• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My favorite feature of the Xbox...

AniHawk

...Is the ability to put your own songs in the game.

However, I wish developers would embrace this more. I know there's the problem that the people who do the music for the game not being a chance to have their music heard. Though, using Halo as an example, I wonder if the following is possible:

Say you beat Halo already on Normal mode, and are going to be playing on Hard mode or higher. You could be given the option to put your own music in the game to gameplay (or maybe even story sequences) once you've beaten the game already. I know this isn't for everybody, and Halo's a bad example as it already has really well done music... I think it'd be a nice bonus for certain games to have is all.

Oh, and keep in mind this is the only feature of the Xbox I've tapped into so far (not paying for DVD capability, but I'll use my 2 months of XBL sometime this year).

element

custom soundtrack works well with games that dont need atmosphere. Halo wouldn't have been what it was without its soundtrack and even game like Voodoo Vince wouldn't have been the same without its soundtrack.
Now racing, sports, multiplayer games (halo mp), they have no excuse.

DarkCloud

I still can't believe the Xbox version of Intellivision Lives doesn't support custom soundtracks...especially since it's music selection is basically how a 3rd party custom soundtrack menu looks like. Hard to relive my youth with that crap they call music playing while I'm in a game.

jarrod

Banned
I'd say the HDD and off the shelf PC derived architecture, for easy modding/emulation heaven. That's what my future XBox will be used for mainly (and a few Capcom/SNK/Sega games) :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
All the possibilites that are available once you mod your Xbox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else

belgurdo

Banned
I <3 the hard drive. To hell with paying $7-30 for a memory card!

btw, how do you mod a Xbox, anyway? Do you take it somewhere or order parts?

The custom soundtrack works really well for GTA 3. I've yet to play Vice City, but I don't have any 80's music so it would probably ruin the atmosphere. What I'd like to see for the San Andreas (I'm sure it'll come to Xbox eventually) is that after a custom song plays, the game inserts a commerical so it really feels like you're listening to a radio station.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I love the hard drive. Memory cards suck butt.

And having custom soundtracks rules, mostly for racing games.

I'm sure when I get around to modding I'll enjoy it all the more.

shpankey

not an idiot
By far and away it's the hard drive for me. It brings so much to the table: streaming levels, saves, custom soundtracks, replays, faster loading. It is hands down the single greatest improvement for a console since analog sticks.

shpankey

not an idiot
The Faceless Master said:
FUCK EA

if only they had custom soundtracks instead of their shitty selection... especially the garbage in fight night...

In a lot of EA games there is custom soundtracks. Just not all of them (Fight Night). I assume most if not all of this years games from EA will fully support the feature.

shpankey said:
In a lot of EA games there is custom soundtracks. Just not all of them (Fight Night). I assume most if not all of this years games from EA will fully support the feature.
yeah, there's street, where the custom soundtrack plays in the menu... totally awesome...

FightyF

Banned
I agree about CS being the best feature.

What's more exciting is how ESPN NHL 2005 will be using the soundtrack feature. Should have been done with Xbox sports games since the Xbox came out...ah well, better late than never!

Fusebox

Banned
I agree with Fight Night being in desperate need of custom soundtracks - I cant stand that gangsta rap garbage, what about some inspirational stadium rock ala Rocky?

Top Bottom