• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"It's not really in Ponyville. More like Ponyville-adjacent."

This feels like a reference. Is this a reference? This is kind of driving me nuts. A cursory Google Search pulled up nothing for me.

Rock Solid Friendship
While I suppose there is some appeal to keeping Maud an inscrutable figure who is impossible for anyone to really get other than Pinkie, as seen in her introduction, I do like how they expanded her through her interactions with Starlight. We already knew that she can enjoy stuff without wanting to talk about it, but this is the first time we've seen how this plays out beyond rocks and Pinkie. Maud feels more like an actual character now.

I liked the lampshade hanging about how common Rarity's gems are in Equestria. And Twilight's property value just went down when Maud revealed that the crystals in the castle aren't anything special.

Maud asking for a friend is being presented more like her asking for a good person to date. We were so close to my desire of Trixie appearing and them acknowledging her being on the rock farm. Maybe another time.

It's interesting how this episode is basically "No Second Prances" but with a Main Six character getting over excited about the new friend rather then trying to get anyone but her. Also, is this the first episode with Starlight that didn't involve Twilight at all? It's interesting how Pinkie and Twilight can actually act in pretty similar ways at times.

With Starlight's kite interest... could it be that her cutie mark actually represents a kite? I liked that she and Maud bonded over rocks.

It was nice to see the return of the Quarry Eels. I enjoyed the scene where Pinkie made up with Maud. Maud got a pretty sweet place in the end.

I didn't find this episode as hilarious as some of you did, but it was a very enjoyable one.

EDIT: About the Treehouse (Canada) episodes, I hadn't realized that Canada is airing two episodes a week! "The Perfect Pear" is airing the day after "Hard to Say Anything" airs in the US, a five episode difference! Thankfully, this difference won't last, since they're still in the process of actually making the season and aren't that far ahead of the US airing. Again, discussion of the episodes is fine, but it has to be behind spoiler bars and you have to say which episode you're talking about.

As for the episode titles, they look really interesting. Since "Not Asking for Trouble" doesn't have a guess, I'll guess it's about Rainbow Dash promising not to get into a fight and thus everyone choosing that time to bother her.

Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight: O Canada

And completely unrelated, My Little Pony the Movie 2018 RESTRICTED Calendar. The restricted is probably just a hidden character name, but it's funny to think otherwise.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Maud episodes continue to be the best. When Starlight wonders if Maud's messing with her, it zooms in on Maud as she asks "am I?" and the music is all haunting... so good.

Also, Pinkie through a pizza at Derpy's head.

Edit: Oh, and another reference to Starlight's past that weirded her out. This is definitely going to become a thing. Maybe even setting up the story of the season finale.

Nah. some of the writers just think it is funny. Tho I am willing to forgive this one because it was starlight that brought it up.

Tho, we had an episode like this already....and I thought pinkie learned she can't force people to be friends...

Nah. some of the writers just think it is funny. Tho I am willing to forgive this one because it was starlight that brought it up.

Tho, we had an episode like this already....and I thought pinkie learned she can't force people to be friends...

As mentioned before in this thread, most of the time when Starlight's past comes up, it's Starlight herself mentioning it. As an aside, Pinkie telling Maud not to tell anyone about how she helped Starlight makes me think that Starlight's actions still aren't public knowledge.

For the second part, season 2's "A Friend in Deed" with Cranky and season 4's "Maud Pie" are kind of similar in concept, but both episodes involved the relevant characters not becoming friends (if you ignore the very end of the former), while this was about Pinkie getting too involved in a friendship that was naturally forming. It's more like when you have a friend over to play a video game that they're enjoying it fine, but you keep on interjecting to show them how to get past one part or even taking control of the game from them.

EDIT: Also, time to edit my custom Derpibooru filter to hide images from season 7 episode 5+.

Fluttershy episode was fantastic.

Indeed. Also loved the Maud episode yesterday too.

Though, given the content between the past four or five episodes we've had so far in S7, I definitely think there's some merit to that growing fan theory that
this season will start to wrap up the incumbent main cast's character arcs and also feature an ongoing story arc of Starlight building her own Mane 6 to the cast (i.e. Starlight, Trixie, Maud are all shoe-ins for the lineup, and might also include Discord and Thorax too).

Orin GA

As mentioned before in this thread, most of the time when Starlight's past comes up, it's Starlight herself mentioning it. As an aside, Pinkie telling Maud not to tell anyone about how she helped Starlight makes me think that Starlight's actions still aren't public knowledge.

For the second part, season 2's "A Friend in Deed" with Cranky and season 4's "Maud Pie" are kind of similar in concept, but both episodes involved the relevant characters not becoming friends (if you ignore the very end of the former), while this was about Pinkie getting too involved in a friendship that was naturally forming. It's more like when you have a friend over to play a video game that they're enjoying fine, but you keep on interjecting to show them how to get past one part or even taking control of the game from them.

EDIT: Also, time to edit my custom Derpibooru filter to hide images from season 7 episode 5+.

I disagree. I think starlight brought it up twice. And one of those times she was telling trixie what she did. I remember spike doing it twice, i think rainbow twice as well, as well as pinkie. Id have to go back to make sure.

UberTag

I think you guys might be making a mountain out of a molehill with this "ponies keep bringing up Starlight Glimmer's evil past so it must be leading to something important" theory.

I do like the idea of her building up her own counterpart Mane 6 group but that won't work either if it's just Starlight and Friends of Starlight. We'll need to see interactions between the other ponies and not just have them engage one-on-one with Starlight. Trixie and Maud should hang out and not just be tied to one another through Glimmer. And building up enough of those connections will take time. She also needs one more Earth Pony and two more Pegasi to fill out her team. What's Lightning Dust up to these days?

I did enjoy seeing her brief non-speaking cameo appearance in Fluttershy Leans In. This weekend's been a big step forward in terms of integrating Starlight Glimmer with the regular Ponyville routine.

"Rock Solid Friendship" was alright, but man was Pinkie Pie grating. It was so much more interesting to just watch Starlight and Maud hangout, and both were getting some great bits of development/general character rounding, and then Pinkie would show up and just shit on everything.

I guess it was supposed to be funny, and to some it probably was, but I wanted Maud or Starlight to tell her off so they could hang.

Because there were some genuinely nice moments. Just none of them involved Pinkie Pie.

Edit: Did two episodes come out this weekend?

"Rock Solid Friendship" was alright, but man was Pinkie Pie grating. It was so much more interesting to just watch Starlight and Maud hangout, and both were getting some great bits of development/general character rounding, and then Pinkie would show up and just shit on everything.

I guess it was supposed to be funny, and to some it probably was, but I wanted Maud or Starlight to tell her off so they could hang.

Because there were some genuinely nice moments. Just none of them involved Pinkie Pie.

Edit: Did two episodes come out this weekend?

Canada is airing the first half of the season early, with two episodes each weekend.
1424338__safe_forever%252Bfilly_hard%252Bto%252Bsay%252Banything_parental%252Bglideance_spoiler-colon-s07e06_spoiler-colon-s07e07_spoiler-colon-s07e08_spoiler-colon-s07e09.png

Discussion of those episodes should be behind spoiler bars until they air in the US.

UberTag

This thread's going to be nothing but spoiler bars in the coming weeks thanks to Treehouse TV cranking through all these episodes before June.

Fluttershy Leans In:
This was a very nice episode and really shows how Fluttershy has developed as a character. The right choices were made, and had a satisfying ending.

I'm surprised the episodes are even completed to be aired at this pace.

Big Jim mentioned that they complete episodes eight week ahead of the US airing. So right now, they would have episode 12 and maybe 13 complete. It's possible that Treehouse will just keep airing episodes until there aren't any more ready, in which case they'd air up to episode 19 (when the US would be at episode 11), but it's more likely that they'll stop at episode 13.

DemWalls

Didn't really like Fluttershy Leans In. Aggressively mediocre, especially coming from Saturday's great episode. Just appreciated some little touches here and there.

PaulloDEC

This thread's going to be nothing but spoiler bars in the coming weeks thanks to Treehouse TV cranking through all these episodes before June.

And right on cue, thoughts on Fluttershy Leans In:

Didn't do an awful lot for me. Some nice character moments (and does a good job of showing how Fluttershy has grown over the seasons) but as a story it didn't feel all that substantial to me. Pretty light on laughs, surprises and interesting ideas too, which doesn't leave a lot.

Didn't really like Fluttershy Leans In. Aggressively mediocre, especially coming from Saturday's great episode. Just appreciated some little touches here and there.

Mmm, I think I'd agree with that. I hate to say it, but if there's an episode I'm reminded of right now, it's Applejack's Day Off.

Fluttershy Leans In feels like it should've been 11 minutes instead of 22. Pretty much every scene and sequence felt like it was twice as long as it should've been.
The whole opening where Fluttershy was trying to get into the vet building and it was taking forever for her to open the door I'm just like WTF IS HAPPENING

PaulloDEC

Oh, I hadn't looked at my Bingo card this season yet. Ticking off "Brand new location", "Pinkie Pie cries" and "Underground adventure" for Saturday's episode.

Fluttershy Leans In feels like it should've been 11 minutes instead of 22. Pretty much every scene and sequence felt like it was twice as long as it should've been.
The whole opening where Fluttershy was trying to get into the vet building and it was taking forever for her to open the door I'm just like WTF IS HAPPENING

Yeah, too little story spread over too many minutes, which means every other scene just feels like treading water.

If you would've told me the entire story of Fluttershy Leans In – that Fluttershy wants to build a sanctuary for animals because the vet is overcrowded, she hires a couple ponies, those ponies are fuck-ups so she hires a different pony to complete it, I would've said "oh, cool that MLP is experimenting with 11 minute format."

