• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog is walking on three legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a week ago, my dog started walking on three legs. He didn't seem to be in any pain at all, but he's been hobbling all around the house on three legs. He won't go up any stairs, jump onto couches, and when he sits down the leg kind of sticks away from his body. Two days ago we brought him to the vet, and the vet said he tore his ACL. This is very common for small dogs, and not really that big of deal. He suggested we bring him into surgery. The surgery costs roughly $3,000. Ever since the visit I have been reading up about this, and have read in a number of places that a vet might try to push you into surgery quickly, and that sometimes just waiting it out and letting it recover on it's own is the best thing to do.

Does anyone have any experience with this? He's a very small dog, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. He's a Bichon-Frise if that helps. Any suggestions?

okno

I had a bichon frise. This happened to him once, and we let it heal and he was fine. Never happened again after that, also.

I miss that little s.o.b..

I have a roughly 55lbs Labrador mix; she's 18 years old now, but about two years ago we were going on our daily walk and she stopped suddenly, sat down, and wouldn't get up. She didn't seem to be in any pain, just sat there and sort of looked at me funny-like. Anyway, finally she got up and hopped around a bit in the exact way you described. keeping her back leg off the ground. I ended up picking her up and carrying her the rest of the way home since she was really out of breathe trying to hop all the way back. After that, she laid on her leg in a way that it sort of "stuck out" from her body, which I suspect looks a lot like how your dog is doing.

Anyway, she continued to hop on that for a while, eventually got to very lightly putting pressure on it, and after about 6 months, returned to essentially 100%. She's back on the walks with us now like it's no big deal.

I don't know if she tore her ACL, I never took her in to the vet. I guess I'm just hoping my story can some how relate to you and your dog. Best of luck.

srenity

Neo Member
My dog had surgery for a similar condition. She is a toy poodle and we noticed her limping and looked like she was hesitating whenever she had to jump onto higher places. She would even squeal sometimes because of the pain...

17343_941779534126_2526212_52193686.jpg

A week or so after the surgery, it was the saddest thing ever! She had a cast and she was so scared to urinate because she fell on her butt from the cast slipping on her ;___;

A few months after the surgery, she was doing really well. It's weird because she would sometimes limp on the same leg again, but it wasn't as common as before the surgery.

Friends think she's doing it for the attention :lol

I hope talking about the experience kind of helps you :]

Dennis

Banned
Wow, your toy poodle is adorable srenity - look at that little cast! And she looks like a dog that likes attention :)

i have a mini weiner dog and when he runs around in the yard will will only use 3 legs. its not all the time but most the time and he always switches with 3 legs he uses. He's isn't in any pain, he goes up and down stair and jumps up on the bed. I have checked him out and nothing seems to be wrong. I have never seen any dog do this before.

Get a second opinion from another vet, and then another if you must...

If the two/three vets are in agreement, then I would say do what they say as they know best.

JambiBum

My dog has three legs. Got shot by some farmer a few years ago on Christmas day. Guy said he thought my dog was a deer.
My dog looks nothing like a deer :(

He gets around just fine. He's old now though so he's a little slower.

Best solution to your dog's problem. Chop off the leg yourself instead of spending the money at a vet.

Or just wait for a while. Waiting might be best.

DonMigs85

Soka said:
I have a roughly 55lbs Labrador mix; she's 18 years old now, but about two years ago we were going on our daily walk and she stopped suddenly, sat down, and wouldn't get up. She didn't seem to be in any pain, just sat there and sort of looked at me funny-like. Anyway, finally she got up and hopped around a bit in the exact way you described. keeping her back leg off the ground. I ended up picking her up and carrying her the rest of the way home since she was really out of breathe trying to hop all the way back. After that, she laid on her leg in a way that it sort of "stuck out" from her body, which I suspect looks a lot like how your dog is doing.

Anyway, she continued to hop on that for a while, eventually got to very lightly putting pressure on it, and after about 6 months, returned to essentially 100%. She's back on the walks with us now like it's no big deal.

I don't know if she tore her ACL, I never took her in to the vet. I guess I'm just hoping my story can some how relate to you and your dog. Best of luck.
18! That's amazing. We had to put our 13-year old Lab to sleep a couple days ago, his cancer had gotten pretty bad. We really miss him :(

Nakazato

srenity said:
My dog had surgery for a similar condition. She is a toy poodle and we noticed her limping and looked like she was hesitating whenever she had to jump onto higher places. She would even squeal sometimes because of the pain...

17343_941779534126_2526212_52193686.jpg

A week or so after the surgery, it was the saddest thing ever! She had a cast and she was so scared to urinate because she fell on her butt from the cast slipping on her ;___;

A few months after the surgery, she was doing really well. It's weird because she would sometimes limp on the same leg again, but it wasn't as common as before the surgery.

I hope talking about the experience kind of helps you :]
this picture is making both me and my mom cry. happen to our dog twice (same type a dog) blew out both knee 2 years a part from each other (RIP :( )

yuna55

Our vet quoted us $1000, so yea don't jump into anything. And our vet office is the largest and one of the most reputable in the metro area.

We had to have hip replacement/reconstruction for our female and it was $1000. It would've never healed on it's own, and in the few days time before the surgery, her whole leg muscle had disappeared and just hung there. :( Been a year since her surgery and she's doing fantastic.

Her bad knees, however, have and will continue to build arthritis which will basically stiffen and help stabilize them. Even if we have knee replacement, she'll always walk funny and have pain because they're already arthritic. So the vet said if we really want to or she starts having a lot of problems, then have the surgery. Otherwise, give her some glucosamine and limit vigorous exercise.

Our older dog does this occasionally, usually after we let her and our younger boxer run around together. She's always fine after a few days though. Hope your's is ok OP, with whatever you decide to do(like others have said, atleast get a second opinion if you are very worried).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom