• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiversus is a Warner Bros. riff on Smash Bros., and it may go free-to-play

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Like Smash Bros., Multiversus is a platform fighter. It features characters like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, Tom & Jerry, Batman, and more. I’ve confirmed that this game is real and these details are accurate as of today. But while some reports claim that Mortal Kombat developer NetherRealm Studios is working on the game, that is not the case.

WB Interactive has tested Multiversus with some fans. The early word is that the game feels like it is on a tight budget — although Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl has proven that that isn’t necessarily an issue for this genre. WB is also potentially considering making the game free-to-play.

Regardless of the upfront business model, though, you should expect WB to lean into releasing DLC fighters. I’ve heard rumblings that WB is considering bringing in characters from its Space Jam films, including a certain active NBA star.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
from Lord of the Rings,

NO! DEAR GOD! NOOOOOO!

FFS, stop pissing on Tolkien's grave. His works have already been trashed by WB with Shadow of Mordor/War. Now they want to throw his characters into this Smash Bros rip off so we can have Gandalf mixing it up with Scrappy Doo and Tom the cat?!?!

FUCK YOU WB.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
from Lord of the Rings,

NO! DEAR GOD! NOOOOOO!

FFS, stop pissing on Tolkien's grave. His works have already been trashed by WB with Shadow of Mordor/War. Now they want to throw his characters into this Smash Bros rip off so we can have Gandalf mixing it up with Scrappy Doo and Tom the cat?!?!

FUCK YOU WB.
Lol what? Gandalf is fake and Tolkien is dead. Neither one of them cares.

Holammer

You just know there's gonna be a playable droog in that game.

image-asset.jpeg

IDKFA

Lol what? Gandalf is fake and Tolkien is dead. Neither one of them cares.

Lord of the Rings is a true work of art. It was Tolkien's life work. His magnum opus. It drew from his experiences in fighting in world war 1, as well being inspired by his passion of Germanic mythology and even his relationship with his wife.

To have this deeply, personal work of art mixed in with Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo is just disrespectful to his life work, regardless if he's dead or if his work was just fiction.

It would be like throwing characters from A Christmas Carol into Fortnite with fucking Tiny Tim and Jacob Marley skins and back bling. Bizarre and insulting.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Like Smash Bros., Multiversus is a platform fighter. It features characters like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, Tom & Jerry, Batman, and more. I’ve confirmed that this game is real and these details are accurate as of today. But while some reports claim that Mortal Kombat developer NetherRealm Studios is working on the game, that is not the case.

WB Interactive has tested Multiversus with some fans. The early word is that the game feels like it is on a tight budget — although Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl has proven that that isn’t necessarily an issue for this genre. WB is also potentially considering making the game free-to-play.

Regardless of the upfront business model, though, you should expect WB to lean into releasing DLC fighters. I’ve heard rumblings that WB is considering bringing in characters from its Space Jam films, including a certain active NBA star.

I had seen this part as well and thought no fkn way would NRS be doing this. Glad they aren't!!

kiphalfton

He's right though...both shadow of Mordor games were so fucking bad. Trying to kill the lore making it canon. Now Gollum game...gtfo

Those who said the game was actually good, fuck you. I got both games, and only got through a couple hours of SoM before I had to call it quits. Gotta be THE most repetitive game I've ever played. Also the game "world" (more accurately "area") was trash. I looked at the other areas in a video on YouTube, and they too suck and are centered around a particular area-type.

theclaw135

Banned
It is peculiar WB hasn't opened the floodgates for one of their studios to tackle the veritable mountain of a library. Though corporate red tape complicates matters. Brand management is somewhat divided between DC Comics, New Line, Cartoon Network, the Midway properties, etc.

Lord of the Rings is a true work of art. It was Tolkien's life work. His magnum opus. It drew from his experiences in fighting in world war 1, as well being inspired by his passion of Germanic mythology and even his relationship with his wife.

To have this deeply, personal work of art mixed in with Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo is just disrespectful to his life work, regardless if he's dead or if his work was just fiction.

It would be like throwing characters from A Christmas Carol into Fortnite with fucking Tiny Tim and Jacob Marley skins and back bling. Bizarre and insulting.
Given the world we live in, you should realise by now that nothing is sacred if it can make a dollar.

TLZ

Banned
Those who said the game was actually good, fuck you. I got both games, and only got through a couple hours of SoM before I had to call it quits. Gotta be THE most repetitive game I've ever played. Also the game "world" (more accurately "area") was trash. I looked at the other areas in a video on YouTube, and they too suck and are centered around a particular area-type.
No. Fuck you. Shadow of Mordor was great. How's that?

