• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mom has ovarian cancer, and I have a simple request from GAF

0neAnd0nly

Appreciate all the prayers, support and kindness.

I have read every response, and I truly believe in the power of prayer to heal - and appreciate the positive messages overall.

As I said again, I have had a blast on these boards for years and love all you guys - even the ones I have disagreed with on occasion.

Will keep everybody updated on occasion, but it’s going to be a hard road ahead for sure. Chemo will began the week after next, and the medicines they have her on to go along with the chemo treatments have some nasty side affects. She’s tough tho, I am not kidding when I say that. Cancer has found out twice before how tough she is, and cancer will see it yet again.

Have a great weekend, and as I said before - make sure to hug your loved ones.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP,

I'm hoping things work out.

For anyone who knows someone diagnosed with cancer, I suggest give them a call. I've done that to some friends who got cancer (more like acquaintances I used to work with and speak to like once every three years). Even though its an out of the blue call, they will totally appreciated it. Trust me. It might sound weird if you talk to them and say... "I heard from xxxx you got disgnosed with cancer" as youd never know unless another friend told you but thats ok. It's not like they are going to be mad you now know.

Another thing I'd suggest if you got some money lying around and want to put to good use. If you know they are hard up on money, offer some cash and see if that will help pay some bills. Of course you got to word it such a way that you dont think of them as a charity case.

I'm no street bum donater or anything, but for people who I know who do need a buck, I'll give. I knew my old coworker was hard on cash as a single mom diagnosed (and died a few years later). We chatted as we worked together and despite me being young (Honda Civic and all!) I know my current pay cheque to pay cheque living wont be like that later when I make money as my career progresses. Offered a bit of cash and she happily took it. I wasnt sure if she'd decline or not, but was happy and she cashed my cheque. She'd always bring up wanting to buy her son a PS2 when we worked together. I have no idea if she did or not, but whatever she used it on bless her heart.

Kenpachii

Mom has started chemo again. Just hoping for the best. She is in good spirits, but definitely not feeling well.

Thank you all for your words of support and, most importantly, prayer!

Your not the only one, my mom had 13 years ago lung cancer, my dad got diagnosed today with lung cancer, will see how that goes.

0neAnd0nly

Your not the only one, my mom had 13 years ago lung cancer, my dad got diagnosed today with lung cancer, will see how that goes.
You're in my prayers man.

I didn't say it here, but when my mom was diagnosed the first time in 2020, the same week my dad was also diagnosed with prostate cancer. My dad did well through treatments (radiation) and his outlook is good. Thankfully, prostate when found and monitored early has a pretty good success rate.

Wishing you and praying for you man. 100%. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk.

Cyberpunkd

My grandmother was a bit like that - motorcycle stuff included. She could swore so that a young thug would blush and help her carry her groceries. Learned she had cancer the day she died, she just said "fuck" and sat down.

I had a pleasure of getting cancer in my 20s, but that stuff got killed faster than Microsoft is getting Gamepass subs up. Unfortunately each time I get a really bad cough I always have at the back of my mind:

Here We Go Again GIF

Last edited:

Zeypher

I wish your Mom a hopeful recovery. Losing your Mum to waste away like this is torture. Lost mine this way with Covid being the final Nail in the coffin over other issues. IF it still doesn't work out I pray at least that you get the opportunity to at least wish her Godspeed and goodbye.

Ionian

More power to your mother. I remember the calls I got from friends and family for separate cases.

It's great your Mother's spirits are high, that really seemed like a major factor for the people I know/knew surviving. Most were old although one was a baby that thankfully made it. I won't go into any details out of respect by my PMs are open should you need someone to talk to. <3

Dai Kaiju

GAF is pretty atheist and not necessarily the best place to ask for prayer. Many people need to see a miracle for themselves before they are able to believe. Such was the case with myself. The Lord has brought your mother back from the brink of death before and he can do it again. She has faith and it sounds like you do too. I said a prayer for her earlier this morning. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

You're in my prayers man.

I didn't say it here, but when my mom was diagnosed the first time in 2020, the same week my dad was also diagnosed with prostate cancer. My dad did well through treatments (radiation) and his outlook is good. Thankfully, prostate when found and monitored early has a pretty good success rate.

Wishing you and praying for you man. 100%. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk.

Thanks. i will see how it goes. Getting some information next week about what they going to do and how severe it is. it probably is pretty bad because he kinda is already for 3 weeks in the hospital with lots of lung problems which ended up being cancer so we will see.

MachRc

I will be thinking about you and your mother today, and give my own mom a call to tell her how much I love her for you.
Have a beautiful weekend.

Tams

I don't believe in any gods, so can't give you any prayers.

But you have my deepest sympathy.

My father got oesophageal cancer, beat it, but then went into remission. It happened very quickly from then. I hope you can spend as much time with her as you can and fingers crossed she can beat it back. I didn't spend much time with my father and I deeply regret it, even though he clearly didn't want me to 'waste' my time on him.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

We will pray for your mom for healing in Jesus name.

How is she today?

She’s actually doing ok. Chemo was Thursday, she isn’t feeling great but isn’t super bad. In good spirits, like always. Chest pains, but with medicine it becomes alleviated.

Usually day 3/4 is where most people will start to feel the worst, so tomorrow will probably get worse - but for now she is handling the new chemo well. I think they check for cancer regression in… 6 weeks? I need to ask her doctor for clarity. So I will make sure to update.

paolo11

She’s actually doing ok. Chemo was Thursday, she isn’t feeling great but isn’t super bad. In good spirits, like always. Chest pains, but with medicine it becomes alleviated.

Usually day 3/4 is where most people will start to feel the worst, so tomorrow will probably get worse - but for now she is handling the new chemo well. I think they check for cancer regression in… 6 weeks? I need to ask her doctor for clarity. So I will make sure to update.
We will keep on praying for her.

Azurro

Banned
Cancer is a terrible thing to go through, I'm sorry to read this. I am not a religious man, but I do send my best hopes and wishes to your mother 0neAnd0nly 0neAnd0nly , she sounds like an amazing woman.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well my dad is basically done for, most aggressive cancer u can have, not even radiation is a thing anymore. He has extremely rare cancer in his lungs thats spread. they give him a single month tops, but most likely 2 weeks.

In short, its my only remaining family member which sits often in my house and helps me out with lots of stuff, my sister is nuts so can't do shit with her. In short its basically gg for my family, only me left.

Feels fucking trash man.

0neAnd0nly

Well my dad is basically done for, most aggressive cancer u can have, not even radiation is a thing anymore. He has extremely rare cancer in his lungs thats spread. they give him a single month tops, but most likely 2 weeks.

In short, its my only remaining family member which sits often in my house and helps me out with lots of stuff, my sister is nuts so can't do shit with her. In short its basically gg for my family, only me left.

Feels fucking trash man.

I am so, so incredibly sorry to hear that man.

Please, let’s stay in touch. We can talk via PM. We can be each other’s support here on GAF. Everyone who is going through cancer or has a family member going through it needs support. It’s so tough, it’s a hard thing to watch.

You and your father will be in my prayers man. When you feel up to it, PM me so we can talk about whatever you need to. I understand how hard this stuff is, as you can see with this thread.

God bless you my friend. I know it’s hard, but stay strong.

lukilladog

GAF is pretty atheist and not necessarily the best place to ask for prayer. Many people need to see a miracle for themselves before they are able to believe.

I´d become a believer if you all people pray and all of a sudden no kid in the world gets cancer ever again. That would be a miracle I want to see. Ufortunately the causal order of the world is all natural, it is up to Us to defeat the evil in it.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Well update on my part, dad died this evening from lung cancer.

As I said via PM, I’m here when you need me dude. Stay strong. It’s been nice talking with you, even during such somber times.

————————

Mom has been in and out of the hospital this week, and had to have a platelet infusion. She was only able to receive half of the treatment this week, unfortunately, due to her blood pressure escalating at times to 250/ 100+. She spent almost 4 total days in the hospital. Due to the chemo, I suspect - but they did more imaging and test to make sure and saw nothing new (thankfully).

