• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I can't cope

oagboghi2

Hi everyone. I am not sure why I am posting this here. I just don't have many people to talk to. I feel so utterly broken.

Cut the long story short. My mother went to do the doctors for an x-ray due to a small car accident she had. She had some minor whiplash.

The x-ray results showed small lytic lesion in her rib and 24mm growth in her breast. She was diagnosed with cancer by the doctor.

My mother is absolutely everything to me. She is my life and my best friend. The thought of losing her would bring me to suicide as the pain would be too overwhelming for me. Even thinking about losing her now I'm breaking down in hard tears.

Do you think there's a chance my mother can beat this cancer? Or there's no hope?

She feels absolutely zero symptoms. No pain, no fever. Nothing.

We have to do a full bone scan on Monday, with a mamagran.

I really don't know how to cope with this. I love her more than anything.

Any support or advice would be much appreciated. I feel alone.
Going through my own health issues right now, and yeah...it fucking sucks.

The only advice I can offer is once the treatments and therapies start, help your mom make a schedule, a budget and stick to it. It will never easy, but the sooner you stick to the schedule the sooner everything starts to feel normal.

As it feels more normal, it will start to feel easier for her and for you.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Vtecomega Vtecomega , now isn't the time to despair, it's the time to rally together and be with her. Have faith, be positive because that's all that will help her heal and overcome.

Always be positive with her and treasure her every moment spent with you.

Stay strong, bro. 👊🏼

Cattlyst

Sorry to read this OP. Same thing happened to my mother about 5 years ago. Unfortunately the cancer spread and she died after a fairly lengthy illness. HOWEVER cancer treatments have come a long way and if diagnoses are caught early then survival rates are very high. Cancer diagnosis is no longer a death sentence, not in the slightest. In your mother's case, I very much hope this is true and she makes a very good recovery. All the best to her and to you.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Breast cancer is a very treatable disease especially if caught before it metastisizes which there is a very good chance of here. It is often estrogen dependant so the first line of defence is not harsh. There are also other specific forms like HER2+ breast cancer that have specific medicines available. Keep strong and supportive, do your research and be an informed advocate for your mom's treatment.

Vtecomega

Banned
Breast cancer is a very treatable disease especially if caught before it metastisizes which there is a very good chance of here. It is often estrogen dependant so the first line of defence is not harsh. There are also other specific forms like HER2+ breast cancer that have specific medicines available. Keep strong and supportive, do your research and be an informed advocate for your mom's treatment.
Thank you bro. I fear the cancer has metastasized though because they found small lesion on her rib 😔

We have full tests tomorrow and I have never been this nervous in my life. My heart rate is through the roof and I feel like vomiting.

I'm so thankful to get Gafs support. You guys are amazing ❤️

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Damn. Hard news for sure but I hope both you and your mom will come out of this stronger and better. It might be of little comfort right now but know that you have people here who hope the best for you guys and will keep you in their prayers. Wishing for the best. Let us know how it goes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I sincerely hope the best for your mom and you! If you do it, pray. If you don't, psych yourself up to be positive! I know that's easier said than done... but try. And be your mom's cheerleader and fill her days with as much joy as you can! This will help her IMMENSELY!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 26, got chemo twice a month, after 2 months you could already see massive reduction in cancer cells. As long as it was diagnosed early vas-y majority of cancers are treatable.

OP, I do not know the treatment regime in your country but look into chemo+radiotherapy immediately afterwards. Chemo will take care of the lump but you need to make sure not a sungle cancer cell survives.

Vtecomega

Banned
Well the time has come. I'm driving mum to get a mammogram and tests done.

Apparently one of the tests they have to inject radioactive dye in her. Hope she will be ok. Really nervous.

Vtecomega

Banned
I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 26, got chemo twice a month, after 2 months you could already see massive reduction in cancer cells. As long as it was diagnosed early vas-y majority of cancers are treatable.

