• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my name is crazy buttocks on a train, and a birdie tol me (Xenon specs leaked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

I hope gaming isn't going where multiplayer will be more important than single player. An epic single player experience is still the best (for me)

border said:
Maybe 1 GB flash memory installed into the system by default.....and an external HD for people that want more space?

Or maybe, the standard memory units are of a decent size that can easily facilitate downloadable content/save/CD ripping-mp3 & wma file storage and users can just buy bigger/more units to save upon. Connectivity to Media Center/desktop PCs can also supply extra storage. In this way, developer support for all of the things that XBOX can do is still ensured while giving the user options for more and different sources of storage, including remote online space.

MightyHedgehog said:
Connectivity to Media Center/desktop PCs can also supply extra storage. In this way, developer support for all of the things that XBOX can do is still ensured while giving the user options for more and different sources of storage, including remote online space.

Only if we all have media center PC's. ;)

*** Hugs his Powermac G5 ***

KiNeSiS

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I hope gaming isn't going where multiplayer will be more important than single player. An epic single player experience is still the best (for me)

I love multi player its so fun and competitive.
But the game loses its digital soul it's fun to have games with human soul.
Still it never sinks it's talons in and your unsatisfied because there is no story line no real meat.

marsomega

This is getting frustration. Next time someone mentions Xenon/PS3 leak I suggest instant ban unless there are GPU or CPU info leaks. That or a good shoe beating. AARRRGGGHHHH

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Christ, have you people just been ignoring the whole xbox 2 rumor mill for the past year? The multiple console versions with a lack of a basic hard drive has been pretty much confirmed by all sorts of characters. The hard drive is being dropped from the xbox as a gaming utility - period. Xbox 2 games will not use a hard drive. The version that does ship with a hard drive will probably use it to hook up with a windows PC to stream media and, maybe, backwards compatibility. But it will not be used for gaming. To me, this makes sense. You have an xbox 2 "pure gaming console" all the way up to an xbox 2 "multimedia desktop / set top machine". You can buy whatever you want. While I would like an HDD to be included standard on all machines, I can see how MS wants to cut this to reduce cost.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
mmm cuple more things

-- 5.1 sound, 720p, Pal 60, 16:9 ratio - standard suport for all Xenon titles. ALL of them must have this suport. Well the pal stuff is euroland only, but we're smart enoguht to figure that out heh

border

sonycowboy said:
I agree with the expensive part. You can certainly quote memory prices and look at CF and SD 1GB memory cards @~ $40 retail (assuming less wholesale), but that would make the memory card one of the top 5 cost components of the system. A 100GB hard drive could be had for that price at wholesale.
Why compare the retail price to the wholesale price?

The point is that flash memory has super-fast access speeds AND scales down in price much better. Think about how expensive a 64MB card was a few years ago $90-100 at least....and now you can buy cards with 15 to 20 times as much storage for probably half of the cost. Everybody so far has noted that the problem with hard drives is that they do not get much cheaper as time goes on, but flash just gets cheaper and cheaper.

How is flash "less reliable"? HDD is full of moving parts, and will fuck up if the console gets dropped or jumbled around too much in shipping.
Or maybe, the standard memory units are of a decent size that can easily facilitate downloadable content/save/CD ripping-mp3 & wma file storage and users can just buy bigger/more units to save upon
This is also an interesting possibility.

crazy buttocks on a train said:
mmm cuple more things

-- 5.1 sound, 720p, Pal 60, 16:9 ratio - standard suport for all Xenon titles. ALL of them must have this suport. Well the pal stuff is euroland only, but we're smart enoguht to figure that out heh

Not exactly interesting stuff there, as that all seems minimum spec kind of stuff.

Che

Banned
How flash carts are "less reliable"? Aren't hdds supposed to be less reliable than flash carts?

border said:
Why compare the retail price to the wholesale price?

The point is that flash memory has super-fast access speeds AND scales down in price much better. Think about how expensive a 64MB card was a few years ago $90-100 at least....and now you can buy cards with 15 to 20 times as much storage for probably half of the cost. Everybody so far has noted that the problem with hard drives is that they do not get much cheaper as time goes on, but flash just gets cheaper and cheaper.

Well, flash memory has certainly taken off over the past several years giving tremendous performance jumps and price reductions. However, an 8MB card doesn't cost much more than a 1GB card from a manufacturing standpoint. Just like hard drives, the low end price usually hovers the same and the capacity just keeps going up. That does not allow for significant price savings over the long term when you've committed to a certain size.

The End

Here's a rhetorical question for you.

Let's say your lead platform has a 30gb storage medium. How do you cut down a game like that to fit on a 7gb disc(s).

border

The End said:
Let's say your lead platform has a 30gb storage medium. How do you cut down a game like that to fit on a 7gb disc(s).
Reduce the quality of video, music, sound, and textures so that they do not take up as much space.

IJoel said:
Noooo... no 1080i?

SUX!

BOMBA!

Sales -1

I agree. They should give the option of 720p or 1080i. I'd prefer 1080i as that looks best on my tv (otherwise it scales 720p up to 1080i). Lots of people have sets that are unable to display 720p at all, so they should definately provide the option.

I'd imagine that something fairly automatic will take care of 1080i output, aside from relying on the display having to upscan the signal.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lots of people have sets that are unable to display 720p at all, so they should definately provide the option.
Lots of people have sets that can't do either 720p or 1080i. Even many HDTV owners. How many people have sets that support the full horizontal resolution of 1080i?

Borys

Banned
I just pray to the mighty Gods of gaming than Xenon WON'T be ever the lead SKU for any title. EVER. It would hurt not only PC gaming (like the rumours about Call of Duty 2 being a Xenon first title) but PS3 gaming as well (PS3 storage medium = 25 GB = massive textures and worlds, Xenon's medium = laughable 7 GB, the same as GTA:SA?!?!?!?).

Develop games for PS3/ PC and dumb them down (GFX, SFX, etc.) to Xenon.

PLEASE!

I'm buying PS3 and I don't want to have a f*cking port of a inferior Xenon title for Chrissake.

IJoel

kaching said:
Lots of people have sets that can't do either 720p or 1080i. Even many HDTV owners. How many people have sets that support the full horizontal resolution of 1080i?

Huh?

*scratches head*

Probably 99% of all HDTV sets support 1080i natively.

The End

Borys said:
I just pray to the mighty Gods of gaming than Xenon WON'T be ever the lead SKU for any title. EVER. It would hurt not only PC gaming (like the rumours about Call of Duty 2 being a Xenon first title) but PS3 gaming as well (PS3 storage medium = 25 GB = massive textures and worlds, Xenon's medium = laughable 7 GB, the same as GTA:SA?!?!?!?).

PLEASE!

I'm buying PS3 and I don't want to have a f*cking port of a inferior Xenon title for Chrissake.

Don't worry so much.

All of the quality japanese devs will ignore Xenon just like they ignored the Xbox.

Borys said:

PLEASE!

LMAO That's some funny shit right there ^^^ Maybe we should wait until the PS3 and Xenon specs are released, not just some thoretical maximum specs for the computational power of the first incarnation of the Cell architecture. After all, there's very much still the all-important issue of the VPU and its integration to the console to consider. Oh yeah, the games are important, too. ;P

btrboyev

The only reason i say flash can be less reliable is that I have had experiences as well as many others I know that a flash drive or card will completely stop working for no apparent reason. I've had to flash drives die on me in one year and I took care of them.

IJoel

Borys said:

PLEASE!

Ah... so you must feel extremely disappointed by today's games, considering the PS2 is usually the lead SKU for multiplatform development.

That said, it's doubtful that textures would be affected by the media size (in this case) as the systems themselves won't have more than 1GB (if that) of RAM. Currently all PC graphic intensive games fit comfortably in a DVD with space to spare. Considering we'll be seeing a lot of cinematics done using the graphics engine (and knowing this is one of the things that usually take the most space in discs) I don't foresee media being a problem. This is not even taking in consideration the manufacturing costs of the media itself. Having a double dvd game (14 GB in this supposed Xbox 2 case) might be cheaper than a single BluRay disc.

IJoel said:

But very few of them actually can show 1920x1080. The rest are just omitting lines or scaling down the picture (ie: Sony CRT HDTVs are usually around 1440x1080, as I recall, and most plasma/LCD sets can only display just above 720p, regardless of what formats they accept). The problem is so widespread that in some parts of the world, 1080i broadcasts are now done using the stripped down resolution instead of the full one, to save on bandwidth.

It makes far more sense to standardize 720p and provide a scaler.

jimbo

Banned
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE!

I'm buying PS3 and I don't want to have a f*cking port of a inferior Xenon title for Chrissake."

Dude I don't consider myself an expert but I know the size of textures used is more dependant on the internal ram and bandwidth than the actual medium it's written on. They could easily use multiple DVD's for a game. Just because the PS3 storage medium is 25GB it doesn't mean the system will be able to load all of that in its ram at once. Maybe streaming games will have an advantage but I still don't see any one chapter of a game(a la Resident Evil 4) exceeding 7gb worth of storage and textures. Hence if you wanna use a texture happy game, you can just cut a game on multiple DVD's. So breathe. It's really no big deal.

Che

Banned
The End said:
Here's a rhetorical question for you.

Make a 5 DVD game you silly. :D

Seriously though using a disk capacity less than 10-15 GB for next gen is pretty stupid (Nintendo that's for you too). Just the textures will use many many GBs IMHO.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
IJoel said:
Huh?

*scratches head*

Isn't the horizontal resolution for full-spec 1080i supposed to be 1920 pixels? I'm pretty sure that isn't supported in anything near 99% of HDTVs right now...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>>I just pray to the mighty Gods of gaming than Xenon WON'T be ever the lead SKU for any title. EVER. It would hurt not only PC gaming (like the rumours about Call of Duty 2 being a Xenon first title) but PS3 gaming as well (PS3 storage medium = 25 GB = massive textures and worlds, Xenon's medium = laughable 7 GB, the same as GTA:SA?!?!?!?).

PLEASE!

I'm buying PS3 and I don't want to have a f*cking port of a inferior Xenon title for Chrissake.<<<<<

Replace Xenon with PS2, replace PS3 with Xbox, and that's EXACTLY what I thought about the current generation.
Also, you're all wrong. DVD-9s hold exactly 7.95 gigabytes.

jarrod

Banned
Borys said:

PLEASE!

Well, this probably won't even be an issue the first few years... in fact, I'd expect most PS3 games in 2006/2007 to likely be on DVDs until BD costs come down to similar levels.

IJoel said:
Ah... so you must feel extremely disappointed by today's games, considering the PS2 is usually the lead SKU for multiplatform development.
The analogy would be if GameCube was the lead system, and thus a game like GTA:SA skimped on something since it was designed with a 1.5 GB limit in mind.

IJoel

JoshuaJSlone said:
The analogy would be if GameCube was the lead system, and thus a game like GTA:SA skimped on something since it was designed with a 1.5 GB limit in mind.

Err... he mentions PC game development in there, which is why the assumption was made regarding dumbing down ports to different platforms, as is the case today with many games.

In any case, the notion that graphics quality nowadays (and even in the foreseeable next few years) is hindered by the current storage capacity is flawed, as the limitation lies on the VRAM.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
IJoel said:
Currently all PC graphic intensive games fit comfortably in a DVD with space to spare.
The difference is that PC games are NOT designed to run from a DVD, they get installed to a HDD, and the only priority with disc data layout is to minimize space use. On consoles the disc data layout is normally optimized for speed, and that can actually result in quite large disparities.
On a console, you'll group stuff in the order it gets loaded as much as possible, even if that means that a piece of data (say a texture) will be stored on the disc 50 times for every one of the 50 stages it is used in.

Borys

Banned
You can say that again - I don't want to feel how Xbox users are often feeling now getting lots of PS2-ports.

Of course there's still hope that Xenon won't be THE underpowered console.

Storage space is one thing (you can't deny that BR-Disc IS larger than DVD9), cpu and gpu another, I know, but all this Xenon rumours are making me worried about next-gen games that's all.

ManaByte

Gold Member
IJoel said:
Currently all PC graphic intensive games fit comfortably in a DVD with space to spare.

Actually DVD is becoming less and less space for PC developers and some are just now starting to realize that people hate installing from 4+ CDs. Almost ALL of EA's new PC games come out with a DVD option (MoH, Sims 2, Battle for Middle Earth all came on DVD and Battlefield 2 is coming on DVD as well). UT2k4 also came out on DVD, and a lot of companies are actually re-releasing older PC games on DVD now like the Neverwinter Nights Platinum release. Another example is EQII. The CD ROM version is TEN discs, while the DVD ROM version is packed on two DVDs.

