• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My launch ps5 is dead

Fahdis

Is a tv not hardware? What about your controller?

Yea, things that can be replaced with ease. Besides, why do people get so pissed with options. I don't want to buy a $1500 GPU or a $500 console, when I have the same quality experience with a $50 or $100 sub annually on a Gig internet. Besides, I don't have space for those fucking huge Foreman Grills or Minecraft 2x Cubes when my choice of hardware is an App online.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
my ps5 disc drive died 2 weeks ago... still waiting for some info from sony, also d1 console, was always way too loud when reading discs but one day stopped reading everything... hope the warranty will cover it, otherwise will be my last sony console. I know being a d1 buyer is being like a tester, still sucks...
My disc drive is also too loud and now you've scared me.

Wohc

Banned
Warranty is different for different regions. In EU you can always go to the point of sale to claim consumer law. It is at least two years and sometimes longer.
But it's useless after 12 months because of the reversal of the burden of proof. I live in Germany.
not in europe.
Don't mix up commercial guarantee and the legal warranty. It's just 1 year commercial guarantee by Sony in Germany and i also think in Europe.

Fahdis

I am sorry but this thinking is ridiculous.I don’t buy a car can break down don’t buy a house can have problems and so on this is absolutely wrong thinking and you making your life unenjoiable.Who would take such a nonsense thinking and live after that so you don’t buy a consoles because they could break down?You also shouldn’t make children because guess what child could get sick or die in some accident you also shouldn’t leave your home because you could break your leg or so best for you is hide from this world and everything
You are taking the story of one person here or two people as validation of your thinking but what about those 10s of millions who have happy working ps5 ever thought of that?

Lmao, thanks for the rage post. I hope you the best in your endeavors. I am having the same fun experiences as you, only I own my games and I play them without having to see something brick.

Fahdis

I've seen the future you chose. I prefer the past.

I don't really care for opinions that don't have any experience associated with certain Cloud Services. After my GTX 1080 bricked from a power surge 2 years back, I realized not only was I saving electricity cost, I don't have to worry about my room turning into a heater when its already summers, there is no need to replace form factors or buy cards when I can just rent one off the Cloud and play amazing 2K or 4K gaming from things I already own with a software app and good internet.

Banned
🥲 Good luck fren. This is why I stopped buying hardware in general. I've become a huge Cloud advocate for those who can afford the internet speeds and a TV. Not my hardware, not my problem. Its been very easy for me since 2 years now. Either way, good luck, hopefully you have warranty and it can be replaced.

imagine using the dogshit latency and image quality of a cloud service as your main way to play games. that is even a level below mobile gaming to me

Sony's console warranty sucks. Why is it just one year on consoles? My Sony tv has 2.
It is? Where do you live? In Europe it's 2 years mandatory warranty and i got 3 extra years for 50 euros of insurance in case something bad happens.

First 2 years it's on Sony, 3 next years i got insurance. If my PS5 somehow breaks and a PS5 Pro is out for 500 euros (while this model is at 400 or something) i have the right to get the most expensive model even.

I'm set for this gen.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
that's why in the EU every manufacturer has to offer 2 years of warranty for electronic devices.
Should be as long as the gen. About 7yrs.

Or order very attractive discounted repair service.

I just think its not right that some people will spend the price of one console throughout the gen but other ls may have to spend double that because there console broke.

Fahdis

imagine using the dogshit latency and image quality of a cloud service as your main way to play games. that is even a level below mobile gaming to me

I can assure you, you probably have more latency with the PS5 and Xbox than GeForce Now with specific games. And I am subbed to the 3080 Tier. I don't miss console gaming one bit and on top of that, I feel that I have a more superior experience than "console" ones by maxing out every setting and playing on either 2K 120 FPS or 4K 60 FPS consistently with FSR and DLSS implementations, Ray Tracing, HDR and 7.1 Surround Sound. Your perception is pretty faulty along with probable shit internet. Anyways, I can't explain the service to you plebs, so I would expect you to experience it on ethernet on your own. It's literally magic.

Anyways, good luck!

You Will be a Conservative!

Anyways, I see you as the mobile gamer, neither did I attack anyone or even the OP, I just shared my thought perception. Not going to derail the thread anymore. Mods, delete if you want.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
But it's useless after 12 months because of the reversal of the burden of proof. I live in Germany.

Don't mix up commercial guarantee and the legal warranty. It's just 1 year commercial guarantee by Sony in Germany and i also think in Europe.
Wtf does this even mean?
in the EU it's 2 years warranty on electronics, and every member state has to follow this, unless national laws actually stipulate more years, it's never less.
"reversal of the burden of proof", also really means nothing in practice, it just means you'll have to submit your product to testing if the seller/manufacturer requests to; if you constantly got claimed to breaking it yourself after 12 months, then maybe you just had bad luck, or things are just shitty in Germany.

Tams

If they try to pull that on you, you just threaten to make a massive stink on social media and to take them to small claims court. Companies back down, what, 90% of the time.

If they don't, then if you have time, take them to small claims court out of pure spite.

Wohc

Banned
Wtf does this even mean?
in the EU it's 2 years warranty on electronics, and every member state has to follow this, unless national laws actually stipulate more years, it's never less.
"reversal of the burden of proof", also really means nothing in practice, it just means you'll have to submit your product to testing if the seller/manufacturer requests to; if you constantly got claimed to breaking it yourself after 12 months, then maybe you just had bad luck, or things are just shitty in Germany.
To be honest i don't know the exact englisch words for it, but we have "Garantie" (voluntarily by the manufactorer) and "gesetzliche Gewährleistung" (24 months by law from the retailer). Sony gives 1 year Garantie (voluntaily) and the retailer where you buy the product has to give 24 months Gewährleistung. If it breaks after 12 months it's your burden to prove the retailer that it was already faulty when you bought it. And you usually can't. As far as i know it's the same for most european countries.

Last edited:
As I said months before launch, it's an overengineered pos. I feel you. Mine is acting funny from time to time during gameplay, and I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened to me at some point, too. I get the frustration. Me personally, I'd stick with the platform and accept the annoyances. Maybe we got another 360 situation on our hands in a year or so when this genious liquid metal cooling solution shits the bed left and right.
I wonder if I would get away posting stuff like that here about a certain other hardware. :messenger_expressionless:

Anyway, there won't be any 360 like situations happening, the console release in November 2020 and we are in June 2022 and nothing suggests that something like that is happening.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Friggin’ great.

It turned off while playing Elden ring, now refuses to turn on. I tried unplugging and waiting, tried a different tv and hdmi cable, nothing.

Animated GIF
Looks to me like overheating problem, maybe some soldering problem after overheat.
Honestly I'm worried after I measured 75C on my ps5 after 5 hours of Elden ring play session......

I wonder if I would get away posting stuff like that here about a certain other hardware. :messenger_expressionless:

Anyway, there won't be any 360 like situations happening, the console release in November 2020 and we are in June 2022 and nothing suggests that something like that is happening.
Not sure which hardware you are referring to here, but I give every company equally shit if I'm not pleased as a consumer.

I agree, the 360 showed signs of bad hw design much earlier in it's lifecycle. I just hope the cooling solution of this thing isn't something that's nice and quiet for a couple of years, only to explode in our faces later. I don't trust liquid metal (for no particular/logical reason).

Apple fixed my iPhone free of charge after 19 months. Only needed to show them proof of purchase.

Store where I bought my GPU refunded the full purchase amount after 2.5 years. Although that might be the manufacturer covering repairs/refunds up to 3 years.

Last edited:
Sony's console warranty sucks. Why is it just one year on consoles? My Sony tv has 2.
In europe is a 2 years warranty a law. My PS5 has a 2 years warranty, i live in the Netherlands. Mine is runing fine. Normaly there is incalculated 3% faillure rate in "new" hardware.

🥲 Good luck fren. This is why I stopped buying hardware in general. I've become a huge Cloud advocate for those who can afford the internet speeds and a TV. Not my hardware, not my problem. Its been very easy for me since 2 years now. Either way, good luck, hopefully you have warranty and it can be replaced.
You stopped buying hardware because of the 0.1% failure rate and instead deal with all the issues of game streaming? Alright then.

And don't give me that "afford internet speeds". There is no internet and streaming service on the planet that can match local hardware play for videogames.

draliko

My disc drive is also too loud and now you've scared me.
i don't really know what to say, from the first day i got it was always very loud and always felt something wasn't right, probably is just bad luck, a defective unit can happen with everything, but reading online (at the time especially) seemed like was a know problem, maybe a batch of defective units. (i saw a lot of videos online, and mine was way louder of what i saw)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
On behalf of Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs and anyone else skeptical of the PS5 hardware situation in this thread, I'd like to apologize for the undue stress this thread has caused you and the Sony community as a whole. In no way does this hardware failure represent the values of PS or Jim Ryan. PS only sells the highest quality content for its users who value a premium experience. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that corrective action can be taken.

Swift_Star

Banned
On behalf of Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs and anyone else skeptical of the PS5 hardware situation in this thread, I'd like to apologize for the undue stress this thread has caused you and the Sony community as a whole. In no way does this hardware failure represent the values of PS or Jim Ryan. PS only sells the highest quality content for its users who value a premium experience. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that corrective action can be taken.
I like your cats avatar better.

It doesn't matter how long the warranty is, you can almost always guarantee that the item will develop a fault *after* the warranty has elapsed!!! At least, that is my experience with warranties. They are never long enough.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
In europe is a 2 years warranty a law. My PS5 has a 2 years warranty, i live in the Netherlands. Mine is runing fine. Normaly there is incalculated 3% faillure rate in "new" hardware.
It's also just one year in the Netherlands from Sony (SIEE garandeert dat dit product vrij is van fouten in materiaal en vakmanschap die zouden kunnen leiden tot storingen bij normaal
gebruik, in overeenstemming met de onderstaande voorwaarden, en zal, gedurende een periode van 1 (een) jaar vanaf de oorspronkelijke aankoopdatum (de ‘garantieperiode’), elk onderdeel gratis herstellen of (naar voorkeur van SIEE) vervangen, indien de fout een direct gevolg is van defect materiaal of ondermaats vakmanschap.)

The 2 years by law is another story like i said above.

Gamerguy84

Looks like you've done what you can here and let Sony handle it.

Or even check out r/consolerepair those guys have worked on several.

Also mine did something similar once. Must have been some kind of glitch because I walked away for 15 minutes and it came back on and hasn't acted up since. I wasnt upset because I have two of them and it was still under warranty.

mdkirby

My first one died in December. About a week after the warranty ended. It cost I think £250, or £300 ish to extend the warranty over the phone with sony, then they emailed a shipping label. Had to print that out, pop the ps5 in a box with plenty of re-used padding from amazon boxes, and send it in. They sent me a new console within 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Sucks going without for any period tho, was of course too long to wait, so I got a series X to tie me over in the meantime. First Xbox in many years...It's 'ok', I guess, and useful to have for whenever all the studios they bought actually start releasing stuff. But definitely missed the playstation whilst it was away.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I can assure you, you probably have more latency with the PS5 and Xbox than GeForce Now with specific games. And I am subbed to the 3080 Tier. I don't miss console gaming one bit and on top of that, I feel that I have a more superior experience than "console" ones by maxing out every setting and playing on either 2K 120 FPS or 4K 60 FPS consistently with FSR and DLSS implementations, Ray Tracing, HDR and 7.1 Surround Sound. Your perception is pretty faulty along with probable shit internet. Anyways, I can't explain the service to you plebs, so I would expect you to experience it on ethernet on your own. It's literally magic.

Anyways, good luck!

You Will be a Conservative!

Anyways, I see you as the mobile gamer, neither did I attack anyone or even the OP, I just shared my thought perception. Not going to derail the thread anymore. Mods, delete if you want.
This was a longwinded way to say “man, I pay $200/year to stream videogames and I can’t even play Elden Ring.”

Incredible service.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My first one died in December. About a week after the warranty ended. It cost I think £250, or £300 ish to extend the warranty over the phone with sony, then they emailed a shipping label. Had to print that out, pop the ps5 in a box with plenty of re-used padding from amazon boxes, and send it in. They sent me a new console within 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Sucks going without for any period tho, was of course too long to wait, so I got a series X to tie me over in the meantime. First Xbox in many years...It's 'ok', I guess, and useful to have for whenever all the studios they bought actually start releasing stuff. But definitely missed the playstation whilst it was away.

I’m glad to hear you experienced a quick turnaround.

Wtf does this even mean?
I'm living in germany and haven't had any issues with warranty yet.
I just need to bring my device to the store where I bought it and I'll get a replacement.

Lmao, thanks for the rage post. I hope you the best in your endeavors. I am having the same fun experiences as you, only I own my games and I play them without having to see something brick.
I am sorry if my post was a bit hard was not meant to be rude.If you would have an ps5 or switch or Xbox the chances of it breaking are non existent you could say.And even if it breaks let’s say you have an faulty device from factory or while transporting something happened you have 2 years warranty most places even sell you for 50 or so extended warranty so you could have your ps5 under warranty for 4-5 years a consol life till the next generation comes.But you are missing out on all the great games which comes out exclusives and stuff.I understand you are a bit concerned but you don’t have to bit of course it’s your choice.

I don't know, I have to watch everything I say and going around calling a console piece of shit or predicting some catastrophic imaginary hardware problems just sound like the sort of thing that would get me in trouble given that I got in trouble for a lot less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom