• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

CGiRanger

Banned

Gotta love how he also pats himself on the back for "adding a woman" back in his podcast days. Narcissistic to the core. I love how he'll of course ignore pointing out that "how can a game be good with no diversity!?". When of course games of the past (and current) that come from Japan are all made by 99% Japanese devs.

EDIT: Adding in more information on the game devs themselves "Raccoon Logic" (former Typhoon Studio devs from Google/Stadia) with this article here: https://gamasutra.com/view/news/386...d_secure_Savage_Planet_rights_from_Google.php
Chatting to Gamasutra about their broader ambitions for Raccoon, Hutchinson and Schneider spoke of a desire to take risks, act decisively, and commit to being creativity-led rather than production-led.

"While that sounds simple, what it translates to is that we always need to make the best decisions for the project rather than potentially arbitrary dates or initiatives that may not translate into success for the project or studio," Schneider says. "That’s not to say that we don’t have milestones and deadlines -- we absolutely do -- but at the end of the day the creative leadership needs to be able to make the final calls for the game."

Schneider specifically highlights the value of sustainable development, explaining the Typhoon team "never did any crunch or mandated weekends." The co-founders intend to replicate that mindset at Raccoon, and suggest it's vital the entire team feels supported and safe.

You'd think a journo like Schrier would be more interested in a team starting out with the intent of avoiding the dreaded crunch times or mandated work. But nope.

Last edited:

Concern

The Muppets Laughing GIF

elliot5

Gotta love how he also pats himself on the back for "adding a woman" back in his podcast days. Narcissistic to the core. I love how he'll of course ignore pointing out that "how can a game be good with no diversity!?". When of course games of the past (and current) that come from Japan are all made by 99% Japanese devs.

I think Jason is commenting on the 100% male roster not their race. The comparison to Japan is weird.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People are sick of his crunch pieces so he has to try for a new angle apparently.
No doubt.

The guy knows nothing about gaming except whatever tidbits of leftover comments he gets from disgruntled employees or him making up rumours.

I've literally watched one David Jaffe video (the one where he spoke with the Days Gone guy for 2 hours). And I've read or skimmed many Schreier tweets and hit pieces.

Just to show how bad Schreier's content is. I'd put that one Jaffe video as better than all of Schreier's content combined. No joke. And I didn't even watch/listen to the whole video as it was so long but that 90+ minutes I listened of Jaffe talking to that producer was a great listen.

If none of you have seen that Jaffe video, just put it on background noise as you surf the net. There's no need to actually watch Jaffe and the DG's guys faces as they talk.

Then compare the quality of content between just a few hours of game chat vs. Jason S click bait junk. You'll be amazed that you can actually get cool video game insights instead of face in the mud negative stories.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The real reason he is triggered from the article....

Schneider specifically highlights the value of sustainable development, explaining the Typhoon team "never did any crunch or mandated weekends."

I'd like to hear from Jason which of the staff are not qualified to hold the position they are in.

Kenpachii

The real reason he is triggered from the article....

Schneider specifically highlights the value of sustainable development, explaining the Typhoon team "never did any crunch or mandated weekends."

I'd like to hear from Jason which of the staff are not qualified to hold the position they are in.

Blocked. That's his reaction. Those fucks always work in the same way.

Just to show how bad Schreier's content is. I'd put that one Jaffe video as better than all of Schreier's content combined. No joke.
Jaffe's the man. He's actually one of the best game commentators / journalists around.

When you look at professional sports, the journalists and courtside commentators are often star players and ex-coaches. In gaming that is never the case, until Jaffe. Now you have a prominent game director putting some effort into journalism / entertainment. All he's missing is the large budget sound stage. It's still early days for his podcast, but I think he's got potential to be one of the best - and he lands multiple industry interviews for obvious reasons.

How does he know they're not gay? or that there is no trans guy in there? Should they be forced out of the closet so that Jason is more happy? Or should they be forced to dress/pose in a "gayer" way to make it obvious? (assuming there are).
Genuine question. Why does he get hated so much?
Skin deep analysis, that's why... or how about trying to force people to hire based on "representation". It's annoying, and manipulative, people had enough of that destructive way of seeing things.

I can't wait for the reviewers to "analyse" the game: I felt threatened by the smell of white supremacy as soon as I launched the game, I was uncomfortable knowing that no women or trans people of color worked on these lines of code.

NOTE: 0/10 too triggeting

GymWolf

You mean he EVER did a podcast without a woman? Pretty problematic if you ask me. Why is this toxic personality allowed to exist in the current climate? Disgusting.
Pretty sure he was just a dude with a wig but he call him female to not be offensive.

Neilg

Yeah he can get fucked making those kinds of assumptions.
As someone directly responsible for trying to hire women in technical art roles (it genuinely is better for the office culture to have a diverse crowd), you get maybe 1 in 100 even apply, and then the chances that they're who you're looking for is also very slim.
We are down to only men, at our peak of 2 women in a team of 15. One left to become a housewife because her husband was loaded and the other left because she'd done 5 years and wanted to move across the country. they were both low-middle weight, neither senior. I have never seen a job application come in from a women with 10-15 years of experience.

Hari Seldon

Jason Schreier has obviously never tried to recruit women to fill technical roles. It's extremely difficult. I guess he thinks people are supposed to put their business plans and dreams on hold in the name of diversity.

You are supposed to hire blue hairs and the pronoun gang to stock the breakroom but pay them the same as full devs and take their criticism seriously. I mean come on this is 2021. This is how games are made!

GymWolf

Personally, if i was hired because i fulfilled a race/gender/diversity quota I'd be hella annoyed. I want to be hired because I'm the best candidate. Not just the best candidate who was able to tick race/gender/diversity boxes
Most people is like that, only retards are happy to find a job thanks to the color of their skin, hairs colors or based on who they fuck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom