• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My contention: Terminator 3 is a quality Terminator film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that my contention? Yes that is my contention. I heard him contend that.

Having watched all 3 today, I've come to the conclusion that whilst Judgement Day is the pinnacle of the series, 3 is not nearly as unworthy a Terminator film as some have claimed it to be.

Yes, the acting may be a tad off at times, and the TX is perhaps not intimidating enough because of it being a female, but honestly everything else is pretty much just as good as anything else in the series. The ending is especially fantastic - the feeling of hopelessness and the set up for the fourth movie was just as good as ending as when Arnie was lowered into the magma in 2.

Give it some more love people. Because it sure as hell loves you.

Pakkidis

It was decent but no where near the quality of T2. Then again T2 is probably one of the greatest action movies of all time and its also an amazing movie in its own right.

T3 really felt 'off' without the touch of james cameron.

I dont hate it, I just think that T2 and T1 are much better

especially T2

im trying to think if its better than that 3D Terminator 2 movie, but I havent seen that in a while

koam

3 is great, people who hate it hated it before they even saw it.

im trying to think if its better than that 3D Terminator 2 movie, but I havent seen that in a while

You mean that 10 minute thingy at universal studios? That wasn't a movie it was just a special effect showcase... OMG IT'S THE TEE ONE MILLION

Nameless

Its ok, but the ending was such a ****in cop-out. I expected more following The Terminator and T2, honestly. The chase scene was stuff of legend, though.

I dig it too.

I really liked how the ending
set up the first (and still best) movie.
Its also got the best kill in the entire series (
steering wheel :lol
). So much of the film seemed to be just empty spectacle and fan service, but its really good spectacle and is actually pretty funny. I would say a 4th movie is not nessecary, but I said the same thing a about the 3rd film and it turned out pretty okay.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's just below T2. T1 is the worst because it's just didn't have the budget to flesch things out like the other two.

The problem with Terminator 3 is that it serves no purpose in the series and it doesn't bring anything really new either. Some fans would even claim the movie cheats them by not giving them what they really wanted in a potential sequel to Terminator 2: the future war.

It's still a good, action-filled flick with Arnie as we like him best, but one still wonders where all that budget went into and what the movie could have been if it was not butchered in the editing room.

jjasper

Instigator said:
The problem with Terminator 3 is that it serves no purpose in the series and it doesn't bring anything really new either.

I wouldn't say that, it shows how Judgement day went down, how John survived and how he would be in control of the human army.

It's not a bad Terminator movie at all.

dalyr95

loe55_22-faceslapanimation.gif

No, as part of the Terminator series, 3 is definately the weakest. Don't get me wrong, as a standalone movie, its OK, but viewed as a whole, it is the worse.

The Terminator is a killing machine, it is meant to be feared. In T2 when the T1000 music played, it created fear, if a Terminator walks into the room, you shit yourself.
In T3 the first thing you see is the Terminator wearing Elton John sunglasses, ha.

All T3 did was weaken the perception of the Terminator and therefore removed any suspense and fear the film had.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
T3 was the weakest of the three, but still highly entertaining. I gave it 7/10 I believe.

I guess the action was good and all. But I was against the sequel ever since I first heard the plot. It didn't add anything new to the Terminator story line and that's what really bugs me. Pointless sequel.

Solo

I don't even remember it, so that to me pretty much means it was mediocre and forgettable. Either insult me with your awfulness or blow me away with your awesomeness, but at least make an impression!

Shinobi

T3 was probably lighter than it should've been, and that was a bit off kelter compared to the first few movies, but some of the stuff Arnie did and said just cracked me up so I really didn't care.

I always thought 3 should've just been a pure future war movie, but I did like the way they set things up for that flick. And the ending is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, along with the ten minute chase sequence.

I hate the fact that it got edited down though (and not just edited, but ****ing skewered)...I bet the movie would've been better appreciated if that stuff had been left in.

jjasper said:
I wouldn't say that, it shows how Judgement day went down, how John survived

We knew that already by Terminator 1. But Terminator 3 reseted the timelines and introduced a different future.

and how he would be in control of the human army.

It was emphasized in Terminator 1 and 2 that he was a great leader, warrior and had knowledge of the future.

koam

MrOctober said:
Or they hated it because it had scenes like "talk to the hand" And it was unbelievably awful.