Thank you guys for the warm wishes and prayers that have been following. I will continue to update.

She is in good spirits but has had a few rough days this week mentally. Still positive and ready to kick it once more.

Hug your loved ones!

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
She is in good spirits but has had a few rough days this week mentally. Still positive and ready to kick it once more.

Hug your loved ones!
Watch a silly movie with her. Top Secret, Airplane, Bridesmaids , Police Squad or Amazon Women On The Moon.
You are there for her and that's what counts. Nothing fancy, just be you.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Update:
My mom completed her first 3 treatments of chemo + 3 maintenance drug treatments. This is round 1 of 3. She got her first CT scan since reoccurrence... and I couldn't be happier to say that it was good news!

Mom's cancer is responding. What does that mean? Mom's cancer isn't curable. But the chemo is stopping it's spread and reducing it. She is winning for now!

However, she has had a host of complications... and it has been tough. Mom has had to have several infusions and transfusions. She developed a blood clot in her arm, which she can't take a typical dosage of blood thinners because her blood is screwed up from the chemo.

She has taken a reduced dose, which seems to have alleviated it.

On top of that, during all this - my wife and I are the ones who care for her basically solo. 99% of the stuff. I just found out a week ago that our job is permanently closing, and I am losing my job. This is tough, though I have some resources.

Prayer above everything. I got several people praying on this forum, and have made some friends through this with members here. I truly think it is helping her. Her doctors have been incredible, and God is good. I thank you all.

Hug your loved ones!

Love you all, gaf!

Last edited:

BigBooper

Update:
My mom completed her first 3 treatments of chemo + 3 maintenance drug treatments. This is round 1 of 3. She got her first CT scan since reoccurrence... and I couldn't be happier to say that it was good news!

Mom's cancer is responding. What does that mean? Mom's cancer isn't curable. But the chemo is stopping it's spread and reducing it. She is winning for now!

However, she has had a host of complications... and it has been tough. Mom has had to have several infusions and transfusions. She developed a blood clot in her arm, which she can't take a typical dosage of blood thinners because her blood is screwed up from the chemo.

She has taken a reduced dose, which seems to have alleviated it.

On top of that, during all this - my wife and I are the ones who care for her basically solo. 99% of the stuff. I just found out a week ago that our job is permanently closing, and I am losing my job. This is tough, though I have some resources.

I won't post it here, because I don't want to seem like a grifter at all. But I did set up a GoFundMe for her (I have had some request here and even some private donations without the GFM). If you guys, any of you, feel inclined please PM me and I will send you the link. I do want to stress though; I understand if you can't and please don't feel pressured too. Times are tough, we fully understand. Prayer above everything. I got several people praying on this forum, and have made some friends through this with members here. I truly think it is helping her. Her doctors have been incredible, and God is good. I thank you all.

Hug your loved ones!

Love you all, gaf!
Glad for you and good luck on the future man. Also, don't give up on it being completely beatable. It does happen even in advanced cases.

Just continue to be there for her and be an encouragement on her treatments. I'll pray for you tonight.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Watch a silly movie with her. Top Secret, Airplane, Bridesmaids , Police Squad or Amazon Women On The Moon.
You are there for her and that's what counts. Nothing fancy, just be you.

We hang out daily. Always have, pretty much. We are close. My wife is a beast who also does all she can for my mother. She’s having it pretty rough mentally at the moment, so I will try to keep her mind off it with your suggestion(s). Thanks bro.

Glad for you and good luck on the future man. Also, don't give up on it being completely beatable. It does happen even in advanced cases.

Just continue to be there for her and be an encouragement on her treatments. I'll pray for you tonight.

Your reply is so inspiring man. Truly. I am happy and hopeful for you, and hopeful for continued success for my mother too.

Thanks bro, and thank you for the prayer!

Urban

Everyone has to consider losing a loved one.
There is a German saying for people like you and it’s called “Hurensohn”.

@ OP: im praying for you and your family. I lost my father last year and it still hurts. I had so much to tell him and I wanted to show him so much …

Top Bottom