• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Nickolaidas, and I was a backlog whore. Hear my story.

Life

Easy solution - don't create backlogs. I just have mental notes of games I would like to play. Some are lost of course but I may remember them years later. I don't mind searching for games every now and again - its fun running into gems.

Indeed. All the people whooping and hollering about the EGS free games thing is kind of like amusing to me. Plain truth is, if you weren't prepared to get it at the time or pick it up when it was on sale beforehand then you probably have a nominal actual interest in playing it, so all you're doing is just adding to that pile of things you're probably never going to play. Just because it's free doesn't mean you need it. Overcome the FOMO.

Its one of the reasons I don't get why people buy into these subscription services. They prey on emotional investment and attachment above anything else. Ironically, I imagine its what leads to many of those people feeling ultimately overburdened by the sheer size of their library.

I feel more committed to playing a game that piqued my interest and I actually bought.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This is how I tackled my issue and it worked like a charm.

Back 2 years ago I made a full cut. I looked at the games I had and divided them in the ones I really wanted to play and the ones that were like "Maybe". The latter ones I returned on Steam (effectivly loosing money) and put on invisible on GoG, and so on. The ones I wanted to play I left on my Backlog.

Then I started a new Backlog which became my main one. Every new game I bought went on this new Backlog first and those games were also always the first ones to be played. The other, older ones I would only play when I finished the ones from my new Backlog. Another thing I started to do was to watch LetsPlay of some of the older, story heavy games during my frequent meals and finish them this way.

Has been working extremely well for me.

Backlog 2018: +49
Backlog 2019: +34 (so far)

Only 41 games left as of today and I swear to god that with each game I complete I have more fun with the next. Can't wait to clear the rest. Plan's to drop to around 20 until the end of year.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I have way more games than I have time (or interest and will) to play, and I fully accepted long ago that most of the games I ended up owning in some ways are simply stuff I will never care about. I will probably never play them at all.
I also fully accepted that just a minuscule part of my current library of "unplayed" games are what I'd count as an actual "backlog" (as "stuff I actually want to play when I find the time for it").
The rest is just background noise. Games I got for pennies and I care neither of playing, selling or getting rid of. They are just there as some sort of, uh, encyclopedic context, I guess?

That said...
And that made me 'stressed', in a way. Stressed that I had to finish game X in order to proceed to game Y. I became more obsessed with finishing a game in order to reduce my backlog rather than enjoying the damn thing. And playing it for a second time? Not even for a joke.
And then it hit me. Gaming had become more of a job for me, rather than a hobby. I found myself shaking my head at my own stupidity - not playing Horizon Dawn because I wanted to play Super Mario Bros on the NES first. Or not playing MK11 because I wanted to play MK4 as well.
NOPE.
This is a fucking weird mindset to be in, and a problem I never suffered. I never forced myself through anything because "I have to check it on a list". Literally NEVER been an issue.
I always played things because I enjoyed them (or at least I expected to) or not at all.

Also, Humble Bundle Monthly subscription aside, I recently embraced a new policy: right now, no matter how appealing a price may be, I simply never purchase anything unless I'm actually feeling the desire to start playing it immediately.
It's serving me well.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Another thing I started to do was to watch LetsPlay of some of the older, story heavy games during my frequent meals and finish them this way.

I can see the logic but even with stuff like that I find watching vicariously frustrating when people make bone headed decisions.

dalekjay

Backlog.

Such a hated word for any true affectionado of video gaming. A word that any gamer can give a different meaning to.

For some, it means that they have way too many unfinished games. For others, it means they have way too many games, period. And for other others, it means they can't play the games they want to play, because they have other games they need to finish first (especially true for sequels).

I love video games. I love adventure games, I love fighting games, I love strategy games, I love role-playing games, I love side-scrolling shooters, survival horror games, RTS games, turn-based games … you name it, I love it.

Except soccer manager games. Fuck that shit.

But it's easy to get lost in that lovely hobby. It's easy to buy/rent/freebie more and more games, until beating all of them isn't realistically feasible anymore. But you still think you'll be able to play them at some point. You still believe you'll play that awesome game ... at some point.

Until you do some math.

