• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

PaulloDEC

This is pretty funny, but what's with this obsession with Luigi that I've seen on GAF the past couple of days?

What Owlowiscious said. If GAF continues its trend of taking memes by the throat and ferociously driving them into the ground, I have a feeling we'll be seeing an awful lot more of him over the next few weeks.

So, today I met Katie Cook at Phoenix Comicon. She is super friendly and wasn't at all freaked out by the large stack of pony comics I plopped down on her table. Each time she has been to Phoenix, she does little $10 water color commissions of pretty much anything you request. I had her paint my cat, Minnie, as well as Luna and Applejack. Because I lucked out and there wasn't a ton of people crowding around her, I was able to discuss the comic series with her for quite a while. So here is one interesting tidbit I learned: Celestia and Sombra actually kissed in the comic. The page was removed right before it hit the printer when someone at Hasbro noticed and denied them. She says working with Hasbro is interesting, depending on which day and who gets her scripts could mean an easy approval or a mountain of edits. She said she makes it through with the help of copious amounts of alcohol.

She was curious what my impression of the new arch has been. Since I am easy to please I told her I liked the new arch a lot because of the bold direction it took. I asked how Hasbro responded to the ending of the second arch and she said they were pretty iffy about it, but ultimately allowed it. It sounded like she and Andy Price really had to fight for it though. She also revealed that fan reaction has been pretty mixed to it, ranging from "I love it!" to "MY WAIFU!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!" We both agreed fans are weird. Wonderful, but weird. I mean, it's a horse.

Her favorite story she has written so far has been the Rarity micro series issue. She said if she was ever approached to write an episode, that would be the story she would tell. So after the Mirror, Mirror arch, there will be a 4 issue break from the main series before she and Andy return to it. The next four she is writing for the main series is going to be more like the Nails and the Art of Gazebo Repair and the Cadence/Shining Armor stories that are two-issue arches which are self contained. While she didn't mention what all four would be about, she did say that one of the arches is about Applejack, who is best pony. So exciting stuff. Oh, and the Friends Forever Rarity/AJ issue that's coming up sounds awesome too. She dropped a few hints what's in there, but I won't spoil anything. It'll be great though.

So that's pretty much it. TLDR: Katie Cook is rad. Buy her comics.

PaulloDEC

Anyway, the Rainbow Rocks short "Shake Your Tail" has officially been released after it was leaked a while ago. Still a mediocre song and still no explanation of where Twilight came from.

Yeah, it's not a very good one. That's another great thing about FiM vs EG I guess; there's only so many scenarios you can work with when your framework is "teen girls go to high school". Even when they are magical teen girls.

Hard to beat the variety and dramatic scale that FiM offers.

So, today I met Katie Cook at Phoenix Comicon. She is super friendly and wasn't at all freaked out by the large stack of pony comics I plopped down on her table. Each time she has been to Phoenix, she does little $10 water color commissions of pretty much anything you request. I had her paint my cat, Minnie, as well as Luna and Applejack. Because I lucked out and there wasn't a ton of people crowding around her, I was able to discuss the comic series with her for quite a while. So here is one interesting tidbit I learned: Celestia and Sombra actually kissed in the comic. The page was removed right before it hit the printer when someone at Hasbro noticed and denied them. She says working with Hasbro is interesting, depending on which day and who gets her scripts could mean an easy approval or a mountain of edits. She said she makes it through with the help of copious amounts of alcohol.

She was curious what my impression of the new arch has been. Since I am easy to please I told her I liked the new arch a lot because of the bold direction it took. I asked how Hasbro responded to the ending of the second arch and she said they were pretty iffy about it, but ultimately allowed it. It sounded like she and Andy Price really had to fight for it though. She also revealed that fan reaction has been pretty mixed to it, ranging from "I love it!" to "MY WAIFU!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!" We both agreed fans are weird. Wonderful, but weird. I mean, it's a horse.

Her favorite story she has written so far has been the Rarity micro series issue. She said if she was ever approached to write an episode, that would be the story she would tell. So after the Mirror, Mirror arch, there will be a 4 issue break from the main series before she and Andy return to it. The next four she is writing for the main series is going to be more like the Nails and the Art of Gazebo Repair and the Cadence/Shining Armor stories that are two-issue arches which are self contained. While she didn't mention what all four would be about, she did say that one of the arches is about Applejack, who is best pony. So exciting stuff. Oh, and the Friends Forever Rarity/AJ issue that's coming up sounds awesome too. She dropped a few hints what's in there, but I won't spoil anything. It'll be great though.

So that's pretty much it. TLDR: Katie Cook is rad. Buy her comics.

This was a great read, thanks for posting. I hope you'll show us those watercolours when you can, too!

