• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Normal Original requires a pretty deep understanding of where enemies spawn and what patterns they are about to shoot. The bullets travel so fast that relying on reactions is a death sentence. I haven't played Novice Maniac yet but I imagine it should be more manageable.

Eh, I didn't think just reacting to bullets was that difficult in Original. A decent amount of shmup prowess should see you through... well, aside from Stage 4, which is pretty gnarly at times.

Tain

I love shmups and was on the verge of buying this until I heard about the performance issues.

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F04%2F01%2F0df8f22c_jay-z-rap-disgusted-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-1584_large.gif
keep the thread subbed tho!

Durante

I love shmups and was on the verge of buying this until I heard about the performance issues.
There are no performance issues as such. The game literally uses less than 5% of my CPU and GPU running at 60 FPS.

There are framepacing issues on some systems, which can currently be fixed using external tools and will hopefully be patched soon. (The more annoying issue are the sporadic startup crashes that some people, including me, experience)

The game is easily worth the effort of working around these things though IMHO.

Cmagus

I just about had my 1cc maniac achievement I literally missed it by a sliver. I did the whole last stage and boss pretty much with no lives or bombs and if I had 1 bomb or like another 3-4 seconds of shooting i would of had it lol.

MrDoctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YawYRcWPQ

Uploaded my (almost) Original 1cc from last night. Didn't get the bomb out fast enough!

Eh, I didn't think just reacting to bullets was that difficult in Original. A decent amount of shmup prowess should see you through... well, aside from Stage 4, which is pretty gnarly at times.
Stage 4 feels like a comfy walk in the park(uh, forest?) after stage 3, which is just pure hell all the way through. Then stage 5 kicks it back into high gear and never lets off the pedal.

sheaaaa

I keep checking this topic in the hopes of news about the patch. Will buy once that hits, or just before the launch discount ends, whichever is earlier!

Knurek

Durante, I've been thinking - wouldn't this game benefit from implementing one of those CRT filters from Retroarch into GeDoSaTo?

Something like CRT-Easymode, which looks great and is lightweight enough to downclock my GTX970 to 135 MHz when used.

Vans

What a nightmare, I just can't get this game to go past the press start screen at all. I have tried every single thing I can possibly think of.

- Tried appearing offline.
- Appearing offline + no steam overlay
- Appearing offline + no steam overlay + no cloud saves.
- Offline mode
- Offline mode + no cloud saves
- Relaunching the game as fast as possible after it crashes.
- Offline mode + relaunching the game as fast as possible after it crashes.
- All of the above while setting the game to fullscreen.
- All of the above while attempting to use a controller / enter key / Z key.
- Alt-tabbing in-and-out
- Leaving it at the screen for 5 minutes.

I want to cry.

Tain

Finally 1cc'd arcade Original. I remember not agreeing with people calling this easier than Futari's Original, but now that I've done it I'm not too sure.

Got through Normal and Maniac difficulty in Novice mode without too much trouble, so that just leaves Ultra mode left. I managed to get to the halfway point of stage 4 in Arranged mode, but after that I'm clueless and start freaking out.

So far stage 3 is my favorite level of the game.

shockdude

Mushihimesama is so good that it's under Steam's Popular New Releases twice.
I've spent too much time mucking with GeDoSaTo and not enough time playing the game, lol. Gotta try some of the other modes; Maniac sounds like a lot of fun.

Momentary

Banned
It's so good to see a shoot'em up resurgence. It's the first computer/video game genre, the first computer game, and has been around for 53 years. I was afraid that was going the way of the dodo a few years ago. What a fantastic feeling to see it thriving again.

japtor

Durante, I've been thinking - wouldn't this game benefit from implementing one of those CRT filters from Retroarch into GeDoSaTo?

Something like CRT-Easymode, which looks great and is lightweight enough to downclock my GTX970 to 135 MHz when used.
Well if you want authenticity you gotta remember to downscale the game to 240x320 before scaling that back up to your screen, and scale and rotate the filter accordingly (90° counterclockwise).

danmaku

They just want you to feel good by completing 98% of the achievements easily then when you realize that you need to 1cc arrange mode they laugh and feast on your tears.

Meh, they chickened out by not including an achievement for Ultra 1CC. Seriously, Cave?

edit: wait, there's an "Ultra Mania" achievement with no explanation... maybe it's the 1CC.

Well if you want authenticity you gotta remember to downscale the game to 240x320 before scaling that back up to your screen, and scale and rotate the filter accordingly (90° counterclockwise).

Actually the filter would stay aligned when you put the game into TATE-mode since as far as everything on your PC is concerned the game is still in landscape orientation.

Roshin

I managed to play this once yesterday, but it's been nothing but startup crashes since. Kinda rubbish, but I hope they can fix it.

AC!D

I am in love with Mushi all over again. Had some great runs this morning, cleared Normal Original 3 times.

1st - stupid deaths on stage 2, but no missed last boss. 19m points, 16th on leaderboards.

2nd - average run, ended up with 20m.

3rd - no death run until stage 4 then lost the plot. Finished with no lives and no bombs in stock. :/

If id put the first run and third run together....sigh

Best tip for newbies I think is tht when you get to stage 3 onwards, realise that half the purple shit on the screen is designed to go around you. Once that clicks it gets a lot easier.

Durante

There is already a CRT filter in GeDoSaTo actually, a port of Timothy Lotte's great CRT shader. I haven't tried making it work for Mushihimesama yet.

I'm in the same boat.

EDIT: Just started up randomly...but then crashed later.
That's too bad, it never crashed for me after getting over the start screen :/

ryz

What a nightmare, I just can't get this game to go past the press start screen at all. I have tried every single thing I can possibly think of.

- Tried appearing offline.
- Appearing offline + no steam overlay
- Appearing offline + no steam overlay + no cloud saves.
- Offline mode
- Offline mode + no cloud saves
- Relaunching the game as fast as possible after it crashes.
- Offline mode + relaunching the game as fast as possible after it crashes.
- All of the above while setting the game to fullscreen.
- All of the above while attempting to use a controller / enter key / Z key.
- Alt-tabbing in-and-out
- Leaving it at the screen for 5 minutes.

I want to cry.

Same for me. I feel you brother. I got past the start screen TWO TIMES out of +100.

Btw, some dude in the Steam discussion forums claims it has to do with having too many steam friends. Can't test it myself because I'm not deleting ~200 steam friends just for a shmup, even if it's mushihimesama.
Here's the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/377860/discussions/0/496880503067369010/

Here's the relevant parts by this guy called re:Curse:

Pretty sure, I have done very thorough investigation. So far, the profiles of people having this problem also have many friends.

This is not just a random theory, I am 99.7% certain having too many friends is the issue. I am still looking for less harmful workarounds at the moment.

FYI, I am not able to avoid the crash by setting myself offline. So that workaround is not reliable.

Due to the nature of the crash (memory corruption), randomness is bound to occur. I have simply found what caused the corruption, which is too many friends being written to a fixed size array.

For information, I have been able to play successfully with a complicated hack forcing the number of friends to 0 on startup. Works 100% but it's rather hardcore to do, unfortunately I can't think of an easier workaround. If a developer wants to contact me I can give more technical information to help fix this.

That being said, there are probably other crashes not caused by what I've found, but at least that's one down.

I have been able to boil it down to: start the game, write 7 bytes at 2 different memory locations, and then press Start. How I got there is a whole other story.

The more friends you have past a certain threshold, the more memory it corrupts. I do not know the exact threshold when it becomes safe. Maybe I will post detailed code/instructions later as an advanced workaround (which is 100% reliable) if it takes too long for a patch to come out.

peakish

Phew, got through on novice with just one continue. Finding a line in the bullet sprays feels awesome. Got some huge problems with the snakes on stage 4, but I think I could solve it by using some bombs ... keep forgetting about those.

magnetic

Really happy to see this game being so popular. It would have been such a shame to have Cave games rot away in obscurity as region locked ports, PCBs or ROMs.

While I'm certain that, say, Deathsmiles, Ketsui or Espgaluda will be next, I'm really looking forward to getting Muchi Muchi Pork and Ibara eventually. Those have terrific bosses and I love the Raizing - style mechanics.

While pinball has somewhat replaced shumps as my favorite go-to arcade style, it's warming my heart to see the genre get yet another lease on life.

And while I know many people hate mainstream YouTubers, I can't help but wonder what would happen if a Pewdiepie-style channel starts streaming INSANELY BRUTAL JAPANESE GAME!!!

mdsfx

...Got some huge problems with the snakes on stage 4...

F*CK those snakes. I don't know how people get through that on Normal or harder. If you are unable to destroy one you get some nasty horizontal bullets coming your way.

F*CK those snakes. I don't know how people get through that on Normal or harder. If you are unable to destroy one you get some nasty horizontal bullets coming your way.

Always keep a tail alive so you can blow it up and clear the air when things get hot.

Better yet. Play stage 4 on 1.5 MAX. Every time you blow up a section, a nice string of revenge bullets is directed at you. You'll get comfortable with how Original handles things real quick.

EDIT: I've crashed into the wings a few times, which is just embarrassing.

jonjonaug

Meh, they chickened out by not including an achievement for Ultra 1CC. Seriously, Cave?

edit: wait, there's an "Ultra Mania" achievement with no explanation... maybe it's the 1CC.
I got that one on Ultra Novice, it's playing through stage 3 with no continues.

epmode

MAN, GeDoSaTo really cleaned this game up. Running at native 1440p + 60 FPS is lovely. I hope the developer can build arbitrary resolution support directly into the game but at least we have the option now.

I'm also interested in those more advanced scaling settings but I'll worry about that later.

edit: And now the game crashes as soon as I try to go beyond the title screen. Sigh.
edit edit: And now it doesn't. This game isn't very stable, is it.

Durante

In my experience so far the game is completely stable once you get past the start screen. On the other hand, the start screen crash is completely random. Which lends credence to the friend list buffer overflow theory posted above, I'm currently investigating that.

ghibli99

Yeah, no issues for me once I'm past the title screen. [edited out] I usually give it several seconds on the title screen before I press A though.

Durante

goodnews_zpsqelj8ux7fworg.jpg

Intercepting the Steam friends API and pretending you have 0 friends completely fixes the starting crash.

New GeDoSaTo version with foreverAlone option shortly.

ElNarez

Banned
So I was kinda bummed about the no 16:10 thing, but, whatever. Is anyone else experiencing some serious input lag? Like, the ship will move for a bit after I stop moving the stick. In this, it's fairly annoying.

vall03

Man, I guess I'm one of the very few that has little to no issues in terms of stability and performance with the game. No crashes, no hangs, and no display issues as well. I'm just using a decent laptop and its running great on me. If anything, my only issue with the game so far is the shit configuration on xinput devices. Start is fucking mapped to R2/RT and all other configurations are messed up wtf! I ended up ditching my DS4 and went back to DS3 using BetterDS3 to emulate a 360 controller. I really prefer the DS4 but the DS3 isn't that bad anyway.

Nzyme32

I ended up calling it "steamFriendsLimit" which is pretty boring, but on the other hand I'll still remember what it does a year from now ;)

It's online now!

You god damn fucking hero.

Durante does what Devs don't

Well it's a great temp fix till the devs do something. I don't think I've seen anything like this before, so I wonder what the usefulness of such a workaround could be in future.

epmode

Works perfectly. Durante saving the day again.

Well it's a great temp fix till the devs do something. I don't think I've seen anything like this before, so I wonder what the usefulness of such a workaround could be in future.

I've heard that the Resident Evil remake still has a bug when friends lists get too large. I never ran into it. Forever alone.

But yeah, I hope that the devs see that high resolution upscaling works with this game and they start including it in their future ports.

Durante the man!

So that user title is getting bigger and bigger, haha. Somewhere in there a "bug" comment will show up.

Got the game on release and been enjoying it so far but I also suffered the start screen crash. It seems that the ALT+Enter to go full screen when CAVE logo appears fixed it every time.

ChryZ

So, yeah ... GeDoSaTo single-handedly saved Mushihimesama for me

Code:
forcePresentRes true
fpsLimit 60

This wasn't doing it for me, my display is 16:10 (1920x1200@60Hz), forcePresentRes stretched the internal 16:9 to 16:10 fullscreen and messed up the aspect ratio, fraps reported 59 and I definitely noticed the missing frame. After some trial and error I ended up with this:

Code:
config\default\GeDoSaTo.ini
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 2560x1920@60
presentWidth 1920   
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60
presentInterval 1
scalingType lanczos
maintainAspectRatio true
forcePresentRes true
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
Buttery smooth 60fps, correct aspect ratio in 1200p fullscreen with black bars and face-stabbing sharp sprites.

EDIT: better configs down-thread

Nzyme32

I ended up calling it "steamFriendsLimit" which is pretty boring, but on the other hand I'll still remember what it does a year from now ;)

It's online now!

Not sure if you know about this, but if you click cancel when deciding on the path for GeDeSaTo, the installer crashes. Not that that is an important thing. The only reason I hit cancel was to work out why Gedesato updater said it looked like I was making a new install, despite a version already being there

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: GeDoSaToUpdater.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 53eba90d
Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34251
Problem Signature 06: 54daee67
Problem Signature 07: 79b
Problem Signature 08: 23
Problem Signature 09: System.ObjectDisposedException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

peakish

I seem to be losing my scores whenever I restart the game. Common issue? Doesn't really matter I guess, but it's weird.

Durante

Is 1985 the mushi fix? It keeps trying to update to that build but ends up with 1983 release once it's done.
83 was fine, but I had a version mismatch between the binary I pushed and the source, so the tool thought it should update when there was nothing to update. It should be fixed now.

Top Bottom