• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy is very proud that Nintendo games do not drop in price & often shits on AAA games saying how fast their price drops

Clarissa

Banned
Sometimes he even buys 2 copies of a single game on the switch at full price because a physical copy leaked early but he already pre-ordered the digital version. The thing I want to know is, why would anyone shit on AAA games getting cheap or having a sale? Isn't games getting cheaper a good thing since it's more accessible to people. I'd be so happy if some of the games I want get a discount.

And why would anyone be proud to pay full price for their games? He is so proud that Nintendo games never drop in price. And he often shits on AAA games except for Nintendo games. saying that they all play the same way (He's referring to Playstation exclusives because he hates Sony.) The name that I blocked in red is the Nintendo fanboy. He also often tells people to not buy Playstation exclusives and wait till they are $10 and that Playstation exclusives all play the same way and only lasts for 5 hours. Today he's shitting on AAA games calling them "no value".

iwcq737.png

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not saying he's right or wrong, but he has his right to have his opinion no matter how weird it seem, and I'd say you are a bad friend for posting his opinions here. Even though he remains anonymous, he is not able to answer back probably.

Could easily have made this thread without dragging your friend into it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Idk. It’s kind of dumb to act like that. Pride in a corporation that isn’t aware of your existence is skeevy.

That said, he gets at something interesting. Why do AAA game prices collapse so fast? It’s fantastic for us, I’m not complaining about grabbing months-old games at a bargain, but you’d think it’d be a very negative thing for the publisher, and would be avoided where possible.

Is it down to quality, between this and the Nintendo games? Or just a different kind of market?

Last edited:

DonF

People who are glad they pay more for something are simply dumb. This isnt like a coat or some physical good that could be better/have better materials cause its more expensive. Games are the exact same in every platform, hell, there are objective measurements that point that most ports on switch are worse, yet the price is higher there.

Nintendo fanboys are something else. They just love to throw cash at nintendo.

aerts1js

Idk. It’s kind of dumb to act like that. Pride in a corporation that isn’t aware of your existence is skeevy.

That said, he gets at something interesting. Why do AAA game prices collapse so fast? It’s fantastic for us, I’m not complaining about grabbing months-old games at a bargain, but you’d think it’d be a very negative thing for the publisher, and would be avoided where possible.

Is it down to quality, between this and the Nintendo games? Or just a different kind of market?
I think it’s a different kind of market. The vast majority of new games are very front loaded in terms of sales. Beyond 6-12 months the publisher isn’t likely to sell a whole lot of new units resulting in the slash in prices. Additionally I think a lot of games make money via in game purchases, dlc, etc so selling a copy cheap can open up more other avenues of profit later.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Not saying he's right or wrong, but he has his right to have his opinion no matter how weird it seem, and I'd say you are a bad friend for posting his opinions here. Even though he remains anonymous, he is not able to answer back probably.

He has answered me back multiple times saying how great value Nintendo games are and that playstation games all play the same way and are shit and only worth $10.

I have also posted multiple comments about my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony but showing a screenshot and hiding names is just to show that I'm not making things up. I don't get how that makes me a bad person lol.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with your friend in a certain way. It is always annoying if you buy a new game and then a few weeks later it is half off. I like Nintendo because if it looks good I'll buy it right away and be happy it won't be going down in price and also I can resell it when I'm done and get a decent amount back for it. Whereas if I buy a new game from another publisher at full price then it bombs and a few weeks later it is half off I can't get a decent price for it. Anything I buy on other consoles I wait for a significant price drop on because why spend $80 Canadian when I can get it for $30 a couple months down the road?

It is bullshit the games can still be full price 3+ years later.

It's just the market.
The AAA market is an highly competitive, crowded space where companies compete against each other in an highly aggressive way.

Nintendo have their market, their consumer base, so your friend is just comparing apples to oranges.
When Nintendo release a new Zelda game it will not have much competion on their platform.
A new AAA on PS/XB/PC needs to make bank fast, before another big title hits the market a month or two later. TLou2 needs to sell fast, there's a Ghost of Tsushima ready to be shipped, and after that Avengers and Cyberpunk are also coming, and then beware of the holiday big hitters like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and company. Microsoft has a new Halo too joining the race. And of course there are plenty of titles between all these.

