• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) |OT| Big Screen, Small Horse

Estimate from the box office thread.

About to head off to the movie, but ugh, these really negative reviews from YouTube reviewers I like are really bugging me out. Even if I enjoy it, I won't be able to help but analyze how it could have been improved to make it more appealing to a wide audience.

Is that really what Blade Runner is opening to? Man aside from IT it feels like everything is performing under expectations these days. About 9 mill is unfortunately on the lower side but it looks like people just aren't going to the theaters in general right now.

Also one benefit of seeing the movie so early is you can stop caring about how other people perceive the movie since you've already checked it out. I'm too focused on all the leaked MLP episodes now. And as I said before the show's appeal is really hard to really get across in the span of 99 minutes. I feel like the best they could do is keep the movie accessible to people familiar with the show and they did a decent job of that.

Just watched it, and I enjoyed it. By the time I started, I had completely gotten over the concerns I expressed above and just allowed it to sink in.

As a reminder, we decided to drop spoiler tags starting today, so I won't use any.

It turns out all the reserved seats I mentioned before were actually for large groups of kids; birthday party, perhaps? Every seat besides the very front row was taken up. As far as I can tell, I was the only adult that wasn't a parent. That said, the audience was really well behaved. I was really happy when the kids movie trailers played and no one laughed at any of the dumb jokes. Really, the most annoying person was the mother sitting next to me, who audibly went, "Aww," and, "Oh no," at several moments.

The Hanazuki short was a lot of fun! It was really neat seeing how the animation and art style are improved from the web series. I kind of think including Little Dreamer was a mistake; that by far would have been the most baffling part for someone unfamiliar with the series.

The songs were pretty good, though the only songs that are sticking right now are the ones I heard clips of before: "We Got This Together", "Time to Be Awesome", and "Rainbow". Looking forward to the remixes!

I thought Twilight trying to steal the pearl and snapping at Pinkie were handled well, and it does evoke what we've seen in "A Canterlot Wedding".

The new characters were all alright, but they all turned good pretty easily. I'd be really excited to see them in the show, but if this is all we're getting, then I'm not sure they were worth including over more time for the main characters.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. The movie makes barely any effort to show how great the main characters are, so if you don't already like them, you're just left with, "That annoying pink one," etc. We really just get little moments from everyone, not big standout moments, even with Twilight.

It's biggest failing is just how unambitious it is compared to the show's two-parters. While Tempest was alright, and Storm King was entertaining enough, the latter was lame as a villain. Really lame. And he went down so easily! Let's compare to two of the season finales.

small.gif
small.gif
small.gif

small.gif
small.gif
small.gif

And Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks still holds the title of hypest climax of the franchise, even if I'm still not a huge fan of that movie. Compared to the Equestria Girls movies, EQG is better about character moments, but the Movie has less things I outright dislike.

I noticed some moments were in the trailers that weren't in the movie, like Tempest getting angry at a grunt that was wearing nail polish. Plus, they don't explain at all how everyone got off the island and back to Canterlot. That's pretty unusual for a 2D movie like this.

Oh, and here's my bingo card. I never got around to finishing the rest of the images, and I don't feel like doing so.
cAYiC3wl.png

I was really banking on a big scene where all the other ponies join in on the fight, like... well, let me just quote myself from earlier in the thread without spoiler tags.
From DrForester's post, the biggest bummer I've heard about this movie is that the other ponies don't join in the fight against the underlings at the end. That's like half my bingo spaces!

I was imagining things like them seeing Starlight and some other ponies in cages and Applejack says, "If we need firepower, I know the first pony we're rescuing." Then Pinkie rushes over, and comes back with Granny Smith, and Applejack says, "What? No, not her! No offense, Granny."

Flim and Flam pulling out a new Super Speedy Cider Squeezy and sucking up bad guys. Trixie putting on a magic show with Starlight as her assistant, until Starlight gets bored and blasts them all. Filthy Rich shooting high pressure gold coins out a fire hose, which only draws more enemies to him. Vinyl and Octavia blasting shockwaves. That sort of thing.

It's pretty clear that they really simplified things in order to make is accessible for new audiences. Besides the story, this is demonstrated with things like how Twilight doesn't use any magic at all besides telekinesis and energy blasts. She didn't even teleport, and that's her thing! Plus, no Kung Fu Rarity or Fluttershy wrecking people with "massages". But I think by doing this, they missed the forest for the trees, and forgot to demonstrate how interesting the world of FiM is.

Probably a bit too much, and super fan-ficy, but it would have been cool as hell if, when the Storm King appeared in person, we saw a cotton candy cloud float by, then things get crazier in the throne room, and we see Discord lying down in the air, taunting the Storm King. They exchange quips and Discord fires a blast at Storm King. It does nothing, and Discord says, "*goofy* Ohoho, an anti-magic field! *sinister* How cute." Then he snaps his fingers and floods the room with pudding, drowning the guards (they're shown to be fine after). Storm King spins his staff and gets out, and uses some devices that give Discord a bit of trouble. But then Discord teleports himself out of a bind and is back to relaxing. He says, "Rest easy, Princess. He isn't worth my effort. I have absolute confidence you ponies can handle this on your own. You were able to beat me, after all. Ta-ta!" and leaves.

Overall, it's a good enough movie, but I can't say I'd recommend it over a good adventure story from the show, nor is it good as an introduction to the show, since it doesn't showcase the main characters well.

As a reminder, we decided to drop spoiler tags starting today, so I won't use any.

Hmm how convenient that the spoiler tags dropped the day that you were planning on seeing it...

