• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog died last night, it hurts so much

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I'm sorry for your loss, it's a horrible thing to have to do, but try to keep in mind that at the end you were looking out for him and doing what was best for him regardless of the pain it caused you.

I had to have my dog put down last year. Had her fifteen and a half years and it broke me making that decision and telling the vet to do it. Genuinely crushing and still breaks me when I think about it, but you got to bear that pain and keep a focus on the good memories. Print out one of those pictures, frame it and turn to it when you miss him or need to remember the good times - it helps.

guggnichso

Banned
I‘m sorry for your loss, OP. We never should see the ones we love go from us, animal or human. I wish someone will have the strength you had for you dog to do for me when the pain is not bearable any more.

Last edited:

Uhtred

To cheer you up and make you smile.

A Dog’s Diary
8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

A Cat’s Diary
Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.
I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

I'm really sorry to hear about your poor pup's passing. It hurts, I had to bury my dog and it was heartbreaking. The time shared and memories will far outweigh the pain you're feeling... at least, I hope they will.

I am so sorry for you loss I just lost my Beagle last Friday and I know what your going through. If it helps at all Brady was my seventh dog that I have loved and lost and it does get better. I personally find getting another dog helps the healing process and I am already looking for my families next four legged companion. Getting another dog right away isn’t for everyone but for me it is what has always helped most.

Benji himself was the result of a prior loss; our first dog. We had her for over 10 years. We got Benji within weeks of her passing. Her loss was particularly bad because we didn't get a chance to put her to sleep to ease the pain, she suffered heart failure and it came all at once. I had to wrap her in a blanket and drive her body to the vet for cremation.

Yes, Benji did help with the healing but I became even more attached to him as a result. Now his loss is even more devastating. I can't do this again. I will save my love for children that will outlive me. I cant keep having those I love taken from me.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
Sorry man. That sucks really hard. Had to euthanize my cat yesterday as well. Still reeling from it. My other cat, Xander, he knew something was up with her, Bitty Cow. He normally sleeps in bed with me and my wife, but last night, I got up in the middle of the night and found him sleeping by the front door. He meowed, and it just devastated me, because he was like, “When is she coming home?” I buried her out back, but being both indoor cats, he never saw Bitty after I left for the vet.

I hope you’re doing better today. I know it’s going to take time to heal. For me, it doesn’t feel like I did the right thing putting my animal down. That there should have been more I could have done. Tried different meds, but when we found out yesterday it was cancer, I knew this was it. I didn’t want her to suffer. Although it feels wrong, I know I did the right thing, and I guess the reason I’m sharing this—and I know you know you did the right thing—but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else that in the midst of an impossible scenario, you did the right thing.

I know we don’t see eye to eye on things, but for now, I just want to put that all aside and tell you that you have my deepest sympathies. Take care man.

Kazza

One hour he was happy, wagging his tail, the next I was holding him at 2am in the morning at an emergency vet clinic as they put him to sleep

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been through a similar experience 10+ years ago (rushing the dog to the vet in the early hours of the morning, only to have to put her down).

My dog was very old (around 20 years, I believe). She had already started to go blind in the final year of her life, had a bit of arthiritis, and a weak bladder too. Fortunately, she would always go in one of two spots in the kitchen, so we would lay down black plastic bags flat to catch the urine. We became experts at picking up the bags by the four corners simultaneously so as to avoid getting any piss on our hands. Despite everything, she didn't seem to be in any pain until that night, when she suddenly started crying and yelping. The vet said there was nothing she could do (some kind of advanced cancer), and she was put to sleep with me and my parents all holding her.

She could be a pretty bad tempered dog at times. She was also pretty independent. I sometimes thought that she was a dog with the personality of a cat! I kind of liked her all the more for that. She could also be very affectionate of course. My strongest memories is of her jumping up at the door and ripping the letters out of the letterbox whenever the postman came. She would also run jumping and barking at the door whenever anyone came knocking. It took a while to get used to not seeing her excited expression and wagging tail whenever I came home.

My parents haven't had another pet since. Like you, they don't want to go through the whole painful process again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have lost a couple animals in my life. 3 dogs, 3 cats, and each time it hurts just as worse as the first. I remember a dog my family owned. He was a black labrador and a rescue dog too. He was always barking at fireworks and he would follow us around the yard. He was great company. One time I came home from college and my parents told me his arthritis had started causing him issues. He got up once I walked inside the house and he came to see me. He wagged his tail and greeted me like he always had. The thing is, this was the last time he would ever stand up again. I remember the days following his final trip to the vet. I would cover him up with a blanket and give him some food. He would eat and drink, so we thought he might just need some relaxation and recovery. His situation got worse when he stopped eating. I remember the moment before we took him. I put out a rug and had him sit in front of the front door. That way he could watch the birds and cars go by. It was incredibly difficult.

When my cat died they took his paw prints and made me a nice letter. Attached was this poem:
118763d388f842b32eebfce6ce06bfda.png

edbrat

that hound won the doggie lottery and the prize was to spend a lifetime with you, hope you're not suffering too much.

And think about giving another animal as much happiness again, lord knows the world needs more good pet owners not less.

Virex

Banned
As an animal lover myself I can't begin to say how sorry I am. PM me if you really want to talk. I probably can't say anything to make you feel better but I will always list. I really am sorry for your loss. Breaks my heart

Humdinger

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. My dog crossed over Friday before last. She was my best friend and constant companion for 10 years. I know how much it hurts. I think people underestimate how powerful the connection and love can be, between a person and a dog. I mean no disrespect to any of the people I've loved, but the level of pain I felt when my dogs died (I've had two pass) far exceeded what I felt at the death of any human (and I've lost my mom, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles). I mean, at one level, love is love, but at another, an animal's love is unconditional and beyond words, and they are there for you in a way few human beings ever are.

I don't know if you're a spiritual person, but I'll just share my conviction that your dog has only discarded a worn out body. He is still alive in spirit. You can still talk to him. You can still hear from him, if you know how to listen. And certainly, you'll see him again. He isn't dead. He just slipped out of his fur suit. He's still alive and doing better than ever. And he's still with you.

Last edited:
It helps to keep the mind occupied. It's a real hurdle starting a new task, but once it gets going it keeps going and the more time passes the less crushed I feel. The pain in my chest has finally started to ease up. (no its not a bad heart) :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm finally able to look at pictures of him without crying salty man tears.

VsRAtO0.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a year an a half since we had our Black Lab put down. Hardest thing I ever went through, and I've lost both my mother and brother.
Making the decision to end her suffering affected me deeply. "Are we doing the right thing? She seems fine today".
Just a week ago, I dreamed we had her still, and in my dream I was extremely sad and started crying. I woke up with tears in my eyes.
Last night my wife mentioned the "possibility" of getting a dog again. I don't know if I can do it. Don't let the sadness of loss keep you from loving again, they say. I'm not ready.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Losing one is one of the hardest thing ever. And the decision of putting them to sleep is absolutely heartbreaking.
It has been almost 5 years and i still miss my dog.
Stay strong and enjoy the countless amazing memories, my friend

Top Bottom