Tigerlord

In my opinion, they are doing this because Disney and Nickelodeon are doing it and want the bucks for it.
It's made worse with the Super Shaggy memes...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

This is the same work that described a forest for twenty-three pages in size 8 font and immediately moved on to a crossover episode with Tom BOMBAdil. It also inspired subway vandalism from angry British nerds. That shit costs money to fix. Frodo Lives! So do the sad mother fuckers who have to power wash the walls to get rid of your fucking spray paint. Chodes. Moreover, the movies added favorites like (but not limited to):

PO-TAE-TOES. BOIL EM, MASH EM, STICK EM IN A STEW

Tell me where is Gandalf? I much desire to speak to him!

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!

What is it? What do you smell? MAN FLESH

LOOKS LIKE MEAT IS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

The entire Hobbit trilogy, culminating in Ian Mckellan in full costume, literally crying because he was losing his mind surrounded by green screens and pretending to talk to CGI characters.

Tolkien won't roll over in his grave for Gandalf vs. Scooby Doo. He's already rocketed out of it like a fucking stinger missile from all the aforementioned atrocities.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

He also drew from his deep religious beliefs. Something that people want to leave out for some mysterious reason...

Last edited:

Marvel

could never
from Lord of the Rings,

NO! DEAR GOD! NOOOOOO!

FUCK YOU WB.
Lol nerd

SSfox

GSOiBeq.jpg

Posting the image in case WB DMCA's the tweet. They took down the video in no time.

I was under the impression it was a Smash Bros type game? But characters have symbols (melee/tank etc) you'd expect from a MOBA.
I don't play Smash, so what do I know?
It's cleary not a NRS game.

from Lord of the Rings,

NO! DEAR GOD! NOOOOOO!

FUCK YOU WB.
Who cares? Anyone withs their bolts screwed and is a fan of his work doesn’t care if a wizard in a video game called Gandalf exists.

Next Batman series.
Classic-Batman-2.jpg

Batman is RUINED.

IDKFA

Moreover, the movies added favorites like (but not limited to):

PO-TAE-TOES. BOIL EM, MASH EM, STICK EM IN A STEW

Tell me where is Gandalf? I much desire to speak to him!

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!

What is it? What do you smell? MAN FLESH

LOOKS LIKE MEAT IS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

The entire Hobbit trilogy, culminating in Ian Mckellan in full costume, literally crying because he was losing his mind surrounded by green screens and pretending to talk to CGI characters.

Tolkien won't roll over in his grave for Gandalf vs. Scooby Doo. He's already rocketed out of it like a fucking stinger missile from all the aforementioned atrocities.

The original trilogy was good for what it was. It wasn't perfect, but it had to appeal to the general public. Overall, Jackson did a decent job, especially considering the Lord of the Rings was once deemed impossible to adapt to film.

The Hobbit movies were absolutely shit and the less said about those films the better.

Tolkien wouldn't have enjoyed the LOTR trilogy of films, and I'm sure he would have absolutely hated what WB did with the Hobbit, but regardless of that, they were film adaptations of his books and at least tired to be respectful, while at the same time also trying to appeal to majority of the public.

There was no intended disrespect. No crazy camo appearance of Batman mixing it up at the battle of the five armies, or some x-rated scene of Gandalf sucking off Bilbo to completion. That's disrespectful to the source material and that's exactly what this game would do.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If they throw money at this it could unironically be good competition with Smash. Not as good but second best is better than nothing.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The original trilogy was good for what it was. It wasn't perfect, but it had to appeal to the general public. Overall, Jackson did a decent job, especially considering the Lord of the Rings was once deemed impossible to adapt to film.

The Hobbit movies were absolutely shit and the less said about those films the better.

Tolkien wouldn't have enjoyed the LOTR trilogy of films, and I'm sure he would have absolutely hated what WB did with the Hobbit, but regardless of that, they were film adaptations of his books and at least tired to be respectful, while at the same time also trying to appeal to majority of the public.

There was no intended disrespect. No crazy camo appearance of Batman mixing it up at the battle of the five armies, or some x-rated scene of Gandalf sucking off Bilbo to completion. That's disrespectful to the source material and that's exactly what this game would do.

Yeah, I'm mostly just taking the piss. I enjoyed all three LotR movies (extended editions, no less) but this does seem like a weird ass, death of the author collab.

Top Bottom