• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog died last night, it hurts so much

I've come to find that the bigger the dog, the bigger the love you develop for them. He was like a big dumb human child.

One hour he was happy, wagging his tail, the next I was holding him at 2am in the morning at an emergency vet clinic as they put him to sleep
His stomach had twisted in on itself, by the time we got him to the only open vet clinic in town his organs had been destroyed by lack of oxygen, he was just agonizing in pain. Only his heart and brain still functional.
It really didn't help that it was a public holiday and he had needed emergency care so late in the day. But what must happen, happens sometimes. He was an old dog for his breed, he was the liveliest pup in the litter and he had outlived all his 12 brothers and sisters.

It hurts so much, waking up to an innocent, dopey, kind creature for 9 years and now I have to wash his toys and give them away and mourn his passing. One of his toys he had loved and played with for 9 years. At least he died peacefully, euthanasia is a god send. When they gave him the chemicals he just did what he always does before going to sleep, put his paws forward and placed his head on them and closed his eyes while looking at me, not even knowing that he would never wake up, not even afraid of where he was and what was happening.

Fuck it hurts so much.

Z9elkRw.jpg

5cURGoD.jpg

6rZOnJb.jpg

qeWLa51.jpg

Zs20zLc.jpg

5G1x3Nf.jpg

RIP Benji. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I know. It's ridiculous, but I lost my two dogs (sisters), two cats, and my father over the course of 2 years and it was the loss of the dogs that affected me the most emotionally.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. But this has put me off dogs and cats at least. This is the second long-term dog to pass in the last 20 years for me and given how much and how quickly you get attached to these creature, only for them to die just as they and you develop such a strong relationship is beyond devastating. The lifespans just don't match up between humans and these critters. It feels cruel to go through this time and again.

No pets for me for a long time. Oh god no. Maybe a tortoise or a parrot so they can outlive me.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so sorry to hear this. Mine passed away suddenly of a heart attack on September 30th of last year, so I know how you feel. It's the most painful experience I've ever gone through. I wish I could say it get easier, but in my experience it doesn't, you just learn to live with the pain and the feeling of emptiness. Try and take solace in the fact that while you may have lost your best friend, at least he didn't have to lose his.

Last edited:

Carton

My condolences. His puppy pics are adorable and he looks like a big cuddly hulk as an adult. Your words on his passing, particularly him drifting to sleep like it was any other nap, were really poignant; I showed my wife your post and left her a tearful mess. Much love to you.

Uhtred

Im so sorry. So very sorry. Many of us here have been through this.

I wish I could tell you it gets easier.

For me, I grieved, and then adopted a pet in need to honor her, not to replace her, but to honor her.

I still think about her almost every day.

Last edited:

Duellist

That sucks dude, sorry to hear that. I also have a big dog that's getting up in age and I'm dreading the day he dies. People dont realize how attached to them you get. Just like losing a member of the family. Take care

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm really sorry and hope that things feel better with time.

As an owner of 2 dogs that are getting old now (8 and 10), this thread terrifies me. I know it's going to happen one day and it's going to be fucking horrible.

It's Jeff

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know when I lost Elvis, I was devastated. Painted his portrait - that's him in my avatar.

I hope you don't give up on dogs and cats forever. I can tell you gave your pup a great home with lots of care and love and made his life wonderful. If you ever head down to the shelter and pick out a new pup, I know that dog just won the owner lottery.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I'm really sorry and hope that things feel better with time.

As an owner of 2 dogs that are getting old now (8 and 10), this thread terrifies me. I know it's going to happen one day and it's going to be fucking horrible.

Same. Honestly I don't know what I'm going to do I would probably have to quit my job and live in a mountain for a long time..

There's a video on YouTube of Jimmy Stewart reading a poem about his dog on Johnny Carson that makes me cry uncontrollably like a baby every time I don't even want to look for it its that bad

So sorry op

Neogaf was there for me when my cat died and I will never forget that

Last edited:

I’m so sorry. I understand the feeling all too well. It will be very difficult for a bit and will get easier with time. I’ve lost two dogs in less than 2 years. One was expected the other was not. Castle was only 3 and he was fine until he was not. He died with all of us holding him at 3 am in the morning. He died of heart failure and took his last breath after seeing my son come in the room who was his best friend.

