• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

caliph95

The best part of vigilante is the prequel and backstory stuff since it's focusing on the mha characters who are more interesting than vigilantes

Except for The Stain origin, him being a vigilante and fighting mafia avengers was cool but his switch to hero killer was shit and abrupt and rather forget about it

qijvWYB.jpg

Good colors, but I really wish the manga version of Ochako was closer to the manga version. Anime version tends to look more like manga Ochako's older sister; her eyes aren't big enough and the face isn't as chubby. Looking childlike in the face is kind of necessary to Ochako's design.

DNAbro

Vigilantes 14
I bet this guys is Stain first hero kill.

It felt like the idea for Captain Celebirty’s character was “how can we make the type of hero Stain hates the most.” I’m guessing his power is directly proportional to his popularity, thus all the theatrics.

ionitron

Vigilantes 7-11
This series really has almost nothing going for it. It at least is occasionally funny. Not sure how I feel about the popstep/crawler backstory, but it at least adds some sort of interest to the group. Igenium asking for the card back was cold.

The Stain "origin story" was bad. So bad!

Ouch a spinoff added an origin story to stain?

No thanks. :s

These latest chapters are reinforcing why I feel so disappointed by Illegals as a whole.

There's so much potential for worldbuilding but then all of the characters from the main series are stereotyped parodies of themselves (Endeavor is angry and violent, Eraserhead is sleepy and says "logic," Midnight is a pervert, All Might is irresponsible, Stain is crazy and violent) for a story that's (supposedly) canon, and the original characters are all extremely tropey and cliche, with a bunch half-coasting on being explicit references to Western comics. Don't notice that these are the stock rude-banchou-with-a-heart-of-gold side characters, because uh, we literally drew them as Wolverine and Cyclops.

In the last two chapters we've gotten such fresh and original ideas like "proactive woman is extremely forward with the milquetoast protagonist without actually being romantically interested in him, making tsundere girl over-the-top jealous" and "the American guy is a blond idiot narcissist movie star."

I remember when I first started MHA, the reason I got hooked was when I realized that All Might - despite appearing as the blond American-style loud musclehead - wasn't going to be some stereotypical fraud and coward, but a genuinely kind hearted guy who believed everything he said but happened to be going through a rough patch when Deku met him. Illegals gives me a guy literally named "Captain Celebrity" who is bad because he's a stereotypical celebrity and wears Superman's costume and has Superman's powers.

caliph95

While I agree with you how underwhelming illegals is and the writing (it's probably made by someone Hiroshiki knows to give him a start)

Funny enough the world building and prequel stuff (besides stain because that was horrible) is the most interesting parts though that's partly because it's getting away from the main three heroes who are stock cliches

I think Horikoshi would at least gave given the writer some general ideas for the spinoff, while the writer handles the details and what nots and random charadevelopment issues. I cant imagine the Stain stuff is just fanfic level give backstory type of thing.

DNAbro

I ended up reading through this whole thread as a form of procrastination. Some of y’alls ideas were wild. My fav was “is Mirio actually an asshole?” when he destroyed all of class 1A. Seeing people’s reactions to certain moments was fun.

I ended up reading through this whole thread as a form of procrastination. Some of y’alls ideas were wild. My fav was “is Mirio actually an asshole?” when he destroyed all of class 1A. Seeing people’s reactions to certain moments was fun.

I remember that. I was certainly trying to postulate as to a particular reason why Mirio wasn't suitable to be All Might's successor; some subtle reason he would not be the perfect symbol of peace.

Seemingly, it was just All Might's bias and sympathy towards the kid he just happened to stumble into.

Mirio should've been the main character.

Hey here is Mirio the quirkless vault boy ripoff. Here is 3rd year Deku with this awesome quirk of Permeation and he took out a class full of kids in 20 seconds woooooooooo.

"OMG Deku should've been the main character!" /s

Starting to get real sick of Mirio fans saying the same stuff over and over again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hey here is Mirio the quirkless vault boy ripoff. Here is 3rd year Deku with this awesome quirk of Permeation and he took out a class full of kids in 20 seconds woooooooooo.

"OMG Deku should've been the main character!" /s

Starting to get real sick of Mirio fans saying the same stuff over and over again.

Jesus, calm down.

Lakuza

Manga chapter thoughts, so spoilers if you havent read it yet:

plus chaos XD

Also, feels like theres no high stakes anymore with the reveal of Eri's power. Everyone will most likely be ok by the end of this arc (unless league of villains succeed in capturing her)

plus chaos XD

Also, feels like theres no high stakes anymore with the reveal of Eri's power. Everyone will most likely be ok by the end of this arc (unless league of villains succeed in capturing her)

I'm a little confused by it to be honest. If it's the ability to reset/rewind things to a different point in time... does that mean it's just reverting people's quirk to a point before they emerged? How did they make it limited to quirks?

Beyond that, it does still feel like Horikoshi is having to play catchup with stuff like the 'they dug a hole' explanation. The chapter's fine overall - a character defying their abuser, I can get behind - but it feels a touch unbalanced.

Lakuza

I'm a little confused by it to be honest. If it's the ability to reset/rewind things to a different point in time... does that mean it's just reverting people's quirk to a point before they emerged? How did they make it limited to quirks?

Beyond that, it does still feel like Horikoshi is having to play catchup with stuff like the 'they dug a hole' explanation. The chapter's fine overall - a character defying their abuser, I can get behind - but it feels a touch unbalanced.

Thats what all the experimentations done to her were for, to limit the quirk down to reverting the quirk gene to a state where it never developed.

Nightbird

Given the explanation we got so far, I feel like "undo" is a name more fitting than "rewind"

Doesn't change that it's the ultimate deus ex machina quirk.

MrCinos

I doubted it'd happen, but now I'm 99.99% sure Eri will be kidnapped by Compress and live with League of Villains for a while. I really wanted this to happen for a long while and so glad it seems to be the case now. Otherwise I don't see any reason to introduce Compress' clone with this specific purpose this late into the arc. Also, considering the nature of Eri's quirk, with her out of picture heroes' side wouldn't be able to get remedy for Mirio's situation anytime soon.

Most of all though I can't wait for Shigaraki's interactions with her. Eri's backstory is probably quite close to his own and I'm sure he'd be treating her well. There's going to be a golden opportunity for single parent comedy routine with him too.

Thats what all the experimentations done to her were for, to limit the quirk down to reverting the quirk gene to a state where it never developed.

Right, but how do you do that? I realise I'm overthinking it, but given how mysterious the science of quirks has been presented as, it feels like there's a difference between 'extend the symptoms' (when we assumed it was just quirk erasure) and 'pin it down to a specific target'.

Also I sorta see potential in the Shigaraki connection mentioned above. Could be a way of loosening All For One's grip on him.

MrCinos

A few months ago this really sold me on the idea of how good it'd be for everyone involved if something like that happened and Eri would live with League of Villains, at least for a while. Can't believe it's actually happening.

Bowl0l

In other words, Eri's quirk just reset Lemillion's growth of his quirk?
We are going to see hints of Lemillion phaser at the end of the arc, right?

MrCinos

In other words, Eri's quirk just reset Lemillion's growth of his quirk?
We are going to see hints of Lemillion phaser at the end of the arc, right?

What, why? I assume she need to touch him for that. Which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon as I'm pretty sure Eri gets kidnapped by Compress very soon.

LotusHD

Banned

Blame Mirio for being so awesome ;D

---

Panels were a little hard to follow. Anyways, I don't know how I feel about this chapter, namely regarding Eri's original quirk ability.

Also slightly irked that Eri in two chapters went from returning back to Overhaul due to the conditioning she's been through, to suddenly breaking free of it all of the sudden. The girls' fight was also pretty underwhelming, but I guess that's to be expected considering we're focused on this now.

Best part of the chapter was learning a bit more about the League's plans.

DNAbro

I need more details about Eri's Quirk. This is the first time in this series where I'm thinking that this may be a really bad idea to introduce something like this. Way too convenient to undo things that have happened. Will she be able to "rewind" Miro's quirk loss or does it not work like that since he's already been "rewinded" by the bullet? Could she rewind All Might to a state of health? Rewind all of Nighteye's injuries? Revive the dead? And if she gets kidnapped by League, restore All for One (if they break him out which I feel like will happen eventually)? Fix Mr. Compress's arm? Way too many questions on how it works and what she can actually do. Hell I somewhat think it might be better if she dies so none of these things happen.

Then there is whole "bend the future" part and wondering if the predictions are going to come true and Eri's how they get out of it. That would prove Nighteye's predictions are near absolute and All Might will die.

There were parts that I did like her unconsciously grabbing for Mirio's cape and that very angry Deku face.

Earth

Banned
The day when Quirk rules become more like circa-Part 5 Stands - god help us.

So if I'm reading right, Eri's quirk would be useful for Photoshop; seems to be an overpowered Ctrl+Alt+Z.

caliph95

Was this rushed or just a coincidence that both Nejire and the bullet have powers related to "vitality" (whatever that means here)

Part of me thinking how the bullet has power that can counter Nejire by making her weaker and unable to use her shockwaves plus with Hiroshiki sick this battle may have been different originaly

Or I'm reading too much into it
The day when Quirk rules become more like circa-Part 5 Stands - god help us.

So if I'm reading right, Eri's quirk would be useful for Photoshop; seems to be an overpowered Ctrl+Alt+Z.
Why is it raining frogs

This must be the work of an enemy quirk

kirblar

That Eri power clarification sure implies Mirio can probably get his powers back in a few years. (also an out to Nighteye being dead lol)

LotusHD

Banned
Was this rushed or just a coincidence that both Nejire and the bullet have powers related to "vitality" (whatever that means here)

Part of me thinking how the bullet has power that can counter Nejire by making her weaker and unable to use her shockwaves plus with Hiroshiki sick this battle may have been different originaly

All I know is that I'm waiting for Nejire to get her moment like the other two did

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I imagine Eri has limits to what she can "rewind" or "undo". Horikoshi tries not to make someone too over-powered. We'll have to wait and see

Bowl0l

What, why? I assume she need to touch him for that. Which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon as I'm pretty sure Eri gets kidnapped by Compress very soon.
i meant that Lemillion's quirk will recover itself, probably take years if it switch to an earlier state, before a user awakens their quirk. I am expecting a scene like Magneto moving a chess piece.

NSESN

Funny that Eri, Overhaul and Shigaraki all have almost the same powers. It basically confirms she will meet Shigaraki too based that both killed their fathers when the quirk manifested.

How does she erase fused overhaul then
I think she can revert anything to their previous stage. So a human would revert to nothing. A quirk gene woud revert to a normal gene and a fusion would revert to a non fused state. I wonder if she can control how much she will revert something.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
From what I can tell it looks like she "destroyed" the existence of the fusion. She can erase the existence of anything, a person, mouse, quirk, or a fusion state. Problem is that up till now she didn't know how to control it. She could have just caused overhaul + his lacky to stop existing, but she isn't a murderer. So she went for the more deft control of erasing the existence of the fusion state itself.

Top Bottom