Erm, Terminator was ALWAYS corny. Have you ever even seen part 2? Those scenes with John Connor were terrible in part 2. Although, part 2 has one of the funniest scenes ever:

(deleted scenes)
*John Connor is crying
<Arnold> WHAT'S WRUNG WIT UR EYYE

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"TALLLK TO DA HAAAAND" was the moment the series died for me.

Terminator 3 was more of a parody of the first two films than a sequel. Nice ending though.

Chiggs

Terminator 3 is unnecessary crap. Granted it was released the same summer as The Matrix: Reloaded, so it seems to have caught some slack; however, it's still miserable...and it taints a quality franchise.

koam said:
(deleted scenes)
*John Connor is crying

:lol :lol :lol

i think on its own it's pretty good, but yea in terms of the series it kind of contradicts some stuff that was in the second

OmniGamer

koam said:
Erm, Terminator was ALWAYS corny. Have you ever even seen part 2? Those scenes with John Connor were terrible in part 2. Although, part 2 has one of the funniest scenes ever:

(deleted scenes)
*John Connor is crying

That's not a deleted scene...isn't that the scene of them in the car after they picked up Sarah and she chewed John out for coming to get her?

And in T2, there is NOTHING approaching the cringworthiness of "TALK TO DA HAND".

h1nch

I really dug T3. I remember reading for years how the project was shaping up to be a disaster, then I saw the movie and was pleasantly surprised. Obviously its nowhere near as good as T2, but it was still a fun summer action flick, and the plot wasn't a total mess, which is what I expected.

I actually really liked the idea that while they altered the timeline and judgement day (what they thought it was going to be) passed without anything happening, yet the end result was still inevitable. I also liked the way they explained how skynet took over.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I've said it before and I'll say it again. T3 fails just because of this retarded exchange:

John Connor: Do you even remember me? Sarah Connor, blowing up Cyberdyne, hasta la vista, baby. Ring any bells?
Terminator: That was a different T-101.
John Connor: What do you guys, come off an assembly line or something?
Terminator: Exactly.
John Connor: Oh man, I'm gonna have to teach you everything all over again.

That has got to be the worst out-of-character, exposition exchange ever.

Xzior

fallengorn said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. T3 fails just because of this retarded exchange:

John Connor: Do you even remember me? Sarah Connor, blowing up Cyberdyne, hasta la vista, baby. Ring any bells?
Terminator: That was a different T-101.
John Connor: What do you guys, come off an assembly line or something?
Terminator: Exactly.
John Connor: Oh man, I'm gonna have to teach you everything all over again.

That has got to be the worst out-of-character, exposition exchange ever.
That proves it... John Connor, savior of mankind = brain damaged retard.

dalyr95 said:
loe55_22-faceslapanimation.gif

No, as part of the Terminator series, 3 is definately the weakest. Don't get me wrong, as a standalone movie, its OK, but viewed as a whole, it is the worse.

The Terminator is a killing machine, it is meant to be feared. In T2 when the T1000 music played, it created fear, if a Terminator walks into the room, you shit yourself.
In T3 the first thing you see is the Terminator wearing Elton John sunglasses, ha.

All T3 did was weaken the perception of the Terminator and therefore removed any suspense and fear the film had.

whats going on with that gif

theBishop

Banned
If there are people who feel T3 was some sort of "sell out" moment for the series, or somehow undermined the artistic merit of the franchise, well... those people think too highly of Terminator.

I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Not as good as T2, but definitely worthy of the series.

chase

It's ok, but the action (aside from parts of the car chase) don't feel "hard". If anyone knows what I mean.

GeMiNii

I actually liked T3 better than T2, but neither can touch the original with a stick story wise (or making sense wise).

Actually, T2 just bugged the hell out of me. T1, Arnold walks up to some guy, says give me your clothes, then punches right through his ****ing chest and takes them. Of course, he's a bad ass killing machine from the future. In T2, he shows up, gets burned, stabbed, punched, threatened with fire arms... AND HE DIDN'T KILL ANYONE? Christ he didn't even jam anyone up that bad. This continues for the whole first act of the movie, until he finally decides to try to kill the guy who is defending his friend. Gah! At least in T3 the excuse was that he pre-programmed this one to not be human aggro, as compared to T2 which was only programmed to defend John. Which also hurt my brain. Terminator made sense, one got through, they got there and decided to send one person through then smash it. Over the next two, somehow the people who sent the first guy through managed to miss two advanced prototypes that got sent to the future of the first one (where they'd be less effective naturally), but also had time to dink around and reprogram a couple of the old models (instead of one of the newer ones laying around).

Okay, both 2 and 3 actually sucked from a story stand point. At least 3 tried to get back to the inevitability of fate conceit that worked so well in the first one.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
GeMiNii said:
I actually liked T3 better than T2, but neither can touch the original with a stick story wise (or making sense wise).

Actually, T2 just bugged the hell out of me. T1, Arnold walks up to some guy, says give me your clothes, then punches right through his ****ing chest and takes them. Of course, he's a bad ass killing machine from the future. In T2, he shows up, gets burned, stabbed, punched, threatened with fire arms... AND HE DIDN'T KILL ANYONE? Christ he didn't even jam anyone up that bad. This continues for the whole first act of the movie, until he finally decides to try to kill the guy who is defending his friend. Gah! At least in T3 the excuse was that he pre-programmed this one to not be human aggro, as compared to T2 which was only programmed to defend John. Which also hurt my brain. Terminator made sense, one got through, they got there and decided to send one person through then smash it. Over the next two, somehow the people who sent the first guy through managed to miss two advanced prototypes that got sent to the future of the first one (where they'd be less effective naturally), but also had time to dink around and reprogram a couple of the old models (instead of one of the newer ones laying around).

Okay, both 2 and 3 actually sucked from a story stand point. At least 3 tried to get back to the inevitability of fate conceit that worked so well in the first one.
He only tried to kill the guy defending his friend because they were trying to harm John Connor.

chase said:
It's ok, but the action (aside from parts of the car chase) don't feel "hard". If anyone knows what I mean.
I know what you mean. I was really bothered with the crotch grab in the bathroom fight. Not the right place for a gag!

Pimpbaa

ghst said:
"TALLLK TO DA HAAAAND" was the moment the series died for me.

As if "hasta la vista, baby" was any better. 2 had it's corny bits and so did 3. Like koam said, people hated 3 before they even saw it (no james cameron, oh noes!!!).

Pimpbaa

chase said:

I was plenty hard when the Terminatrix walked out of her time teleportation bubble naked.

GeMiNii

Lathentar said:
He only tried to kill the guy defending his friend because they were trying to harm John Connor.

Dude, the guy defending his friend was on Arnold's back, and he was actually trying to defuse the situation ("Let's go man, forget about it!") The guy who was actually about to kick the crap out of John was the guy Arnold was holding. ARGH.

One of the most famous lines of Arnold's career is "I'll be back." Because when he came back he took out an entire police station. You know, unstoppable killing machine. In T2 we see.. Kills 0.0. ARGH.

Actually, this thread reminds me of how great a film T1 actually was and I need to watch it again soon. Here's hoping for a HD remaster!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
GeMiNii said:
Dude, the guy defending his friend was on Arnold's back, and he was actually trying to defuse the situation ("Let's go man, forget about it!") The guy who was actually about to kick the crap out of John was the guy Arnold was holding. ARGH.

One of the most famous lines of Arnold's career is "I'll be back." Because when he came back he took out an entire police station. You know, unstoppable killing machine. In T2 we see.. Kills 0.0. ARGH.

Actually, this thread reminds me of how great a film T1 actually was and I need to watch it again soon. Here's hoping for a HD remaster!
Did the T1000 not kill enough guys for you?

GeMiNii said:

They had to tone down Arnold to make him likeable as a good guy. Let's just say he was lucky a set of very fortunate circumstances in T2 made him look brutal instead of lethal. :)

LakeEarth

My only with T3 was the complete lack of personality of the TX. Even in T1, Arnold would feign emotion and not act like a robot for 100% of the movie. T1000 actually had a personality acting as the cop, interviewing people looking for John. When John was in his sights, that's when the T1000 switched to killing machine mode. For some reason the TX was always 'robot' mode, even when pretending to be Claire Daine's fiancee, he was acting like a strange 'invasion of the body snatchers' crazy mode and it didn't fit. The TX was always in stone-face killer mode even when the situation didn't call for it.

RumFore

Banned
I liked 3 alot because of the apocalyptic tone to it. Its up to the standards of the first two IMO and The twist at the end was also great.

Jacobi

Banned
The first one hasn't really aged well to be honest. The stop-motion isn't that much to look at anymore. I really loved the END OF TERMINATOR 3 WITH THE EXPLOSIONS AND STUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom