• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murder in the Hotel Lisbon | OT | Low-fi retro 80's Adventure Awesomesauceness

[HP]

summary1.jpg

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon
On sale on the 5th of December 2013.

WINDOWS / MAC / LINUX
9.99€ / £9.99 / $9.99

Buy it on the official website -
http://caseandbot.com/
On Desura - http://www.desura.com/games/murder-in-the-hotel-lisbon
Or vote on Steam Greenlight to get it there -
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175472897

screenshot_anim_03.gif

SYNOPSIS
A strange murder has occurred in the Hotel Lisbon, a man committed
suicide with 14 stabs to the back while at the same time he peacefully
drank his coffee. This case with contradictory facts was too complex
for Policeman Garcia to solve, so he decided to hire the only
detective duo in town capable of solving it: the mythical Detective
Case and the unmistakable Clown Bot.
Together, they will solve a network of love relations so complex and
so intricate, that it would take at least 14 clairvoyants, 5
apocalyptic sect prophets who can predict the end of the world and 3
of those gypsies that can read the palm of your hand just to guess the
final outcome.

THE VIDEOGAME
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon is a videogame inspired by the classic
point and click adventures from the 80's and 90's. It adopts these
eras characteristically design and it is built using only the pixel
art technique. The game itself runs at a native resolution of 256x192,
the same resolution used by the old ZX Spectrum 48k and most recently
by the Nintendo DS.

caseandbot_profileheader.jpg

MAIN FEATURES
There are thousands of features and things to do in this game, like
clicking on the Ground to make Detective Case move or reading through
extensive and boring Dialogues. Here are the main bulletpoints taken
from the producer powerpoint presentation.

- Play as Detective Case and Clown Bot (duh!)
- Gather items and manage your inventory.
- Search for clues and interview witnesses.
- Solve the murder in the Hotel Lisbon.
- Includes 3 aditional cases.

INVENTORY
Clown Bot manages the inventory.
He is capable of carrying an infinite amount of items because he...
er... is capable of... er... well, you have to see it in-game to
believe it because it is all very complicated and involves an octopus.

INTERFACE
Play as Detective Case and Clown Bot.
Interact with things and stuff using your mouse. Click on doors,
people, items and random stuff and see a radial pop-up menu appear!
It's magical! You can even click on Clown Bot and ask for a random
joke.

CHARACTERS
A cast of thousands.
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon has a cast of thousands, but unfortunately
only a few accepted to work for free to be in the game. It has
something to do with "onions" or whatever.

SIDEQUESTS
3 aditional cases.
Are you tired of the main case? Stuck on some stupid awfull puzzle?
You can always go for a sidequest and relieve your tension with an
easier assignement!

SCREENSHOTS

AWESOME TRAILER
OFFICIAL WEBSITE
INDIEBD
PAGE

STEAM
GREENLIGHT

steam_characters2.png

PS. This game was made by some very good friends of mine, and ex co-workers and I wish them all the best, it's looking great! Hope it gets some more well deserved attention here on GAF!
Also, thanks to Filipe Pina, artist in the game that made the OP, I'm only posting it! Best of lucks guys!

F-Pina

Ha! Thanks HP! The OT is finally here! nice.

@ MulderWasTaken: testers and previews clocked it in between the 5 and 8 hour mark. It dependes on how fast or slow you take it all in :)

Tizoc

Oh hey I pre-ordered this weeks ago, so I should get the installer in the next few days since I got it from the game's main website.

Hasney

[HP];92305165 said:
INVENTORY
Clown Bot manages the inventory.
He is capable of carrying an infinite amount of items because he...
er... is capable of... er... well, you have to see it in-game to
believe it because it is all very complicated and involves an octopus.

No idea what it says about me, but this sold me on it.

ohohdave

Yuss!

Absolutely proud to see this game getting more and more press. But seeing it on nicely OP on GAF... *_* priceless!

Everyone needs to check this out. Righteous peeps made it.

F-Pina

Have the team said if they plan to release this game on any other systems?

Yes we do. We plan to release it on as many systems as possible.
We will first port it to iOS and Android (Ouya included) and depending on sales the sky is the limit! Or maybe not, our patience is the limit since some platforms are a pain to port to.