I saw my Steam library, my collection of ROMs from consoles I never bought, my PSN library, my X-box library … and I saw about 1.245 games - not counting the ones I gave or thrown away. And I realized that the more games I had, the more I wanted to beat the older games before playing the sequels and the new ones, the more I would fall behind. To add stupidity to injury, I'm a 'savor-the-flavor' kind of guy. It's really hard for me to game 8 hours in one sitting. I need to take long breaks, which makes my gaming hours all the more fewer. In the end, I don't have a lot of time to spend on video games - and to be perfectly honest, I shouldn't have. Life and all.

And that made me 'stressed', in a way. Stressed that I had to finish game X in order to proceed to game Y. I became more obsessed with finishing a game in order to reduce my backlog rather than enjoying the damn thing. And playing it for a second time? Not even for a joke.

And then it hit me. Gaming had become more of a job for me, rather than a hobby. I found myself shaking my head at my own stupidity - not playing Horizon Dawn because I wanted to play Super Mario Bros on the NES first. Or not playing MK11 because I wanted to play MK4 as well.

So I decided to change my way of thinking. I was through being a backlog whore. I was through buying more and more games just because they were on sale and were games I could see myself playing down the line. I decided to de-tox myself out of this annoying consumerism-addictive line of thinking and made the following changes:

01) Any game that I wasn't 100% drooling over would be removed from my gaming library.

02) I stopped gaming on every system, and would instead only pick two brands to follow from now on (I chose PlayStation and X-Box)

03) I would only play the current game of an IP, despite not beating previous entries (so I said fuck-all to Gears 1-4 and Halo 1-4 and dived straight to Gears 5 and Halo Guardians)

04) I would play all game simultaneously, not waiting to beat one in order to go to the other (which makes me less anxious to beat open-world games, which are great games, but great time sinkers as well).

05) I would refrain from having more than 4 games of a specific genre (i.e. fighting games), in order to have only the best of the best in my library.

Right now I have a collection of about 25 games which I adore and play them little by little. Yeah, I missed a bit on story and lore, but I don't really care. Playing the first mission of Halo 5 was more exciting than Halo 1 and 2 combined, as well as Gears. And I can't believe I wasted my time on Final Fantasy II (mobile) and wanting to play through III-XIII before playing XV. XV is amazing and I love it the more I play it, haters be damned.

So, my advice to you, in case you're like me and have a backlog of at least 100 games, I urge you to say fuck all, uninstall those games, ignore the fiendish little voice in the back of your head that whispers something about diminishing returns and play the best of the best games in your collection, adding few games (about 5-10 each year), in order to replay those you really loved.

I'm a backlog whore no more … and I love it.
I finished my backlog across all platforms ever and it’s just empty between good releases, so I’m safe to say that a 5-10 games it’s a healthy backlog.

In other topic Gamers like to call it a hobby, it’s not for the most people, because a hobby it’s a activity where you grow skills, like just read books it’s not a hobby but having a book club where you dissect it is, sit passively watching Netflix can’t be a hobby etc etc, but whatever good that you are doing something about your backlog and why not buy a motorcycle and have more ways to have fun? Free yourself a little let it breath, to me this makes gaming more enjoyable

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can see the logic but even with stuff like that I find watching vicariously frustrating when people make bone headed decisions.
There are a lot of quite entertaining LetsPlays out there - and it's usually the ones with only a few views. For the love of my life I will never understand why the most annoying LetsPlayers are usually the most viewed.

But if you siff through the dirt you can find quite a few golden ones. For instance, I found one for Vampire Bloodlines and it was amazing because the dude had a profound knowledge of the tabletop and explained a lot of the stuff along the way. Or just the other day I finished Undertale as LetsPlay after I couldn't get into it on my own and I'm honestly glad I did. LetsPlayer was called MAD Gaming and I think he did a great job.

And I won't even mention ENBs LetsPlay of Bloodborne as this should be a mandatory watch for every fan of the game. It was actually this LetsPlay that got me into the whole thing. So good, it made me love the game even more.

But genereally my thinking was this… Even if I devote all my free time to videogames I couldn't possibly play everything I'm interested in or catch up on a lot of games I missed. My gaming taste is just way too broad. So I either have the option to miss them out completely… or check them out via LetsPlays. And I found the latter to be actually quite entertaining most of the time. But each to his own.

Backlogging is an odd one. You don't get it so much with books or music etc. I mean the word backlog exists in connection with gaming, I assume.

I got me a backlog that I'm trying desperately to control. Thing is evil and growing. But all I do to combat it is play Rocket League.

The mentality of playing every game exists only within the gaming community. I don't feel the need to own every book or CD/MP3, I'm happy to read or listen to one or two favourites.

