• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

danmaku

The arcade version of AK was basically a beta with some weird rules, like the 256 limit for chains. Scorers broke the game in no time and lost interest pretty quickly. The 360 version added a revised version of the arcade system (much better imho) and an entirely new mode... and bombed again. But to be fair, all latest Cave ports had low sales, so much that DDP Saidaioujou was made only with the help of Microsoft. I feel that AK deserves another chance, but realistically speaking there are other titles that will probably sell more (and AK even had a western release).

danmaku

Could anyone recommend an arcade stick? I'd like to know what to buy

The best sticks are the ones with original arcade parts, usually Sanwa or Seimitsu. Madcatz and Hori have several models, and all 360 sticks will work on PC. They're quite expensive, but very reliable so you can get a used stick if you want to spend less.

Deques

The boss achievements all worked for me. Sure you weren't offline at the time? I'm pretty sure they work on any difficulty/mode.

Did you actually kill the bosses or did they time out? I believe you're not awarded the achievement if they die by time limit.

I think unlocking achievements is bugged. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Not sure why. Hopefully they fix this problem.

The best sticks are the ones with original arcade parts, usually Sanwa or Seimitsu. Madcatz and Hori have several models, and all 360 sticks will work on PC. They're quite expensive, but very reliable so you can get a used stick if you want to spend less.

Thanks, I will take a look on these brands

linid0t

Qanba makes some pretty good sticks too, I've heard.

Anyone got any recommendations for regular controllers? Won't be able to bring my stick with me for the holidays but I still want to play some arcade games. What's got a good dpad?

Sorry if it was mentioned and I somehow totally missed it [again]. Just noticed the site got a major update. Looking nice. http://www.caveshmups.com/ (impending next game announcement in a couple weeks!)

As far as sticks.. if you have any way to try the big brands (Sanwa or Seimitsu) in person I would highly recommend it as they each have a different feel and some prefer one over the other.

MrDoctor

PS3 sticks also work on PC, or at least my Hori sticks do.

PS3 sticks also work on PC, or at least my Hori sticks do.

You have to be a little more careful about PS3 sticks. There was at least one run of MadCatz sticks that had strange compatibility issues with at least one brand of PC USB controller chipset. Buying anything that came along after the Street Fighter IV line should be good though.

Saikyo

New patch

Support For Vertical Aspect Ratios

Mushihimesama V1.1.6.1 - 12/15/2015
Optimizations to reduce or eliminate microstuttering/frame hitching.
Corrected a visual error that would cause the true last boss health bar to display incorrectly in V1.5 Ultra mode.
Added support for fullscreen tate (vertical aspect ratios) on 3:4 and 9:16 monitors. You can adjust this using the "Aspect Ratio" setting. Support for 16:10, 5:4, 4:5, and 10:16 aspect ratios is planned for a future update.
Added a dead zone setting for direct input controllers (joystick adjustment).
Modified the Replay menu to show local replays and replays downloaded from the leaderboards in different colors.

shockdude

The game now renders at 720p internally and scales bilinearly to the native resolution.
This means that upscaling with GeDoSaTo no longer works as it used to. Welp.

Just bought it for a friend who was on the fence. Any news about the next PC port? I read something about a PC shmup gathering in Japan where it would be unveiled.

Fake Edit: http://transition.tokyo/en - That's the one. So, new Cave shmup for PC announced in two days? Hooray!

Makai no Merry Christmas for the seasonal significance

That's just crazy enough to be right, y'know

deathsmiles_ii_flyer_dgpkw.jpg

Just bought it for a friend who was on the fence. Any news about the next PC port? I read something about a PC shmup gathering in Japan where it would be unveiled.

Fake Edit: http://transition.tokyo/en - That's the one. So, new Cave shmup for PC announced in two days? Hooray!

Got a thread for that over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152758

Personally I hope they maintain the putting out in order thing. Starting at Deathsmiles II would be odd. Futari would be cool but I still suspect the short time period since Mushi and the sameyness from glancing at screenshots could make it easily ignored.

"Wait, didn't that game just come out a few months back? Is this DLC?"

ah, it's probably Death Smiles based on that. fun game but it always makes me think of how hard Aksys went in on the whole loli thing. :\

Narroo

So...instructions? Manual? Please?

I think I understand how the basic game works, but I'd like some official instructions somewhere. Also, isn't there some quick story synopsis somewhere?

Anything else I should know? Are there any scanline filters out there that don't wreck performance?

SOME-MIST

Narroo

Oh, one more thing: was super shot ever added back in? And does "super shot" affect counter-banking/skyrocketing?

SOME-MIST

yes. the port is pretty spot on too. it just sucks that they used the 360 arrange mode instead of the ps2 arrange mode since I honestly preferred the ps2 variant.

I'm trying to decide which version to play. Just going with Original mode in any version doesn't feel right to me. So far I think version 1.5 maniac feels the best. I only got to the boss in stage 2 but that's a lot better than a few days ago, haha! I have to let go the scoring for now and just train for survival. There's no point in trying to score when you can't even make it through half of the game :D

So what's widely regarded as the best way you can play Mushihimesama?

Oh another question: to unlock achievements you have to "play" and not do "score attack", right? That one would be the mode where you appear on the leaderboards if you are good, I guess.

I'm loving all 3 Cave games so far. Dodonpachi is a little too hard for me because the helpful slowdown is so minimal (or just isn't there???) compared to Mushihimesama – I only got to the boss of stage 3 in the normal game. It's so well made, though. :) Deathsmiles is just fun!

Here is a cheap little guide to the modes I made. I'd recommend starting with Normal - Original. Maybe bump up to Maniac if you want a little more spice in your shmup. Arrange or 1.5 are good from there. I would avoid going the other way around since Normal will feel a little flat if you start with 1.5. (Assuming you have interest in Normal that is, of course)

hkfhhLe.png

▼ This is truth. My history with this asshole is on record.

I think I've said it before, but I find Original harder than Maniac because of how much faster the bullets are. I can deal with Maniac's dense patterns of slower moving bullets better than I can deal with the sniper-quick bullets you end up with on Original.

I'm garbage at both modes though.

Which part of the character model is actual hitbox ?

There will normally be an indicator near the center that tells you the hitbox. In Mushi's case it is the spinning orb looking thing when you are using the focus attack. The bullets themselves will often have small hitboxes too. Notice how close, and even the overlap, that happens here.

xhinMuZ.gif

Top Bottom