• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My adventures at a crazy but not so crazy McDonald's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

Don't know whether I should put this in OT or Gaming but whatever.

So I was hankering for some chicken McNuggets and I decided to walk to a McDonald's a few blocks off campus. While it is a few blocks off campus it does take around 45-60 minutes just to get there if you walk. I enjoy walks and it wouldn't hurt to have a long walk before and after eating McDonald's but this means I'm usually alone. I don't really enjoy eating at a restaurant alone but it was really hot today so I decided to eat in for once.

So after getting my meal I walked to the eating area and was blown away at what I saw. A bunch of N64 stations!

pjzoFl.jpg

What the hell? This is the first time I've seen such a thing. They seemed to require a remote because one of the employees had one in is hand right as I started to hear the title music of Ocarina of Time.

As I heard that I turned around and surprisingly most of them were functional.

They had NASCAR 2000. Starfox 64
I kind of wish bought Starfox 64 3D just so I could hold up the two versions together
, Mario Party 3, and Mickey's Speedway USA. Banjo Tooie was also there but unplayable since someone managed to remove the controller. And Ocarina of Time was unplayable because the screen was destroyed. :(

The rest of the screens were nonfunctional and I noticed some burn-in on the NASCAR screen. So that was weird. I didn't really play with any of the games. Most of the controllers were predictably overused.

But wait there's more! Maybe I've just been unlucky but this is the first time I've ever seen a conveyor belt at a McDonald's. There was one in this McDonald's and it was right next to the N64's. It was hilarious to watch.
AYiCwl.jpg

The process basically started with the revolving of the belts. You knew something was coming since it was pretty loud.

A single bag would come hanging...
There it goes...
It would then go vertical.
But where did it lead to?

It's strange since it started from the kitchen; I could see an employee latching it onto the machine while I ordered. But looking at where it went, it seemed to go back to some kitchen. Maybe it was a portal to some alternate universe? Maybe what I saw through that hole was China? Since I walk to that McDonald's all the time I've never actually tried the drive-thru. Maybe this belt was made to deliver food in this new society that prefers anti-social interactions in the service industry. Or maybe it's an elaborate delivery system for the employee break room.

No one will ever know.

I miss the days that all fast food places had arcades or consoles in them.
I mean, it use to be like everywhere.
Guess it was too expensive to keep up, though.

Clydefrog

What?!?! That's the craziest McDonald's ever! and for some reason it's almost completely void of people in your photos! WHAT

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's quite eery to see no one in that McDonald's. Also they really need to spruce up their interior, makes me feel cold just looking at it.

thebeeks

Banned
A local McDonald's that opened in the late 90s had some similar N64 stations, only ours were alongside the wall near the playplace. There were also simple touchscreen coloring programs (touch a colored paint splat on the left side, touch the part of the drawing you want to paint on the right side, color fills in, etc) set up on the opposite wall.
I've never seen that conveyor belt thing, though.

Mordeccai

xxracerxx said:
This. I must see a map of this few blocks that take hours to walk.

It takes me 15 minutes to walk two blocks in my town, and its not nearly as busy as LA. Gotta account for traffic, walk signals, shit like that.

hsin

Banned
Yeah, they have a few of these (N64 stations) in Alberta. The particular McD's in the photos looks kind of ghost-townish.

jambo

A few Mickey Ds in Australia have the conveyor belts for the drive-throughs, it's pretty cool watching meals fly along the ceiling.

see5harp

One time I went into a McDonalds on the south side of Chicago with my white friend from Omaha. It was hella dirty and it was obvious that all of the employees were shocked to see some an asian kid with his white friend in that particular McDonalds. A group of younger African American gentlemen enter just as we are finishing our order and all I hear is "damn son I smell honky!" Needless to say, my friend felt uncomfortable and we decided to take our food to go.

akira28

...I got nothin. I wish we lived in a world where every McDonald's could have this.

re: conveyor belts, the McD's out in the country by my parent's, a few have these. If the kitchen station is a certain distance from the dual-drive thru setup they will ship the orders over in bag via belt. The drinks are managed at window. Some newer remodeled types have this. I....guess it's more efficient. No clue. I do love the free wi-fi though, at almost every McD's.

I've seen places that were nice go through recession times and suddenly someone's taken a damn pocket knife to it and no one ever bothers to replace it, and then the whole "why we can't have nice things" saying pops in. This would be an awesome use of old systems though. People would donate and maintain these for free even.

see5harp said:
One time I went into a McDonalds on the south side of Chicago with my white friend from Omaha. It was hella dirty and it was obvious that all of the employees were shocked to see some an asian kid with his white friend in that particular McDonalds. A group of younger African American gentlemen enter just as we are finishing our order and all I hear is "damn son I smell honky!" Needless to say, my friend felt uncomfortable and we decided to take our food to go.

That's nice and all, but was there a conveyor belt?!?

Poyunch

RoboPlato said:
That conveyor belt sounds really entertaining.
I really wish they didn't clip just one bag at a time. People need to order more food so that a continuous row of bags could fly by.

tim.mbp

Yelp review
Anyway, the McDonald's I'm highlighting today has a drive-through you need to check out. The restaurant is situated on a hill and only the front entrance is at street level. The other three sides of the McDonald's is about 30 feet lower than street level. This makes it hard for them to have a drive-through since a car driving around would be at basement level. So what this Mickey D's has done is put the drive-through window in the basement. After you make your order, the kitchen on the top floor, sends the food down to the basement via conveyor belt. Talk about cool! If you go inside the restaurant, you see this Plexiglas tube that leads into the ground. And every few minutes, you see a bag of food fly down the tube, through the ground, and into the basement, to what must be a waiting customer.

jambo said:
A few Mickey Ds in Australia have the conveyor belts for the drive-throughs, it's pretty cool watching meals fly along the ceiling.
For real? Why aren't they set up like the rest of them?

TDLink

I went into a McDonalds once and they had a singular gaming system thing like the one in your picture up top. It was a gamecube though and it was playing Metroid Prime. I have never seen video games in a McDonalds before or since. Really weird. I imagine the managers decide if they want them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom