• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my name is crazy buttocks on a train, and a birdie tol me (Xenon specs leaked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Oct 21, 2004
126
164
955
Xenon facts from the big hi roller game meets last week

-- ALL TITLES must be live aware
-- movie playback? WM9-based
-- built in mp3/wma player
-- 7gigbyte dvd with dual layers
-- xbox 2 hd is gonna be optional {uh oh}

this post is sponnsored by my buttocks n
 

IJoel

Member
Jun 6, 2004
6,644
0
0
crazy buttocks on a train said:
Xenon facts from the big hi roller game meets last week

-- ALL TITLES must be live aware
-- movie playback? WM9-based
-- built in mp3/wma player
-- 7gigbyte dvd with dual layers
-- xbox 2 hd is gonna be optional {uh oh}

this post is sponnsored by my buttocks n
BOMBA! (this must be the new catchphrase... how soon until it's a bannable offense?)

I expect all the titles to be at the very least Live Aware.

WM9 based movie playback? What in the... this doesn't make much sense, unless they will support a media center to play PC files.

7GB dvd? Huh... you must mean 9.4GB dual layered DVD unless they will customize the DVDs with some security features (pseudo new format) to avoid piracy.

Edit: Duh... I thought the HD meant high definition instead of hard drive.
 

Izzy

Banned
Jun 8, 2004
4,278
0
0
IJoel said:
BOMBA! (this must be the new catchphrase... how soon until it's a bannable offense?)

I expect all the titles to be at the very least Live Aware.

WM9 based movie playback? What in the... this doesn't make much sense, unless they will support a media center to play PC files.

7GB dvd? Huh... you must mean 9.4GB dual layered DVD unless they will customize the DVDs with some security features (pseudo new format) to avoid piracy.

Xbox 2 HD was somewhat also expected to be optional, but I imagine this must mean that it will come with a HD-DVD drive as otherwise it wouldn't make sense (since the hardware would be the same otherwise.)
9.4 - definitely
 

MoxManiac

Member
Jun 8, 2004
16,990
1
1,390
They should include BC functionaliy with the hard drive; might boost it's sales and put an end to the BC debate.
 

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Jun 7, 2004
33,383
0
0
49
Southern MD
I'm really curious to see how they are going to do this...

In terms of the Xbox and game saves... what games have saves that are too big to fit on a memory card... and since this pretty much means we have to buy a memory card for Xenon it would be great if it was compatible with the Xbox(maybe just larger?) so that we could use it to move saves...
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
BC is nice, but I don't give a damn about it if I can't transfer my save files. For example, I worked hard to unlock everything in Ninja Gaiden. You can't transfer NG save files to a memory card. Which means unless there is some sort of software that lets you transfer save files from XBox to Xbox 2 it doesn't matter to me about it. There are other games like this too, which restrict save game files to the hdd.
 

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jun 8, 2004
8,580
1
0
47
Seattle
Having an optional HDD might not be so bad for those who aren't on Xbox Live and could care less about downloadable content -- these folks could get Xenon for cheaper. And how many of us really rip our own soundtracks for games anyways?
 

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jun 8, 2004
17,966
15
1,750
crazy buttocks on a train said:
Xenon facts from the big hi roller game meets last week

-- ALL TITLES must be live aware
Yup, and 720p.
crazy buttocks on a train said:
-- movie playback? WM9-based
Of course
crazy buttocks on a train said:
-- built in mp3/wma player
Maybe, never heard about this. Never asked too ;)
crazy buttocks on a train said:
-- 7gigbyte dvd with dual layers
I've read this too. I was told it was because of the whole DRM stuff. If true : SUCKS !
crazy buttocks on a train said:
-- xbox 2 hd is gonna be optional {uh oh}
The decision has not been 100% made yet. Will depend on Sony mostly.

crazy buttocks on a train said:
this post is sponnsored by my buttocks n
Thank you crazy buttocks on a train ! :D
 

border

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,947
16
1,660
None of this is too outlandish to believe.....but stuff like the "7GB DVD discs" makes me think it's made up somehow.

The "WM9 playback" probably means that is just the codec that they will make developers use for playing in-game video.