<Insert Pinkie being suspicious gif here>

The new characters were all alright, but they all turned good pretty easily. I'd be really excited to see them in the show, but if this is all we're getting, then I'm not sure they were worth including over more time for the main characters.

Pretty much all of their arcs besides Tempest's are either more or less nonexistent (Storm King and Grubber) or are wrapped up within 10 minutes of their introduction. Ironically these characters probably would have had more development in a 22 minute episode dedicated to them then they got in this feature length movie. Said it before but all of the characters I felt had a lot of potential but get so little time devoted to developing them that they don't really live up to it.

It's biggest failing is just how unambitious it is compared to the show's two-parters. While Tempest was alright, and Storm King was entertaining enough, the latter was lame as a villain. Really lame. And he went down so easily!

I feel like the Storm King could have really used one or two scenes where he was allowed to be a badass and threatening. Tempest got a ton of those which is why she was actually threatening but like a lot of the characters he didn't really get a whole lot of screen time and if he did get some threatening scenes I think that he they could have pulled it off.That being said maybe it being a movie changes things but I don't really think the best way of making a cool story is to try and make it as epic as possible. One of the most universally well-received 2-parters from the show was against who was unquestionably the weakest major villain they've faced. I don't think trying to out-epic Tirek is really a good idea anyway.

also the Hanazuki short before was really great. art design and animation were gorgeous, everyone involved with it did a phenomenal job. it was just wonderful to see 2D animation on the big screen with these
I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Regardless of how the MLP movie's reception fares now, six months from now, or a year from now, I'm incredibly pleased that it was able to carve out just a little more space in the almost extinct North American 2D animated film market. DHX did an incredible job extrapolating the visual elements of the show, and I'm glad that Hanazuki got to piggyback off of it and get an opportunity to show what we can do with a few extra dollars, as well.

The Hanazuki short was a lot of fun! It was really neat seeing how the animation and art style are improved from the web series. I kind of think including Little Dreamer was a mistake; that by far would have been the most baffling part for someone unfamiliar with the series.
So Hanazuki is originally based on a dutch fashion/vinyl brand, and it was a bit more... abstract, and Little Dreamer was originally more prominent than even Hanazuki herself. Some of that DNA still exists in the animated show, and so most of the first wave of toys center around Little Dreamer.

I like to think for the short, we made the quirks of the show more approachable to normal people getting introduced to the concept from scratch, but the space baby still had to come down from the heavens and give Hanazuki a gem that grows into a tree.

EDIT: They didn't like the Hanazuki short either.
FFFFFFFFFfffffffff
spot-red-hand-flower-74242-589d7fc8644ab1.60174587.jpeg

It's that baby's fault!

Chat with UberTag (temporarily banned as of post creation) in the Discord channel:

UberTag - Today at 10:21 PM
Glad to see that @SigmasonicX finally caught the movie. I concur with most of your impressions in the GAF OT.
SigmasonicX - Today at 10:23 PM
It was a fun movie, but it didn't do well at showcasing the most appealing parts of the show.
UberTag - Today at 10:25 PM
Not at all. It pretty much conveyed that ponies just need to sing a musical number to befriend anyone new they encounter without effort. And that Twilight Sparkle will apparently try and steal things that aren't hers.(edited)
Errrr... anyone new.
SigmasonicX - Today at 10:25 PM
We should probably move over to the #ponyspoilers channel.

SigmasonicX - Today at 10:29 PM
Continuing our movie conversation, @UberTag , I didn't have a big problem with Twilight deciding she needed to steal the pearl. Though the fallout is abbreviated, she was clearly affected by Capper betraying them, and assumed that Novo had completely given up on trying to fight the Storm King.
UberTag - Today at 10:30 PM
Yeah, they made a basic attempt to justify it given that they were "outside Equestria" but given how they soft-balled the other reactions it still came off as terribly out-of-character.
I have less problem with them employing Pinkie Pie as the de facto leader of the others... 'cause I understand why they heavily promoted her for marketing purposes even if that also felt out of sorts.
SigmasonicX - Today at 10:32 PM
Pinkie was also the leader of the "Core 7" of G3, so there's some history there.
But yeah, from promotions, I was expecting Spike to be the one to pick up the slack.
UberTag - Today at 10:35 PM
The other noticeable issue with the film is that the characterizations felt like they were all early-Season 4 - essentially reversing any and all character development in that time. Fluttershy spent the majority of the movie cowering... she had one good scene total towards the end. Spike still had a very public jealous streak over Rarity. Rainbow Dash didn't seem to be a member of the Wonderbolts. I mean, I expected minimal acknowledgement of Starlight Glimmer and Trixie (their token blink-and-you-miss-it scene just seemed like fan service) but everyone else felt plucked out of 2014 as well.(edited)
SigmasonicX - Today at 10:36 PM
Fluttershy didn't do enough to seem particularly out of character. And it's not like she stopped being timid with strangers.
UberTag - Today at 10:37 PM
That said, I did appreciate the film's production values, the musical set pieces, the voice acting... it served its purpose as a gateway film for new people curious about the franchise. It did very little to win over existing fans outside of that... but I think Hasbro made the correct decision on what audience to target.
SigmasonicX - Today at 10:38 PM
Yeah, the posts from parents that went to see it all said their children enjoyed it. As much as I wanted something bigger than a two parter, perhaps it's better now as a movie actually targeted at little kids.
By the way, do you want to make a review of the movie for me to post in the thread?
UberTag - Today at 10:40 PM
Nah, I'm good as far as a formal review goes but you're more than welcome to share my comments from here.

So Hanazuki is originally based on a dutch fashion/vinyl brand, and it was a bit more... abstract, and Little Dreamer was originally more prominent than even Hanazuki herself. Some of that DNA still exists in the animated show, and so most of the first wave of toys center around Little Dreamer.

I like to think for the short, we made the quirks of the show more approachable to normal people getting introduced to the concept from scratch, but the space baby still had to come down from the heavens and give Hanazuki a gem that grows into a tree.

FFFFFFFFFfffffffff
spot-red-hand-flower-74242-589d7fc8644ab1.60174587.jpeg

It's that baby's fault!

Interesting that you were obligated to include Little Dreamer, and that the legacy of him being the core of the brand still exists.

Brad Jones and that guy with him described the movie as being like being hit on the head with a 20-pound bag of sugar constantly, but at least it wasn't as bad as the short. They thought it was based on a video game.

Probably a bit too much, and super fan-ficy, but it would have been cool as hell if, when the Storm King appeared in person, we saw a cotton candy cloud float by, then things get crazier in the throne room, and we see Discord lying down in the air, taunting the Storm King. They exchange quips and Discord fires a blast at Storm King. It does nothing, and Discord says, "*goofy* Ohoho, an anti-magic field! *sinister* How cute." Then he snaps his fingers and floods the room with pudding, drowning the guards (they're shown to be fine after). Storm King spins his staff and gets out, and uses some devices that give Discord a bit of trouble. But then Discord teleports himself out of a bind and is back to relaxing. He says, "Rest easy, Princess. He isn't worth my effort. I have absolute confidence you ponies can handle this on your own. You were able to beat me, after all. Ta-ta!" and leaves.
Oh my god I love it. Would have been way better than Discord not being present at all despite the fact that he is arguably the most powerful being in Equestria after the princesses and would have been a huge help in this adventure!!

The trouble with that sort of scene with Discord is 3-fold:

1. Especially from someone not familiar with the characters it is really bizarre to introduce a character into the script only for them to go "oh I'm not actually going to do anything" and have no actual purpose in the story aside from just explaining why he's not going to be there.

2. One of the biggest problems with the Storm King is that he wasn't threatening enough. Someone coming along and just saying "lol you're not even worth my time" only makes it even worse.

3. It's actually out of character at this point for him to not help. At this point Discord is willing to do just about anything to protect Fluttershy. Even if the main villain is a chump he's not going to sit around and let someone threaten her or refuse to help her if she asks for it.

Even if they did give Discord a credible reason for not participating there's still shitloads of other people that would have been a massive help that would have been ignored. Such as Starlight, the Dragons, the Changelings, the Griffins, the Yaks. There's the Elements of Harmony and the Rainbow Forms that weren't used either. Hell if this is really supposed to be taking place between season 7 and 8 then that would mean
that Starswirl and Co would also be around somewhere too
. To put things bluntly there's no way they could logistically tie up all of these things easily and at the same time keep things accessible for people that haven't been keeping up with the TV show. The only real way to get around all of the firepower that the ponies have on their side is to either have a scenario where those characters wouldn't be in a position to help anyway (like if knowledge of the event was contained like Cute Map or there were time travel/dimension shenanagins like Cutie Re-Mark) or to just not even acknowledge their existence. Given that the former is obviously not possible in the scenario the only real choice they had was to just ignore all of the characters that would have been able to help. As weird as it was having them not be in the movie at all it would have been way worse if a bunch of completely unestablished characters randomly showed up at the climax of the movie and saved the day.

Yeah, it wouldn't have helped with Storm King's threat level much. I was just thinking that it was a big wasted opportunity to not have some reality warping on the big screen.

What the climax needed was the Storm King turning into a giant elemental beast, like he was originally planned to be. Twilight realizes they need everyone to beat him, and gets on Songbird's stage, where she starts singing. As everyone joins in but Tempest, the Mane Six get a magical girl power up and go to fight the Storm King. Twilight tells Tempest to keep the song going, and after some hesitating, she does, which provides the last boost needed to beat him. So basically, the Rainbow Rocks climax.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The trouble with that sort of scene with Discord is 3-fold:

1. Especially from someone not familiar with the characters it is really bizarre to introduce a character into the script only for them to go "oh I'm not actually going to do anything" and have no actual purpose in the story aside from just explaining why he's not going to be there.

2. One of the biggest problems with the Storm King is that he wasn't threatening enough. Someone coming along and just saying "lol you're not even worth my time" only makes it even worse.

3. It's actually out of character at this point for him to not help. At this point Discord is willing to do just about anything to protect Fluttershy. Even if the main villain is a chump he's not going to sit around and let someone threaten her or refuse to help her if she asks for it.

Even if they did give Discord a credible reason for not participating there's still shitloads of other people that would have been a massive help that would have been ignored. Such as Starlight, the Dragons, the Changelings, the Griffins, the Yaks. There's the Elements of Harmony and the Rainbow Forms that weren't used either. Hell if this is really supposed to be taking place between season 7 and 8 then that would mean
that Starswirl and Co would also be around somewhere too
. To put things bluntly there's no way they could logistically tie up all of these things easily and at the same time keep things accessible for people that haven't been keeping up with the TV show. The only real way to get around all of the firepower that the ponies have on their side is to either have a scenario where those characters wouldn't be in a position to help anyway (like if knowledge of the event was contained like Cute Map or there were time travel/dimension shenanagins like Cutie Re-Mark) or to just not even acknowledge their existence. Given that the former is obviously not possible in the scenario the only real choice they had was to just ignore all of the characters that would have been able to help. As weird as it was having them not be in the movie at all it would have been way worse if a bunch of completely unestablished characters randomly showed up at the climax of the movie and saved the day.

