• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My finger is turning black and blue from a sports injury today... advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

I was playing goalie in soccer today and the ball hit one of my fingers pretty hard. It's been hurting for the past 6 hours or so, and I assume it's sprained, but now it's turning black and blue as well. Is this normal in terms of it being sprained, or is this more serious? What do I do, other than trying to rest it?

Xeke

Banned
goodcow said:
I was playing goalie in soccer today and the ball hit one of my fingers pretty hard. It's been hurting for the past 6 hours or so, and I assume it's sprained, but now it's turning black and blue as well. Is this normal in terms of it being sprained, or is this more serious? What do I do, other than trying to rest it?

Chances are a doctor wont really do much more than you can do yourself for a broken finger.

goodcow

Xeke said:
Chances are a doctor wont really do much more than you can do yourself for a broken finger.

It's not broken though, or else I wouldn't be able to move it, right? It's just sprained?

goodcow said:
It's not broken though, or else I wouldn't be able to move it, right? It's just sprained?

not always true, however just splint it and it'll be fine in a few days

edit
and dont forget the ice!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
I had a fractured bone injury & the all damn doctor gave me was a fucking bandage.

Scanned for the injury, confirmed it & literally told me if I wanted a bandage.
He also gave me some pills for pain that I didn't even touch.

Just splint it & wrap it. If it gets worse in a day or two, only then go to a doctor.

White Man

goodcow said:

Whatever you do, don't take cipro if the doctor prescribes it. That's how people get AIDS.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I want you to answer a very simple question.

In matters of medicine, who do you think would be better to check with? GAF, or a doctor?

And yes, you most certainly can move a broken bone. A broken bone doesn't necessarily mess with joints.

way more

Rewrite said:
Go to the hospital NOW.

More like wait till Monday to schedule an appointment with your doctor. NOW.

If it's swelling put ice on it and maybe make a little homemade splint. Don't be afraid to take pain killers and avoid using the hand

FightyF

Banned
Might as well head to the hospital since it's the weekend. You'll have to wait, but you can get an X-ray to take a closer look. A friend of mine hurt his hand and it swelled up pretty bad, he went to the doctor the next morning to get an x-ray slip, and it turned out he broke is hand and is having surgery this weekend on it.

YagizY

Ok don't mean to sound like a dick but.....

1. Can you move it?

2. Is their any numbness or tingling in it?

If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second don't bother going to a doctor because he will just tell you to ice it and take ibuprofen. He might give you one of those splints that you can buy at CVS for 10 bucks just to immobilize it while it heals.

I work at an ER as a nurse and I see everything like minor stuff like this to people that just had heart attacks. Whenever someone has something small like a dry throat or a sprained finger they come in and I kind of feel bad for them because I know whats going to happen after they wait an hour in the waiting room, the doc's just gonna tell them to take ibuprofen or Tylenol or something.

Now when you say black and blue do you mean like bruising or like the actual color "black." Because if your thumb is LITERALLY turning black I would worry, but if it just looks badly bruised you'll be ok. Bruising is pretty common with sprained fingers, I've sprained almost all the fingers on both my hands at different times (I play basketball a lot) and I've had them bruise up on me before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom