• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG: Is it time for the Nintendo Switch to get an upgrade?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I think the Switch Lite was more of a response to the discovery that a substantial proportion of the user base never used docked mode at all than anything else.

I don't blame them.

Nobody wants to be reminded of the fact on a 65in TV that they've purchased an underpowered POS console for anything other than mobile play.

recma12

I think the Switch Lite was more of a response to the discovery that a substantial proportion of the user base never used docked mode at all than anything else.

Yeah, commuters for example and people that only use the Switch on trains/planes.

Nintendo also had kids in mind. The LITE looks more like a toy and is an easier sell to parents.
You basically trade away the option to play on your TV for saving some money....
Parents love the lower price point and the fact that the kid won't hog the TV.

I think sooner or later they will add the TV output to the LITE and call it LITE+ or whatever.

carlosrox

Banned
Much like Xbox having an optional Elite controller, I wish Nintendo had an optional "Switch Pro".

I don't think it makes sense to replace the current unit but I'd like something we could buy.... optionally speaking.

As a gaming/Nintendo enthusiast I'd be all over that.

disap.ed

How powerful can a Switch Pro or Switch 2 be can it be PS4 Pro level cause i would think it need to be at least to be able to run next gen Games be it at low settings and get the Devs to port the games over also need a SSD inside that handheld or it will be bottleneck.
Yes, definitely could reach PS4 levels of performance, CPU wise especially. At least if it wasn't just an overclocked Switch. The only remaining field where I really have concerns would be RAM bandwidth then.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Yes, definitely could reach PS4 levels of performance, CPU wise especially. At least if it wasn't just an overclocked Switch. The only remaining field where I really have concerns would be RAM bandwidth then.

Maybe can even surpass PS4

Trimesh

Banned
Yeah, commuters for example and people that only use the Switch on trains/planes.

Nintendo also had kids in mind. The LITE looks more like a toy and is an easier sell to parents.
You basically trade away the option to play on your TV for saving some money....
Parents love the lower price point and the fact that the kid won't hog the TV.

I think sooner or later they will add the TV output to the LITE and call it LITE+ or whatever.

I sort of doubt that - they already have the original SKU you can connect to a TV. On top of that, restricting the Switch Lite to portable mode means they can reduce the capacity and size of both the power distribution and the cooling since it never needs to run at the higher clocks that docked mode does. One thing they could do, and which would operate in a completely transparent manner with all the existing Switch software, is release a bigger screen bigger battery model that effectively runs in docked mode even when being used as a portable. I fear the battery life might be pretty disappointing though, especially since there is a pretty hard limit of 100Wh (about twice the capacity of the existing battery) because if it's any larger than that you can't take in on aircraft.

jigglet

Banned
It probably be highly custom Nvidia chip made specifically for Nintendo.
I expect Switch 2 somewhere around 2024 for 400$ price.

A $400 price tag. This is seriously delusional thinking. What have they done in the last 15 years that would make you think that's the price point / power target they would be aiming for?

Last edited:

Mypmarlo

Banned
A $400 price tag. This is seriously delusional thinking. What have they done in the last 15 years that would make you think that's the price point / power target they would be aiming for?
I explained my reasoning in the part of my post u excluded from quoting.

MP!

If and when that came to pass, I'd be interested to see if it could help. DigitalFoundry did a mock of how it might work out (using a Shield TV and also PC at 720p/low+DLSS), and it's a very rough and questionable estimate of how it'd work out (it also IMO doesn't show any true miracles being performed by DLSS to rescue the image quality,) but it's maybe worth a look to think about it.

vyV5zjc.jpg
Shield TV doesn't have DLSS what you'll want to look at are the wolfenstein and Control Videos they did showcasing DLSS... in thoose cases the DLSS had better image quality than native resolutions

The Shield TV comparison was misleading as it's not DLSS but actually just an enhanced sharpening filter.

Astral Dog

I rather they wait for the Switch 2 at this point and upgrade games from there, im fine with the og Switch for whats left of this gen

Top Bottom