• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dad wants to play retro 80’s games.

Rossco EZ

Hi guys, so my dad has been wanting to play some old 80’s retro games and i’m wondering what’s out there. is there any chipped consoles you would recommend that have a vast library built in and is some what simplified for him?

i know there’s emulators on pc but that’s something he wouldn’t want to use, he would prefer a console under the tv or a box that has the games built in for him to turn on a play. any suggestions would help as i have no clue about the old devices.

nush

Gold Member
Find out what type of "Retro" games he likes, it could be arcade, 8-bit home micros or 8-bit consoles. Also how old is your dad? That would help pin down the nostalgia sweet spot he's looking for, there's a bit difference between 1980 and 1985 gaming content.

look for a ps classic and then get on youtube. There are all kinds of videos about modding it to play games from the older generations. Or if you want something portable, pick up a vita. They are easy to mod and can play many of the older games as well.

Saber

Gold Member
Theres a mini versions of Mega Drive and Master System in my country, but I'm not sure around the world. Those old consoles are pretty popular around here.

Sorcerer

Probably not a popular response. But have you considered the Amico? If he is into the idea of retro games with a more modern look he might dig this. Of course he would have probably have to have been into Intellevision in the first place but they seem to have the vast majority of first party Atari titles locked up also. And as far as Atari goes Intellevision with Amico seem to being doing Atari better than the Atari VCS which is a bit strange. Anyway just a thought. Disregard if he needs something more immediately of course or his idea of retro is from a later period.

Rossco EZ

Find out what type of "Retro" games he likes, it could be arcade, 8-bit home micros or 8-bit consoles. Also how old is your dad? That would help pin down the nostalgia sweet spot he's looking for, there's a bit difference between 1980 and 1985 gaming content.
he has mentioned 80’s arcade, games mentioned were frogger, pac-man, galactica and also he’s 52.

INC

Raspberry pi 3, retroarch and roms

All in he can have every 80's game (and 90 onward) for less that £60

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Probably not a popular response. But have you considered the Amico? If he is into the idea of retro games with a more modern look he might dig this. Of course he would have probably have to have been into Intellevision in the first place but they seem to have the vast majority of first party Atari titles locked up also. And as far as Atari goes Intellevision with Amico seem to being doing Atari better than the Atari VCS which is a bit strange. Anyway just a thought. Disregard if he needs something more immediately of course or his idea of retro is from a later period.
i’ll take a look and show him, thanks.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Echoing the recommendations for retropie especially if he wants a glut of 80s arcade games. If you wanna splurge a bit on a USB arcade stick (maybe even go one step further and mod it with the retropie inside and the HMDI sticking out), he could have the arcade experience in his lap.

dan76

Get a modded original Xbox with coin ops installed. I bought a second one off gumtree for £50 last year, my original is still going strong. Can't beat it for retro couch gaming.

Plus you can play Outrun2006, every dad loves that.

nush

Gold Member
he has mentioned 80’s arcade, games mentioned were frogger, pac-man, galactica and also he’s 52.

Early 80's arcade games is his sweet spot then. So you'll be looking for an off the shelf console in a joystick that has Atari, Namco, Taito, Williams and Konami games on it if you don't want to go the route of making a dedicated Raspberry Pie solution. Or you could go with a newer console like an Xbox 360/PS3/Wii and buy the games from the online store or look out for the compilation discs of retro games for it.

Rossco EZ

Early 80's arcade games is his sweet spot then. So you'll be looking for an off the shelf console in a joystick that has Atari, Namco, Taito, Williams and Konami games on it if you don't want to go the route of making a dedicated Raspberry Pie solution. Or you could go with a newer console like an Xbox 360/PS3/Wii and buy the games from the online store or look out for the compilation discs of retro games for it.
so would i be after something like this? https://droidbox.co.uk/droix-retro-...pberry-pi-retropie-entertainment-console.html

and then i’d install games onto it?

Rossco EZ

Yes, something just like that, but I's recomend finding an USB actual joystick instead of the supplied joypad. A lot of older gamers dont like pads as much as sticks, especially as your dad wants arcade games.
ok i’ll show him what everyone has suggested and this and hopefully will be able to to set something up for him, thanks so much for the help :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom