• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

maxcriden

Has anyone said yet (a) how often this happens and (b) how long it takes to fix/get it to re-sync/basically how disruptive it is?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You mean the console was rushed when it wasn't ready to meet a financial quarter?
Hardware wise the console seems on point. Wouldn't call it rushed because of this issue, if it's indeed something firmware related.

Otnopolit

Totally agree that Nintendo needs to get out in front of this with a statement. There is already a day 1 update that console needs to perform a lot of its functions, so hopefully that's a good place to slip in the fix if it isn't already there.

In the meantime, I'm #TeamSoftware.

j-wood

It's obviously software related.

The joycon loses the signal when it's attached /unattached aka changes profile ( -> software).

The PS4 had similar issues when it launched.

If it was "obviously software" related, that would imply that EVERY outlet should be seeing the issue, since they are all running the same software.

The only way it wouldn't be hardware is if there is a specific set of actions that trigger the desync that multiple different venues are performing, without communicating to each other.

If it was "obviously software" related, that would imply that EVERY outlet should be seeing the issue, since they are all running the same software.

The only way it wouldn't be hardware is if there is a specific set of actions that trigger the desync that multiple different venues are performing, without communicating to each other.

Not really, when you buy a game every one doesn't experience the same issues do they.

It could be a number things like a production issue in a couple of their lines to a couple of lines of messy code.

I would imagine that Nintendo were well aware of this before this week, so hopefully it is just a minor thing.

#2 isn't unheard of, its how most wireless earbuds work, but that seems odd given that you are supposed to be able to use the Joy-Cons independently.

From what they've shown so far, when used independently another Joycon is always in the same proximity yes? So there is possibility that the left is the slave unit and only the right Joycon actually connects to the Switch.Somebody should do a test by putting the right one far away to see if the left works.

nynt9

Dismissing this as "it will be fixed with a day one patch" isn't helpful, neither is "the switch is doomed". The correct play is to make noise about this so that Nintendo addresses it and tells us whether it's a hardware or software issue and gives us a plan of action to fix it.

They've been staggeringly opaque with the switch and they need to be more transparent.

Not true, the controllers are likely to have firmware themselves (see xbox 1 controllers). In which case, it's possible that older manufactured controllers have older ones.

bomblord1

Banned
Looking at the press outlets having issues and their previous and recent Nintendo articles.

I'm wondering if Nintendo sent them bad ones on purpose :p

From what they've shown so far, when used independently another Joycon is always in the same proximity yes? So there is possibility that the left is the slave unit and only the right Joycon actually connects to the WiiU. Somebody should do a test by putting the right one far away to see if the left works.

That seems illogical, because you if you buy an extra set for multiplayer, and you only have 3 people, any joycon should work.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
CREORDER PANCELED

time to go nuclear guys
i'll just enjoy zelda day 1 alone

Impulsor

Basically.

Everything about the Switch screams rush job, this is just another thing to add to the pile.

Caveat Emptor.

I'm really hyped for the switch, but I completely agree with this.

My impression, for launch line-up to missing features and adding these hardware problems is that the console HAD to come out before the end of this fiscal year.

Dismissing this as "it will be fixed with a day one patch" isn't helpful, neither is "the switch is doomed". The correct play is to make noise about this so that Nintendo addresses it and tells us whether it's a hardware or software issue and gives us a plan of action to fix it.

What makes you think they aren't seeing this? We forget, reviewers got these preview systems earlier and these problems we're now just hearing about they knew of some time ago and have, presumably, already notified Nintendo

cheezcake

Running the same software does not mean everyone has the same issue (yay concurrency)

See: a bunch of modern game bugs

jonno394

Not overly concerned, but will be annoying if they aren't fixed day 1. I wonder why none of this was reported during preview events etc, makes me hope it's confined to very rare occasions.

Skyzard

Banned
What if it's hardware related and they have to replace a batch of left joy-cons?

Or worse, they don't replace anything. Claim it affects a small amount of people. Or don't even mention it and fix it with later produced switches.

Nintendo needs to get on this asap really.

jblank83

Or worse, they don't replace anything. Claim it affects a small amount of people. Or don't even mention it and fix it with later produced switches.

Nintendo's repair warranty has always been solid.

If it's hardware related, this scenario seems unlikely.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
3-4 reports of this issue after hundreds tried the switch at hands-on events and never reported the issue.

Let's not go crazy

Lothars

Not overly concerned, but will be annoying if they aren't fixed day 1. I wonder why none of this was reported during preview events etc, makes me hope it's confined to very rare occasions.
There was a video posted during a 1-2 Switch preview that did show it. So it's possible it existed before.

jonno394

Someone in the other thread suggested it can be an issue of wireless interference with certain routers.

I was thinking that myself.

Seriously though, as long as the game pauses when de-sync occurs, then you just resync and it works again, then all this will be is a minor annoyance until it's fixed for me.

Now, if the controller just stops working and it doesn't pause and you just realise by lack of action on screen, that will be very annoying.

killroy87

There was a couple random mentions of this happening at the preview event, I can't remember from where (maybe easy allies?).

Seriously though, as long as the game pauses when de-sync occurs, then you just resync and it works again, then all this will be is a minor annoyance until it's fixed for me.

Now, if the controller just stops working and it doesn't pause and you just realise by lack of action on screen, that will be very annoying.

I don't think this is the case reading the poygon preview

The biggest current issue with the Switch is one of basic reliability. Over the course of my time with Breath of the Wild, I've had repeated problems with the left Joy-Con controller partially or even completely losing sync from the Switch console while docked and connected to my television. This is a pain in the ass at best, but has also resulted in several deaths playing Breath of the Wild.

The Boat

I can confirm this, my left Joy-Con's stick also acts up randomly. Sometimes it stays ages without happening, bit it usually comes back. It's not very regular, but it's very annoying. The game doesn't pause to resync, because the controller is still synced. It usually goes away in a few seconds.

Supposedly it's affecting a small percentage of review units sent.

Sidenote: my steam controller has also been showing connectivity issues playing in the same place I play Switch the last few days.

Sounds like that's what happens. The Polygon writer said this got him into a number of accidental deaths.

xrnzaaas

Hopefully a firmware fix. If not... Well.

40c716f938f02773d0d2bec09808d8551e24ddbad795f39e61bbde04c2b4a374.jpg

Kiro

As long as this isn't a problem in the switch console hardware it should be fine. Either firmware or replace a single Joycon will fix the issue.

Zelda here we come!

Berordn

Sounds like that's what happens. The Polygon writer said this got him into a number of accidental deaths.

But so far we only have confirmation this is happening in Zelda? Not in the OS?

Because that sounds like a bug in the game if so (which still sucks considering its the flagship title).

Top Bottom