And as Faf explained, PC games just use the disc as a delivery method. After the game is installed, the disc is just used as a anti-piracy check when booting the game.

MightyHedgehog said:
LMAO That's some funny shit right there ^^^ Maybe we should wait until the PS3 and Xenon specs are released, not just some thoretical maximum specs for the computational power of the first incarnation of the Cell architecture. After all, there's very much still the all-important issue of the VPU and its integration to the console to consider. Oh yeah, the games are important, too. ;P

Well, some of us game devs do have final Xenon specs. :D

Rhindle

Duckhuntdog said:
Well, some of us game devs do have final Xenon specs. :D
Except you don't, because Microsoft is still months away from locking them down.

These specs sound pretty credible, but they are minimum requirements specs -- a heads up to developers as to what the requirements will be for certification.

Che said:
Worst news ever. Will it at least be backwards compatible? Are these finalized (nothing can be changed)?

Going off the papers I saw, backwards comp is somewhat up in the air, but with a strong lean towards no. Specs finalized is a yes, the casing was finalized about a week ago. HD appears to be optional, the money is in the memory cards, kids.

IJoel

Fafalada said:
The difference is that PC games are NOT designed to run from a DVD, they get installed to a HDD, and the only priority with disc data layout is to minimize space use. On consoles the disc data layout is normally optimized for speed, and that can actually result in quite large disparities.
On a console, you'll group stuff in the order it gets loaded as much as possible, even if that means that a piece of data (say a texture) will be stored on the disc 50 times for every one of the 50 stages it is used in.

Very true, and this is definitely the reasoning for the disparities between PC and their console counterparts (in terms of size.) Even after being installed in a HD, however, most games (don't know one yet) don't exceed a dual layer capacity DVD. Of course, HD transfer rates are much higher than those in DVD drives, so that will probably account for a significant difference.

I just don't foresee a dual layer DVD format being a hindrance to graphics quality. I don't even see BluRay being used for the PS3 as game media soon after its release.

Rhindle said:
Except you don't, because Microsoft is still months away from locking them down.

These specs sound pretty credible, but they are minimum requirements specs -- a heads up to developers as to what the requirements will be for certification.

Papers I saw were pretty far along and looked to be final, the only issues that had questions surrounding them was total system memory, BC support, hard drive, and CPU speed. They even gave out expected perfomance increase/loss with final hardware.

Yeah they gave out base line certification requirements as well.

rastex

Banned
Duckhuntdog said:
Papers I saw were pretty far along and looked to be final, the only issues that had questions surrounding them was total system memory, BC support, hard drive, and CPU speed. They even gave out expected perfomance increase/loss with final hardware.

Yeah they gave out base line certification requirements as well.

Uh... other than HD, memory, BC support, and CPU speed what else is there to determine the strength of the console? I mean those are the very issues people are debating right now, and nobody knows what the final specs will be.

tuco11

So if I bought a 1 year Xboxlive renew card now would I have to pay again before the new one runs out? Or has that not been determined yet?

thanks.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
IJoel said:
I just don't foresee a dual layer DVD format being a hindrance to graphics quality. I don't even see BluRay being used for the PS3 as game media soon after its release.
I suspect a similar situation might happen as did with PS2, most early games shipped on CD, with a few high end things on DVD. But that ratio didn't last for very long, and probably won't in this case either.
Especially if the drive will have faster transfer rates for reading BRD discs also. 4xBRD would be faster then anything regular DVD based - but it's also entirely possible that DVD mode being secondary would read at lower speeds then competition as well.

Brofist

IJoel said:
I don't foresee media being a problem. This is not even taking in consideration the manufacturing costs of the media itself. Having a double dvd game (14 GB in this supposed Xbox 2 case) might be cheaper than a single BluRay disc.

And I'm sure those cheaper manufacturing costs will trickle down to the consumer right ;)

No next gen media, no sale for me. I'm one of those people that uses their PS2 for watching DVD movies, so I'll want the PS3 for games and BR movie playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom