• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

kiphalfton

I didn't believe his age so I had to confirm it on the internet.
It's actually true. He is actually 34 years old. Wow.

He needs to just shave it all off. Not sure why guys let it get all poofy on the sides and have 2 strands of hair on the top of their head.

"

Adding a women made it better.
It wasn't because she was a women.

This guy is insufferable. Why does he keep making it about himself and his experiences. The Jewish comment/analogy doesn't even make any sense, and just makes it look like he's trying to also segue his argument into antisemitism at this point. I think he knows he kicked the wasp nest and is trying to backpedal by changing the subject.

haveagood1

This is the kind of employees they want you to hire:

of92ybaeu4g71.jpg
When you need a strong women.
W9CIQTk.jpg

JumpMan1981

Banned
Love the amount of salt he generates.
Not sure if that's really a good thing in this instance.

The guy is basically encouraging a pile-on against a new game studio before they've even had a chance to release a game.

If the rationale behind it was anything other than "cos the studio is just a bunch of white guys" then I'd imagine there would be significant outrage and condemnation.

It's pretty much a clear cut case of bullying and harassment in the gaming industry and it's being done completely out in the open.

This is the video game industry in 2021? Really?
We're fine with it because the guy that started it all of makes people angry?

Anyone who cares about the gaming industry at all probably should be angry about this.
Some guys announce their new gaming studio and are immediately run out of town by game journalists for no good reason.
It's a good laugh, isn't it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
hates men even though they are the reason she has a roof over her head and doesn't have to take a shit in the woods. for some reason there is not much diversity when it comes to construction work and plumbing, really makes you think. the female equivalent of an incel.
Those people just have no idea what they want and complain. They are the losers in school who nobody liked because they were too crazy and odd, but social media gave them a way to band together. You dont even have to be good looking to be liked, invited to parties and find a spouse.

- Works in an industry that's mostly guys - yet rags on them
- Doesn't like women who look great and get attention - yet dress weird to get attention (complete with tattoos and earrings all over their face) and do Twitter hoping for followers
- Doesn't like men - yet gets short haircuts to look like men
- Complains about corporate profiteering and millionaires - yet has no balls to open up their own business and be a CEO or founder
- Complains about diversity and go beyond skin deep - yet their definition of diversity is looks, and not actual background experience

And thats why (aside from entrepreneurs being their own wacky boss) you never see execs/high level employees being weird SJW/incel kinds of people at any company. There might be a couple here and there, but 99+% of upper management are not weirdos who looked like they got out of bed and dunked their head into a bowl of green dye. They might be able to handle their lower level job tasks, but they have no qualifications (looks, professionalism and making level headed decisions) for higher roles.

Just the act of being a drama queen on social media ragging on people, bosses, the company, other companies etc.... already blacklists their career potential. They might not think of that as they think social media is ok to say whatever you want, but thats not how companies work. Thats why the higher level employee you see at a company the less they get involved in social media aside from clearly business related posts or talking about boring stuff like quarterly earnings.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I think this guy is just bitter that he is 34 and looks like a 55 year old that hasn't taken care of themself.

maxresdefault.jpg

In all honestly though, journalism is a joke at this point. It's littered with trending topics that any "writer" knows it will trigger some, bring in the guilt seekers and hive mind mentality crowd.

JS118651948_allo-allo_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtkVbH_JhwhKpOG03so4XGGhd7o9joNF7U1y8YVnDqAE.jpg

Jasons push for diversity made him a hit with the ladies.

As someone who calls Japan home for the last decade I can tell you there are a lot of non native Japanese people living in Japan. Lots of second generation and biracial children born here all of which have absolutely zero 'representation'. So the fact schrier has no problem playing Japanese games shows his hypocrisy and exposes his real agenda which isn't about improving 'diversity' rather a self loathing manifesting itself with attacks on white men.

Yep , you cant walk down a street in Tokyo and not run into multiple people not born in Japan, Tokyo is pretty multicultural...still very much a minority of course but there are foreign owned stores and restaurants all over as well.
Of course this team that Shrieker was blowing his signalling load all over is likely filled with people from a range of backgrounds to him white = all the same, colonizers.

im 100 percent italian, but born in the US, even as an individual who is different from a lot of other italians i still love and relate to many italian things. Im not a "white" guy nor have i ever seen myself as such. I wont get into the ridiculousness of race as a whole on an anthropolical scale here but suffice to say these race baiters only see things in two shades, black or white or rather in bad and in what makes them feel better about themselves.

Btw i also work for a Japanese game studio, its 99 percent japanese, like most of the game industry, it also has many females. I have worked in the game industry for over ten years now...ive worked at many studios, there has never been a time when there werent a large percent of women working in some capacity there, including in leadership roles. This whole idea that the industry is filled with some frat boy culture....from what ive seen its usually propogated by a clown hair for something unrelated and then pulled out of context into something bigger then it actually is...ie "i didnt like his political or sociological beliefs" therefore i am surrounded by fratboy culture. Its largely nonsense..doesnt mean its zero, nothing is zero....but the idea that all these large companies are harboring toxic male rapists is so overblown and ridiculous...if anything, in my ten years of work ive had to largely keep my mouth shut and be careful of what i say , do or how i joke...outside of work.

Btw as far as diversity in the game industry in japan, its largely due to the knowledge you bring in, it has nothing to do with diversifying the workplace with gaijin to appease twitter groups or social bean counters trying to place simplified stats taken out of context to prove that their jaded marxist college professors were right. In the game industry in Japan, people who know Unreal and game pipelines are heavily in demand because so many of the 3D artists in japan can only make nice fancy high poly CG stuff and are not taught modern pipelines. That's the only reason i was hired....not because the color of my skin

Last edited:

rorepmE

Yep , you cant walk down a street in Tokyo and not run into multiple people not born in Japan, Tokyo is pretty multicultural...still very much a minority of course but there are foreign owned stores and restaurants all over as well.
Of course this team that Shrieker was blowing his signalling load all over is likely filled with people from a range of backgrounds to him white = all the same, colonizers.

im 100 percent italian, but born in the US, even as an individual who is different from a lot of other italians i still love and relate to many italian things. Im not a "white" guy nor have i ever seen myself as such. I wont get into the ridiculousness of race as a whole on an anthropolical scale here but suffice to say these race baiters only see things in two shades, black or white or rather in bad and in what makes them feel better about themselves.

Btw i also work for a Japanese game studio, its 99 percent japanese, like most of the game industry, it also has many females. I have worked in the game industry for over ten years now...ive worked at many studios, there has never been a time when there werent a large percent of women working in some capacity there, including in leadership roles. This whole idea that the industry is filled with some frat boy culture....from what ive seen its usually propogated by a clown hair for something unrelated and then pulled out of context into something bigger then it actually is...ie "i didnt like his political or sociological beliefs" therefore i am surrounded by fratboy culture. Its largely nonsense..doesnt mean its zero, nothing is zero....but the idea that all these large companies are harboring toxic male rapists is so overblown and ridiculous...if anything, in my ten years of work ive had to largely keep my mouth shut and be careful of what i say , do or how i joke...outside of work.

Btw as far as diversity in the game industry in japan, its largely due to the knowledge you bring in, it has nothing to do with diversifying the workplace with gaijin to appease twitter groups or social bean counters trying to place simplified stats taken out of context to prove that their jaded marxist college professors were right. In the game industry in Japan, people who know Unreal and game pipelines are heavily in demand because so many of the 3D artists in japan can only make nice fancy high poly CG stuff and are not taught modern pipelines. That's the only reason i was hired....not because the color of my skin

This am the way it oughta be. Glorious Nippon still reppin'

CGiRanger

Banned
I went to Twitter, asked Mr. Schreier if he thought doing a hit piece on someone in the industry on Twitter was the best way of conducting his journalism and got blocked, 20 seconds after I sent my tweet. This man is utterly insane.
Jesus wtf? 20 seconds and you get blocked? I have to wonder if he's got some sort of auto-block software or something to be doing this to hundreds of people. Normally I'd be hard pressed to believe someone could be so thin-skinned, petty and deranged. But from everything I've read and seen of how Jason is, it just shows what a disgusting and worthless "journalist" he aims to be.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jesus wtf? 20 seconds and you get blocked? I have to wonder if he's got some sort of auto-block software or something to be doing this to hundreds of people. Normally I'd be hard pressed to believe someone could be so thin-skinned, petty and deranged. But from everything I've read and seen of how Jason is, it just shows what a disgusting and worthless "journalist" he aims to be.
I've heard that before where he blocks people fast. It goes to show Schreier is on social media (Twitter 24/7).

He's no journalist either. That's like calling my buddy who had a game site years ago doing posts after dinner and calling him a journalist because he did reviews and opinion pieces.

I've worked at large companies my entire career and could upload an article to the net about anything from dumb shit I saw, to business plans, to how we evaluate company performance. I could even go into details about weird shit I saw like people disappearing on sick leave, a female on the firing line falsely accusing someone of sexual abuse (she got fired anyway lol), and well as one of my old employers where there were tons of long time employees marrying and a wacko love triangle. Some idiots on a company retreat even had cops called because one guy collapsed due to being totally wasted.

I could write endless pages of secret office stupidity + legit corporate strategy.

That doesn't make me a journalist.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't do social media cause it's full o twats and don't know this particularly charming chap but once someone stuck up a photo... Ah man, he looks exactly how I pictured the cunt would look lol, same with the hate all men feminist brigade... Purple hair, why is that these sort of cretins who shout loudest safely tucked away on the internet all look the fucking same?

420bits

Love the amount of salt he generates.

yes, salt...

OR, it could be that this narrative he is pushing with his army of smurfs is fucking dangerous?
He took a random studio he knows fuckall about and strung them up on twitter for his mob to execute them for him because of 1 picture and a fucking rainbow mentality.

How the fuck can't you see that that narrative is insanely dangerous?

I really really hope someone with legal experience decides to blow Jasons life apart in every way possible for the next 60 years.
I don't do social media cause it's full o twats and don't know this particularly charming chap but once someone stuck up a photo... Ah man, he looks exactly how I pictured the cunt would look lol, same with the hate all men feminist brigade... Purple hair, why is that these sort of cretins who shout loudest safely tucked away on the internet all look the fucking same?

Because of their "diversity"...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What did that clown expect?!
For company to put requirements of sex, race and skin color on resume. That's illegal and immoral. Oh sorry we can't hire you because you are not black women! Wtf

It's not company fault who come to their interviews and that more men have dev skills.

Exoil

Yeah, I don't even think that he even had enough time to read my tweet and decide it was negative in 20 seconds. But I don't know what would set an auto blocker off either.

oh look he's upset...again.

why do people keep giving him attention? ignore him and he will crawl back under his rock.

Last edited:
I think this guy is just bitter that he is 34 and looks like a 55 year old that hasn't taken care of themself.

In all honestly though, journalism is a joke at this point. It's littered with trending topics that any "writer" knows it will trigger some, bring in the guilt seekers and hive mind mentality crowd.
i need a NSFW/spoiler tag on that photo. you've ruined my day.

i'd like to see them argue their point outside the safe space of the internet. 1 on 1.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
i need a NSFW/spoiler tag on that photo. you've ruined my day.

i'd like to see them argue their point outside the safe space of the internet. 1 on 1.
YouTuber YongYeq actually debated him once and it ended as well as you could imagine. Further showed that Schreier can not discuss anything without adding insults, shutting down others, etc.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
YouTuber YongYeq actually debated him once and it ended as well as you could imagine. Further showed that Schreier can not discuss anything without adding insults, shutting down others, etc.
Watching that video I was thinking of how freaking hypocritical Schreier sounds and I hate the fact that he ruining the debate on crunch (kind of giving up almost on it… until you are wrecked by it or someone very close to you, I am not sure gamers empathise 🤷‍♂️).

He is constantly accusing others of something and deflecting criticism about himself (attacks YongYeq because of his audience actions, but Schreier’s audience actions are their own and must not reflect on him) for doing the same thing. Blue checkmark people on Twitter should be looked at more closely for the abuse they can cause or direct others to cause… if he does not know what his bullying behaviour with these devs picture would cause he is dangerously careless, if he did know… well…

There is always an excuse why others are abusive and bad and then being abusive is ok… always a way to justify their own cognitive dissonance. I mean he said “if you do not have concrete answers to questions you know are going to cause outrage you possibly should not ask them that way…”… he asks people to consider his body of work, fair, but does he? He is constantly causing outrage or trying to directly or maybe indirectly, but still…

The sad thing? They are not actually really helping the cause they say they champion IMHO, they are hurting it long term IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm legit curious where from these gaming journo dudes seem to have gotten this conceited idea that they're speakers for all of society. They seem to think they're above people and dish out an unquestionable reality. Kinda patronizing to be frank.

He doesnt give up

Mitch Dyer is more than welcome to operate his own business or a startup that way instead of superimposing his worldview onto others.

JASON you idiot, it should be based on skill and talent not the color of your skin or your fucking sex life.
The fact that he blocks people who are concerned about game quality fucking astounds me. Like, what in the flying fuck?

How the fuck did he get into gaming journalism when he's not concerned or interested about game quality? - Does he even like video games?

Yeah I was blocked within seconds as well, I responded to him saying he would block people who brought up that the best should be hired instead (or something like that) and I said "so you'll block people for having a logical reply to what you said?" and within 10-20 seconds I was blocked. Someone needs to point out to him that he's being sexist, racist and phobic every time he says that people should hire someone based on what they were born, that's basically him saying those people couldn't be "the best" so you have to hire them for other reasons when in reality if you always go for the best you'll eventually get people form all kinds of backgrounds and both genders, it may not be in equal number but in time as the company grows it will become more diverse based on qualifications.

I feel like contributing to this thread is only going to fuel the controversy around this loser of a word peddler but I’m not aware of whether this specific point has been raised yet.

Isn’t it a bit of a no-no in this industry, hell, in any kind of industry, to run a smear campaign on an actor just entering the market based on nothing but the will the generate outrage and promote hatred?
Frankly, I’m appalled that other well established studios haven’t gone on record to ostracize this kind of behavior. It’s basically legalized blackmail “Do as I say or I’ll ruin your public image” It’s so counterproductive and scummy, if I were the CEO I’d honestly push for a libel lawsuit.
I hope this studio will get all the support they need and hopefully enjoy financial success, they look like a happy bunch.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
I feel like contributing to this thread is only going to fuel the controversy around this loser of a word peddler but I’m not aware of whether this specific point has been raised yet.

Isn’t it a bit no-no in this industry, hell, in any kind of industry, to run a smear campaign on an actor just entering the market based on nothing but the will the generate outrage and promote hatred?
Frankly, I’m appalled that other well established studios haven’t gone on record to ostracize this kind of behavior. It’s basically legalized blackmail “Do as I say or I’ll ruin your public image” It’s so counterproductive and scummy, if I were the CEO I’d honestly push for a libel lawsuit.
I hope this studio will get all the support they need and hopefully enjoy financial success, they look like a happy bunch.

Unfortunately, previous events have made games journalists almost untouchable in that regard.
You try to criticize them and it won't be long before it's implied that you support a certain "hate group".

The way you've described it is exactly the way it is.
A group of people set up a new game studio and post an announcement and photo of themselves.
Games journalist sees an opportunity for a bit of controversy and creates a pile-on.
Everybody lets it happen because to criticize the journo in question will just direct the mob to themselves.

So nobody says anything.

This is probably going to be a bigger issue for indie developers where there probably isn't a lot of wiggle room if you want to get things right. Imagine you've got yourself and 4 developer friends thinking "let's make a game" but then you also have to make sure that you find a few individuals that check the correct boxes. That's really, really, weird to me.

I genuinely wonder just how toxic the indie scene actually is. These are the stories we hear about but I'd bet that worse stuff goes on behind the scenes. Bullying, harassment etc.

ManaByte

日本が大好きです

EDMIX

lolz to the people who think the Twitter moderators think any differently. They're in SAN FRANCISCO.

yet even there, you don't just have 1 type of person.

You can get hired to do moderator stuff literally all over the US as many of those jobs are remote lol

To my understanding, more then half of Twitter works remotely, but that isn't really shocking tbh.

I don't even understand where this shit comes from where people think 100% of any company MUST believe in some concept based on the location of the main headquarters.

So you have people that work for Home Depot that are not conservative, you have people that work for Walmart that are not Christian...i'm shocked I even needed to fucking say that lol I don't know how you'd ever get any company to have 100% all people agreeing with the same shit, you can't even have that in any party, you can't have that even in a religion, but hey a company will magically do the unthinkable and have 100% staff that all believe the same things, verbatim? Unlikely friend..., like massively unlikely.

Shit, for all you know most of them are not even based in the united states lol Never mind "San Francisco", they might not even be in the US at all bud. Not everyone really cares about this shit....

Last edited:
Top Bottom