OP, I do not know the treatment regime in your country but look into chemo+radiotherapy immediately afterwards. Chemo will take care of the lump but you need to make sure not a sungle cancer cell survives.
I'm happy to hear you pulled through. God bless you brother ❤️

Vtecomega

Banned
If the cancer has metastasized to the bone, Is it still treatable? Mum doesn't feel any pain, surely it can't be too bad?

SirTerry-T

If the cancer has metastasized to the bone, Is it still treatable? Mum doesn't feel any pain, surely it can't be too bad?
Just let the doctor's do their stuff pal. Mother's being Mother's, I imagine she's more worried about how her son is coping than herself. You need to be her rock right now. My wife is a breast cancer survivor so this thing is beatable. Stay strong for your Mum and stay away from Google and all those internet Doctor's, worrying yourself sick with "What ifs" is the last thing your Mum needs.
All the best.

PSYGN

I believe so depending on if it's localized to the rib and/or any other treatable area. But I'm no doctor and you should ask him. Someone once told me something that resonated when I tried Google MD (aka self diagnosing like an idiot): "What good does knowing that do for your health anyways? Spare yourself the stress and worries now - your doctor will let you know if it's an issue."

Last edited:

Mistake

I’m sorry to hear that, but try to hang in there. I actually have a neighbor who went through something similar. They had to take out half her lymph nodes on one side or something crazy, and she’s still here. Best wishes

I made a mistake, please disregard my previous post if you managed to read it. I shouldn't be around here so late at night! Good fortunes to you and your mother, mate.

Last edited:

BigBooper

We got mums results. Stage IV breast cancer that has metastasized😔😔😔. It hasn't spread to other parts of the body which is a positive thing.

She still feels no symptoms. It's so strange.
Sorry to hear that, but knowing is better than not. Now you can focus on treatment. As far as not having symptoms, I've got metastases in a few organs and the only thing I've felt so far is from the treatments. Everyone responds differently.

Neolombax

Very sorry to hear this OP. I personally know a few people who has beaten breast cancer, so its definitely something that can be overcome. Stay strong and try to be as positive as possible through all this. Wish you all the best OP.

need to check she has no g6pd as g6pd intravenous vitamin c is lethal. Intravenous c + high dose vit c is rumored to lengthen cancer patient lifespan.

Tocotrienols are also said to significantly lengthen cancer patient lifespan.

Low protein plant based diet said to vulnerabilize cancer cells while protecting other normal cells but need to consult doctor or nutritionist.

Immune cell transfusion therapies, highly hyped highly controversial, unpatentable end stage cure rumored on the near horizon.

When we spoke to Cui over a year ago, he had good news and bad news. The good news: The Florida patients had had a very encouraging short-term response to the treatment; the transfused granulocytes effectively killed cancer cells. The bad news: His wife was diagnosed with stage IV squamous cell carcinoma with massive metastases to all her major organs (lungs, liver, spleen and kidneys) and was given months to live. She had run out of conventional treatment options after partial surgery and chemotherapy. But he planned to take her to China for treatment at his other trial site in March 2013.
Two months ago, good news and bad news again. Good news: we met with Cui and his wife. She looked terrific. To the astonishment of her doctors, her condition appears completely stable after 14 months, with no further treatment of any sort. She told us the transfusions gave her a high fever, but no other side effects

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Bro, I'll be honest, sayimg your mom has cancer and immediately following that up with pitty for yourself is disgraceful. Be a man, be there for her, be strong, and knock it the fuck off. She has cancer, and you have hurt feelings. On here talking about fucking suicide when your mom is actually fighting for her life.

CAB_Life

need to check she has no g6pd as g6pd intravenous vitamin c is lethal. Intravenous c + high dose vit c is rumored to lengthen cancer patient lifespan.

Tocotrienols are also said to significantly lengthen cancer patient lifespan.

Low protein plant based diet said to vulnerabilize cancer cells while protecting other normal cells but need to consult doctor or nutritionist.

Immune cell transfusion therapies, highly hyped highly controversial, unpatentable end stage cure rumored on the near horizon.

The shitty thing is that Big Pharma won't support that research unless a.) they get a patent out of it b.) the cure is more profitable than the treatments, which is an almost impossible order to fill.

More on topic, my mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoblastic Lymphoma back in 2010 and given 2-3 months to live. We actually had almost 3 fantastic years with her in decent to good health before a major downswing after her last round of chemo (ICU, intubation, then death). Just treasure whatever time you have with your mom so that no matter what happens you have no regrets and when you look back on your memories with her, you know that you were there for her as she was once there for you (as a child).

I've seen people who lose their parents and have so much unfinished business and dialog that will never see completion outside of an afterlife reunion. Don't be one of those people. Tell her you love her, hear all of the stuff about her life you never knew, get to know her as a friend and not just as a parent--we're given this luxury once we're older and few people take advantage of it.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Last edited:
The shitty thing is that Big Pharma won't support that research unless a.) they get a patent out of it b.) the cure is more profitable than the treatments, which is an almost impossible order to fill.

More on topic, my mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoblastic Lymphoma back in 2010 and given 2-3 months to live. We actually had almost 3 fantastic years with her in decent to good health before a major downswing after her last round of chemo (ICU, intubation, then death). Just treasure whatever time you have with your mom so that no matter what happens you have no regrets and when you look back on your memories with her, you know that you were there for her as she was once there for you (as a child).

I've seen people who lose their parents and have so much unfinished business and dialog that will never see completion outside of an afterlife reunion. Don't be one of those people. Tell her you love her, hear all of the stuff about her life you never knew, get to know her as a friend and not just as a parent--we're given this luxury once we're older and few people take advantage of it.

Wishing you and your family all the best.
I lost my grandma and wondered why they didn't just give anyone who had a heart attack a mechanical heart, but those don't work they basically slow painful death sentence. Glad she didn't get one and went out in peace.

Supposedly the electric shock thingies don't even restart hearts, they just nudge abnormal heart beats into regularity, apparently stopped hearts is another thing entirely.

What I've said is chimera research is needed, I'm pro animals but pro human first, ideally we would create brainless embryos while we wait to perfect 3d printing. And 3d printing would work far better if genetic modification to slow down metabolism and work in anoxic conditions was added through genetic modification to 3d printed stem cells.

For now knockout blood vessel and all organ development and make a humanized animal with fully human organs that can be harvested for transplant. Use embryonic development with growth factors to produce all organs via embryogenesis natural womb development, later 3d print with genetically modified to handle low nutrient anoxic 3d print condition cells, and that way solve organ transplant issue.

Alter thymus to retrain and handle the or tolerate the genetic modifications at an immune system level.

I still believe the reason some people can be heavy burnt meat eaters and heavy multiple pack a day cigarette smokers while becoming centenarians without known cancer treatment, is that some rare humans their immune system can handle cancer.

While on that topic oral c using liposomal formulations + non liposomal frequent doses every few hours can reach intravenous lethal c doses in blood for prolonged period of time very prolonged. Vitamin c is indeed a long hidden miraculous stuff, and I'm a strong believer Linus Pauling was onto something. My multidomain polymath knowledge suggests vitamin c is extremely powerful.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
OP: you can cope, and you will fucking cope, because your mum needs you to be there for her right now.

As someone who’s lost very close people in my life, I know how it feels. And I know how it feels to put my own pain aside to alleviate theirs - fucking awful… but you have to do it for them.

Go get counselling or therapy. Do whatever it takes to keep you off gaming forums looking for advice, and listening to people who actually know what they’re talking about.

Best of luck and good wishes to your mum.

McCheese

I only found out my mum had breast cancer a year later as "she didn't want us to worry about her" - turns out as per usual mother was right. As despite catching it quite late, they removed it, she had treatment, and she's been fine ever since (going on a decade or so now). In fact all three people I know who had it made a full recovery, I know that's a small sample size; but 1 in 3 people will get cancer and breast cancer treatment is pretty incredible these days, so stay positive.

ryan13ts

I'm truly sorry to hear about your mom OP. My mom went through having breast cancer twice, and both times were very scary knowing the possibility of losing her was real, though thankfully things worked out and she's good now.

I truly hope for the best for your mom though, never give up on the hope for recovery for her.

Vtecomega

Banned
Hi guys!

I wanted to update everyone

The cancer we thought metastasized in the bone was disregarded and misdiagnosed. Mum had 3 cancers in her left breast. One was quite large of a diameter of around 30mm. The cancer was isolated only in the breast and did not spread.

She had to get a mastectomy done with a full breast reconstruction using her belly fat. The operation was a great success! Next week we have an appointment to discuss if its necessary to start chemotherapy.

It has been a rough ride. I am extremely exhausted both mentally and physically. In fact I am getting tested for Lymphoma next week as I have been having a lot of night sweats and enlarged lymph nodes which is apparently not a good thing for a person my age ( 36) according to my doctor. Yet another thing we have to tackle!

But the main thing is my mother is recovering and hopefully will live a long and healthy life from here on forward.

I wanted to thank everyone for the love and support! You guys are amazing! God bless you all!

Prison Mike

Banned
Great news
Fuck Cancer GIF by Stupid Cancer

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It has been a rough ride. I am extremely exhausted both mentally and physically. In fact I am getting tested for Lymphoma next week as I have been having a lot of night sweats and enlarged lymph nodes which is apparently not a good thing for a person my age ( 36) according to my doctor. Yet another thing we have to tackle!
Feel free to PM me if they diagnose Hodgkin, had it in my 20s.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Feel free to PM me if they diagnose Hodgkin, had it in my 20s.

As a general curiosity, Gleevec (Imatinib) is a sureshot drug for it, right? I remember reading that in 'Emperor of all maladies' (an excellent book).

@OP. hotdamn thats some good news to hear.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Bro, I'll be honest, sayimg your mom has cancer and immediately following that up with pitty for yourself is disgraceful. Be a man, be there for her, be strong, and knock it the fuck off. She has cancer, and you have hurt feelings. On here talking about fucking suicide when your mom is actually fighting for her life.
fuksakes lad, the fella just got a massive kick in the balls and hadnt come to terms with it and was venting in the only place he could, a little fucking sympathy and understanding for your fellow man goes a long way..

Also, glad to hear op's mum is at least on the right road, hang in there for her lad and i sincerely hope all works out

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
As a general curiosity, Gleevec (Imatinib) is a sureshot drug for it, right? I remember reading that in 'Emperor of all maladies' (an excellent book).
I got an AVBD mix twice a month for 5 months. In general Hodgkin is one of the ‘better’ cancers to get since it is relatively easy treated and the survival rate in years to come is extremely high. It also helps it attacks mostly young people (below 30, above 50), so the cells can regenerate more rapidly.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Hi guys!

I wanted to update everyone

The cancer we thought metastasized in the bone was disregarded and misdiagnosed. Mum had 3 cancers in her left breast. One was quite large of a diameter of around 30mm. The cancer was isolated only in the breast and did not spread.

She had to get a mastectomy done with a full breast reconstruction using her belly fat. The operation was a great success! Next week we have an appointment to discuss if its necessary to start chemotherapy.

But the main thing is my mother is recovering and hopefully will live a long and healthy life from here on forward.

I wanted to thank everyone for the love and support! You guys are amazing! God bless you all!
Tunning in here really late, but I wanted to say also that my mother had breast cancer too, went through the exact same procedures, she beat it and she have been really good since her recovery some years ago.

I'm glad to hear that you mom is doing great! Very good job, you finally ended up coping with it!
Stay strong buddy!

Top Bottom