$200

Banned
S3 Rankings

Magic Duel: (5*2+4*1+3*0+2*0+1*0)/3 - 4.67
Sleepless in Ponyville: (5*2+4*1+3*0+2*0+1*0)/3 - 4.67
Too Many Pinkie Pies: (5*3+4*3+3*0+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.50
One Bad Apple: (5*0+4*4+3*2+2*0+1*0)/6 - 3.67
The Crystal Empire - Part 2: (5*0+4*2+3*2+2*0+1*0)/4 - 3.50
The Crystal Empire - Part 1: (5*0+4*2+3*1+2*1+1*0)/4 - 3.25

* Too Many Pinkie Pies was increased from 4.40 to 4.50 due to one extra late vote from Lurky

S1 and S2

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
See, the problem with the PonyGAF rankings is it's such a small number of people voting. Should put a poll up on a site somewhere, link it in the IRC room, and let everyone vote for a few days.

PaulloDEC

See, the problem with the PonyGAF rankings is it's such a small number of people voting. Should put a poll up on a site somewhere, link it in the IRC room, and let everyone vote for a few days.

Second. Currently it's less like "PonyGAF" rankings and more like "Small subset of PonyGAF who show up in the IRC at precisely the right time" rankings.

$200

Banned
I think deviantArt might have some kind of poll system for paid members. That's probably our best option.

$200

Banned
Not feasible. That is a feature for supergroups only. I'm a paid member, so I can do polls, but anyone can vote.

Hmm. Unless someone can offer something concrete, I'm happy with the current poll system anyway since it has the advantage of making sure people vote after watching the episode rather than voting on reputation.

PaulloDEC

Hmm. Unless someone can offer something concrete, I'm happy with the current poll system anyway since it has the advantage of making sure people vote after watching the episode rather than voting on reputation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but could we not all just post our rankings in the OT? We can't force people to rewatch (or confirm that they've done so) in any case.

As some in the IRC know, I went to Phoenix Comicon today. I had hoped to see pony cosplayers, and I did. Saw a Fluttershy before I even picked up my badge, and saw another one later. I also saw a Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Princess Celestia, Shining Armor, and even a little girl dressed as Derpy. I wasn't able to get any photos of them because my phone battery ran out. I was also able to meet Katie Cook. She didn't even have a line, so I just walked right up and told her that I loved the Luna micro comic, and we both wished that the fun Luna in the comics would show up in the actual show. I also saw some pony merch, including the regular convention figures like DJ Pon-3 and Doctor Whooves. There were also plushes of all the Mane Six, Spike, and Princess Celestia. I also got this bag when I bought my Supreme Dalek.
10366159_810780525601126_6981525820608321891_n.jpg

As some in the IRC know, I went to Phoenix Comicon today. I had hoped to see pony cosplayers, and I did.

I feel like there was an overall much bigger pony presence at this year's con than last year's. Tons of pony merchandise, bags, t-shirts, etc. I was surprised last year that there wasn't a lot of stuff, but this year really delivered. Those plushies were knock-offs though. I was tempted to get an Applejack or Luna but when I looked at the tag I didn't see a Hasbro stamp anywhere, and I really changed my mind when I noticed Rarity had wings. I will not support knock-offs so I will just wait for the 4de Applejack to come out, which looks loads better anyways.

Did you get a chance to meet Katie Cook?

Did you get a chance to meet Katie Cook?

I was also able to meet Katie Cook. She didn't even have a line, so I just walked right up and told her that I loved the Luna micro comic, and we both wished that the fun Luna in the comics would show up in the actual show.

Well, anyway, Dana Simpson of Heavenly Nostrils fame is doing a cover for issue #20 of the comic (details in link).

I do really recommend reading Heavenly Nostrils, by the way. I'm sure it's been brought up previously, but not in a while.

I was also able to meet Katie Cook. She didn't even have a line, so I just walked right up and told her that I loved the Luna micro comic, and we both wished that the fun Luna in the comics would show up in the actual show.

D'oh! To be fair to myself I was exhausted when I originally read his post. 2 straight days at Comicon with 4 hours of sleep will do that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just finished up with the Journal of the Two Sisters, well, the Celestia and Luna bits. Not the comprehensive look at the history I was hoping for. It's really just a chronicle of the first few months of their reign. Outside establishing that the two have in fact always been Alicorns (in fact it really nails down a similarity between Celestia and Luna and the Maiar (beings like the Wizards) in Lord of the Rings), there is little to build on the current canon, and it it's really just new canon. A fun story though. I think it will screw with PaulloDEC's timeline a bit.

While never mentioning Discord, it does put Discord's reign as something that interrupted the reign of Celestia and Luna. They were already in charge before he shows up.

Edit: LOL
U7Adwab.png

Omnibus of the first 12 issues of the main comic coming soon, covering up to the Shining Armor and Cadance story.

Also, details of the journal taken from the Round Stable thread.
* Celestia and Luna came from a society of alicorns, though this is only mentioned a few times in passing and is not expanded on. The comparison to the Maiar seems to be one everyone is making.
* Naturally born alicorns age slowly.
* Starswirl traveled to the future and may have met Twilight, though he doesn't tell anyone about his trip. Season 5 hinting?
* The original Commander Hurricane was male, and thus, it's safe to assume that none of the characters from the Hearts Warming Eve pageant actually looked like the Main Six. Their personalities were apparently right on, though.
* The zebra homeland is on the other side of the Everfree Forest.
* Luna has the ability to talk to animals. (Element of Kindness?)

PaulloDEC

Just finished up with the Journal of the Two Sisters, well, the Celestia and Luna bits. Not the comprehensive look at the history I was hoping for. It's really just a chronicle of the first few months of their reign. Outside establishing that the two have in fact always been Alicorns (in fact it really nails down a similarity between Celestia and Luna and the Maiar (beings like the Wizards) in Lord of the Rings), there is little to build on the current canon, and it it's really just new canon. A fun story though. I think it will screw with PaulloDEC's timeline a bit.

While never mentioning Discord, it does put Discord's reign as something that interrupted the reign of Celestia and Luna. They were already in charge before he shows up.

That fits with the changes I made a week or two back (based on the scraps we had at that stage), thankfully. It also fits with Celestia and Luna already having their crowns during the flashback to Discord's reign.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: LOL
U7Adwab.png

Ha!

Also, details of the journal taken from the Round Stable thread.
* Celestia and Luna came from a society of alicorns, though this is only mentioned a few times in passing and is not expanded on. The comparison to the Maiar seems to be one everyone is making.
* Naturally born alicorns age slowly.
* Starswirl traveled to the future and may have met Twilight, though he doesn't tell anyone about his trip. Season 5 hinting?
* The original Commander Hurricane was male, and thus, it's safe to assume that none of the characters from the Hearts Warming Eve pageant actually looked like the Main Six. Their personalities were apparently right on, though.
* The zebra homeland is on the other side of the Everfree Forest.
* Luna has the ability to talk to animals. (Element of Kindness?)

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

$200

Banned
Question that came out of irc earlier: Do you think you would have become a fan if the main cast were male?

We got 3 no and 0 yes in the channel.

PaulloDEC

Question that came out of irc earlier: Do you think you would have become a fan if the main cast were male?

No from me. The (almost) all-girl cast is one of the things that makes the show feel different and unique.

So... this is a thing. A fan-made card game where you play as Twilight writing terrible shipfics and your goal is to make a more convoluted love polygon than your opponent. The cards are decently amusing and the art is pretty adorable on a lot of them.

I usually get annoyed when people put up crowdfunding sites for things like this, but all the cards are available for free and the funding is just for printing pre-made decks and traveling to BronyCon, so eh. It's already funded anyway.

$200

Banned
So... this is a thing. A fan-made card game where you play as Twilight writing terrible shipfics and your goal is to make a more convoluted love polygon than your opponent. The cards are decently amusing and the art is pretty adorable on a lot of them.

I usually get annoyed when people put up crowdfunding sites for things like this, but all the cards are available for free and the funding is just for printing pre-made decks and traveling to BronyCon, so eh. It's already funded anyway.
medium.jpeg

PaulloDEC

This tumbler is really adorable sometimes.

tumblr_n713rr0KQ01tzao8qo1_1280.jpg

I love that Tumblr. Amazing art, and very cute.

This is actually pretty hilarious. I like it!

This image needs more use.

akira28

I love lighthearted parody hypermeta like this.

draetenth

Yes, I think I would. I like the show because it's cute and well written not because of the gender of the main cast.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ursa Major is the same color as Twilight's magic.

Uras Minor is the same color as Trixie's magic.

That's some subtle allegory...

Psxphile

Ursa Major is the same color as Twilight's magic.

Uras Minor is the same color as Trixie's magic.

That's some subtle allegory...

Trixie confirmed as Sparkle's future daughter who was sent into the past by an errant time spell when she was a foal and now all grown up with no knowledge of her parents? We Marvel now?

Might be too subtle for me. What are you trying to say?

$200

Banned
S3 Rankings

Magic Duel: (5*2+4*1+3*0+2*0+1*0)/3 - 4.67
Sleepless in Ponyville: (5*2+4*1+3*0+2*0+1*0)/3 - 4.67
Too Many Pinkie Pies: (5*3+4*3+3*0+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.50
Wonderbolts Academy: (5*0+4*4+3*1+2*0+1*0)/5 - 3.80
One Bad Apple: (5*0+4*4+3*2+2*0+1*0)/6 - 3.67 - new
The Crystal Empire - Part 2: (5*0+4*2+3*2+2*0+1*0)/4 - 3.50
The Crystal Empire - Part 1: (5*0+4*2+3*1+2*1+1*0)/4 - 3.25
Apple Family Reunion: (5*0+4*3+3*0+2*2+1*0)/5 - 3.20 - new

S1 and S2

akira28

I like the idea of Trixie and Twilight ending up good friends. They compliment each others personalities.

depends. I don't think they could have pulled it off with male ponies. I think it'd actually be limited in a way.

Top Bottom