• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy is very proud that Nintendo games do not drop in price & often shits on AAA games saying how fast their price drops

MagnesG

Banned
Because they can potentially still make some money from the good amounts of microtransactions they have.

And AAA games like AssCreed are like the fast clothing line release, only a new fresh coat of paint that will automatically be out of style come the next season. Means not much profit.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend also said that Nintendo invented open world games with botw I shit you not but I'll be this scum of the earth if I show a screenshot.

He also pays full price for games released on the switch that have been released years ago on other platforms. Example $8 on steam but $49 on switch but he'll use being able to play portable as an excuse.

But his time played for these games are 2 hours and then he doesn't touch them anymore.

I guess I support this because Nintendo has a very night hit rate on their top franchises. And they don’t do the yearly update for $60 like many top series. Part of the reason Assassin’s Creed or COD drops in price is because every year there’s a new one.

And also I just like their games. So I’ll pay the money for them. It’s not a big deal to me.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I cant tell is this is some kind of stealth dissing of Playstation games or what.
Anyway your 'friend' sounds just a bit bitter more than anything, and a big Nintendo fanboy, and we all know how thye like to take Nintendo's ridiculous pricing right up the arse.
Most sales for a game come in the first 1 or 2 months (unless its a stupid situation like GTAV or Skyrim, etc), and publisher will then reduce a games price when sales start slowing, or do regular sales. Nintendo like to go the other way of keeping games at full price, but selling less copies. Basically the anticonsumer way about it.
It has nothing to do with being anti-consumer or not. Nintendo prices their game-high because consumers see them as a premium product.
Well, many people live in that weird world where they have to convince themselves that Nintendo is infallible. Shit, I remember the "most people don't even HAVE hd TVs argument" when the Wii came out. "Achievements suck!" "Friend codes protect the children".

I'm guilty of it as well. I actually convinced myself for a good while that Breath of the Wild WASN'T a complete piece of garbage. Then I played Assassins Creed Odyssey and thought "Hmmmm, I can do everything in this game that I can do in BOTW but it's actually fun and there's cool shit to see with voice acting, no weapons breaking......" But most importantly, I got the complete edition for 20 bucks.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Case in point

oagboghi2

My friend also said that Nintendo invented open world games with botw I shit you not but I'll be this scum of the earth if I show a screenshot.

He also pays full price for games released on the switch that have been released years ago on other platforms. Example $8 on steam but $49 on switch but he'll use being able to play portable as an excuse.

But his time played for these games are 2 hours and then he doesn't touch them anymore.
Why are you so obsessed? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
SlowImpossibleBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

oagboghi2

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy and Sony hater is laughing at Sony for introducing a 2010 tech as its main feature (ssd).

I have some friends who are Nintendo fanboys and my messages are filled with hundreds of messages daily about the prices of turnips, how great Nintendo is and how much they want Sony to die.

Do Nintendo or Xbox fanboys hate Sony more?

I have a friend who is a massive Nintendo fanboy and he has a deep hatred for Sony. Disses it whenever he gets the chance and promotes/praises Xbox all the time. He wanted so bad for Stadia to succeed so that Sony would be wiped out.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Over here at gaf, I find that Xbox fans hate Sony more. The only Nintendo fan I find that disses Sony all the time here is that Lionel Ritchie guy.

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy wants Naughty Dog to fail so badly. He keeps telling me about how shit the ending is and how disappointed I'll be when I finally play the game because he's seen the leaks.

Nintendo fans due to their evangelisation of the switch and port begging. They remind me of that overexcitable dog that runs up to peoples' legs and humps them (evangelisation of Nintendo and the switch) and when you're eating your dinner and they are staring at you with that puppy eyes

My friend who is a hardcore Nintendo fanboy agrees with you. He says this is probably fake news and Nintendo will kick Sony's ass and Sony has to sell buildings to stay alive.

My friend wishes Nintendo and Nintendo games happy birthday on social medie every year. I don't know if he buys a cake
Okay seriously OP, is this "friend" real?

