• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Murdered' Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko is alive

JDB

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44307611

"Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko, widely reported to have been assassinated in Kiev on Tuesday, is alive and well.

Mr Babchenko, a high-profile critic of the Kremlin, appeared at a press conference on Ukrainian TV on Wednesday.

The head of Ukraine's security services, Vasyl Hrytsak, told reporters the "murder" had been staged to expose Russian agents.

"According to information received by the Ukrainian security service, the killing of Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko was ordered by the Russian security services themselves," Mr Hrytsak said.

Mr Babchenko thanked the Russian security services for saving his life. It was not immediately clear exactly how the fake murder was staged.

The Russian foreign ministry said in a statement it was happy that Mr Babchenko was alive. Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the staged murder was done for "propagandistic effect", Russia's Interfax news agency reported.

The journalist was reportedly found by his wife bleeding at the entrance to his block of flats, shot several times in the back, and died in an ambulance.

He apparently did not tell his wife that the murder had been staged. "Special apologies to my wife," he said at the press conference.

Police said that they had made one arrest in connection with the extraordinary operation.

A well-known Kremlin critic, Mr Babchenko stood in unofficial elections organised by the opposition in 2012 and denounced Russia's actions in Syria and eastern Ukraine.

He fled Russia in 2017 after receiving death threats over a post he made on social media."

What even

JDB

Banned
"Death threats through social media"

I just hate social media, that's all I was trying to say.
Ah yeah fair enough. Gotta wonder what kind of threats we're talking about here. Imagine it's not just internet dudes saying edgy stuff.

NickFire

Don't believe a word this guy says. Putin clearly learned to make the dead walk and talk to cover up his crime. Probably only hours or days tops before the trick is turned on the US and our cable news starts resembling live action walking dead episodes. We are all so screwed. Thanks a lot Trump.

JDB

Banned
Don't believe a word this guy says. Putin clearly learned to make the dead walk and talk to cover up his crime. Probably only hours or days tops before the trick is turned on the US and our cable news starts resembling live action walking dead episodes. We are all so screwed. Thanks a lot Trump.
Wew

lil puff

If this is as currently reported, it's by far one of the more interesting stories I've heard in awhile.

Just this morning I was listening to news like "damn this guy got shot in the back 5 times?"

buizel

Banned
Yeah YouTube is not like Twitter and Facebook. In my opinion they are very different platforms. And yes I love my YouTube personalities. Need suggestions?

Lol at the guy trying to take you down a notch. YET YOU LIKE TO WATCH TV. YET YOU LIKE TO READ WORDS WRITTEN ON PAPER. LOLLLOLOL.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Damn Ukraine really went all out here. Glad they foiled the actual assassins, and managed to make an arrest even.

That's really cool.

TrainedRage

Banned
You’re right. YouTube is worse.
The comments are more predictable (super negative or rabid fanboy) and its taken less as Gospel by most other news media. Where as twitter and Facebook are linked to as reliable news sources these days. That's my point. Oh and the fact that YouTube is a free source of video platform that has many good opinions and creators that have vast libraries of work/entertainment.

Shock, a country that's full of people who hate each other, tried to kill a idolised outspoken member

If only sudan, Yugoslavia and other countries were examples of the same shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom