• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushroom Men = more and more intriguing

Hatchman

That's the level i played at Leipzig. There's a second section to that shed as well and two ways to get into it - one high and one low. Really, really impressed by Mushroom Men.

scitek

Is there any sort of targeting/lock-on system in the game? When the rabbit went off the screen, it looked like it might be a chore to get the camera in a decent place so you could attack it again. Is the camera of any concern?

M74

Am I missing something? Respawn after death in a safe area, no level restart? What's the penalty for dying?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I admit, I thought the trailer was fantastic. Unless we're over run with a sudden rush of Nintendo inhouse A+++ titles (no), I'm picking this title up in November.

Hatchman

M74 said:
Am I missing something? Respawn after death in a safe area, no level restart? What's the penalty for dying?

I'm told there're rewards for not dying ;)

Is there any sort of targeting/lock-on system in the game? When the rabbit went off the screen, it looked like it might be a chore to get the camera in a decent place so you could attack it again. Is the camera of any concern?

By pressing the - button you can reset the camera behind Pax. Also there is full control over camera with the d-pad which is suprising easy to use.

Gwanatu T

M74 said:

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Bioshock-esque respawning, but if I can save prior to areas or battles and just revert to the save in order to keep my "not dying" rewards. It's always nice to offer both I suppose, widens the potential player base.

Overall the game looks great. It reminds me a lot of Toy Commander (probably just because you are so small), and the exploration part of the game really looks phenomenal. It's wonderful to see such a great third party effort on the Wii, especially with Nintendo essentially taking a break for the rest of the year.

EvilMario said:
I admit, I thought the trailer was fantastic. Unless we're over run with a sudden rush of Nintendo inhouse A+++ titles (no), I'm picking this title up in November.
Well Animal Crossing is out in November, but there should still be room for Mushrooms!

Spike

Damn, after seeing these vids, MM just shot up to the top of my must buy list for the year. Good Job, Red Fly!

I'm really looking forward to seeing their Ghostbusters game on the Wii now.

Redd

That's one messed up looking rabbit. Was kind of hoping you could see what happened to it after the fan.

CTLance

Dear Mr. Chad Barron,
while I realize you're a producer and not a PR guy, and while I really enjoyed the G4TV preview, please be advised that taking both of your hands out of your pockets may be a good thing to do whenever you're on stage or in front of a camera, no matter how uncomfortable you feel, and no matter how dumb the questions are. Body language is an important part of any presentation, after all.
Thank you for your time, and the game. I am very much looking forward to purchasing it.

( Oh god, I feel like such a pea counter for even noticing that. )

edge magazine isnt feeling your optimism:

With a combat system that amounts to Remote waggling, and most other abilities limited to context, the game will have to hope its world is sufficiently crammed with delights and its platforming challenge persistently engaging to coax players away from Galaxy-sized diversions and down to the garden shed.

Hatchman

Barkley's Justice said:
edge magazine isnt feeling your optimism:

Oh yeah, same preview where they compared the platform exploration in Mushroom Men as provoking the same feeling as they got from the awesomeness of Crackdown.

MoogPaul

I will buy this game solely on the fact that Les Claypool is doing the music. I've seen him countless times in Primus, Frog Brigade, Bucket of Bernie Brains, Fancy Band, and, most importantly, Oysterhead. My dog is named Claypool (and of course his full name includes the rank of Colonel). Everything after the music is all bonus.

schlew

The-Switcher said:
Too bad Gamecock is publishing, dooming this potentially great game with dismal sales due to no advertising.

Actually, my latest EGM came wrapped in a Mushroom Men advertisement "cover". It even asked if the title could save hardcore gaming on the Wii.

And I've seen some ads in Nintendo Power. Looks like this means much more to them then Hail to the Chimp ever did.

Wow, this game actually looks extremely promising. I'll have to keep it on my radar, but let's just hope i'm not broke this summer so i can actually support this developer...

Too bad more people aren't coming in here, i think they'd be pretty suprised on how promising this game looks.

Hatchman

xlildragonxod said:
Wow, this game actually looks extremely promising. I'll have to keep it on my radar, but let's just hope i'm not broke this summer so i can actually support this developer...

Too bad more people aren't coming in here, i think they'd be pretty suprised on how promising this game looks.

It's always the same though isnt it? People moan about lack of new gaming IP, or publishers giving developers the chance to make the game they want, then when one comes along no-one bats an eye lid and instead dive head first into the discussions about Halo3:Recon, CoD5, Gears2, Fable2, Yakuza3 etc

Naturally, Red Fly are a new development studio with no history, but their team consist of extremely talented and experienced individuals who when put together and allowed to make the game they want, means that we as the gaming community should take note. Esepcially when the Wii-core are demanding more games aimed at them!

KevinCow

Banned
Oh shits. This comes out next week?!

Need money... I promised myself I wouldn't sell stuff this gen, but I'm so broke. Selling stuff let me afford to play so many different games last gen, but then I'd sit back and realize that I didn't have a collection and couldn't go back and replay games.

Nocebo

KevinCow said:
Oh shits. This comes out next week?!

Need money... I promised myself I wouldn't sell stuff this gen, but I'm so broke. Selling stuff let me afford to play so many different games last gen, but then I'd sit back and realize that I didn't have a collection and couldn't go back and replay games.
Wait what? Next week? Regions? :O

CTLance

Hatchman said:
Another dev diary has gone up:

http://www.videogamer.com/wii/mushroom_men/preview-1323.html

This one is by interactions design lead James Clarendon, who discusses the Wii game's core gameplay mechanics.
Sounds great.

I'll be there day one, and I haven't played the game so I can't really say if my scenario will even be applicable, but rewarding already skilled players with items that probably make life easier for them while not giving said items to someone who already struggles with the game could be a bit of a problem if it's handled incorrectly. The skilled player who is probably already feeling unchallenged gets bored because his plentiful supply of items makes the game easier for him, while the poor guy who died 5 times to the last boss might feel put off at the challenge of going into the next boss fight with less than optimal weaponry/consumables. I have faith in the team though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
These new screenshots are GORGEOUS!
mushroom-men-the-spore-wars-20081016112129669.jpg

mushroom-men-the-spore-wars-20081016112131513.jpg

mushroom-men-the-spore-wars-20081016112122888.jpg

Others here: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/884/884634/imgs_1.html

KevinCow

Banned
Oh, the DS version came out on the 14th, not the Wii version. Or at least according to Wikipedia.

What's going on in that last screenshot? Doesn't look like the main guy in the other screens. Kinda looks like a typical bald space marine with a mushroom hat.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Baiano19 said:
yeah... its a shame that when we see a smooth screenshot of a Wii game we know for sure its a bullshot... :(
:lol It's very true. Still, the latest videos do look nice. After de Blob, I'm looking for another Wii surprise, you know? :p

pakkit

Banned
Baiano19 said:
yeah... its a shame that when we see a smooth screenshot of a Wii game we know for sure its a bullshot... :(
Mario Galaxy does not approve this message.

But as a general rule, yes. It's really lame that publishers do this.

Soule

Damn those screenshots are great, obviously bullshots but I love the art direction and if it can retain half of that IQ i'd be quite happy :) been pillaging the hi-res art n walls thread and the high resolution art of this game is fantastic :D

Top Bottom