In the end, the creative team decided to keep Discord around and make him a reformed(ish) recurring character. To just ignore him, just like ignoring the power of the other Princesses, just cheapens the lore and the world they created. If those things were problems to telling this story (and they were) this story shouldn't have been told. It was poorly conceived.

In the end, the creative team decided to keep Discord around and make him a reformed(ish) recurring character. To just ignore him, just like ignoring the power of the other Princesses, just cheapens the lore and the world they created. If those things were problems to telling this story (and they were) this story shouldn't have been told. It was poorly conceived.
Yeah. I don't see why there would even be a need to keep the movie accessible to non-fans.

Who even would want to go see "My Little Pony: The Movie" if they don't watch the show?

Ogodei

Most of the problems of the movie come from comparing it to the show. For the fans they deal with too little canon, and for the general movie audience they probably drag in too much canon (like why is Twilight a Princess, why does she look different from the other princesses, who are these other five ponies and why are they her friends, why does she have a dragon?).

Both of these could have been resolved if the movie was a non-canon story that told a broad-strokes story of Twilight Sparkle. Combine bits of the Season 1 opener (introductions for the Mane 6 and Twilight's goal is to become as powerful as Celestia), Season 3 finale (Twilight becomes a Princess via her magic research), and Season 4 finale (Twilight saves the day against the Storm King not by her magic power but because of her friendship) for good measure.

Could've given 25 minutes to each of those three acts and there you go.

I think we're forgetting what we had already determined before the movie came out: theatrical success was probably never a major goal, and they're banking on the home release.

This isn't even a particularly bad box office for a 2D animated film. Disney's most recent theatrical 2D film, Winnie the Pooh 2011, made only $7.8 million on its opening weekend, and that got great reviews!

Most of the problems of the movie come from comparing it to the show. For the fans they deal with too little canon, and for the general movie audience they probably drag in too much canon (like why is Twilight a Princess, why does she look different from the other princesses, who are these other five ponies and why are they her friends, why does she have a dragon?).

Both of these could have been resolved if the movie was a non-canon story that told a broad-strokes story of Twilight Sparkle. Combine bits of the Season 1 opener (introductions for the Mane 6 and Twilight's goal is to become as powerful as Celestia), Season 3 finale (Twilight becomes a Princess via her magic research), and Season 4 finale (Twilight saves the day against the Storm King not by her magic power but because of her friendship) for good measure.

If we're retelling things from the start, the best move would have been to focus solely on Nightmare Moon. Then, when they activate the Elements of Harmony, Twilight becomes a princess. That said, I'm not sure if it would have been better to make the movie an AU. If we see more of the movie characters in specials or even the show, then it would have been worth having it be in continuity.

Just came back from the movie and I enjoyed it! Theater had 2 households enter, plus another 2 people in the very back. I thought I would be the only person that would be in the theater lol.

Anyways, pros and cons.

Pros: Let me start out by saying that the animation was capital “G” gorgeous! I mean some people seem to have had a problem with it being limited, though would keep it mind it was the crew’s first time switching to a new animation style.

The songs were another aspect I had enjoyed.

The voice acting was also top notch and the characters felt true to themselves from the show.

As for the new characters, Tempest Shadow was one of the best characters that I have witnessed.

Cons: I will admit the story did feel pretty rushed.

Didn’t really feel much time was spent on establishing the other new characters. Especially the Storm King, though personally I thought he had it better than Sombra.

The rest are more nitpicks, like questioning where Discord was which probably would have ended the film quick.

Probably the CG as well, though to be fair even Disney Renaissance film used some jarring CG as well.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Don’t expect it’s box office run to get better from here, but I’m glad I was able to watch a new traditionally animated film in theaters after awhile. This film definitely won’t act as a revival of sort, but I commend the crew for going for it. And it’s definitely a film kids will enjoy.

A personal 7.5/10 for me.

Story - 4/10

Characters - 7/10

Songs - 9/10

Animation - 10/10

Yeah. I don't see why there would even be a need to keep the movie accessible to non-fans.

Who even would want to go see "My Little Pony: The Movie" if they don't watch the show?

Why hire a bunch of celebrities and get Sia to do a single to promote a movie and give it a widespread theatrical release if all you're trying to do is just appeal to the base that already exists? The big point of doing a big movie like this is to get attention from non-fans otherwise they would have done another TV movie with a limited theater release like the EQG movies. The movie didn't do a very good job at appealing to people that weren't familiar with the show but I don't think it's stupid to at least try.

If they were going to touch the pilot stuff I would rather that they just remade the pilot. It doesn't do the best job at introducing the series to newcomers and I feel like the story overall is pretty weak. Nightmare Moon could also be made a lot more menacing since it feels like they were afraid of being too evil at the time with her main way of stopping the Mane 6 seeming to be just to inconvenience them. How they'd expand that to 90+ minutes I don't know but I feel like that would be better then telling 3 disjointed stories.

