• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushroom Men = more and more intriguing

Arde5643

Game's looking really good - and it seems that combat might actually be harder than I initially thought.

Hopefully there's a way to lock on to enemies.

BDGAME

New screens from http://www.wiiz.fr:

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

GOTY?

schlew

I love the style. I don't know why, but I really like the little lines on the underside of the protagonists head. Just a nice touch that I'm sure others would have missed.

The weapon system looks to be especially fun, and very clever. The corn cob holder and the little figurine perched atop a stick are the two I'm especially jazzed to create myself.

Looking pretty good, I'll definitely be picking it up.

Scrubking

Game looks great.

I just hope it delivers in the gameplay department as some previews were saying the game was short and shallow.

batbeg

Miyamoto Musushi :lol

This game seems like it may hit it big with a niche audience, hopefully I'll be a part of that audience.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Game looks great even if my bullshot detector is tingling. It's just the resolution of the shots that's scratching me the wrong way.

If I read that it plays good, I'll buy.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I played this a little while ago at a Nintendo World Store event. It takes a bit of getting used to, since there's no lock-on and the camera control is a bit clumsy, but it's actually a lot of fun. It looks fantastic for a Wii game - something vaguely on the level of Psychonauts, at least visually - and it even plays a little bit better. Maybe an actiony version of Chibi Robo is a better comparison, since you're running around in large scaled environments. It might end up being a bit on the short side (developers said about ten hours in length) but I think that's perfect for an action platformer.

There are also TONS of different weapons and powers to use. There's easily over two dozen primary weapons, in additional to psychic powers and whatnot. If you hit an enemy to the point where they're bleeding, you can point at them with the remote and cause them to spin out and explode, damaging every bad guy in the area.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
discoalucard said:
I played this a little while ago at a Nintendo World Store event. It takes a bit of getting used to, since there's no lock-on and the camera control is a bit clumsy, but it's actually a lot of fun. It looks fantastic for a Wii game - something vaguely on the level of Psychonauts, at least visually - and it even plays a little bit better. Maybe an actiony version of Chibi Robo is a better comparison, since you're running around in large scaled environments. It might end up being a bit on the short side (developers said about ten hours in length) but I think that's perfect for an action platformer.

There are also TONS of different weapons and powers to use. There's easily over two dozen primary weapons, in additional to psychic powers and whatnot. If you hit an enemy to the point where they're bleeding, you can point at them with the remote and cause them to spin out and explode, damaging every bad guy in the area.

Thanks for the impressions, I've been looking forward to this game for a while. Even with the packed holiday lineup, I might have to find a way to pick this up.

BDGAME

discoalucard said:

Nice impressions! Now We need the new videos from this event.

Hatchman

Looks like Red Fly really brought this game together at the end of their development.

Perhaps an Official Thread is needed? or turn this one into one?

Hatchman

Dash Kappei said:
dunno what to make of the no lock-on thingie...

You have to use some skill to win? ;-)

It's fine. Remember, this is not strictly a combat game, more a platformer with combat added. Did SMG have lock-on?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hatchman said:
You have to use some skill to win? ;-)

It's fine. Remember, this is not strictly a combat game, more a platformer with combat added. Did SMG have lock-on?

Well, watching the developers' walkthrough videos it seems, to me at least, there's definitely an enphasis on combat, waaaaaay beyond that of something like Mario Galaxy.
It could be frustrating, I didn't like the video bit with the libellula flying above the player if you know what I mean.
And there's many ways to make a challenging game even with a lock-on based combat mechanic.

Dyne

I recommend this game. I watched my girlfriend play it for half an hour at PAX, and I dare say that this might be the best Wii game this fall.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
comedy bomb said:
Nintendo Power gave the Wii version an 8.0 and the DS version a 5.0
Isn't it the opposite?

Edit: nevermind, got it mixed with the Monster Lab scores.

Dyne

xS1TH L0RDx said:
this game has always looked like ass. always. the hype for this game screams "wii owners grasping at straws".

Of course it looks like ass, it's a Wii game. The fact that it's fun to play is a major push in the right direction.

Weisheit

This got a "C" in the latest EGM.

Great art and soundtrack. Game design feels archaic however. Compares it to PS1 platformers...straight forward jumping and switch puzzles. Combat is mindless and sloppy.

Hatchman

Reviews so far:

US: Play 9/10
UK: Official Nintendo 86%
US: Nintendo Power 8/10
US: Electronic Gaming Magazine “C”
US: Game Informer 5.75/10

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Amazon hasn't shipped my order yet. After a quick check of other retailers it looks like most aren't expecting their copies until December 4th.

plank

Hatchman said:
Reviews so far:

US: Play 9/10
UK: Official Nintendo 86%
US: Nintendo Power 8/10
US: Electronic Gaming Magazine “C”
US: Game Informer 5.75/10

time to bail out.

I don't trust reviews from Game Informer or EGM, especially when it comes to a 3rd party Wii game. They both just pretty much go, its not HD and I don'tlike waggle waaaaahhhhh it gets a C.

CTLance

Dash Kappei said:
Soooo... where are all the folks that were "definitely buying this"?
Impressions?
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive ... and ship ... and being released. :(
cl3xh.png

So yeah, I have one hell of a hangover and thus a shaky hand. Don't mind the worm.

Top Bottom