Fluttershy's episode today was ok? The whole thing was competently done and well-written but the stakes were so low that it was hard for me to be fully invested in it. Berrow's strengths of extremely strong characterization and timely and interesting callbacks to previous episodes (She's probably the biggest fan of the show among the writers. She knows so much about the show and its characters) were definitely present here. I even enjoyed the 3 new characters that she created for the episode from what we got to see of them. But the whole episode was kinda boring for me. A very predictable plot and not a whole lot of jokes or standout moments made the episode feel kinda unmemorable to me. Also the whole point of the episode (showing that Fluttershy has grown as a person and is capable of sticking up for what she believes in) is something that has to a degree already been covered in various forms in other episodes. Frankly if this episode was about anyone other then Fluttershy I don't think people would really care since it would just be someone acting the way they normally do. Some good moments for Fluttershy and very well-written, but overall it doesn't leave a strong impression one way or the other for me, and I think it will likely be one of the more forgettable episodes this season.

Also to side with Paullo I was getting some AJ's Day Off vibes too. That episode had a similar issue with the main conflict not being particularly interesting and the episode generally being kinda boring because of it. (That being said Day Off is far worse because it has that on top of AJ's character assassination)

That being said, this has still been a very strong start to the season so far. We've had 1 god-tier episode, 2 great episodes, and 2 alright ones. Next up is Forever Filly when it airs out-of-order on Treehouse next weekend, who we probably won't know the writer of until the episode actually airs since they usually reveal that a week out of its official release date. It's a Sweetie Belle + Rarity episode which have been golden so far so I have high hopes for that one.

My thoughts on the whole Alt Mane 6 thing: I think that Maud and Trixie playing a larger part in the story and becoming friends with Starlight is more indicative of the show writers wanting to have more episodes based around secondary characters going forward rather then a concentrated effort to create another Mane 6. Given the amount of pushback the show has received from Starlight and friends saving the day in the season 6 finale (most of it is an extremely vocal minority but the group does exist) I feel like the idea of another group coming along and being extremely similar to the Mane 6 won't sit right with a lot of people. It's an extremely radical change and I don't think it's a particularly necessary one either. I wouldn't be surprised to see a downplaying of the Mane 6's importance in the grand scheme of things and seeing someone else getting delegated to take care of major threats to Equestria (although I think in general the show has been moving away from major world-scale threats ever since Tirek) but outright creating a replacement for them I think is out of the question at this point. Furthermore I think one of the big problems with a lot of the new characters have had is that many of them don't have any real relationships with the Mane 6 outside of maybe one character, which might risk causing a divide that leads to two major groups forming with little interaction between the two. Sunburst is only friends with Starlight, Trixie is friends with Starlight and has a rivalry with Twilight, and Maud is sisters with Pinkie and friends with Starlight. Hell Starlight is the character connecting everyone together and even she has only really spent a decent amount of time with Twilight and Spike. I believe the show should be trying to expand the current lineup of mainstay characters, not create a second group that barely interacts with the first.

PaulloDEC

Which Brand New Location? Ghastly Gorge has been seen before.

Unknown Rock University location was my prime candidate for that, though Spectacular Newly Discovered Crystal Cavern (aka Maud's new joint) was a possible runner-up.

Also to side with Paullo I was getting some AJ's Day Off vibes too. That episode had a similar issue with the main conflict not being particularly interesting and the episode generally being kinda boring because of it. (That being said Day Off is far worse because it has that on top of AJ's character assassination)

Yup, "Day Off" is definitely the worse of the two. As you say, the only crime "Fluttershy Leans In" really commits is to just be kinda uninvolving, whereas "Day Off" is flat-out stupid.

"Rock Solid Friendship" follow up post. Even if I break down and watch one of the early Canadian airings, I won't make a follow up post for an episode until after it airs on Discovery Family.

PREVIOUS EPISODES
In case you missed it, I have more "Best Friends Until the End of Time" remixes in this post.

Twiley is BAE
Whammy Rush
No Flurry! I'm busy now! - Text translates to Twilight talking to Pinkie about Cheerilee's favorite food.
TwileyisBAEbyXDuskStarX1493071057860.png
whammy_rush_by_jowybean-db7bghe.png
NoFlurryImbusynowbyHaden23751493592855826.png

Tasty cupcakes
A teddybear for Flurry
Pinkie paper pile
Ponty Flurry gif
small.png
thumb.png
small.jpeg
small.gif

Comics
Flurry Heart simulator - Not directly connected with the episode, but it was made to tie in with it
Narrated By - Cute Twilight and Spike comic

NOTES
Hah, I just realized that when it showed Maud in bed, she was wearing curlers in her hair. Perhaps she actually wants hair more like Pinkie's.

With Maud's full name being revealed to be Maudalina Daisy Pie, some people are suggesting that like how fans use Pinkamina to refer to Pinkie's straight-haired version, Maudalina could be a curly haired Pinkie-like Maud.

Big Jim revealed that they planted kites in Starlight's room in the season 6 finale in preparation for this episode.
As seen here
small.png

SCREENCAPS
Maud's graduation outfit
Marble and Limestone neutral
Marble and Limestone surprised by Pinkie
Pinkie imitating Maud (embedded)
Our Town in progress
Maud the most expressive she's ever been after Pinkie pushes her (embedded)
Happy Starlight kiting (embedded)
Pizza Pie
Back of Pizza Pie's outfit
The cave
Out of context Pies in bed
Maud in the eel's mouth
Note that the eel spit changes Maud and Pinkie's hair colors (embedded)
Long live the king
Maud's home
vlcsnap-00012.jpg
vlcsnap-00045.jpg
vlcsnap-00050.jpg
vlcsnap-00100.jpg

YouTube captions
YouTube adding shipping
YouTube adding shipping 2
Though Maud has odd taste

GIFS
Pie sister hug
Pinkie excited at Maud's graduation (embedded)
Pie parents at graduation
Pinkie coughing up a pencil
Pinkie bringing a Lyra rock
Pinkie warning Lyra
Bon Bon taking Lyra (embedded)
Deflating Pinkie
Pinkie excited about Maud and Starlight
Maud's intense reaction to being pushed
Pinkie hoofy kicks
Pinkie throwing a pizza at Derpy (embedded)
Edit of above with unstable Derpy
Breaking Bad pizza edit
Maud subtle smile 1
Pinkie and Maud go to bed, looks like something else out of context
Clap lights
Pinkie alarm clock
Sad Starlight in bed
Starlight going back to sleep
Maud subtle smile 2 (embedded)

thumb.gif
1424586__safe_screencap_bon%252Bbon_lyra%252Bheartstrings_maud%252Bpie_pinkie%252Bpie_sweetie%252Bdrops_rock%252Bsolid%252Bfriendship_spoiler-colon-s07e04_animated_bon%252Bbon%252Bis%252Bnot%252B.gif
1425118__safe_edit_screencap_derpy%252Bhooves_pinkie%252Bpie_rock%252Bsolid%252Bfriendship_spoiler-colon-s07e04_abuse_animated_derpybuse_pizza%252Bbox.gif
1424930__safe_screencap_maud%252Bpie_starlight%252Bglimmer_rock%252Bsolid%252Bfriendship_spoiler-colon-s07e04_animated_earth%252Bpony_eyes%252Bon%252Bthe%252Bprize_out%252Bof%252Bcontext_plot.gif

FANWORKS
Rock Friend - Made two weeks ago! Talk about foresight! See the full version to read the text
Trixie joins in on the kiting - See the full version to read the text
Limestone Pie's Return - Translation embedded
We got each other
small.png
small.png
small.jpeg
thumb.png

Maud the Miner
Free Pizza
Photo Time
MaudtheMinerbymysticalpha1493500468335.jpg
FreePizzabyACwhiteraven1493592856653.png
PhotoTimebyColdbrewCoffee1493592858004.png

Kites
I wanna rock
Maudelina Daisy Pie's new digs
KitesbyBronyCooper1493592858287.png
IwannarockPicoftheweekMLPS7E4byJonFawkes1493592859222.jpg
MaudelinaDaisyPiesnewdigsbyRaikohillust1493592855533.jpg

New Friend
Maud and Glimglam
You're a Rock, Lyra
Rock Solid Grotto - Made surprisingly soon after the episode aired
NewFriendbyAsikaAida1493592855609.png
MaudAndGlimglambyReiDuran1493592856011.png
YoureaRockLyrabylachlan7651493592856124.png
RockSolidGrottobyAssasinMonkey1493592855462.png

Comics
Kites! God I love kites!
Common Rock
Slaves With Benefits

Lots of stuff to react to with that:
* A Celestia and Luna episode!
* But it involves them arguing, just like the comics.
* The use of the phrase "friendship problem" implies the Cutie Map is sending Starlight on a mission, so that's the first non Main Six one.
* Starlight is OP.
* Glad they haven't forgotten that Starlight was introduced with the ability to move cutie marks around.

Orin GA

Hmm...if luna is gonna take over celestias duties and vice versa this should be fun. I think there was a comic with a similar plot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Synopsis for A Royal Problem.

Capture.PNG

Yeah that sounds like an unorigional piece of garbage to cram Starlight down people's throats.

Continue the tradition of showing Celestia and Luna as incapable of solving anything themselves, and yet another squabbling sisters story.

It sounds terrible and I have no doubts it's a real synopsis. And Starlight was starting to grow on me. But this... This is crap.

Said a while ago I didn't really want episodes like this because I don't trust the writing team. Well, I was right.

I can already hear someone screaming...

Annnnnd....

Yeah that sounds like an unorigional piece of garbage to cram Starlight down people's throats.

Continue the tradition of showing Celestia and Luna as incapable of solving anything themselves, and yet another squabbling sisters story.

It sounds terrible and I have no doubts it's a real synopsis. And Starlight was starting to grow on me. But this... This is crap.

Said a while ago I didn't really want episodes like this because I don't trust the writing team. Well, I was right.

Here we go

In all seriousness, this has to be a Lewis + Songco episode right? People have been clamoring for a Celestia episode since season 1 and they've only been giving Glimmer episodes to the best writers on the staff, so given that Nick and Vogel aren't available now I feel like Lewis + Songco are the most likely candidates because they're the best team that they have left. This seems like far too important of an episode to hand off to a less experienced and unproven writer.

On-topic this would likely indicate that the map is sending Starlight on missions as well now which I feel was kinda a matter of time. I'm actually surprised at just how much of her we've been seeing this season so far. She's been in 4 of the 5 episodes so far, compared to being in 10 of 26 last season, and with this episode and her likely at least making a cameo appearance in Hard to Say Anything which will prominently feature Sugar Belle, one of the villagers from her old town, she's already going to have been in at least 6 before the halfway point of the season. They're definitely doubling down on her character so those thinking that she would be written out of the show I think are probably going to be disappointed. And this again reinforces what I've been saying with the show writers trying to give some more attention to the secondary cast of the show over the Mane 6. Although as much as I love Starlight I wish that she wasn't always the person that these secondary characters are getting to know.

Lastly it sounds like a really fun episode idea. I feel like Celestia and Luna's personalities are going to clash hard with people's headcannons in this one but barring that I think it sounds like a nice romp with lots of fun character interactions which are the show's bread and butter. Also I really hope Spike ends up tagging along.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Annnnnd....

Here we go

Sorry I can't get excited for an episode where the two are once again shown to be totally useless. An episode where the only pony who can help them is starlight. And episode where the bratty sisters story is being used again.

This isn't a synopsis telling me that after people asked for one, they're finally putting their all into a Celestia and Luna episode. This is the writers saying "we don't want to write for these characters, so here's a crappy episode so you know not to ask for one again".

Would love to know who decided that Celestia and Luna are forbidden from being shown as competent leaders.

draetenth

I'm willing to give the episode a chance, but... I'm leaning towards this (although I'm indifferent to Starlight and my opinion hasn't changed for better or worse). I agree with DrForester. Why must the royal sisters almost always be portrayed as incompetent or involved in squabbling sisters stories? It makes me wonder how Celestia survived as ruler before Twilight showed up... because you would think someone ruling for 1000+ years would be a little more... impressive.

Since the last one was popular, more CENSORED Pony episodes.
A Flurry of Emotions
Rock Solid Friends

The second one works better, I feel. Mind the thumbnail of the first.

Interview with Bobby Curnow about Legends of Magic. Of note, while we knew before that some of the characters will be mentioned in the current season, he confirms that some of the historical figures are original to the comic. At least the first six issues are all standalone, but the present day bookends with Sunburst will advance a story that might lead to something after that. There is an overall plan for the first year, with potential to expand it past that if the series is successful.

I usually just post these in the Community thread, but the new DRWolf therapy video, Maud's Therapy Visit, released the day before "Rock Solid Friendship", was oddly prescient of that episode. It works surprisingly well as a prequel.

Sorry I can't get excited for an episode where the two are once again shown to be totally useless. An episode where the only pony who can help them is starlight. And episode where the bratty sisters story is being used again.

This isn't a synopsis telling me that after people asked for one, they're finally putting their all into a Celestia and Luna episode. This is the writers saying "we don't want to write for these characters, so here's a crappy episode so you know not to ask for one again".

Would love to know who decided that Celestia and Luna are forbidden from being shown as competent leaders.

Umm did I miss an episode? Aside from a one-off joke in Slice of Life I don't ever remember remember any sort "bratty sisters" dynamic between them. Unless you're taking about the comics which are basically professional fanfiction given that they're written by an entire different team of people from the show and frequently feature continuity errors and people breaking character. And at what point is there an indication that the princesses will be entirely useless? I feel like you just read the synopsis, saw that Starlight was in it, and assumed the worst.

And I can think of a ton of opportunities for character development for this episode which further makes me think that you're just making a snap judgement based entirely on Starlight's presence in the episode. Luna feeling like she wasn't appreciated was THE reason why she became Nightmare Moon in the first place, and I could totally see that she might be running into the same issues now still but might not feel comfortable talking about it. I would be surprised if that wasn't one of the major issues that springs up in the episode since it's such an obvious time to talk about it, and the writers currently seem to be focusing a lot more on adding character development for people that haven't gotten it before. (Trixie, Maud, and Celestia herself have all gotten fleshed out in season 7 already) Personally I've found that the character arcs that they have been putting out from season 6 on have been stellar so far, and I feel like the writers know how much an episode like this will mean to the people that watch the show. I have decently high faith that an episode like this can work out extremely well and think that the staff is talented enough to pull it off.

