• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first 10 minutes with a PS5 were awesome! If only there were more...

nowhat

So I preordered a PS5 on reveal - well, the next morning, I thought I'd sleep on it. But who am I kidding, did so the first thing next morning. From a very major retailer here in Finland, who I've supported a lot in the past - they've been good to me and known to get decent shipments so why not. I am within the first bunch I thought, so should get mine at least by the end of 2020, right? Well, it turns out I'd have to have preordered waaaay before from then, when no official price was set. It was 999€ initially, the difference would be returned to you on delivery - I gave that one a pass, but many didn't. So the first shipment came. And the next. And my PS5 is nowhere to be seen. But finally, last week I get an email that yes, my console will be shipped. Picked it up today.

And initially, all is good. Setup is easy (logging in by scanning a QR code with the PS app was neat) and initial impressions are great. So I buy a few titles I've been meaning to get into (Miles Morales and The Pathless) and also put Ghost of Tsushima in the download list, just started a NG+ and while the game was great on a Pro, 60fps surely doesn't hurt. Satisfied with my progress so far, I put the console to rest mode and go meet a friend for a while. While visiting him I get a notification on the PS app that MM has completed downloading - oh, this is neat again! Great new features!

...but then. I should receive more notifications for completed downloads, right? Oh well, perhaps it's a glitch with the app, no worries. After about two hours I return home. Pick up the controller, but huh, the console doesn't start. Let's try the power button.

And the console does power up, of sorts - it keeps just blinking the blue leds ever so slowly. But does nothing else. Google to the rescue! So I'm to put the console into safe mode - welp, no, it refuses to do that. No consecutive beeps. The only thing it does is blink those blue leds. Try different cables - these were the ones this came with, but ok then, still no. Different HDMI input or power source, nope. Try reversing the cables - we're getting into gold plated optical cables territory here, but sure why not, and still nothing. Keep the power cord unplugged for 20 minutes and then try to boot into safe mode - yeah, no such luck.

So I'm left with a rather weighty example of controversial industrial design and not much else. Works as a paperweight I guess. Just trying to sort out with the retailer who will I send this to. But lest I sound too critical of the console - it undoubtedly is the most silent one I've ever owned, so kudos to Sony in that regard.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
sounds like what happened with my launch Series X, I had to wait a couple of weeks for Microsoft to get it & send a replacement

Kuranghi

So I preordered a PS5 on reveal - well, the next morning, I thought I'd sleep on it. But who am I kidding, did so the first thing next morning. From a very major retailer here in Finland, who I've supported a lot in the past - they've been good to me and known to get decent shipments so why not. I am within the first bunch I thought, so should get mine at least by the end of 2020, right? Well, it turns out I'd have to have preordered waaaay before from then, when no official price was set. It was 999€ initially, the difference would be returned to you on delivery - I gave that one a pass, but many didn't. So the first shipment came. And the next. And my PS5 is nowhere to be seen. But finally, last week I get an email that yes, my console will be shipped. Picked it up today.

And initially, all is good. Setup is easy (logging in by scanning a QR code with the PS app was neat) and initial impressions are great. So I buy a few titles I've been meaning to get into (Miles Morales and The Pathless) and also put Ghost of Tsushima in the download list, just started a NG+ and while the game was great on a Pro, 60fps surely doesn't hurt. Satisfied with my progress so far, I put the console to rest mode and go meet a friend for a while. While visiting him I get a notification on the PS app that MM has completed downloading - oh, this is neat again! Great new features!

...but then. I should receive more notifications for completed downloads, right? Oh well, perhaps it's a glitch with the app, no worries. After about two hours I return home. Pick up the controller, but huh, the console doesn't start. Let's try the power button.

And the console does power up, of sorts - it keeps just blinking the blue leds ever so slowly. But does nothing else. Google to the rescue! So I'm to put the console into safe mode - welp, no, it refuses to do that. No consecutive beeps. The only thing it does is blink those blue leds. Try different cables - these were the ones this came with, but ok then, still no. Different HDMI input or power source, nope. Try reversing the cables - we're getting into gold plated optical cables territory here, but sure why not, and still nothing. Keep the power cord unplugged for 20 minutes and then try to boot into safe mode - yeah, no such luck.

So I'm left with a rather weighty example of controversial industrial design and not much else. Works as a paperweight I guess. Just trying to sort out with the retailer who will I send this to. But lest I sound too critical of the console - it undoubtedly is the most silent one I've ever owned, so kudos to Sony in that regard.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but maybe this will make you laugh/cry:

I knew a total POS salesman who used to say "You need gold connectors because it reflects the light better than black plastic", what an absolute goon gumpa.

nowhat

Sorry I don't have any advice, but maybe this will make you laugh/cry:

I knew a total POS salesman who used to say "You need gold connectors because it reflects the light better than black plastic", what an absolute goon gumpa.
That actually did make me laugh, thanks :)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My condolences man. Good luck trying to fix it, hope you start gaming on it soon.

nowhat

OP, I guess you tried this?

Been there, done that. I don't get a second beep holding down the power button after seven seconds that would get me into safe mode. I get a second beep after about 15 seconds or so, which then turns off the console.

N30RYU

I guess you already tried this... just asking... have you tried to release the power button after 7~8 seconds even if no second beep is heard, right? before the 15s beep turns it off.

or even try to turn on the console from the dualsense plugged (holding it too 7seconds) instead of the console power button...

I don't know... I hope you get it solved/replaced asap

Last edited:

kyussman

That really fuckin' sucks mate.Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Part of me wants a PS5 as soon as they become available(I'm in the UK)....and part of me is happy to wait a while longer because of possible tech issues that you often get with launch window units.

nowhat

I guess you already tried this... just asking... have you tried to release the power button after 7~8 seconds even if no second beep is heard, right? before the 15s beep turns it off.

or even try to turn on the console from the dualsense plugged (holding it too 7seconds) instead of the console power button...

I don't know... I hope you get it solved/replaced asap
Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately they didn't help. As to the first one, what happens is just it gets into that "limbo" (as in, flashing those blue leds). And whenever you hold down the power button again, it turns itself off (after a while).

Trying to turn on the console from a DualSense plugged in did create a new "feature" though. It wakes up the console, but not much else (stuck in that limbo). But after that, when you try to turn off the console by holding the power button, the controller and console are clearly somehow connected. So first you see the controller turning off (even with the cord disconnected). And then the console. But then the controller somehow wakes up, and it wakes up the console too to that limbo. Doesn't help much, but at least it does something different.

I think I'm just hosed with this one. And shit does happen with first gen hardware (well, hardware in general), and if something is faulty it's likely to break sooner than later. I've just not had this shit happen to me before, but I guess I was due at some point.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

Yikes. Pretty much the worst time for a console to straight up fail like that. And pretty much the worst console it could happen to.

The only console that ever died on me was my 360 to a Ring of Death. I was lucky, by then it was an acknowledged issue an MS got me a replacement within less than 2 weeks. Still felt like an eternity to me then.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Console failures right away are rare, but do happen. Had the same issue with my first PS5.....picked it up in mid Dec, and during the setup process it was artifacting like crazy, clearly had a bad gpu. I was very sad but i took it back to the Best Buy i picked it up from (from my online order), and luckily they had another new one to exchange mine out so i didn't have to wait at all. The replacement one has performed flawlessly, and is dead silent even after several hrs of play.

bitbydeath

My first 10 minutes were awesome! If only there were more...​

the office thats GIF

drotahorror

Got my ps5 in December. I had been hearing since launch to not put it in rest mode and not to use an external hard drive. So I haven't, everything good so far. The system boots up very fast and so do games. PS5 games have some sort of quick resume feature where you can resume your game close to where achievements can be done,and that skips everything and throws you back in game pretty quick.

Is rest mode the cause of OP issues?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Astrobot and Demons Souls !!!!!!!!!!
I know that astro is 3 hour game but I played it for like 10 hours already lol. so good

Happens. And prob sucks the hype out of you big time. Lucky that I've never had that problem around launch (despite owning defective units - but usually outside the warranty period). I guess you just gotta not think about it until you get a replacement.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
My DualSense is fucked and I've had to arrange for it to be sent back to Sony for repair/replacement. Seems to me they weren't good with the quality control this launch as they should have been.

Sucks to get a faulty one mate, at least you're having a bit of a laugh about it. You'll be back to gaming on your a replacement PS5 soon.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I hope you also contacted Sony. They should be able to get you a replacement quicker than a retailer. Heck many retailers will tell you all they can do is give you a refund unless they have one in stock, which they don't.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
it undoubtedly is the most silent one I've ever owned, so kudos to Sony in that regard.

Of course it silent when it doesn't start up what would you expect.

Jokes aside, the downside of being early adopter beta tester.

Feel sorry for you OP.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Damn dude that sucks. I hope it gets resolved in a few weeks. Still hoping for a lucky break on getting one myself.

Mr Moose

Unplug any USB devices and the power cable, stroke the left side panel while whispering "please baby, work for me", plug the power cable back in and press the power button.
If that doesn't work get in contact with Sony for a replacement (or the store you got it from if that is quicker).

nowhat

So I thought I'd give a little update. I emailed my vendor (usually repairs under warranty are done via the retailer here) and their email response was basically (freely translated):

Sorry to hear you've had a fault, have you contacted PS support directly, they may have a solution to this situation :)
Now, it's that smiley that gets me. At the time I placed my preorder, the page didn't mention anything about supply issues. About a couple of hours afterwards, it did (saying basically, we have no idea when your console will ship). Having learned that fact, and already paid for my preorder, I may have sent a single, somewhat sternly-worded email to customer support...

...but conspiracy theories aside, Sony customer support it is. I click through a series of questions online, to reach a point where there is a number to dial, and a code to use with the call, so I all I've been troubleshooting thus far wouldn't have been in vain. On to the call.

So first there's the general male voice telling me "welcome to Playstation support, we want to make your games awesome yaddayadda". And then also a completely different female voice saying "we have no idea about PS5 shipments, contact your retailer". That part made me laugh out loud a bit. For the first time.

For you see, the lines are busy. And there's this single track of upbeat music that keeps repeating, and that wonderful musical experience is interrupted ever so often with announcements like "have you tried troubleshooting your issues online?", "if you're looking for a PSVR adapter, use this address!" and this is my absolute favourite "did you know you can play almost all of your PS4 games on a PS5?".

So the first time I had been on queue, my bad - I fumbled with the phone and disconnected myself, after about five minutes. Second attempt, about ten minutes in, the phone actually rang somewhere for a bit - and then disconnects. Third attempt, about 15 minutes, I'm actually able to reach a customer service agent. So I describe how I'm not able to get into safe mode and that's basically it. He quickly makes a new support ticket for me, suggests still trying a different power outlet (which I did, yet no avail), then tells me shipping instructions for a repair will be in the email soon, after having taken my contact information (on a completely unrelated note, who of us has a PSN id that exactly isn't professional and wouldn't want to utter out?).

But after that, I get shipping/packaging instructions and a PDF to print out/to tape in front of the box (only console required to be sent), thus far this hasn't cost me anything else than emotional distress. Which I may still sue for at some point.

cireza

Banned
That's a pretty poor experience. Reminds me of when I got my 360. Out of the box the console had graphical issues and I had to have it replaced.

Best of luck.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So I thought I'd give a little update. I emailed my vendor (usually repairs under warranty are done via the retailer here) and their email response was basically (freely translated):

Now, it's that smiley that gets me. At the time I placed my preorder, the page didn't mention anything about supply issues. About a couple of hours afterwards, it did (saying basically, we have no idea when your console will ship). Having learned that fact, and already paid for my preorder, I may have sent a single, somewhat sternly-worded email to customer support...

...but conspiracy theories aside, Sony customer support it is. I click through a series of questions online, to reach a point where there is a number to dial, and a code to use with the call, so I all I've been troubleshooting thus far wouldn't have been in vain. On to the call.

So first there's the general male voice telling me "welcome to Playstation support, we want to make your games awesome yaddayadda". And then also a completely different female voice saying "we have no idea about PS5 shipments, contact your retailer". That part made me laugh out loud a bit. For the first time.

For you see, the lines are busy. And there's this single track of upbeat music that keeps repeating, and that wonderful musical experience is interrupted ever so often with announcements like "have you tried troubleshooting your issues online?", "if you're looking for a PSVR adapter, use this address!" and this is my absolute favourite "did you know you can play almost all of your PS4 games on a PS5?".

So the first time I had been on queue, my bad - I fumbled with the phone and disconnected myself, after about five minutes. Second attempt, about ten minutes in, the phone actually rang somewhere for a bit - and then disconnects. Third attempt, about 15 minutes, I'm actually able to reach a customer service agent. So I describe how I'm not able to get into safe mode and that's basically it. He quickly makes a new support ticket for me, suggests still trying a different power outlet (which I did, yet no avail), then tells me shipping instructions for a repair will be in the email soon, after having taken my contact information (on a completely unrelated note, who of us has a PSN id that exactly isn't professional and wouldn't want to utter out?).

But after that, I get shipping/packaging instructions and a PDF to print out/to tape in front of the box (only console required to be sent), thus far this hasn't cost me anything else than emotional distress. Which I may still sue for at some point.
Good thing you got it sorted. Looks like you wasted an hour of your life getting support but they are taking care of you.

I found Sony to be good when it comes to support. I sold a pre-ordered PS4 to someone who was in the US on Holiday. I basically just charged him what I paid in Amazon gift card, applied the card and had Amazon ship it directly to his Hotel. The unit was bad, and returning it wasn't an option. He was able to find a Sony store in San Diego and they were able to pull in a new unit for him prior to him going back to Brazil. They know a small percentage of bad units escape QC and try to make sure they make their customers whole ASAP.

You can kind of tell a good company from a bad one with how they handle warranty replacements on the more expensive stuff. Some GPU manufacturers for example will not give you warranty support if you bought a card from an unofficial seller; scalped new cards, cards sold by mom and pop PC stores or smaller suppliers online, or a prebuilt. I understand that their longer warranties need some scrutiny but if someone was lucky enough to score a 3080 from one of those small online sites that sell a few here and there for a slight markup then why are you turning them away if they get a dud that you failed to screen in your quality assurance process? Because you suck as a company and prioritize protecting yourself against a tiny theoretical "loss" of someone trying to get 3 year warranty coverage on a card they bought used instead of standing by your product.

Sony is good, though clearly their phone system sucks. Samsung tries to be good but their system sucks and their 15day return policy on a bad unit is kind of shit. ASRock has been good, so I chose them again because of it. Gigabyte is basically run by weasels who would rather find a way to stick you with a dead product than to support it, but they were good in the past. Intel sucks and will take several weeks to get you a working CPU. I have an i5 with a dead iGPU in my non gaming HTPC. Their support was so shitty I had to buy an old GPU and take the loss.

Top Bottom