• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My left PS4 thumbstick is screwed up beyond belief

It started I guess when I was playing Last of Us. I'd been blaming the game for about two days now as when I was controlling Joel he'd just suddenly stop or try and turn around quickly. Its only when I tried my thumbstick out as a mouse curser for the web browser that I discovered the real horror.

First off, the cursor is always drifting upwards regardless of whether I'm touching it, its not much but its there. Not a big deal I guess as I'd had drift before. However if I push my thumbstick exactly to the right it goes a very heavy diagonal down/right. Its a good 45 degree angle off when I'm pushing it. Pressing left makes it go up/left.

This is my only controller and I'm pretty pissed I'm going to have to buy a new one. I think the warranty only covers it for 90 days. Anyone heard of this before or a way to fix it? Playing games is really tough at the moment.

LycanXIII

The same thing has happened to mine! Left stick too! Luckily I have a spare one though. I'm going to find a screwdriver and clean mine out to see if that helps.

The same thing has happened to mine! Left stick too! Luckily I have a spare one though. I'm going to find a screwdriver and clean mine out to see if that helps.

The exact problem? Damn, that can't be a coincidence. Let me know how taking it apart goes, I don't want springs flying about everywhere and ruining it completely.

LycanXIII

The exact problem? Damn, that can't be a coincidence. Let me know how taking it apart goes, I don't want springs flying about everywhere and ruining it completely.

I first noticed it when watching Youtube videos in the browser. The cursor would scroll up across the screen. Didn't think much of it until the Destiny Beta. I'd have a hard time moving forward, thinking I was getting caught on some bad textures. Tried moving backwards and had no problem. I switched controllers and everything was smooth. But I'll let you know how it goes once I find a screwdriver that will fit!

Don't assume that it's not covered. I just sent in a controller for a torn thumb-stick cover and they covered it (I paid shipping to them). They sent a new controller.

I got no hassle at all and it was a launch system so 90 days would have been Feb 13. I sent mine in just last month.

On Demand

Banned
That happens to 2 of my PS3 controllers sometimes. Not only that either, for some reason the controller gets possessed and starts controlling itself. I try to do one thing and it does the other.

Sounds like a software issue if all you guys are affected.

I just googled the issue and see someone complain about the same thing back in December of last year. Don't think that's a software issue.

Can I unpair the controller and try pairing it again? Is that possible on a ps4?

KyleCross

That happens to 2 of my PS3 controllers sometimes. Not only that either, for some reason the controller gets possessed and starts controlling itself. I try to do one thing and it does the other.

Plenty of ghosts were gamers when they were alive I'm sure. Just let them have it for a bit go make a sandwich or something.

chewydogg

My left stick is screwed as well. When I push right & up diagonal, the character walks backwards. I couldn't find a tiny screwdriver, so I haven't taken it apart yet.

Shinjiru

I feel your pain man. The left stick on one of my PS3 controllers drifts really bad. No problems so far with the DS4 I've used since launch.

BokehKing

Banned
Started with the 50 hours of Destiny, I have gel tabs on now but it's just not the same, I heard I can do a surgery to place the Xbox One knobs on there.

When will we start seeing 3rd party controllers? . Towards the end I saw thumb sticks placed "360 fashion" on a couple ps3 controllers at best buy

Abylim

It started I guess when I was playing Last of Us. I'd been blaming the game for about two days now as when I was controlling Joel he'd just suddenly stop or try and turn around quickly. Its only when I tried my thumbstick out as a mouse curser for the web browser that I discovered the real horror.

First off, the cursor is always drifting upwards regardless of whether I'm touching it, its not much but its there. Not a big deal I guess as I'd had drift before. However if I push my thumbstick exactly to the right it goes a very heavy diagonal down/right. Its a good 45 degree angle off when I'm pushing it. Pressing left makes it go up/left.

This is my only controller and I'm pretty pissed I'm going to have to buy a new one. I think the warranty only covers it for 90 days. Anyone heard of this before or a way to fix it? Playing games is really tough at the moment.

Ok something must be up.
Bought a ps4 a few weeks ago, no issues until I started playing Killzone.
In neutral, my character would slowly walk forward every now and then!
I played for a bit on my other controller, no issues. 45 mins, and nothing!
I started using the problem controller and it started doing it within minutes.

I was able to return it at least, but I'm definitely worried.
I read a few threads about how the sticks were peeling or something, brushed it off as something small. Apparently there are some issues though

biteren

for the most part, the DS4 might be one of the easiest controllers to dismantle, just be careful of the triggers or else you know.....springs, tiny springs

Warablo

This is weird because I noticed my left stick was drifting on Youtube like yesterday, but I didn't think much of it. I didn't notice anything different playing games today, at least I don't think.

Don't assume that it's not covered. I just sent in a controller for a torn thumb-stick cover and they covered it (I paid shipping to them). They sent a new controller.

I got no hassle at all and it was a launch system so 90 days would have been Feb 13. I sent mine in just last month.

If that's the case I'm calling them tomorrow.

Past

I thought this would be about the rubber coming off lol. Mine started peeling off after heavily playing UFC, then I bought those analog stick covers to prevent further damage.

agc

I have this problem too and Sony Support pointed out to me that it's covered under the year warranty when you bought the system. All I have to do is pay shipping to them.

On Demand

Banned
Plenty of ghosts were gamers when they were alive I'm sure. Just let them have it for a bit go make a sandwich or something.

You don't want to know how many times i threw my controller playing COD. I'm shooting or trying to run and a grenade gets used or my wepon changes. In the browser the cursor goes nuts and starts flying all over the screen. This happens with my red and black controllers. The white one is fine.

I tried resetting them but it only works for a while.

Everdred

Care to share the route you went to get it replaced? Like a support link or number?

I have this problem too and Sony Support pointed out to me that it's covered under the year warranty when you bought the system. All I have to do is pay shipping to them.

Thanks, I'll contact them on Tuesday as its a holiday here tomorrow. Still gonna be without a controller for almost two weeks which sucks as i can't even use Netflix. However its better than paying I guess.

Sushi Nao

I find, when I'm running forwards in a game, that my thumb starts to slip forward off the left stick. I have to reach over with my right thumb to continue running, readjust my left, then return my right thumb.

I'm used to adopting a claw for Dark Souls item and spell switching while running, and weird finger use for healing and zoom simultaneously in Syndicate multiplayer, so it's not hard, it just feels super goofy and uncomfortable.

I had a very similar problem, also noticed it with TLoU. The problem I had was getting the character on screen to move forward, constantly stuttering, slowing down and even stopping. If I moved backwards then it worked fine. What's funny is that the exact same thing happened last year with my DS3, also with TLoU, I had to buy a new DS3 and that one worked great. I tried to plug in the DS4 and press the reset button and guess what? There was no fucking reset button!! Just a hole that went down to the board. It's also my only controller, sent it to Sony so now I'm just waiting for the replacement.

playXray

In the UK at least you will have a 12 month warranty, and even if it fails after that you should have some degree of protection. I don't know where you live but it's got to be worth trying to return it for a replacement.

I don't think we're truly in the "next generation" until we get this analog stick drifting think sorted the fuck out.

But this does sound like a software thing, oddly enough.

ZeroX03

Banned
Most countries are 1-year warranty. Can't hurt to call Sony.

My controller is fine, but my understanding is that here you just bring the faulty controller into the retailer you purchased from or a Sony store and they'll deal with replacing it for you. I think EB Games here just swaps it for you, as PS4 controller fault/wear seems reasonably common.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The amount of dual shock 4s I've had to swap at work with the torn sticks. Broken r2 buttons. Stuck r1 buttons. I hope it gets a new revision soon. It's a cheap controller. Feels great but poor build quality.

Quexex

Banned
Sounds like you booted up the Ps4 while holding the stick in an off centre position. Most consoles calibrate the pad on boot. If you boot it up holding a direction then that direction is the new zero position. I've had this happen on the Vita and the Ps3. Turn it all off (PS4 actually off) and boot up again this time make sure you only press the ps button.

If that doesn't fix it then send it back.

Both sticks of mine are broken too. The left stick has a forward "dead zone" as I'm calling it. When I push the stick forward multiple things can happen ranging from full jog to very slow walk to nothing. I have to manipulate the camera so that left diagonal is forward. Also when I use any direction it will randomly input 'up' I found this out in Mercenary Kings. The right stick has drift. I'm making due but it's a pain right now.

derExperte

Call support anyway or complain to the retailer you bought the system from.

Started with the 50 hours of Destiny, I have gel tabs on now but it's just not the same, I heard I can do a surgery to place the Xbox One knobs on there.

When will we start seeing 3rd party controllers? . Towards the end I saw thumb sticks placed "360 fashion" on a couple ps3 controllers at best buy

Somebody didn't read the op.

Call support anyway or complain to the retailer you bought the system from.

I got it from ebgames/GameStop. I'll ask if they do an in store replacement but I don't think they do this late after the purchase. No harm in asking though I guess.

I pressed that reset button underneath too so see if it did anything. All it seemed to do was disconnect from the ps4.

Requiem

Unfortunately my stick has also started to deteriorate.

Rubber is split right now and I can see the plastic from the stick. :(

that not very good customer service if they want you to pay shipping out of your pocket because they have bad quality control. I hope they give you something as compensation I wouldn't be thrilled if that was my experience.

Niccolo

I had the same thing happen while playing TLOU where I couldn't walk or run straight. Every direction on the left stick is fine except for straight up. Seems like it's dead in that area.

shandy706

Has Sony made any official attempt/announcement on the quality of their controllers?

It's like the console team worked overtime and the quality control guys over at accessories just sort of poked at the controller and said "it works".

Top Bottom