Also a lot of the early blurbs for episodes are extremely misleading. The one for All Bottled up made it sound like Starlight lost the map and didn't mention Trixie at all. The one for Rock Solid Friendship made it sound like Pinkie was trying to convince Maud that friendship was important and didn't mention Starlight either. Making snap judgements on an entire episode's quality based off one seems a little premature.

In other news, the same people that gave the blurb about Royal Problem also gave one for the episode after, Not Asking for Trouble

Capture.PNG

Nothing super exciting. Sounds like something that a newer writer could tackle to cut their teeth on. It's going to be really interesting to see how they stretch that premise out to 22 minutes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Umm did I miss an episode? Aside from a one-off joke in Slice of Life I don't ever remember remember any sort "bratty sisters" dynamic between them. Unless you're taking about the comics which are basically professional fanfiction given that they're written by an entire different team of people from the show and frequently feature continuity errors and people breaking character. And at what point is there an indication that the princesses will be entirely useless? I feel like you just read the synopsis, saw that Starlight was in it, and assumed the worst.

And I can think of a ton of opportunities for character development for this episode which further makes me think that you're just making a snap judgement based entirely on Starlight's presence in the episode. Luna feeling like she wasn't appreciated was THE reason why she became Nightmare Moon in the first place, and I could totally see that she might be running into the same issues now still but might not feel comfortable talking about it. I would be surprised if that wasn't one of the major issues that springs up in the episode since it's such an obvious time to talk about it, and the writers currently seem to be focusing a lot more on adding character development for people that haven't gotten it before. (Trixie, Maud, and Celestia herself have all gotten fleshed out in season 7 already) Personally I've found that the character arcs that they have been putting out from season 6 on have been stellar so far, and I feel like the writers know how much an episode like this will mean to the people that watch the show. I have decently high faith that an episode like this can work out extremely well and think that the staff is talented enough to pull it off.

Also a lot of the early blurbs for episodes are extremely misleading. The one for All Bottled up made it sound like Starlight lost the map and didn't mention Trixie at all. The one for Rock Solid Friendship made it sound like Pinkie was trying to convince Maud that friendship was important and didn't mention Starlight either. Making snap judgements on an entire episode's quality based off one seems a little premature.

Celestial and Luna are shown as weak and helpless every time danger comes to Equestria. It would be nice to have an episode that shows that can at least handle personal issues instead of "oh, they're totally inept at personal matters too". We finally get an episode about the two, and it's not them finally getting to solve a proble. No, it's that they are the problem.

It would be bad even if their only hope of salvation wasn't the writers pet. That's just the lousy icing on top.

"A Royal Problem" synopsis confirmed by Zap2It, so it's safe to assume that the "Not Asking for Trouble" synopsis is real.

And we have more episode titles from Canada:
15. Fame and Misfortune
16. Triple Threat
17. Campfire Tales

I guess Treehouse really is going "fuck it" and airing everything they can. I previously estimated that this would only be possible up to episode 19, whereupon it would be eight episodes ahead of the US airing. After that point, I'm not sure if they'll just air new episodes whenever they come in or what.

Given how huge a gap this is, and that Canadian episodes will be airing at the same time as US episodes, we really need to be clear about how to handle episode discussions and spoilers.
* When you talk about an episode that hasn't aired in the US yet, use spoiler bars, and mark which episode you're talking about. I think it's fine to leave your overall thoughts about the episode outside of spoiler tags, but details like whether it has a song should be behind spoiler tags. Remember that even commenting on a US airing by writing, "I wasn't a fan of Starlight jokingly wearing Celestia's crown. SEASON FINALE SPOILERS:
It foreshadows how she takes over as Princess of the Sun.
" says a lot.
* Keep in mind what episodes have aired in the US and what haven't! I've seen instances in other threads of people half-remembering what happened in the episode, not rewatching the episode, and for the "rewatch" discussion, bringing up stuff that doesn't actually happen until later.

In other news, the anchors of NBC's The Today Show ponified for some reason. They claim it's from "their friends at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", so maybe it's official promotion for the season? Anyway, it's short and cute.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
End of the shadowlock comic arc was pretty underwhelming. 3 arc story to build up.... a photo of a bad guy.

Previews for Legends of Magic 2 looks great though. So does the other tie in comic, Angel in Charge, which is a story happening parallel to Fluttershy Leans In.

Friendship is Magic #53 - End of Shadow Lock arc
The idea of someone learning about an evil figure, and then literally starting to see that evil figure mentioned in every book he reads, is pretty interesting, though it was just used as backstory here. Image source.
medium.png

The villain depicted in the picture (another picture) is definitely not the Storm King from the movie, so unless the movie involves the Storm King trying to summon this guy, he's probably going to be in the season 7 finale. I'm not a fan of how this season 7 tie in was handled, with Twilight not even learning anything about the villain other than the fact that one exists. Since it's very unlikely that Shadow Lock will appear in season 7, this story doesn't mean anything for when the villain actually appears.