Last edited:

Belmonte

Plot twist: the dude doesn't even like videogames but he has a lot of Nintendo stocks and is happy its games sells well, even without price drops.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Aren't you the one who was complaining about how your friends pirated games on a thread? lol
Yup. It's the Nintendo fanboy that says that games have no value do they should be pirated. Only Nintendo games and games that appear on the switch are worth buying.

Clarissa

Banned
I'm not obsessed. I want an outsiders view on this strange phenomenon. And because my friend talks about Nintendo from the time he wakes up till his bed time so my social media and text messages are filled with hundreds of pictures of Nintendo and how great Nintendo is on a daily basis.

Ribi

Yea sound alike a Nintendo fanboi. These the people that Nintendo's backwards ass hopes keep buying thier shit

Clarissa

Banned
Plot twist: the dude doesn't even like videogames but he has a lot of Nintendo stocks and is happy its games sells well, even without price drops.

He is a gamer but he considers only Nintendo games as real games. He does constantly post about Nintendo profits. And when he links videogame trailers, he only links the ones that say it's on Switch making everyone think that the game is a Switch exclusive even though it's Multiplatform. Whenever I post a videogame trailer, I'd make sure to choose the trailer that shows every platform the game is appearing on.

He's made many people in our group buy the switch version because they think the game trailer he posts is a switch exclusive.

What I hate is him constantly shitting on PlayStation games. He just has an immense hatred for Sony.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Your "friend" seems pretty weird, but are you disagreeing with him in Nintendo's attitude of never doing any price drops? Because why should they if the games continue to sell well at full price?

Btw, this thread feels like Deja Vu. Does he have kids and dress them up in Nintendo attire?

It's weird PlayStation and Xbox fanboys usually hate each other, but both usually like Nintendo.
This ain't true at all, lol. Look at the thread for when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive here. Also, Gametrailers forums was a war zone of fanboyism and immense hate for Nintendo.

Idk. It’s kind of dumb to act like that. Pride in a corporation that isn’t aware of your existence is skeevy.

That said, he gets at something interesting. Why do AAA game prices collapse so fast? It’s fantastic for us, I’m not complaining about grabbing months-old games at a bargain, but you’d think it’d be a very negative thing for the publisher, and would be avoided where possible.

Is it down to quality, between this and the Nintendo games? Or just a different kind of market?

AAA game prices drop so fast because they have already met and or exceeded their sales projections. Now is just a matter of meeting certain goal posts, so that they can market themselves and their studios as having that 15 million + sales on a particular title.

Clarissa

Banned
Your "friend" seems pretty weird, but are you disagreeing with him in Nintendo's attitude of never doing any price drops? Because why should they if the games continue to sell well at full price?

Btw, this thread feels like Deja Vu. Does he have kids and dress them up in Nintendo attire?

This ain't true at all, lol. Look at the thread for when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive here. Also, Gametrailers forums was a war zone of fanboyism and immense hate for Nintendo.

Yes he dresses his kids in Nintendo attire.

ryan13ts

Ah, your friend is one of "those" types of fans. The type of fan that will fervently defend even the most anti-consumer practices that his favorite company makes, even if it negatively impacts him or other consumers, so long as it gives the appearance of them having an 'edge' on the competition somehow through whatever shitty thing they're doing.

At the same time though, they actively make excuses for shortcomings said company has or even imply that whatever failing they have isn't that important overall . That last one is an assumption of course, but they almost always go hand in hand, like reading a checklist of warning sign symptoms of an illness.

There's lots of terms people use to describe the type of fan your friend is, such as loyalists, fanboy, diehard, ect. Though for me, I think the term 'fucking moron' is probably more accurate.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Ah, your friend is one of "those" types of fans. The type of fan that will fervently defend even the most anti-consumer practices that his favorite company makes, even if it negatively impacts him or other consumers, so long as it gives the appearance of them having an 'edge' on the competition somehow through whatever shitty thing they're doing.

At the same time though, they actively make excuses for shortcomings said company has or even imply that whatever failing they have isn't that important overall . That last one is an assumption of course, but they almost always go hand in hand, like reading a checklist of warning sign symptoms of an illness.

There's lots of terms people use to describe the type of fan your friend is, such as loyalists, fanboy, diehard. Though for me, I think the term 'fucking moron' is probably more accurate.

He does get very aggresive and defensive when you say negative things about Nintendo. Like their terrible online or inability to do voice chat on the switch.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Sometimes he even buys 2 copies of a single game on the switch at full price because a physical copy leaked early but he already pre-ordered the digital version. The thing I want to know is, why would anyone shit on AAA games getting cheap or having a sale? Isn't games getting cheaper a good thing since it's more accessible to people. I'd be so happy if some of the games I want get a discount.

And why would anyone be proud to pay full price for their games? He is so proud that Nintendo games never drop in price. And he often shits on AAA games except for Nintendo games. saying that they all play the same way (He's referring to Playstation exclusives because he hates Sony.) The name that I blocked in red is the Nintendo fanboy. He also often tells people to not buy Playstation exclusives and wait till they are $10 and that Playstation exclusives all play the same way and only lasts for 5 hours. Today he's shitting on AAA games calling them "no value".

iwcq737.png
Nintendo knows how to retain value with their products, AAA games have a lot of money backing them but fail to stay at full price leading to less revenue.

Nintendo maintaining full price on their releases insures that when one purchases a Nintendo game you won't feel ripped off later when it goes down to $10. Why purchase a AAA game at or close to launch if it'll be $10 a month later?

oagboghi2

Nintendo knows how to retain value with their products, AAA games have a lot of money backing them but fail to stay at full price leading to less revenue.

Nintendo maintaining full price on their releases insures that when one purchases a Nintendo game you won't feel ripped off later when it goes down to $10. Why purchase a AAA game at or close to launch if it'll be $10 a month later?
There is an actually conversation to be had about Nintendo's pricing, and pricing in general in this industry. I don't think race to the bottom is necessarily a good thing in all situations.

But this clearly isn't the thread for that conversation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You don't get it and likely never will.

They invest a ton of money into the idea of a different and more sustainable corporate culture. It's not perfect, and never will be. But they still employ dozens of 60 year olds who were there at the dawn of gaming. It's a place to work where you don't get laid off. It's a place to work where you prototype gameplay first and IP and cinematics last. It's the main company dedicated to pursuing the advancement of interactive entertainment, and willing to put major money at risk into experiments and innovation. They don't overly exploit DLC. They try to present a wholesome and polished product, with limited patches after launch whenever possible.

And all of this is supported by the fact that they correctly leverage the value of their IP. They don't devalue them in a race to the bottom, which just exacerbates the problems we all see. When you sell you games for $10 and condition people to buy them for that price, then you have to recoup losses with DLC, preorder bullshit and exploitative game design cobbled together with patches for months after launch. Nintendo never does that. People who pay attention value their products and the quality they deliver. You can mock that, but they're the only one standing against the race to the bottom and appealing to our better nature - the part of us that values quality and principle over clickbait and exploitation.

You're not exposing your friend's irrationality, but instead exposing your own.

ryan13ts

He does get very aggresive and defensive when you say negative things about Nintendo. Like theirterrible online or inability to do voice chat on the switch.

Sadly, based on that last bit of info, I have concluded your friend does indeed have 'fucking moron' disease. Don't fret though, It's treatable when caught early! But...it's never caught early, so.... yeah, pretty grim prognosis.

However, If he can follow the treatment plan of taking his head out of his favorite company's ass (In this case, Nintendo), expanding his horizon a bit (through trying more non-Nintendo games), and just toning down the fanboyism overall, there may be hope yet.

No promises though, this disease is aggressive and is almost always terminal.... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I do not think it is a reason to be proud (unless you are Nintendo, I guess), but then again, the small snippet you posted does not indicate pride anyway. The higher price stability of Nintendo games means they retain resale value, so buying Nintendo games is a smaller risk than buying other AAA titles close to launch. Moreover, as a buyer, you can safely buy at launch without having to worry about overpaying just for a month or to of advance play. The disadvantage is, that, if you enjoy the game and want to keep it, you will pretty much have to pay 40-70€ to play it, no matter when.

Now for a positive interpretation that one can come to: The higher price stability of Nintendo games indicates that those games retain their value in the eyes of the customer, so their qualities are perceived as more timeless, because people are actually willing to pay full price years later, which is rarely the case for many other AAA games. It can also point towards a stronger uniqueness factor, because if the market was flooded with games in the same vein as Nintendo titles, the competition would be more fierce and as such a price battle may ensue. Alternatively, if you want to interpret it more negatively, Ninendo may just be very careful about supply and artifically shotening supply of their games in order to keep demand high in comparison to supply.

There are plenty reasons to like or dislike the price stability and to see them as a strength or weakness.

He has answered me back multiple times saying how great value Nintendo games are and that playstation games all play the same way and are shit and only worth $10.

I have also posted multiple comments about my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony but showing a screenshot and hiding names is just to show that I'm not making things up. I don't get how that makes me a bad person lol.
It‘s a breach of trust. No matter how mundane the subject matter is.

He streams Nintendo games and wears a Nintendo t-shirt and puts his Labo and Ring fit around him.

He also makes sure his Nintendo switch is visible in the background whenever he takes pictures of his family or food. I can blur out his picture as evidence and post it here but I'll get accused of being bad person.
Seems he is a real Nintendo fan.
Which is cute and funny in a way, but nothing to shit on.

Question is more if he is a good friend... Because then you should understand and not write this about him...

Aceofspades

Banned
Now every weirdo seems ok in my book as long as he/she doesn't pretend to be a deer all of a sudden.

Yes, I meant that mentally ill "thing" employed by Twitch

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The type of people who buy into the Nintendo Brand bullshit are one of the main reasons I detest the company so much, TBH.

..All they're doing is enabling their abuser.

If I remember correctly, a massive part of why Nintendo games hold their value is down to Nintendo being the only publisher that won't buy back unsold copies, and generally never giving retailers deals or discounts, regardless of how long a title has been out.

Hence why third party exclusives on Nintendo platforms get price reductions as normal, and first praty games will eventually go on clearance at ridiculously cheap prices, either when a game just won't sell or the store needs to clear inventory space.

It clearly works for them, since they've cultivated a stastus quo where their fans expect to pay high prices, but it's nothing to do with quality, just a business decision to sacrifice some sales in a trade off for brand quality perception.

It's the same thing Apple does basically.

Moses85

Is there anything else in his life, he can be proud of or has priority for him?

If not and you are his friend for real, help him.

GymWolf

Yep, all people are proud to pay almost full price for games that are 2-3 years old.

I mean nintendo has to recover from the 1000 yen budget they spend to create most of their games in some way...

GymWolf

He streams Nintendo games and wears a Nintendo t-shirt and puts his Labo and Ring fit around him.

He also makes sure his Nintendo switch is visible in the background whenever he takes pictures of his family or food. I can blur out his picture as evidence and post it here but I'll get accused of being bad person.
Ok now you are just fucking with us...right?!:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Yup. It's the Nintendo fanboy that says that games have no value do they should be pirated. Only Nintendo games and games that appear on the switch are worth buying.
He is a gamer but he considers only Nintendo games as real games. He does constantly post about Nintendo profits. And when he links videogame trailers, he only links the ones that say it's on Switch making everyone think that the game is a Switch exclusive even though it's Multiplatform. Whenever I post a videogame trailer, I'd make sure to choose the trailer that shows every platform the game is appearing on.

He's made many people in our group buy the switch version because they think the game trailer he posts is a switch exclusive.

What I hate is him constantly shitting on PlayStation games. He just has an immense hatred for Sony.
Yes he dresses his kids in Nintendo attire.
He does get very aggresive and defensive when you say negative things about Nintendo. Like theirterrible online or inability to do voice chat on the switch.

With a friend like you he doesn't need no enemies.

If some "friend" talked like this about me I would be sh*ting on his doorstep every other day.

Top Bottom