• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushroom Men = more and more intriguing

Fredescu said:
Can anyone confirm sightings of the Wii version anywhere? How about outside the US?
I think I saw it at Wal-Mart in Kansas.

I ended up buying RE4Wii edition instead.

I'll be getting this, but it doesn't appear like now.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Amazon.com said:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your order of Mushroom Men. Now it's time to get your bonus MP3 soundtrack from the game.
4 Les Claypool tracks, 10 by GL33k. The music in this game is just fantastic.

Might be a bit of a spoiler but the very last track is
an old school Amiga-style chiptune
and it is quite awesome.

pvpness

This game is awesome. Looks really nice, controls are responsive, and the art style is excellent and creepy at times. Weapon creation is pretty clever and of course the music is win. If you like action/adventure I highly suggest Spore Wars.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really, so sorry to skip this altogether because of the no 16:9 support.

You'd think good developers were smarter than this, in the end you're really hurting your sales potential with the very same kind of demographic which finds this game appealing.

VAIL

Quick impressions:

If reviewers are complaining about it playing like an old game, then shame on them, it's old in the way Rayman 2 is old, still solid and fun to play.

Texture work is top notch and the ambient noise/music works so well.

It looks fine on my widescreen (tho it is a crt) and I am enjoying it very much so far.

Okay, everyone that's played: convince me to buy the game! All I've bought for the Wii since De Blob, was Symphonia 2, and I really want to enjoy another good Wii game.

VAIL

One thing I forgot to mention, the parody of product so far is great....

Tab soda is Flab soda, Hello Kitty is a fat slob called Jello kitty...and so on.

Haunted

VAIL said:
Quick impressions:

If reviewers are complaining about it playing like an old game, then shame on them, it's old in the way Rayman 2 is old, still solid and fun to play.

Texture work is top notch and the ambient noise/music works so well.

It looks fine on my widescreen (tho it is a crt) and I am enjoying it very much so far.
*straightens up* Did someone say Rayman 2?

Wait, if this is out already where's the official thread?

Baryn

Banned
Was going to mention that this game doesn't rub me the right way, then I saw that it already came out and realized some people must have agreed. :/

Heres some tv pics:

night%20sky%202.JPG

freezer%20burn.JPG

in%20the%20house.JPG

night.JPG

corn%20syrup.JPG

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought the game didn't have 16:9 support, yet there you are playing it on a widescreen and it looks fine.

What's the deal?

MarkusRJR

EatChildren said:
I thought the game didn't have 16:9 support, yet there you are playing it on a widescreen and it looks fine.

What's the deal?
If it does have 16:9 I'm going to be so pissed. I was going to the store and ended up getting Chrono Trigger and Prince of Persia: The Fallen King (WTF @ there being no reviews for this game) for the DS instead of Mushroom Men (because it was 4:3 only).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, slasher_thrasher21's shots are clearly in widescreen and nothing look stretched. Pax and the environment all have the right proportions.

Anyone want to give some confirmation by setting their Wii to 4:3 and comparing the viewing area to 16:9? No?

Alrighty then.

MiniDitka

EatChildren said:
Yeah, slasher_thrasher21's shots are clearly in widescreen and nothing look stretched. Pax and the environment all have the right proportions.

Anyone want to give some confirmation by setting their Wii to 4:3 and comparing the viewing area to 16:9? No?

Alrighty then.

I'll try it right now, just give me a second to set it up.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
uh the game looks pretty ridiculously good in your shots. why so? looks better than the officially released ones

MiniDitka

EatChildren said:

Alrighty then.

Just did it and definitely noticed a difference.

EatChildren

MiniDitka said:
Just did it and definitely noticed a difference.

You’re awesome, thanks.

16:9 it is. Can’t want for my copy to arrive. Had it pre-ordered from the states for about a week before it was released. Now I have to wait until it makes its painful journey to Australia :(.

John Harker said:
uh the game looks pretty ridiculously good in your shots. why so? looks better than the officially released ones

Possibly because the official shots were blown up to stupid sizes. Keep in mind though these are off-cam shots from a television. The small size and lack of clarity are good for hiding jaggies, low texture resolutions, and so on.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait so it has 16:9? :O

Why the hell do I listen to the interwebs anymore -_-

So interwebs, you do confim 16:9, right?

EatChildren said:
Possibly because the official shots were blown up to stupid sizes. Keep in mind though these are off-cam shots from a television. The small size and lack of clarity are good for hiding jaggies, low texture resolutions, and so on.

I will say though that the game looks great. There are some surprisingly sharp textures and the official pics really dont do the game justice.

Just started battling the shittake mushrooms. They call me grasshopper! :lol

Fredescu

EatChildren said:
Now I have to wait until it makes its painful journey to Australia :(
Not as painful as the wait for the actual Australian version to come out and be at retailers or even appear to have a distributor here :(

Those videos look awesome. I so want this game now.

Haunted

I like those shots.

Glad this has 16:9 support. This'll be my next purchase after finishing Monster Lab, I guess. I could do with another traditional platformer. :)

Haunted said:
That level looks pretty badass. I have a soft spot for small player in big environment situations a la Chibi-Robo or Toy Commander.

If you have a soft spot for that type of thing, then dude, your about to have a full on boner playing this. :lol This game does this and does it well.

CTLance

Hmmmmmmmaybe I should cancel my EU preorder and get the game from the states. Waiting for it to hit Europe while others are already playing it is... harsh.

Rented it, it is really good. Reminds me of psychonauts, not in story or humor but in the way the levels are. It has good wiimote uses, some cool levels, decent puzzles, average combat but at least you have a good assortment of weapons. Above all it just feels right, its a quality game on the wii.

The major issue is, according to how many collectables are left to find I dont have much longer to go. I think this game maybe only 5 hours long.

Haunted

slasher_thrasher21 said:
If you have a soft spot for that type of thing, then dude, your about to have a full on boner playing this. :lol This game does this and does it well.
That sounds reassuring.
MiamiWesker said:
Rented it, it is really good. Reminds me of psychonauts, not in story or humor but in the way the levels are. It has good wiimote uses, some cool levels, decent puzzles, average combat but at least you have a good assortment of weapons. Above all it just feels right, its a quality game on the wii.
That sounds reassuring!

MiamiWesker said:
The major issue is, according to how many collectables are left to find I dont have much longer to go. I think this game maybe only 5 hours long.
That doesn't. :/

If it's really that short, I'll definitely give it a rental.

Haunted said:
If it's really that short, I'll definitely give it a rental.

Agreed. It seems like it could be a 6-8 hour game. Though I must say its so unique I see myself playing it again. Also its a quality game and deserves to sell well unlike the massive tons of shit shovelware pushed out on the wii.

Also I must mention. I came to this game just having completed Prince of Persia on 360. Normally when I play games on 360 or Ps3 and jump to Wii, its a huge turn off for me concerning visuals. Mushroom men holds up really damn well with crisp graphics and awesome use of colors.

bryehn

Just started it up, the movies are all blurry and interlaced. One of those rare instances that the game looks better than the movies.

Holy crap, Les Claypool OST! I had no idea.

So far this game is sweet. I was a huge Chibi-Robo fan and love the small character in a big world feel.

Top Bottom