I thought the scenes with everyone breaking history were fun, though it was effectively just to pad out time, since Twilight didn't even realize she was in more danger than she thought until after her friends had gotten to her and Shadow Lock was already talked down.

Overall, this story arc was fun, but a lot of it felt disjointed and pointless. It definitely could have just been a two parter without losing much. The arc didn't benefit much from apparently tying into the season 7 finale, and I doubt the finale benefits from this story.

Silver Quill's review, since I've usually been linking them, but I don't think there's much additional insight this time.

New episode synopses:

Episode 11: Not Asking for Trouble (CONFIRMED)
Pinkie Pie visits Prince Rutherford and the Yaks. While there an avalanche falls on the entire rustic village of Yakyakistan. Pinkie Pie suggests that she go to get the other ponies to help but the proud Prince and Yaks refuse.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...-asking-for-trouble/EP013304160172?aid=zap2it

Episode 12: Discordant Harmony
When Discord invites Fluttershy to his realm for tea, he worries she won't be comfortable there and begins to change it and himself with disastrous results.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...-discordant-harmony/EP013304160173?aid=zap2it

Episode 13: The Perfect Pear
The Apple Siblings learn about their parent's love story and find out that they're half Pear.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...ic-the-perfect-pear/EP013304160174?aid=zap2it

Episode 14: Fame and Misfortune
Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...fame-and-misfortune/EP013304160175?aid=zap2it

Episode 15: Triple Threat
Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day. He's sure the two new leaders are not going to get along so he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...magic-triple-threat/EP013304160176?aid=zap2it

New episode synopses:

Episode 11: Not Asking for Trouble (CONFIRMED)
Pinkie Pie visits Prince Rutherford and the Yaks. While there an avalanche falls on the entire rustic village of Yakyakistan. Pinkie Pie suggests that she go to get the other ponies to help but the proud Prince and Yaks refuse.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...-asking-for-trouble/EP013304160172?aid=zap2it

Episode 12: Discordant Harmony
When Discord invites Fluttershy to his realm for tea, he worries she won't be comfortable there and begins to change it and himself with disastrous results.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...-discordant-harmony/EP013304160173?aid=zap2it

Episode 13: The Perfect Pear
The Apple Siblings learn about their parent's love story and find out that they're half Pear.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...ic-the-perfect-pear/EP013304160174?aid=zap2it

Episode 14: Fame and Misfortune
Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...fame-and-misfortune/EP013304160175?aid=zap2it

Episode 15: Triple Threat
Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day. He's sure the two new leaders are not going to get along so he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-...magic-triple-threat/EP013304160176?aid=zap2it

Okay, that Discord+Fluttershy episode sounds like fun.

"Fame and Misfortune" sounds great, combining two popular fan concepts: the Friendship Journal being published (nice to see it wasn't forgotten, BTW), and the girls themselves arguing about who has the better lessons.

"Triple Threat" is a variation of the two dates at once story, but it's understandable if Spike didn't realize the changelings and dragons hate each other until after he set things up. Still, it will be really interesting to see them in Ponyville.

Oh, and no mid season break confirmed! If the US had one and Canada didn't, things would have gotten even messier than they are.

EDIT: Oh wait, those listings are for the Canadian airings? Never mind then.

In addition to the episodes with the brief descriptions already posted, several more episodes have had their titles revealed:

Episode 17: Campfire Tales (Hoping it's a framing device for a bunch of unconnected stories told around a campfire. Might be a Halloween episode?)
Episode 18: Daring Done (Daring Do retiring? This setup sound similar conceptually to Tanks for the Memories)
Episode 19: A Health of Information (Could really be about anything health-related which doesn't narrow it down)
Episode 20: To Change a Changeling (I'm going to guess that this episode is going to be based on some of the transformed changelings struggling to figure out what their new purpose in the world is and not a Chrysalis reformation episode)
Episode 21: It Isn't the Mane Thing About You (Not much to go off of besides it likely to do with manes, so probably involving Rarity. The Mane Attraction had nothing to do with manes though so it really could be anything)
Episode 22: Once Upon a Zeppelin (Involves a Zeppelin, that's about all you can safely guess)

For episodes that have more info"

Discordant Harmony: Interesting idea, although I could see it being really good or really bad very easily.

The Perfect Pear: Sounds like they're still going to be feeding the theory that AJ's parents are dead since it sounds like they aren't actually going to be in the episode.

Fame and Misfortune: I can easily understand Rainbow, Rarity, and to an extent AJ caring about this kind of thing, but most the other ones I feel wouldn't care strongly about it. Has potential for being good but right now I'm leaning on it being not as strong. Will have to actually see the episode to really get an idea.

Triple Threat: Glad to see Ember come back in an episode where she's a leading character. I hope they can flesh out Thorax a bit better in this episode. I've always been apathetic towards him as I feel like he never has any agency in his stories and doesn't have much of a personality besides being a generic nice guy, so this is golden opportunity to help with that. Also I feel like Twilight and Starlight might be rubbing off on Spike

Some good and not as good ideas for episodes so far. As always it's really going to be up to how it's executed to determine whether or not they end up good. One thing worth mentioning is that there aren't any obvious map episodes so far besides the Starlight princesses one, and so far each of the mane 6 has had a map episode in each season since it was introduced. That being said Season 6 had it's map episodes at 12, 20, and 24 so just because we haven't seen any yet doesn't mean that there aren't going to be any. I think it's likely one or several of the episodes we only have titles for is going to be a map episode. (My bets are Health of Information and Once Upon a Zeppelin)

Looking at the description of "Fame and Misfortune" again, it's ambiguous about whether it's the main six arguing amongst themselves, or others arguing about who's best pony.

Also, I'm expecting "Once Upon a Zeppelin" to be another not!murder mystery.

EDIT: At this point, I think Treehouse is just scheduling episodes without any regard to whether the episodes will actually be complete by then or not.

EDIT: Silver Quill's overview of the comic From the Shadows arc. I did find it refreshing how Twilight defeated Shadow Lock by talking him down, and that it wasn't the only possible way to have defeated him. It's all well and good that Starlight defeated Accord by talking to him, since that was the only possible option, but it's good that Twilight repeatedly chose talking to him when other options were available. And even if they weren't necessary to stop Shadow Lock, it was nice that the other Main Six had stuff to do.

So the company that releases a bunch of DVDs for MLP just gave some info on the 3 upcoming EQG 22 minute episodes that are coming out. Here's the descriptions provided:

DANCE MAGIC
When Rarity finds out about a music video competition, she's eager to convince her friends at Canterlot High to enter the contest. The girls soon learn that Crystal Prep Academy are also interested in participating in the contest. The students at CPA have many more resources and are better dancers! Will thye be able to pull together and make a winning music video?

MOVIE MAGIC
The Equestria Girls have been specially invited by A.K. Yearling to go on the set of the upcoming Daring Do movie and they are overjoyed. For super-fan Rainbow Dash, watching behind the scenes as her favorite heroine comes to life is a dream come true. But when a rare and important prop from the set goes missing, putting the movie on hold, Rainbow Dash's dream becomes a nightmare.

MIRROR MAGIC
As the pages in her journal run out, there's only one thing for Sunset Shimmer toj do: return to Equestria to get a new journal! There, she meets Starlight Glimmer and agrees to bring her back to experience life at Canterlot High. But while Sunset Shimmer was away, a revenge-seeking Juniper Montage finds a beautiful hand mirror enchanted with Equestrian magic. Not only can it provide a window into another land, but if you push the right button, it can also make things disappear into limbo, trapped between the two realms!

So the first two episodes are kinda what you could have guessed by the small info we have gotten before about them. Standard tween stories that you have kinda grown to expect from the EQG brand. The third one is definitely the most interesting one for most people. As cool as it sounds I have a couple issues. First, there's probably quite a few people that Sunset was close to before she left and whose last memory of her was likely bad, and the thing that causes her to go back is getting a new magic journal? I imagine she's not even going to seek these people out and say hi to them. Secondly, we have 3 pretty major events that are taking place here: Sunset returning to Eqeustria, Starlight going to dougworld and meeting the HuMane 7, and the actual conflict of the episode with Juniper Montage, who looks to be a crystal prep student that I'm guessing wasn't happy about the outcome of the Friendship Games or possibly their music video contest. All 3 of these are taking place in a 22 minute episode and with such a short amount of time I feel like one or more of them are going to end up feeling extremely underdeveloped. (Twilight had almost an entire movie dedicated to adjusting to the differences between the worlds and Starlight is going to get like 10 minutes of that tops) Like all 3 of these concepts could have been fleshed out into a 22 minute episode and here they are fighting for relevance in one episode. I'm not saying that the episode will be awful but I do feel like a lot of potential is going to be missed. The episode kinda reminds me of the first EQG movie which I think suffered quite a bit because they had to spend so much time getting Twilight to dougworld so the actually interesting parts could begin. We shall see how things end up playing out. I'm both a bit excited for the episodes and skeptical as to how they'll turn out.

ED link

Mirror Magic is definitely the biggest news here. I agree that it is weird to have all this in just 22 minutes. In fact, this probably could have been been split up into three specials on its own: one for Sunset returning, one for Starlight coming to Dougworld, and one for Juniper Montage's evil plot. It's a pretty big waste unless everything ties together really well.

Dance Magic is pretty typical stuff. With Movie Magic, I'm surprised that Dash apparently knows AK Yearling in this world too.

On another note, Psychosocial Until the End of Time - "Best Friends Until the End of Time" + "Psychosocial" by Slipknot (a metal band). This mashup works surprisingly well.

Top Bottom