For Box Office it would have been nearly impossible for them to lose money on the movie. It costed 25 Mill tops and has shitloads of merchandising and other stuff to help make back the money from the box office. That being said I don't think that was really what Hasbro was hoping for. This was a big chance to elevate the brand and get more attention then it normally would have, so it getting a fairly modest return is probably a bit disappointing. The good sign is that it does have an 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and an A- on Cinemascore so the people that are watching it are generally enjoying it. The real question is if that's good enough for them to want to make a sequel. I could see them going for a more budgeted version that still uses Toon Boom but doesn't have the celebrity VAs and doesn't get as widespread a theatrical release. They've done a bunch of EQG movies so they're clearly fine with going for TV movies. Alternatively Hasbro REALLY seems like they're dead set on trying to muscle themselves into being one of the big dogs of the Movie industry, and if they are wanting to do that then MLP would be a strong animated property as it already has a collection of fans. Usually studios need one big hit to prove themselves before they start really making money so the first MLP not doing as well isn't that surprising. They could really go any way with it and it depends on where Hasbro wants to take MLP from here.

If they do make a theatrical sequel, I expect they'll do a soft reboot with the marketing, basically pretending that it's the first theatrical movie all over again and not referencing the first one, including by not including a "2" in the title. They probably will have a subtitle of some sort, though.

In retrospect, given the focus on six or seven main characters, instead of a grand adventure story, they should have gone for a story more like "The Return of Harmony", "Magical Mystery Cure", or "The Cutie Re-Mark", where it focuses on a known set of characters going through a weird sci-fi concept. For all its flaws, this is exactly what Equestria Girls did, with its dimensional travel yet still focusing on the same known characters, albeit alternative versions of most.

It would still have to be something that looked good on the big screen, with lots of opportunities for good visuals. Maybe something involving time travel.

EDIT: Now, if it turned out to be direct to video instead, then I hope for them to go crazy and do Chrysalis vs. Thorax and Pharynx: Final Wars or something.

The_Kid

Going to go see this in an hour. I've never really gotten into the show but some of my friends are, and I really dig some of the side characters (especially whoever Taye Digg's character is). That and MoviePass is a thing so.

If they do make a theatrical sequel, I expect they'll do a soft reboot with the marketing, basically pretending that it's the first theatrical movie all over again and not referencing the first one, including by not including a "2" in the title. They probably will have a subtitle of some sort, though.

In retrospect, given the focus on six or seven main characters, instead of a grand adventure story, they should have gone for a story more like "The Return of Harmony", "Magical Mystery Cure", or "The Cutie Re-Mark", where it focuses on a known set of characters going through a weird sci-fi concept. For all its flaws, this is exactly what Equestria Girls did, with its dimensional travel yet still focusing on the same known characters, albeit alternative versions of most.

It would still have to be something that looked good on the big screen, with lots of opportunities for good visuals. Maybe something involving time travel.

EDIT: Now, if it turned out to be direct to video instead, then I hope for them to go crazy and do Chrysalis vs. Thorax and Pharynx: Final Wars or something.

I said it before but Hasbro looks like they're trying to create their own new movie studio, and if they are it would make sense to try and establish MLP as a cornerstone of it because so much of the work has already been done. The brand has already been built into this fairly expansive universe that already has fans. A lot of their other things like all of their board game stuff like Monopoly and Candy Land could potentially be made into something interesting but they would have to find a way to make an actual movie out of them first.

MLP overall has a large focus on continuity these days, and if you use the Equestria Girls movies as a blueprint the next logical step would be the next movie focusing on Tempest adjusting to her new life as a good guy. Rainbow Rocks is by far the most well-received EQG movie and the franchise as a whole has had a lot of success taking former villains and making them compelling protagonists. It would just be weird if they made another movie and it didn't reference the previous one at all, and given that Emily Blunt is likely too expensive for them to routinely pay for to have on the show having her character continue her storyline in the following movies would make sense.

The other thing I would say that the upcoming movies should focus on is action though. Flash doesn't work well with lots of movement and action scenes probably cost a lot more to make. It would be really cool if they could hire on someone that's experienced doing animated fighting sequences for the next movie, if they have one.

Going to go see this in an hour. I've never really gotten into the show but some of my friends are, and I really dig some of the side characters (especially whoever Taye Digg's character is). That and MoviePass is a thing so.

One word of warning about the side characters is that they don't have that much screen time overall.

^ FAKE EDIT: Come to think of it, we don't actually know Tempest's cutie mark, do we? If she doesn't have one, a sequel could place some focus on her discovering her destiny.

I hope you have a good time! The box office has resulted in us focusing on the negatives for the post-mortem, but most of us did enjoy the film a lot. If you find yourself liking any of the main characters at all, I'd recommend checking out the show. We even have an episode guide that lists what characters get focus.

The_Kid

It was pretty decent! I only saw a handful of episodes back in the day when it was a huge fad, and although I still don’t think the show is something I’ll watch on a regular basis, it has its own particular charm.

Also Spike is probably the cutest thing ever so he kind of made it worth it. Taye Diggs fursona was pretty awesome too.

Edit: I will say my one major gripe with the movie is that it felt like any threat that existed should have been easily overcome, if that makes sense? Like, take the scene where they fall from the ship for example. Twilight concocts this whole hot air balloon ride mid fall, when half of them can already fly and Twilight easily seems to be able to carry all of them with her magic.

It was pretty decent! I only saw a handful of episodes back in the day when it was a huge fad, and although I still don’t think the show is something I’ll watch on a regular basis, it has its own particular charm.

Also Spike is probably the cutest thing ever so he kind of made it worth it. Taye Diggs fursona was pretty awesome too.

Edit: I will say my one major gripe with the movie is that it felt like any threat that existed should have been easily overcome, if that makes sense? Like, take the scene where they fall from the ship for example. Twilight concocts this whole hot air balloon ride mid fall, when half of them can already fly and Twilight easily seems to be able to carry all of them with her magic.

I totally get what you mean. In order to make Storm King's forces seem threatening, they had to power everyone down, superhero movie style--we don't even see Twilight teleport, for instance. Given how easily they overpowered his forces at the end, the ponies easily could have done it themselves, especially with heavy hitters like Starlight Glimmer and Big Macintosh known to be in the crowd. For the falling scene, Fluttershy does have trouble flying under stressful circumstances, and while Twilight could hold all of them in the air, she wouldn't have been able to do it long enough to get them safely on the ground, so that didn't feel too off. That said, without that knowledge about Fluttershy, it could definitely seem odd.

Speaking of that scene, I do love the tiny moment where Twilight is bringing everyone into the balloon, and Rainbow tries to fly away.

==

The group that did the ending cards posted an article about them. The text is very short, but we now have all the ending cards! Interesting to hear they apparently weren't fans of the show beforehand; you wouldn't be able to tell with the things they included, notably using a variation of the pointy art style used briefly in "A Canterlot Wedding".

Highlights:
Trixie and Starlight
MLP_Shot_70_v02b.jpg

Hippo queen
MLP_Shot_80_v03.jpg

Storm King pinata

Still dead (though apparently his eyes move in the final version)
MLP_Shot_220_v03.jpg

Twilight Dance! And Discord in the background.

The whole conflict itself is pretty contrived. Past Twilight not really doing much the whole movie the ponies have tons of allies from other races that both weren't contacted by them when things were getting bad and also weren't invited to their big friendship festival. Then of course there's the living embodiment of chaos who the ponies are also friends with and would do anything for Fluttershy. On top of that Twilight has a student that is as powerful as she is and has saved the world before without Twilight's help that was already shown in the movie who apparently didn't do anything either. It doesn't bother me that much but it's a glaring issue that's pretty hard to not notice.

I noticed that the fireworks on Starlight and Trixie's cake have the Mane 6's cutie marks on them. Also Twilight being terrible at dancing will never not be funny to me.

The whole conflict itself is pretty contrived. Past Twilight not really doing much the whole movie the ponies have tons of allies from other races that both weren't contacted by them when things were getting bad and also weren't invited to their big friendship festival. Then of course there's the living embodiment of chaos who the ponies are also friends with and would do anything for Fluttershy. On top of that Twilight has a student that is as powerful as she is and has saved the world before without Twilight's help that was already shown in the movie who apparently didn't do anything either. It doesn't bother me that much but it's a glaring issue that's pretty hard to not notice.

I noticed that the fireworks on Starlight and Trixie's cake have the Mane 6's cutie marks on them. Also Twilight being terrible at dancing will never not be funny to me.

There needs to be an Equestrian civil war for there to be a realistically fair fight, basically.

There needs to be an Equestrian civil war for there to be a realistically fair fight, basically.

Funnily enough I feel like one of the few ways that the ponies could actually use all of the allies that they've gathered over the years is if they ended up getting invaded by some supermassive army that had already taken over a huge chunk of the world.They essentially had a setup already that could have actually acknowledged all of the people that they've made friends with over the years and would realistically come to their defense if there was any crisis and didn't go with it. (I understand why, it would be extremely confusing for anyone that hasn't been keeping up with the show why the Changelings or Dragons are helping out, or why the Changelings look completely different for that matter. And for people that don't follow the show it would come completely out of left field. And one of the big problems with the movie was that there were too many characters to begin with so it's not like throwing in a bunch more would really be helping things)

At this point the only way they can really do big finales is to either come up with scenarios where it wouldn't make that much sense for everyone to help out (such as Cutie Map) or for them to just pretend that they don't exist. (And they've already been doing this with the Elements and the Rainbow powers for a lot of the two-parters) Turns out that friendship is pretty overpowered in the long run.

Toothless

My Little Pony: The Movie is silly, funny, and ultimately very charming. It's clear the writers have a strong grip on these cast of characters, translating them to the big screen brilliantly. Sure, Twilight's arc is a little blah at points, but the rest of the crew is fun enough to look over that slight. The celebrity voices are generally well-utilized, and the music is very good, with a couple of songs being legitimate showstoppers.

The traditional (Flash) animation looks very good on the big screen for the most part (any use of CG will make one cringe), and the animators/DP have a good sense of space that definitely makes this look like a movie and not just an extended episode of the show. Sure, there are issues, but in the grand scheme of animated shows being adapted to film, this definitely is a winner.

In times like these, it's important to have films where good triumphs over evil and compassion can defeat any hatred in one's heart. My Little Pony: The Movie does indeed show that friendship is magic, and that no matter how tough friendship can be, it's always worth it. Hard to knock a movie that gives such fundamental lessons as those while not forgetting to entertain and leave one with a smile. A much better film than it had any right to be.

(Fwiw, I gave up on the show after season 4. Not that I didn't like it anymore, but I really just stopped making it a priority.)

Well, I guess we can forget the idea of the movie having legs in theater. It dropped to 9th place, below Lego Ninjago at 8th.

9.) My Little Pony (LG), 2,528 theaters (0) / $981K Fri. (-67%)/3-day cume: $4.6M (-48%) /Total: $16.1M/ Wk 2

(Fwiw, I gave up on the show after season 4. Not that I didn't like it anymore, but I really just stopped making it a priority.)

You can try looking through our episode guide to see if there's anything in the later seasons that interests you, and just watch those episodes.

Fat4all

Banned
finally saw it

it was good fun as a fan, but it was still a bit all over the place while lending all that energy to a very weak plot

i'll buy it on blu ray, i liked the visuals a lot

While I'm sure a lot of people think the various 3D environments in the movie made it look cheap, I've come around to them. In watching some of the song clips on YT, I noticed that a lot of shots would probably be impossible or prohibitively expensive if done entirely by hand, so I'm glad that they opted to utilize 3D even if on the surface it doesn't always look amazing. For instance, from here to 1:58 or this wheel turn here + camera moving, I'm no animator but that shit (and all the others like it) would have to be completely different if they were just working in 2D with their budget, right?

While I'm sure a lot of people think the various 3D environments in the movie made it look cheap, I've come around to them. In watching some of the song clips on YT, I noticed that a lot of shots would probably be impossible or prohibitively expensive if done entirely by hand, so I'm glad that they opted to utilize 3D even if on the surface it doesn't always look amazing. For instance, from here to 1:58 or this wheel turn here + camera moving, I'm no animator but that shit (and all the others like it) would have to be completely different if they were just working in 2D with their budget, right?

They used 3D models to map the layout of scenes and put the Toon Boom models over them. It definitely allowed for more complex shots than what's typically done in the show, but the models that were left in 3D really could have been integrated better. Hopefully in the sequel or whatever followup specials are made in this style.

Speaking of the sequel, I think back to the advertising and my earlier observation that the show and the movie doesn't exactly offer much trailer fodder for jokes. Plus, there wasn't much to make it look appealing to boys. Many reviewers expressed a connection with the Storm King, because he stepped back and said how silly all the pony stuff was. So maybe the next movie can showcase a male character that makes a lot of one off jokes, including at the expense of the girly nature of the world. One that does visually interesting things that can be shown in the trailers. Perhaps one voiced by an actor that parents may recognize, and go, "Oh hey, he's just playing Q again, that's funny." What I'm saying is we need Quibble Pants. Though seriously, in retrospect, Discord probably could have done a lot to improve the perception of the movie.

I've been avoiding posting fan art here (and trust me, there's a lot), but I figure there's nothing wrong with song covers and remixes.
"Open Up Your Eyes" cover by Wubcake
"Open Up Your Eyes" Synthesia Orchestral Cover by Dmitriev
"Open Up Your Eyes" metal cover by Elias Frost - Note, has a cheesy music video.

EDIT: "We Got This Together" cover by AshleyH

PaulloDEC

So I won't post any links, but it seems like some pretty detailed budget documents pertaining to the movie leaked a few days ago? No evidence that they're legit, but they seem pretty authentic.

Long story short, it looks like the film had a budget of around 25 million USD in total, with some of the most costly elements including animation, music and studio rental/equipment.

So I won't post any links, but it seems like some pretty detailed budget documents pertaining to the movie leaked a few days ago? No evidence that they're legit, but they seem pretty authentic.

Long story short, it looks like the film had a budget of around 25 million USD in total, with some of the most costly elements including animation, music and studio rental/equipment.

Yeah I saw them roaming around 4chan. On one hand, it's leaks on 4chan and this kind of stuff would be extremely easy to fake. On the other hand, the numbers make reasonable amount of sense and they were supposedly leaked along with all of the other stuff that has been leaking recently. Obviously until Hasbro comes out and says how much money it actually cost to make there's no way to know either way but it makes sense.

Speaking of money, after its first two weeks the movie apparently is doing 15 million domestic and another 10 or so WW for a total of about 26 million. On one hand, it's well on its way to dethrone Norm of The North as the top grossing Lionsgate animated movie and has already grossed more then the estimated budget for the film. That being said, the general rule of thumb is that due to theater cuts, budgets and other stuff you usually need to make roughly double the budget back to get into the black. (source) With MLP the marketing might not be as big as expected for that model and there's a bunch of other variables but it's at a little over the halfway point before it starts making money through Box Office alone. Of course, the Box Office might not even be the largest way that the film even makes money and so when you add on all of the Dvd/Bluray sales, toys, and them being able to sell it to Netflix and also air it on their own channel, the movie will definitely end up doing fine and make some money in the end. Of course that was never really a concern. With such a modest budget, a fairly dedicated base that would have seen it regardless of quality, and all of the different avenues they had to merchandise it the movie was more or less guaranteed to get its money back. The real question is whether or not this is in line with Hasbro's expectations and whether this was a good enough performance for them to make a franchise out of it, direct to video or otherwise.

Depending on what the leaked documents say about how much each guest star was paid, that could hint toward which ones are likely to appear in the show or TV specials later.

Speaking of which, assuming they do follow up on the new characters, what do you think should be done with them?

The picture book tie in for the movie depicted Tempest (or rather, Fizzlepop) making Grubber her first friend, booping him on the nose, and they wander off somewhere together. That could probably be stretched out into a special, with Tempest just not knowing how to treat him. There's also the fact that the movie and tie in comics went out of their way to never show Tempest's cutie mark. Some fan art depicts her as having a fizzy drink cutie mark, but that doesn't seem like the right direction. Maybe she doesn't have a cutie mark, so Twilight could recommend her to the Cutie Mark Crusaders for help. She'd be surprised to see they're all fillies and thus doesn't take them seriously, but they ultimately do help her find what she's meant to do.

With Capper, the obvious route seems to be to follow up on what we saw in the comics, with his friend, Chummer, having abandoned him. He crashed his ship, but we clearly see footprints leading away from it in Movie Prequel #4, so he's still alive. I'm imagining them going full anime, with Chummer being an over the top brooding version of Capper, and Capper's all like, "We used to be nakama!" but Chummer's like, "Our bonds... mean nothing to me!" And then people can make a Linkin Park PMV out of the special.