Good luck selling only at full price against a constant stream of new releases. Competition makes prices go down and that's is inevitable in an healthy, competitive market.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

Maturity point is the term, iirc.

I forgot all the specific business lingo, but I'd reckon it boils down to most companies figuring they'd sold all they could at price X, so they lower said product to price Y, then to price Z.

They want to sell as many copies as possible, but also want to maximize profits. They can make more money selling more units at a lower price than selling less copies with a higher return on investment.

People who are patient enough to wait often get amazing games for a fraction of the introduction price eventually. Why anyone would be opposed to this is beyond me.

Nintendo fans play Nintendo games. I'd assume that's why they're able to skirt around the typical practice from a software prospective. Anyone who adopts that as a personal point of pride is delusional unless they work for Nintendo.

I'm pround to help someone and make life better... not to pay full price again for a repack (not remaster or remake) Mario WiiU mostly no one wanted at 1st.

Is there a sequel to that, OP? Pleazzzz

Oh and please yourself, OP. Tetris Effect is the best game this gen and by far.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Sometimes he even buys 2 copies of a single game on the switch at full price because a physical copy leaked early but he already pre-ordered the digital version. The thing I want to know is, why would anyone shit on AAA games getting cheap or having a sale? Isn't games getting cheaper a good thing since it's more accessible to people. I'd be so happy if some of the games I want get a discount.

And why would anyone be proud to pay full price for their games? He is so proud that Nintendo games never drop in price. And he often shits on AAA games except for Nintendo games. saying that they all play the same way (He's referring to Playstation exclusives because he hates Sony.) The name that I blocked in red is the Nintendo fanboy. He also often tells people to not buy Playstation exclusives and wait till they are $10 and that Playstation exclusives all play the same way and only lasts for 5 hours. Today he's shitting on AAA games calling them "no value".

iwcq737.png
*Translation*
Basically you think it's good that the aaa game you paid £50 for is worth £5 used on eBay 6 months later.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Maturity point is the term, iirc.

I forgot all the specific business lingo, but I'd reckon it boils down to most companies figuring they'd sold all they could at price X, so they lower said product to price Y, then to price Z.

They want to sell as many copies as possible, but also want to maximize profits. They can make more money selling more units at a lower price than selling less copies with a higher return on investment.

People who are patient enough to wait often get amazing games for a fraction of the introduction price eventually. Why anyone would be opposed to this is beyond me.

Nintendo fans play Nintendo games. I'd assume that's why they're able to skirt around the typical practice from a software prospective. Anyone who adopts that as a personal point of pride is delusional unless they work for Nintendo.

Thanks, Big Tuna.

Fbh

Lol at feeling proud of paying more for games.

As for the Nintendo approach, it has ups and downs. If you don't mind not owning a lot of games you can basically pick up a couple of them at launch and then play every new release for the entire gen spending little to no extra money. Since Nintendo games rarely drop in price you can buy them used, resell them for the same price you paid and move on to the next one.

I've played most big Switch released and I think the last time I actually paid Nintendo money for a big release was with Mario Odyssey.

On the downside you do only ever own a couple of games doing what I do and if you want to have any sort of collection you need to get ready to spend a small fortune..So I'm just overall less attached to their systems and franchises.
It also makes digital ownership even less appealing than on other systems. If Nintendo ever goes all Digital I'm done with them

Last edited:
- Buy a Nintendo game for $80
- Play/complete Nintendo game
- Sell Nintendo game for $60 a month or two after release

There's your $20 Nintendo game.
you won't be selling that to gamestop for 60, lol. i don't have a car, but i wish i did so i could ship packages using ebay.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It's weird PlayStation and Xbox fanboys usually hate each other, but both usually like Nintendo.

Nintendo fanboys hate everyone equally.

Clarissa

Banned
Why are you trying to drag your friend? Is he a gaf member? Are you trying to embarrass him or something?

So what, he buys Nintendo games at full price and he waits for Sony games to drop in price. Whoop dee fucking doo. Everyone buys Nintendo games at full price if you go retail
No. Just trying to figure out why a person would be proud that Nintendo games never drop in price and shit on AAA games on the PlayStation.

I can tell who are the diehard Nintendo fans here just by reading replies.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
The only thing that pisses me off is Nintendo releasing old ports at full price. Apart from that, I respect Nintendo for not dropping the price as their value their developers and their IP much more.

I already owned Mario Kart 8 on Wii U... had to get it via a scalper for 50 CDN.

Your friend sounds insufferable, but at least he’s honest. Posting your conversations with him on a forum to feed your opinion? Now that’s pretty shitty. Are you sure you two are “friends”?

Arachnid

This was my first thought. Yeah, it's sad for your friend to be shilling for a company ripping him off.

It's even more sad to make this thread ripping on him over a private conversation. You're not much of a friend.

Saber

Gold Member
If people like to buy crap with their moneys, who am I to stop? But it's not like I care about them anyway.

I usually avoid pay high prices at game, not because I'm a cheapstake but because I care for my money. And it's not like I never payed a good hunch of money on a game, because I also recognise when a game is well made. So in those cases I don't mind paying that price.

But it's not like I'm stupid and keep licking boot of games/companies. I'm loyal to no fucking one. If they do something I don't like, bad practices or abusive prices I simply holds my money for something better. I don't even remember the last EA game I bought(I think its was Sims 2). When I stop supporting a game/company, I do it for good.

Living and getting older makes you realize that. If people are still old and act like that is because they choose to be stupid and are mentally immature.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
These are the people who are happy at the expense of others.

It’s his money so he/she can do whatever he wants but to be happy about it being expensive is just masochism.

Stuart360

I cant tell is this is some kind of stealth dissing of Playstation games or what.
Anyway your 'friend' sounds just a bit bitter more than anything, and a big Nintendo fanboy, and we all know how thye like to take Nintendo's ridiculous pricing right up the arse.
Most sales for a game come in the first 1 or 2 months (unless its a stupid situation like GTAV or Skyrim, etc), and publisher will then reduce a games price when sales start slowing, or do regular sales. Nintendo like to go the other way of keeping games at full price, but selling less copies. Basically the anticonsumer way about it.

Aion002

He is a twelve years old.... right?

Trolling over the internet is a thing.. But... if he talks like that with a friend and he is older.... Damnnnnnnnn... He needs help.

Last edited:
your post and what hes saying read like two different things, From the post what im inferring is that if AAA games are going to drop price to $30 or lower in like two week time then the games initial asking price $60 was to much.
And why would anyone be proud to pay full price for their games? He is so proud that Nintendo games never drop in price.
if he buys hes games at launch and they still hold there value he now can recoup his $60 no problem or at best loose like $10 but if it was an AAA game from any other company your game is already worth $20 less in two weeks time.
And he often shits on AAA games except for Nintendo games. saying that they all play the same way (He's referring to Playstation exclusives because he hates Sony.)
Hes free to feel however he wants he more than likely is a pure gameplay type gamer. Nintendo still makes those type of games
He also often tells people to not buy Playstation exclusives and wait till they are $10 and that Playstation exclusives all play the same way and only lasts for 5 hours. Today he's shitting on AAA games calling them "no value".
most AAA games have no value especially when the DLC cost almost as much as the game itself R6 siege cough cough.

Neil Young

Well, many people live in that weird world where they have to convince themselves that Nintendo is infallible. Shit, I remember the "most people don't even HAVE hd TVs argument" when the Wii came out. "Achievements suck!" "Friend codes protect the children".

I'm guilty of it as well. I actually convinced myself for a good while that Breath of the Wild WASN'T a complete piece of garbage. Then I played Assassins Creed Odyssey and thought "Hmmmm, I can do everything in this game that I can do in BOTW but it's actually fun and there's cool shit to see with voice acting, no weapons breaking......" But most importantly, I got the complete edition for 20 bucks.

Top Bottom