• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Boss Just Accused Me of Lying. Should I quit immediately (already put in my two weeks)

Had this done to me 3 years ago.

Luckily I had evidence to the contrary and they apologised.

Sadly 6 months ago they forgot all that and accused me of other stuff.

If you can, record your stuff as it could help you out in the future.

The 2 weeks notice thing seems the best thing to do if you have another job lined up.

ExpandKong

Banned
First off, good for putting in two weeks and telling your new employer you needed to do that. I’ve heard of situations where the new place will ask you if you can start ASAP as a sort of test, and if you say “yeah fuck my current boss” then they’ll rescind your offer (or not make one, depending on what stage you’re at). It’s not super common, but I’ve heard of it happening more than once. Always keep it professional.

That said, I too think you’re overreacting a bit to the current situation. It’s a couple more days, just be the bigger person. Or go in and just half-ass everything. But don’t just skip out. It’ll just make things harder on your other coworkers.

Shantae

Banned
I also recently got very sick with a stomach flu, where I've been vomiting and shit, and man...I am so fed up with how jobs make you feel like shit for needing a sick day. I literally had no choice, because if I wasn't the actual sickness stopping me from work, it was the medication I got from the ER that made me dizzy as hell to the point that I couldn't stand up. My boss has recently complimented me recently on how I'm so nice and "such a blessing" because I've been helping pick up hours while we were short staffed. Now we're full staffed, I got sick, and my boss was being short with me. I just don't appreciate that crap at all.

Winter John

Gold Member
This is too easy. Just tell her you've always secretly admired her but you knew how important her career was to her. Tell her you've been dreaming of her for months and that's why your leaving. It's become too much seeing her every day knowing she'd never agree to a workplace romance. Tell her she's not like the others. Tell her when you see her you see a warm, vibrant, beautiful woman; that you would like to know. Probably get a blowjob in the stockroom out of it.

Everytime I have put in my two weeks notice, the company management usually turned into toddlers, using personal insults with me until usually canning me 2-4 days later. I've worked for a lot different companies at this point and not ONE has held up their end of the bargain when I've put in my two weeks notice.

Just one of many ways that the work force has not respected me or the hard work I've put into, though way down in the scale of shitty job behaviors. My last job before my current job did not let you have breaks or lunches, then proceeded (usually while drunk) to scream at me about how I still make too much money (I was making minimum wage). The job before that had no drinking water unless you like the taste of lead. They didnt even tell us and one lady almost DIED. This particular job could never tell me whether I'd be working for 3 hours or 15 on any given day. Kind of a big difference.

People wonder why the millenial work force is beat all to fuck and apathetic as shit, lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
She sounds annoyed, not accusing OP, way to exaggerate a situation.

Yeah, I'm imagining this was the case. As anyone who has worked retail knows, having someone miss a shift sucks, and she's probably already somewhat miffed that the OP is moving onto something better while she probably has no better prospects lined up and instead has to find someone to replace him. Working retail just breeds all kinds of stress and bad feelings.

Everytime I have put in my two weeks notice, the company management usually turned into toddlers, using personal insults with me until usually canning me 2-4 days later. I've worked for a lot different companies at this point and not ONE has held up their end of the bargain when I've put in my two weeks notice.

Just one of many ways that the work force has not respected me or the hard work I've put into, though way down in the scale of shitty job behaviors. My last job before my current job did not let you have breaks or lunches, then proceeded (usually while drunk) to scream at me about how I still make too much money (I was making minimum wage). The job before that had no drinking water unless you like the taste of lead. They didnt even tell us and one lady almost DIED. This particular job could never tell me whether I'd be working for 3 hours or 15 on any given day. Kind of a big difference.

People wonder why the millenial work force is beat all to fuck and apathetic as shit, lol.

My dad always says "How many days notice to I get when I am sacked?" If the boss says "None", he usually says "Well, that's my answer to your notice period".

Never ever let them manipulate you like this as the rules are never fair. If they give you 2 weeks leave before being fired then that would be more fairer.

Nester99

My dad always says "How many days notice to I get when I am sacked?" If the boss says "None", he usually says "Well, that's my answer to your notice period".

Never ever let them manipulate you like this as the rules are never fair. If they give you 2 weeks leave before being fired then that would be more fairer.

What a shitty way to live your life.
Never heard of severance?

If your father won’t teach integrity I guess no one will.

lil puff

Yeah, I'm imagining this was the case. As anyone who has worked retail knows, having someone miss a shift sucks, and she's probably already somewhat miffed that the OP is moving onto something better while she probably has no better prospects lined up and instead has to find someone to replace him. Working retail just breeds all kinds of stress and bad feelings.
With her immature reaction, it would be no wonder why she would have nothing lined up for her own betterment.

It's not just retail. All occupations come with their stress and BS. There is no excuse to react to situations like that. You bite your tongue and move on.