With the seaponies/hippogriffs, it makes sense that Twilight would go to great lengths to try to make things up to Queen Novo for trying to steal the pearl. Novo on the surface would accept the apology, but she still doesn't trust Twilight.

Skystar seems like she'd be really excited about exploring Equestria. Some good drama could also come out of Skystar feeling comfortable around everyone but Twilight. For super bad feelings, she's even comfortable around Tempest.

With Celaeno and the sky pirates, we could follow up on them trying to improve things in the Storm King's old territory.

In general, we could see the ponies try to help out in the lands they visited in their journey. Before the movie came out, I had suggested that Rarity could lend Capper money to open a shop in Klugetown, so he could make money legitimately. They could interact with more individuals there to spread the magic of friendship, like in "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone".

And Songbird Serenade... idol battle between her, Sapphire Shores, and Coloratura?

EDIT: Also, "One Small Thing" is stuck in my head.

Character stuff

Sia pony isn't really a character. She's literally just a self-insert of Sia. If they ever bring her back (and she's by far and away the most unlikely IMO because she's the biggest talent they picked up for the movie and she was literally just there for star power) they would have to actually give her a character first. And I don't see any role she can fill that couldn't be done by Sapphire Shores or Coloratura. Overall she's the one that is the least interesting and the hardest one to bring back.

Capper idk he's a fun character to have around but I feel like a continuation of the comic stuff would be a bit weird since it wasn't even hinted at in the movie. I would like to see some story with him and Rarity in it since I feel they would play off each other well but there's barely anything from the movie to go off of since Capper didn't play much of a role in it.

Similar deal to the Pirates. They sort of remind me of Daring Do in that they would be most interesting if they were going on adventures and stuff, but then I remember how Daring Do has been treated over the years and yeah I doubt they would end up doing anything cool with them. It would be cool if there was just an episode of them going off being adventurous without them feeling like they need to tie it in with the Mane 6 or have any sort of moral but they've never done an episode like that before so I'm not getting my hopes up.

For the Hippogriffs I would like to see them be done similarly to the Dragons and Changelings. Come to think of it I'd like to see an episode where all of the leaders of the different races came together to discuss stuff. But at any rate maybe there could be an episode with the ponies and other people helping rebuild their kingdom and help them adjust to their new life above the water. They still have that pearl so there's some stuff you could do with that too. Skystar is fun and all but I'm not sure where you'd go with her.

For Fizzy the aspect of her mark could be interesting. Since she did leave the ponies before she got her mark and I doubt she found her purpose in life being a loner so you could easily say she doesn't have one. I brainstormed a plot a while ago which could have served as the sequel movie, although you could trim it down to a 2-parter probably. The basic idea is that Fizzy is struggling to make friends with people because whenever they stare at her horn she get super self-conscious and leaves. She meets Starlight and they bond over being ex-villains and stuff. She also grows to like Trixie since she does a lot of non-magical stuff in her routine due to not being very good at it. Them and maybe a couple other characters go on a journey to try and find a way to fix her horn. Starlight takes things way too far and fucks shit up like she does. She beats herself up over screwing things up and not even getting Fizzy's horn back but she confronts Starlight saying that she made her realize that she doesn't need it to make friends. Everyone teams up and unfucks everything and stuff.

Also really wish they didn't go for a gag name for her and gave her something remotely respectable as a name.

Animat (notable for reviewing loads of animated films) just released his review on the film. Probably one of the more fair reviews, though I disagree with his opinion on the songs.

He gave it a 6/10.

Finally got around to watching these. The first guy has a really annoying voice, and I stopped within the first minute. I've watched Tamara's videos before, and she's pretty fun. Glad she enjoyed it, but it's a shame she probably won't check out the actual show as a follow up.

I'm not posting fan art directly in this thread, but fan site Equestria Daily posted a Best of Tempest Shadow art collection, with 96 pieces, which should be worth checking out for those interested. Note that there's a fair amount of shipping, particularly with Twilight.

Oddly, Hasbro released a stop motion summary of the movie, and it's pretty cute. Funnily, it completely skips over Capper, like some have suggested the movie should have. Also, it randomly inserts Starlight during the final battle.

I haven't watched this show since maybe the second season because I was turned off by more.... eccentric portions of the fanbase, but I'm curious: why does Twilight have permanent wings now?

I haven't watched this show since maybe the second season because I was turned off by more.... eccentric portions of the fanbase, but I'm curious: why does Twilight have permanent wings now?

At the end of season 3 she completed a spell that proved she had true friendship, and because of that either the spell or Celestia (it's kind of unclear) granted her princess status which comes with a pair of wings. At the end of season 4 she officially became the Princess of Friendship.

Just watch this for the 2 minute version.

In the season 3 finale, "Magical Mystery Cure", Twilight does a thing with the Elements of Harmony, which leads into this amazing song which leads to her upgrade.

Out of universe, what happened is that they thought the show was ending, and thus had Twilight reach the end of her character arc. The show didn't end, but the merchandise machine was running, and they couldn't put the genie back in the bottle.

EDIT: Bonus song, "You'll Play Your Part" from the season 4 finale, also about Twilight being a princess.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Merchandising! Her having wings really hasn't changed much. It didn't really end up being the big game changer people thought. She just has wings and a castle now.

Fat4all

Banned
Merchandising! Her having wings really hasn't changed much. It didn't really end up being the big game changer people thought. She just has wings and a castle now.

One day I too shall have wings, money, and a private army to wage war against my foes.

Top Bottom