They are part of the family and it hurts to lose them. I’m sorry for your loss.

This little poem I found online helps.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day. If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man" or "just a woman." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they "just don't understand." ~Unknown Author~

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've come to find that the bigger the dog, the bigger the love you develop for them. He was like a big dumb human child.

One hour he was happy, wagging his tail, the next I was holding him at 2am in the morning at an emergency vet clinic as they put him to sleep
His stomach had twisted in on itself, by the time we got him to the only open vet clinic in town his organs had been destroyed by lack of oxygen, he was just agonizing in pain. Only his heart and brain still functional.
It really didn't help that it was a public holiday and he had needed emergency care so late in the day. But what must happen, happens sometimes. He was an old dog for his breed, he was the liveliest pup in the litter and he had outlived all his 12 brothers and sisters.

It hurts so much, waking up to an innocent, dopey, kind creature for 9 years and now I have to wash his toys and give them away and mourn his passing. One of his toys he had loved and played with for 9 years. At least he died peacefully, euthanasia is a god send. When they gave him the chemicals he just did what he always does before going to sleep, put his paws forward and placed his head on them and closed his eyes while looking at me, not even knowing that he would never wake up, not even afraid of where he was and what was happening.

Fuck it hurts so much.

Z9elkRw.jpg

5cURGoD.jpg

6rZOnJb.jpg

qeWLa51.jpg

Zs20zLc.jpg

5G1x3Nf.jpg

I am so very very sorry for your loss. :messenger_anxious:

Our pets are very much members of the family. They're our precious babies and can be full of so much love! My heart and prayers are with you and all who were blessed to know and love little Benji. I hope the warm memories of the past will help ease your pain my friend...

I got myself hydrated, had some food and went to the gym. I need more sleep. I feel 1% better, still 99% depressed. It helps to talk about dogs and pets in general. Worst memory of that night that is still agonizing me is the moment I took my hand off his big limp head and walked away, never to see him again. Then I had a repeating dream of the vet saying 'his heart has stopped now' while seeing the second of the two big euthanasia vials she gave him going into his body via the tube, the one that stopped his heart while he slept.

My immediate family are devastated but they have something to occupy themselves with and each other to talk to. They have places to go. I'm stuck here in my flat alone, as I work from home, with no Benji. Where his bed used to be I moved my Newtonian telescope. He was as curious as anyone who has spent cold nights looking up at the stars in silence. I know because he would always look up at me.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I am so sorry for you loss I just lost my Beagle last Friday and I know what your going through. If it helps at all Brady was my seventh dog that I have loved and lost and it does get better. I personally find getting another dog helps the healing process and I am already looking for my families next four legged companion. Getting another dog right away isn’t for everyone but for me it is what has always helped most.

Falcs

Banned
I'm so sorry for your loss, OP.
I had to put my cat down 2 years ago due to health complications. It was the worst time of my life. It completely broke me and my wife. We cried and cried for weeks and months. We still tear up when we talk about it or look at photos of her.
Unfortunately the pain never goes away, but it does get easier to deal with it. You eventually learn to accept and live with the pain. Even to the point where you can smile and laugh again, but it will always hurt.
People don't understand that pets are your children.

We adopted 2 new cats shortly after and we found that having them to give our love to and to care for really helped us to heal.

You gave your dog a good life, OP. Just focus on the good memories and think of the times when he was most happy.

lock2k

Banned
It

Fuck it hurts so much.

Z9elkRw.jpg

5cURGoD.jpg

6rZOnJb.jpg

qeWLa51.jpg

Zs20zLc.jpg

5G1x3Nf.jpg

It does hurt a lot. I lost two in my lifetime and it never gets easier. They are pure love. Only those who loved an animal this way know what it's like. My condolences. :(

Top Bottom