Responses like hers (and especially if/with a history of this behavior) is what help breed that kind of reaction from OP. I'll personally never accept it and will always be pissed when shit like that happens, but I keep it to myself rather than throw a mini tantrum.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With her immature reaction, it would be no wonder why she would have nothing lined up for her own betterment.

It's not just retail. All occupations come with their stress and BS. There is no excuse to react to situations like that. You bite your tongue and move on.

Responses like hers (and especially if/with a history of this behavior) is what help breed that kind of reaction from OP. I'll personally never accept it and will always be pissed when shit like that happens, but I keep it to myself rather than throw a mini tantrum.

Oh, 100% agreed. Most people stuck in retail are stuck in retail for a reason in my experience. It just becomes a self-reinforcing cycle of bitterness and nastiness.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I also recently got very sick with a stomach flu, where I've been vomiting and shit, and man...I am so fed up with how jobs make you feel like shit for needing a sick day. I literally had no choice, because if I wasn't the actual sickness stopping me from work, it was the medication I got from the ER that made me dizzy as hell to the point that I couldn't stand up. My boss has recently complimented me recently on how I'm so nice and "such a blessing" because I've been helping pick up hours while we were short staffed. Now we're full staffed, I got sick, and my boss was being short with me. I just don't appreciate that crap at all.

lmao fukking piece of sh!t one time i got fired from a job and yelled and cursed out my boss felt so good calling him a "bald dog piece of sh!t" :) job was a piece of sh!t that didn't matter and barely paid anything so I didn't give a fukk i was a sick of it found a higher paying job like 2 months later

edit: though we did end up shaking hands and saying bye to each other & told him he was a good boss & I liked the job...lmao that was kinda weird whatever...

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Good to know I'm not alone at least.

I've just never been a believer in acting on pure emotion and try to treat people with respect. To assume I'm lying right away says a lot about how she actually feels towards me as a person. And if she thinks I'm someone who just lies then idk why she even wants me to work there.

Durask

As someone on "the boss" side. :messenger_beaming:
People lie all the time, IMHO
However, if someone calls in sick there is no point in antagonizing them. They may be lying or they may be telling the truth. There is no point in antagonizing them because if they are telling the truth they will be upset and if they are lying, you can't do anything about it anyway.

Generally people who BS all the time are not well liked so you find out anyway. A while back we had an employee who called in sick and then sent facebook pics of her going to a game that day to her coworkers with a caption like "Hi, having fun, wish you were here lol" or somesuch. Dumbass did not realize that when other people have to work more because you decided to skip work, they will not like you very much.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP has an opportunity to go to a better situation and no way in hell workers talk like what the OP listed hahahaha

What a shitty way to live your life.
Never heard of severance?

If your father won’t teach integrity I guess no one will.

I guess we all have to abide by the rules of the higher ups 100% of the time, huh? Sucking dick must really be that good.

Ever heard of other cultures are not the US? The UK only give you severance pay if you fit a criteria. "If your face fits" comes to mind a lot. If you get sacked in the UK, you don't usually get that much money back.

Given he's worked for 40+ years without a break (7 days a week), he has every right to have an opinion of how bosses treat you. He has a lot of integrity for people but will not tolerate being taken the piss out of.

What a Snowflake comment if I have ever heard of one. If you are offended by that comment (which by the way, the OP doesn't need to take), then I guess no one else will.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Show up on Friday and just tell the lady that you didn’t appreciate the third degree about calling in. No hard feelings but I’m also not one to let people talk to me any old kind of way. Could give a fuck if you’re technically my boss. Don’t burn bridges is always sound advice, but I’ve burned plenty of shitty bridges that led to nowhere.

NickFire

But if I have a other job, I've given notice, why would I even bother to call them if I wasn't sick.

Maybe I'm reading into it but to blantantly Say and you're really sick sounds/feels like an accusation to me. You're only asking if that if someone thinks they are being lied to.
People do that all the time. Some to use up sick time they cannot cash out. Some because they just don't care anymore. I wouldn't put much thought into being asked if you were really sick under the circumstances. Probably just a gut reaction based on how common that is.

Nester99

I guess we all have to abide by the rules of the higher ups 100% of the time, huh? Sucking dick must really be that good.

Ever heard of other cultures are not the US? The UK only give you severance pay if you fit a criteria. "If your face fits" comes to mind a lot. If you get sacked in the UK, you don't usually get that much money back.

Given he's worked for 40+ years without a break (7 days a week), he has every right to have an opinion of how bosses treat you. He has a lot of integrity for people but will not tolerate being taken the piss out of.

What a Snowflake comment if I have ever heard of one. If you are offended by that comment (which by the way, the OP doesn't need to take), then I guess no one else will.

I am not from the US.
I am not offended, i am just sad for you. Your attitude is not going to set you up for a happy life.

highrider

Banned
I am not from the US.
I am not offended, i am just sad for you. Your attitude is not going to set you up for a happy life.

Calm down dude, it’s just a retail job. At no point is Goldman and Sachs going to red flag him, hold up on number 127, we have a possible two week notice violation at a retail job..

Would your job give you a two-weeks notice if they were going to fire you? No. Fuck em. You did the polite thing and basically gave them the time they need to replace you without having to re-arrange deck chairs and she’s being an asshole about it.

Nester99

Calm down dude, it’s just a retail job. At no point is Goldman and Sachs going to red flag him, hold up on number 127, we have a possible two week notice violation at a retail job..

I was not talking to the OP.
I was talking to the guy who said "doing the right thing is like sucking your employers dick"

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you making a deal out of this you will soon work elsewhere anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just finish your 2 weeks. That shit follows you.

At a lot of places you are instantly fired if you call in during your 2 week notice. If you merely just got a shitty comment, just prove them wrong and finish it out.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Just finish your 2 weeks. That shit follows you.

At a lot of places you are instantly fired if you call in during your 2 week notice. If you merely just got a shitty comment, just prove them wrong and finish it out.

This. Let’s say this new place doesn’t work out at some point. Many companies want some extensive 7-10 year employment history background. Legally, they can’t get specifics over what happened, but they can inquire if you were considered re-hirable. Try to avoid the answer to that becoming a no.

OP there are arseholea, buttsniffers and dickriding scum in all work places.
My team leader is an absolute bitch but to keep my job I have to eat her shit each and every fucking day. If I leave my job tomorrow I will find more like her.

1. Don overwork yourself. Do only what you need to. Hard work and being selfless and helping others gets you nowhere. You'll get ridden like SeaBuscuit real quick.

2. Try and maintain absolute professionalism becuase if shit hits the fan, your manager has no leg to stand on and you can then happily point out her shitty behaviour.
Kill them with kindness and professionalism.

3. Call in sick whenever you want. Fucking co workers do it all the time and some even use their 'kids are sick' excuse to stay out of work.
Fuck slimey co workers and team leaders. Stay within the rules, do what you need to and chill.

4. Always remember that your team leader will most likely be your reference for your next job. So keep that connection intact.

Daily I have to tolerate this bitch of a manager at work but I'm keeping smiling until i find another job or career path.

G-Bus

Banned
Don't sweat it OP. I hear you though.

I've worked a lot of different jobs. Always hate calling in sick because it always feels like they don't believe you. The trick is to stop caring.

If you think that's bad try working construction. Miss a day and you got the whole crew giving you a hard time for days. I almost quit once just so I didn't have to deal with that bullshit.

Good luck at your new job.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Don't sweat it OP. I hear you though.

I've worked a lot of different jobs. Always hate calling in sick because it always feels like they don't believe you. The trick is to stop caring.

If you think that's bad try working construction. Miss a day and you got the whole crew giving you a hard time for days. I almost quit once just so I didn't have to deal with that bullshit.

Good luck at your new job.
Thanks for the kind words.

I think it's the long drawn out process of this whole thing. Whole store morale is very low and I this manager has a way of just beating you down so my self confidence is shaken quite a bit before this, then after this whole thing happened I think I hit my WTF limit.

I'm hoping once I'm officially going I start my new job things will feel a lot better.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why are you making a deal out of this you will soon work elsewhere anyway.
Fair. I guess in my head me not starting this other job specifically to give this one a two weeks now feels like a mistake. I could of spent that time at the new position.

They didn’t accuse you of lying, they just don’t believe you. Unless they go out of their way to ruin your rep or spread lies amongst your peers, why the fuck do you care? You’re leaving.

3a0.gif

Last edited:
I understand, I quit my first job at a fast food place because my boss accused me of being lazy when I worked harder than all the other people there. 90% of my co-workers were females and they expected the man to do all the hard jobs. Literally the next shift I put my 2 weeks in and she called me to my office and was like did you quit because of what I said? I wanted to be like the fuck you think?

Cato

Banned
Sorry but what you describe does not sound like an accusation.
It just sounds like your manager is off because he/she needs to find a replacement causal on short notice.

You are triggered by this? maybe you are not cut out for the real world.
And no, you should not burn all bridges and act out like a millennial and quit on the spot.
Deal with it and do the responsible thing during the time you have left.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They didn’t accuse you of lying, they just don’t believe you. Unless they go out of their way to ruin your rep or spread lies amongst your peers, why the fuck do you care? You’re leaving.

3a0.gif

How's that any different from calling someone a liar? If you don't believe them... That would be a lie.

lil puff

If you were her on the other end, you wouldn't believe you either
True. I fake call in sick all the time. My boss does it too.

But I would never outwardly react or say anything.

If my boss emailed me that she would not be in the office because she was sick, and I replied "LOL yeah right, enjoy the beach" I would be reprimanded, and that would not be an overreaction from her, imo.

Top Bottom