Optional HD is interesting......I wonder if they really will have multiple models of the Xbox? Or an external HD? So far I am betting on flash ROM chips more than I am any of the other stuff.
 

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Oct 21, 2004
126
164
955
border said:
None of this is too outlandish to believe.....but stuff like the "7GB DVD discs" makes me think it's made up somehow.
friend I am a good lookiin guy who believe in Jesus and would not LIE TO YOU

7gb dvd dual layer is a --***lock***--, the earth swallow my buttocks whole if I'm lying..!Id say more but they're taracking my ip now
 
Jun 9, 2004
1,244
0
0
38
Scotland
crazy buttocks on a train said:
friend I am a good lookiin guy who believe in Jesus and would not LIE TO YOU

7gb dvd dual layer is a --***lock***--, the earth swallow my buttocks whole if I'm lying..!Id say more but they're taracking my ip now
:lol
Mr. Crazy Buttocks I salute you. This forum is a much better place with you here.
 
D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
crazy buttocks on a train said:
friend I am a good lookiin guy who believe in Jesus and would not LIE TO YOU

7gb dvd dual layer is a --***lock***--, the earth swallow my buttocks whole if I'm lying..!Id say more but they're taracking my ip now
ROFL

About the WMV9 codec, I belive it. Especially after checking out www.wmvhd.com
 

heavy liquid

Member
Jun 6, 2004
5,405
3
1,335
I really don't like the idea of having an optional HD. Hopefully it wont' happen, as I think it would be a pretty big step backwards.
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
crazy buttocks on a train said:
friend I am a good lookiin guy who believe in Jesus and would not LIE TO YOU

7gb dvd dual layer is a --***lock***--, the earth swallow my buttocks whole if I'm lying..!Id say more but they're taracking my ip now
What are the implications of this? Standard DVD? Or is it some customized DVD?
 

Ninja Scooter

Member
Jun 7, 2004
123,718
6
0
i wonder if they could try and "sell" backwards compatibility separately with the HD purchase. Like you buy the 40 gig (or whatever) HDD seperately and it unlocks BC in the Xbox2? Sort of like they did with the DVD remote when the Xbox first came out.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
How does HD-DVD work? Isn't that 14 gig single side?

Which means Xbox 2 is 1/2 HD-DVD?
 

Argyle

Member
Jun 7, 2004
3,446
0
0
border said:
None of this is too outlandish to believe.....but stuff like the "7GB DVD discs" makes me think it's made up somehow.
Actually, isn't an Xbox 1 DVD about the same? :) (all games dual layer, less space taken for the security system)
 

Miburou

Member
Jun 22, 2004
4,388
0
0
Dual layer DVDs are 8.5GB, not 9.4GB. You don't get double the space by having a second layer.
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
Is HD-DVD even going to be commercially availible any time soon?

I mean XBox 360 is due to launch in like 8 months over here.
 

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,796
7
0
Canada
chespace said:
Having an optional HDD might not be so bad for those who aren't on Xbox Live and could care less about downloadable content -- these folks could get Xenon for cheaper. And how many of us really rip our own soundtracks for games anyways?
Splitting the market w/hardware is never a good idea if you want long-term support for that hardware. We saw it with the Coleco Adam, Sega 32x, Sega CD, the PS2 HD and I predict the same thing will happen here. As someone *raises hand* who not only rips soundtracks extensively for his Xbox games, but has decided not to purchase certain games due to lack of support for that feature, I want a HD standard in Xenon. >:|

I won't speculate further on the accuracy of Mr Buttocks' wildly entertaining conjecture.
 

Krowley

Member
Oct 7, 2004
6,930
0
0
it almost sounds like they are taking the nintendo approach. smaller and cheaper with a proprietary format. sounds like profit is first and foremost in their mind. the removal of the HD is kind of lame, but i'm not really bothered by any of the other stuff.

edit// as long as it runs elder scrolls oblivion, i will buy it.
 

The End

Member
Dec 2, 2004
5,798
0
0
MS is really, really determined to prevent their console from being an all-purpose media box this time around.

MS doesn't get any royalties off of XBMP.
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
14,597
142
1,650
Ummmmmm don't like these news,it seems Microsoft is being too conservative with the hardware.
But just a sec.....is there DVD playback?
And the 7GB thing means it's a proprietary format?
 

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jun 19, 2004
9,004
11
1,620
Sounds good so far, really like the fact that all titles must be Live Aware.

Worried about market segregation due to the HDD being optional. As long as I'm guaranteed that the optional accesory won't be alienated or ignored (ie: games using it for faster loading, extra functions, downloadable content), or that if I buy a core system I can have the ability to install a HDD, then I'll be happy.
 

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,796
7
0
Canada
Garnering developer support for a console peripheral that only a small percentage will purchase will be...difficult. To say the least.
 

Krowley

Member
Oct 7, 2004
6,930
0
0
the HD thing bothers me (and it's the only thing that bothers me)

if microsoft doesn't put a standard HD in their next console, i don't think anybody else will either.
 

Redbeard

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
3,341
0
0
And what would that mean for downloadable content? If developers can't even be sure if people with Live have a HDD to store it on, will we be getting less of it than we have now?
 

The End

Member
Dec 2, 2004
5,798
0
0
the rumor going around a while back was that you'd get a gig or so of flash memory to story whatever downloadable content you were currently using, plus an online "locker" that'll store all of the content for games you aren't actively playing.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
1
0
I'm okay with all titles being Live Aware as long as it isn't implemented like Halo 2 where losing your network connection in background during a single player game will promptly dump you out of the game to a message prompt telling you your connection to Live was lost.
 

neptunes

Member
Jun 6, 2004
15,612
1
1,740
So is M-systems still involved?

Are they making the memory cards or the optional HD?
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
I don't think a built-in HDD is really practical given the way the console market works.

The console market can require the hardware manufacturer to have to drop their price at the turn of a dime. The problem is HDD prices level off at some point and you end up with a situation where lower specced HDD's end up costing you more than higher capacity hard drives because no one makes those lower capacity drives anymore.

I don't think XBox 360, PS3, or Revolution will have a built-in HDD.

Sony might opt for rewritable or quasi-rewritability on their game discs if they use Blu-Ray.
 

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jun 6, 2004
74,323
3
0
kaching said:
I'm okay with all titles being Live Aware as long as it isn't implemented like Halo 2 where losing your network connection in background during a single player game will promptly dump you out of the game to a message prompt telling you your connection to Live was lost.
I don't understand why that even happens. Bungie am lazy? I know that in PGR2, when you get disconnected, your game resumes after it notifies your disconnection. Halo 2 kicking you out of the single player campaign is very stupid
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
The End said:
the rumor going around a while back was that you'd get a gig or so of flash memory to story whatever downloadable content you were currently using, plus an online "locker" that'll store all of the content for games you aren't actively playing.
The online storage should make it even more difficult for people to cheat. Only authorized sources will be able to write to it and Microsoft can examine the data at any time looking for questionable data.

Very cool idea. Hope Sony steals it.
 

Phoenix

Member
Jun 8, 2004
27,925
10
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I'm somewhat intrigued by that as well, though likely it means that a Windows Media Center PC will connect to the XBox to provide that functionality.
 

AirBrian

Member
Jun 7, 2004
14,839
0
1,545
i182.photobucket.com
sonycowboy said:
The online storage should make it even more difficult for people to cheat. Only authorized sources will be able to write to it and Microsoft can examine the data at any time looking for questionable data.

Very cool idea. Hope Sony steals it.
:lol :lol :lol
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
soundwave05 said:
I don't think a built-in HDD is really practical given the way the console market works.

The console market can require the hardware manufacturer to have to drop their price at the turn of a dime. The problem is HDD prices level off at some point and you end up with a situation where lower specced HDD's end up costing you more than higher capacity hard drives because no one makes those lower capacity drives anymore.

I don't think XBox 360, PS3, or Revolution will have a built-in HDD.

Sony might opt for rewritable or quasi-rewritability on their game discs if they use Blu-Ray.
The other thing about hard drives is that their price is already cost reduced. They don't drop in price all that well as there have already been hundreds of millions of Hard drives produced. There is NO room for cost savings. The cost you pay when you start shipping the system won't drop nearly as well as other components, which makes it very difficult for the system to hit the $129/$99/$79 price without losing money.
 

Che

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
1,532
0
0
Worst news ever. Will it at least be backwards compatible? Are these finalized (nothing can be changed)?
 

border

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,947
16
1,660
Maybe 1 GB flash memory installed into the system by default.....and an external HD for people that want more space?
 

btrboyev

Member
Jun 7, 2004
10,086
2
0
41
MN
the problem with flash memory is that its expensive and two it can be even less reliable than a standard HD.
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
btrboyev said:
the problem with flash memory is that its expensive and two it can be even less reliable than a standard HD.
I agree with the expensive part. You can certainly quote memory prices and look at CF and SD 1GB memory cards @~ $40 retail (assuming less wholesale), but that would make the memory card one of the top 5 cost components of the system. A 100GB hard drive could be had for that price at wholesale.
 
bishoptl said:
Splitting the market w/hardware is never a good idea if you want long-term support for that hardware. We saw it with the Coleco Adam, Sega 32x, Sega CD, the PS2 HD and I predict the same thing will happen here. As someone *raises hand* who not only rips soundtracks extensively for his Xbox games, but has decided not to purchase certain games due to lack of support for that feature, I want a HD standard in Xenon. >:|

I won't speculate further on the accuracy of Mr Buttocks' wildly entertaining conjecture.
I thought all of the same things about reading this.
I feel that peripherals are a cool Idea when necessary.
Basically I'd be happy if they'd hold off on the new systems and maybe make a cheap upgrade to each system. ( AkA N64 Ram Cart, Sega 32X hardware)
If I saw a small jump in what I'm currently happy with that would be enough to hold me over until new more powerful machines arrive. I'm content with what I have so I'm not gonna bite on Xenon I'm gonna wait for more powerful complete systems where hard drives are a standard.
I like having sound tracks some games would be unplayable with music on otherwise.
See Burnout3.

The thing that's upsetting which I'm gonna say again is that this time the early jump to next Gen is gonna make Microsoft the weakest link as a console.
The Xbox brand will no longer be that 800 pound Juggernaut that it was last time.
I think the Reveloution and PS3 may be an even bigger leap graphically then this generations graphical leap over ps2.
Microsoft to be successful needs to do everything right. They have to fall back on the fuck ups.

Negatives as of now

No Halo 3 = wrong (To soon, no one wants it now anyway.)

Fragmenting User Base = Very, very stupid historically speaking as noted by Bish Bish

Rumored that there is no backward compatibility = This may just make me not buy one at all until they become dirt cheap.

Sony's strong User Base = Sony has a lot of fans that I have heard talk about Ps3 a year ago like it was coming out last year. These fools have been waiting a long time for Ps3 some of these are the sames guys who ignored dreamcast and waited For Ps2 the amount of these individuals is far greater than last gen.

The Shiney new Handheld factor = Granted they will look like shit compared to Xenon but just being able to play ps2 in the palm of your hands will be good enough for people until Ps3 arrives. Nintendo fans have the DS Nintendo has masses of fanboys as well who will wait patiently.

Positives as of now

Head Start = This may be listed as a plus but things can go bad if Microsoft doesn't do this perfectly. We all seen Dreamcast what did that head start do?

Microsofts Money = I think this era we will see them throw around a little bit of William Gates bread. His mass fortune will be the wildcard this gen. Last gen we didn't see much of this. I feel we will see it now in this era of small studio swallow up they may make EA look modest in comparison.
We may see some francises on The Xenon exclusivly that you never thought possible because of this. This is there biggest asset and they know this.

Overall- I think the hardware will be inferior to the new guys when they get here.
Microsoft can be a successful weaker system like the Sega Genesis or Ps2. I just hope that the games feel drastically different. Such as a Ps1 action or sports title compared to a Ps2 Action or Sports title.
A lot of Ps1 games are unplayable even once you get past the dated graphics. I can't wait to feel the next step in gaming from all three of the console companies.
In the back of my mind though I wish they'd wait another year at least sometimes patience is more rewarding for everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.