@ohohdave: cheerios! :D

kiguel182

I've been trying to get into more point and click type of games, and this looks pretty great.

Also, it's portuguese so another reason to support it. We need more portuguese devs.

Good luck for launch, voted for it on Steam Greenlight!

F-Pina

:O
Did they give a reason you can share? Would it be helpful or hindersome if people emailed them asking for them to change their decision?

Yes, they were very kind and explained why.
I don't want to splatter our discussions online for everyone to read since I like to keep these things private. But basically they feel like our game does not stand out in the adventure genre. They also said what they liked and what they didn't like and some things we agree and others we don't.

We would appreciate it if people asked the game on GOG of course, but they are in their right to refuse our game on sale there. It's their portal.

Somebody created a wishlist for our game there on gog.
I have to go and tell them the bad news.

Tizoc

Hope you guys make it to gog.com eventually =)

Sorry for asking this but when can I started dling and playing the game? I've had the confirmation of my pre-order for months but I don't think I got an email about the game's release.

F-Pina

Hope you guys make it to gog.com eventually =)

Sorry for asking this but when can I started dling and playing the game? I've had the confirmation of my pre-order for months but I don't think I got an email about the game's release.

The system is a bit stupid, sorry about that.
You can just go to your original email from the website and click the links you got when you pre-ordered.

Tizoc

Heh ok found the email and installed the game. Only played like 10 mins but I like it so far.
One thing though is the game supposed to look so...pixelated? Not that I'm complaining but it took a little getting used to at first.

Music is quite catchy btw.

F-Pina

Heh ok found the email and installed the game. Only played like 10 mins but I like it so far.
One thing though is the game supposed to look so...pixelated? Not that I'm complaining but it took a little getting used to at first.
Music is quite catchy btw.

Yes, we are using the 256x192 resolution that is also the original ZX Spectrum 48k and the Nintendo DS resolutions. Text is rendered with double that.
And if you like the music you should definitely check the GAF Bar or Noitadas Restaurant ;)

We also released a 1.01 version this past week, so please check if you already downloaded the new version (check the Readme) or if it is still the 1.0 one.

feel

My name is also Filipe and I'm also Portuguese, so this will definitely be bought when it hits Steam. Also because it looks great.

Tizoc

Yes, we are using the 256x192 resolution that is also the original ZX Spectrum 48k and the Nintendo DS resolutions. Text is rendered with double that.
And if you like the music you should definitely check the GAF Bar or Noitadas Restaurant ;)

We also released a 1.01 version this past week, so please check if you already downloaded the new version (check the Readme) or if it is still the 1.0 one.

I'm gonna assume I have 1.0, where am I supposed to find the readme please?
Also please do excuse me if this is port begging but I would love to see what this game'd look like on the PS Vita's screen or heck even on the 3DS =X

Of course! I had a speccy when i was a kid and i thought that aside from the UK i always remember Spanish and Portuguese games on it. Sir Fred and Game Over spring immediately to mind. Good to see a nod to the Speccy even if it is just the resolution of the game. Tenuous i know but any mention of the Speccy on this forum is to be treasured :)

I need to check my email, i can't remember if i bought it and haven't got round to it yet or if it's something i'll be buying tomorrow!

F-Pina

@Tizoc: the readme is in the same folder where the game is installed. It also appears as a shortcut in the start menu programs of windows near the CaseBot icon. On the next update we will probably put up a small text in the menu with the version.

@EdwardTivrusky: awesome :) I played on the Speccy a lot when I was a kid. In Portugal we had a factory of Timex who manufactured it's own version with a license from Sinclair. We exported to other countries as well but it was inferior in regards to the rubber keyboard.

Tizoc

Ah I have 1.0, do I need to download and install the game again? If so from where should I do that?

F-Pina

Ah I have 1.0, do I need to download and install the game again? If so from where should I do that?

Yes, just download and install again on top. Or uninstall first and install the new one.
The save games are not removed so you will have them when you go back in the game no matter what you do.

Tizoc

Yes, just download and install again on top. Or uninstall first and install the new one.
The save games are not removed so you will have them when you go back in the game no matter what you do.

I keep getting an error 'password expired' whenever I try to re-download the game from the e-mail that links to the installer.

EDIT: BTW do those that pre-ordered also get a Desura key by any chance?

F-Pina

@Jacobi: ports will come, but a console port is an expensive affair. And since we used Game Maker we will have to do a lot of things from scratch so this only depends from sales.

@Tizoc: Desura keys are coming, we are sorting out the automated system that gets the keys from Desura and then sends out by email to everyone. And check your PMs. The password glitch happened with a few buyers, BMT Micro is to blame.

F-Pina

@Darkmakaimura: that is awesome in a lot of ways :D
@Haunted: yes, it is the GAF Bar. But it doesn't mean "Gaming Age Forums", instead it means "Good Alchool Forever"

Ok, some good news!
We made it to the TOP 100 on the 2013 IndieDB Awards. Voting is now on it's second phase to make it to the TOP 10. If you guys voted before, you can vote again by going to the official page HERE. No need to register. Also, we are the only Point'n'Click game there :D

And in other news, you wish you could listen to one of the sweet tracks that comes with our game anytime you want too? NOW YOU CAN! Well, at least one track you can :)
MP3 file with very high quality to donwload here -> Streets of the 80's

CHEERIOS!

I might have to play this just to see the GAF bar :p

@Darkmakaimura: that is awesome in a lot of ways :D
@Haunted: yes, it is the GAF Bar. But it doesn't mean "Gaming Age Forums", instead it means "Good Alchool Forever"

Ok, some good news!
We made it to the TOP 100 on the 2013 IndieDB Awards. Voting is now on it's second phase to make it to the TOP 10. If you guys voted before, you can vote again by going to the official page HERE. No need to register. Also, we are the only Point'n'Click game there :D

The game doesn't show up in the adventure category, would make it a faster search for people to vote rather than searching it for themselves.
murder_in_hotel_lisbon_indiedb_by_digi_matrix-d6y9qy3.png

F-Pina

Yes, I know, we have a category all for ourselves, Point'n'Click.
But I made the same mistake and searched first for our game in the Adventure section. But they put us on the P'n'C so, I don't know if this is good or bad...

F-Pina

Freekey Fridays is giving away 5 keys with 4 games including our own!
The coolest part about this is that we got bundled with the nice folks at Double Fine with 2 games, Broken Age and Spacebase DF9! AWESOME!

Here is the full list of games
Broken Age from Double Fine (Steam, Windows, Linux, Mac), Spacebase DF-9 from Double Fine (Steam, Windows, Mac, Linux), Extrasolar from Lazy 8 Studios (Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android), and Murder in the Hotel Lisbon from Nerd Monkeys (Desura, Windows, Mac, Linux)

F-Pina

Hey fellow devs.
We decided to do something a bit different with our indie game "Murder in the Hotel Lisbon". (or Desura link)
Instead of releasing a demo we decided to do a free episode that is not included in the game. It is a small story that gives the players a taste of our little game.

But we decided to go a step further and address a current political/academic issue in our country, the freshman welcoming that includes very dubious initiation rituals called "praxe". Earlier this year, 5 freshman students died on a beach at night when the sea engulfed them all while they were supposedly performing one of these rituals.
In our mini-episode Detective Case is hired by senior students to find a hiding freshman so they can perform the "praxe" on him. The player will have to make some important decisions about this.

Unfortunately the free episode is only in Portuguese, but anyone can download and check out our graphics, music and gameplay.

Download here - http://demo.caseandbot.com/

demo_01.png

Tizoc

I need to get around to finishing this game up, might continue it along with my Ys 1 playthrough.

Have you considered releasing the game on any other systems?

F-Pina

I need to get around to finishing this game up, might continue it along with my Ys 1 playthrough.

Have you considered releasing the game on any other systems?

Yes we have.
Android and iOS are the next thing for our game, but first we are doing a huge update with bugs fixed, more animations and two new big cases totally free.
Also, the mobile version as a different user interface to search for the items that takes into account the fact that you don't have a mouse and you are touching the screen.

Top Bottom