I even enjoy reading backlog threads. Disease, dis-ease, man.

Last edited:

Pejo

Once you start on PC Game bundles, there's no going back.
Rplj1DH.png

Last edited:

TechJunk

Backlog.

Such a hated word for any true affectionado of video gaming. A word that any gamer can give a different meaning to.

For some, it means that they have way too many unfinished games. For others, it means they have way too many games, period. And for other others, it means they can't play the games they want to play, because they have other games they need to finish first (especially true for sequels).

I love video games. I love adventure games, I love fighting games, I love strategy games, I love role-playing games, I love side-scrolling shooters, survival horror games, RTS games, turn-based games … you name it, I love it.

Except soccer manager games. Fuck that shit.

But it's easy to get lost in that lovely hobby. It's easy to buy/rent/freebie more and more games, until beating all of them isn't realistically feasible anymore. But you still think you'll be able to play them at some point. You still believe you'll play that awesome game ... at some point.

Until you do some math.

I saw my Steam library, my collection of ROMs from consoles I never bought, my PSN library, my X-box library … and I saw about 1.245 games - not counting the ones I gave or thrown away. And I realized that the more games I had, the more I wanted to beat the older games before playing the sequels and the new ones, the more I would fall behind. To add stupidity to injury, I'm a 'savor-the-flavor' kind of guy. It's really hard for me to game 8 hours in one sitting. I need to take long breaks, which makes my gaming hours all the more fewer. In the end, I don't have a lot of time to spend on video games - and to be perfectly honest, I shouldn't have. Life and all.

So I decided to change my way of thinking. I was through being a backlog whore. I was through buying more and more games just because they were on sale and were games I could see myself playing down the line. I decided to de-tox myself out of this annoying consumerism-addictive line of thinking and made the following changes:

01) Any game that I wasn't 100% drooling over would be removed from my gaming library.

02) I stopped gaming on every system, and would instead only pick two brands to follow from now on (I chose PlayStation and X-Box)

03) I would only play the current game of an IP, despite not beating previous entries (so I said fuck-all to Gears 1-4 and Halo 1-4 and dived straight to Gears 5 and Halo Guardians)

04) I would play all game simultaneously, not waiting to beat one in order to go to the other (which makes me less anxious to beat open-world games, which are great games, but great time sinkers as well).

05) I would refrain from having more than 4 games of a specific genre (i.e. fighting games), in order to have only the best of the best in my library.

Right now I have a collection of about 25 games which I adore and play them little by little. Yeah, I missed a bit on story and lore, but I don't really care. Playing the first mission of Halo 5 was more exciting than Halo 1 and 2 combined, as well as Gears. And I can't believe I wasted my time on Final Fantasy II (mobile) and wanting to play through III-XIII before playing XV. XV is amazing and I love it the more I play it, haters be damned.

So, my advice to you, in case you're like me and have a backlog of at least 100 games, I urge you to say fuck all, uninstall those games, ignore the fiendish little voice in the back of your head that whispers something about diminishing returns and play the best of the best games in your collection, adding few games (about 5-10 each year), in order to replay those you really loved.

I'm a backlog whore no more … and I love it.

For me dedicating myself to one platform was huge.
I used to have PS4, Switch and Xbox with some light PC gaming, decided since I'd played all the PS4 exclusives and wasn't playing my Switch much, to sell both those. Have just an Xbox One X with Gamepass (and Gamepass PC but I hardly play that). I'm much more focused and am able to play games through completion rather than worrying about one console not being used and wasting money on games I never play.

Reon

I just solved it by only very, very rarely buying new games. What's the point in buying a new game when older games are just as good if not better in most cases as well as being cheaper, more widely available and matured in their DLC/update cycles? I just don't see a point in playing new games the vast majority of the time, outside of franchise loyalty I think most people just get caught up in the hype cycle of new titles and think they need it right away only to realize after the hype wore off that they never cared to play it at all.

The new Link's Awakening came out so I just played the GameBoy Color version again, from what I've seen the new one is almost exactly the same except suffering from a Funko Pop artstyle and severe framerate issues.

Last edited:

Bakkus

There are a lot of quite entertaining LetsPlays out there - and it's usually the ones with only a few views. For the love of my life I will never understand why the most annoying LetsPlayers are usually the most viewed.
Chuggaaconroy is good at most games he's playing and rarely annoying.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I've got a library of around 5,000 digital games that compliments my nearly 4,000 physical games I've collected over the years.

I know that realistically I won't be able to play every game I own, or even every game I want to. About two years ago I had a bit of introspection like you did and came to the realization that the entire concept of a "backlog" was flawed.

My gaming library is just that - a library. You don't go to the library and expect to have time to read every single book. You go and check out what you want, curl up in a nice comfy chair, and enjoy the book you picked out. Don't like it? Story isn't grabbing you? Just exchange it for something else in the library and don't even give it a second thought. Have a favorite book that every time you read it, it always cheers you up? It's okay to pick that up every now and again and read it cover to cover. If we can do this for books, why is it not okay to do it for video games?

Agree with this 100%

Things I've learned as a gamer;

- Dont be afraid to give up on a game after even an hour if your not enjoying it your time is too valuable.
- Don't be afraid to buy only your most anticipated games at full price your money is too valuable.
- Only get the season pass after you've completed the game and still want more. The money you will lose by not getting the small discount upfront will be more than offset by all the content you bought in advance and chose not to play.
- Sometimes replaying an all time favorite can be just as fun as playing a new game. Make time for replaying classics.

Spot on! I almost never pre-order anymore and I rarely pay full price for anything. There are a few titles I'm looking forward to, but I'd say 95% of my buys this generation have been at least half off of launch price.

I used to have a rule that any game I started I had to finish before moving on. After a while (when newer gen games came out that had longer stories or online replay) I allowed myself to have multiple games going, (usually one of each genre) but still pushed myself to complete each one I started.

Fast forward to today, I pretty much play what I want, finish what I like, and forget about the rest. Something clicked with this generation of console where I no longer feel the need to finish games I don't, and I don't feel guilty for not giving a game I'm not interested in "enough time" to hook me. I might end up missing out on a hidden gem, but there's no shortage of stuff to play nowadays.

I do still give most games a chance, but if the story or gameplay or something doesn't grab me withing the first five hours or so I usually move on to something else.

Some people ask "why do you buy games you know you won't play right away". For physical games, it's a few things: 1) I'm a collector and will buy games just to have them in the Collection. I'm not one of those guys that will buy something and leave it sealed, but I'll buy something (especially retro games) and test them then leave them on the shelf for months or years until I'm ready to play. 2) For newer games, I usually try to find collector's editions and/or rare, limited stuff that runs a risk of selling out. Otherwise I'll wait until I find the game used or on a deep sale. 3) Whether or not you actually own a digital game is debatable. With hard copies, there's no question. 4) For me it's not just the hunting that's fun, it's the buying, the unboxing, and then the displaying as I fill in my collection. All this in addition to actually playing the game.

And for digital games, I'd say more than 75% of my library is filler I've gotten with bundles that I usually only purchase for one of the games.

Doom85

I don't mind having a backlog, it gives me options if I feel like jumping into something less recent. Money isn't an issue for me so I don't mind buying games I don't have time to play immediately. Not everything bought has to be enjoyed right that second. Heck, should my entertainment budget significantly lower someday having a big backlog is the best "problem" ever.

SweetShark

I am a List Maniac myself and I have created lists with somewhere 20.000+ videogames on them.

So here what I do and I don't get mad:

Just create some files in your PC and categories them like
"Games I must play"
"Games I maybe play"
"Games I never play"
After that you download the pictures of the games you want to categories and name them.

Good? Good.
Now please ignore these games.

This is a trick I do when I have many games I want to play.
It create a feeling that even I forgot about them, they are still in my files I am still interested playing them.

But you won't.
You will play the games you remember and indeed want to play.

kunonabi

I used to finish every game I bought even if I hated it since I still had that mentality from gaming as a kid but a couple of years ago I realized that I value my time more. I've also gotten slightly more picky aside from the 3 consoles I collect for.

my backlog now is about 52 games which wouldnt be so bad if I didn't have so many RPGs.

LordOfChaos

I did the same, any game I'm sitting there even wondering "am I actually enjoying this?", I just won't play. Good games are many, my time for them is increasingly little. Just move on past the cruft and hit the best of.

Walledhouse

I was working on some software that acted as a roulette machine for picking your next game to play. I saw they’d actually incorporated a version into Xbox Game Pass on PC.

My ideal roulette machine, is one that forces the game open for fifteen minutes; then warns you before shutting down and opening the next.

The idea is that you are forced to speed-date games until you find that “Hey, no I want to keep playing that!” factor.

(When Emuparadise got shut down I kind of canned the project. :messenger_pensive:)

Walledhouse

I am a List Maniac

Every now and then I do something like this. By the way CrossCode is a really good Action/Adventure with a bit of a Phantasy Star Online call-back. And Full Metal Furies is a really good beat-em-up and puzzler for you and a friend.

image0.png

Just from a financial standpoint, I'm always amazed at the sizes of some folks' backlogs.

I have friends who digitally preorder most new releases in advance with their income. At the end of the day, new release games are cheaper than leaving the house (where we live).

You folks should join the "No New Games in 2020" challenge.

But Cyberpunk! Dying Light 2! I need to purchase them and then not play them.

nush

Gold Member

During the SNES Megadrive era I had so many consoles becuse I didn't want to miss out on anything good. Problem was I could not afford to support that many consoles so I missed out anyway. After that I just stuck to one console per gen and maybe picking up another cheap console used with a bundle of games at the end of the generation. It's been a method that's really worked out well for me to get the maximum value from a console.

So doing the math in response to my earlier post. I follow 12in12 on Reddit for tackling my back log. Assuming I do in fact finish 12 games in a year in order to fully complete my backlog I would need to put fourth 66 years finishing 1 game a month. Even if I did 3 games a month there really isn't anyway I'm getting pass the hump I might as well just do games I really want to play.

Currently I've been going on original release dates. On PS4 I am on Tomb Raider Definitive Edition because I focused the PS3 all the current generation.............
So ya fuck that there is no way I'd get through it. I guess I'll be reevaluating my focus when I get off work. Making a A,B,C ranking category on how much I really want to play a game then address Ranking A first based on original release date and so forth. Attentioning current generation only for now. Fuck my OCD head is not liking this.

When I look at it like that I never want to buy a game ever again currently. I want to restart and only hold two - three titles at best to play until finished. BUT MY BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION!!

Belmonte

I do something similar but I don't limit myself to a limit number of platforms and I don't give preference to modern titles over old ones. There are too many cases where the old titles plays and feels better than the modern take, despite the graphics. And even when it isn't objectively better, often it is a more unique experience, with the zeitgeist of the time, which I find refreshing.

I have couple of hundred games on Steam, probably half were acquired through bundles and others while they were on sale; most are unplayed but I hope to play them all the way through eventually.

About 100 physical copies in my collection, many used (but for really low prices). I tend to complete the physical copies soon after purchase, don’t know why but it is a nice feeling.

Chasing a good deal and getting games that I particularly like is exciting but this quickly leads to FOMO then overspending. I have to rationalize my purchases a lot more lately and skip the titles that I only find mildly interesting. This is especially true when it comes to limited physical releases of games, partly I want to support the movement to keep the medium alive but at regular prices and the rate they come out I cannot keep up.

Thinking about it now, I kind of like my backlog. It feels like building a house I’ll eventually move in to. If it grew too large I could understand resenting it though. As for the titles I’m skipping now, I have a sense they won’t be hard to find when I want to play them.

I developed quite a backlog when I started watching collecter channels on YouTube and had plenty of spare cash and time back in late 2013-2014.
I've been always been with PlayStation since '95 and stuck with PS family since, i never had any real backlog to speak of since i was still young and had no real money and no internet, i was excited to see and wanted to play games i've seen on an American show that used to air in my contry called Cybernet, i had no idea what Zelda was (even though we owned a SNES and NES clone console) until i saw Wind Waker on an episode of the show, i didn't know a what an Xbox was but i wanted it (good old days before internet platform fanboyism destroyed everything), of course i didn't get any of these games or consoles.
In 2007 i bought my first console with my own money the PSP, it was my first handheld and still my favorite, this was the beginning of my backlog, i bought PS3 but i only could offored 1 game a month at best and had to sell a lot of my old ones, i got my current job and with it a lot of cash but of course not enough time, but i wasn't thinking that at the time i went and got a used Wii because i wanted to play Xenoblade so bad, a NDS and 3DS cause of Kid Icarus Uprising and Ocarina of Time (a game i always heard about but ended up not enjoying it very much), a WiiU for Xenoblade X(ironically i only put only 2 hours into this game since release)and Wind Waker HD (the game i wanted to play back in my early teens), i went on a collecting spree for average to mediocre games released on PS3, and finally i bought a PS4 on late 2014.
I ended up getting married in 2016 and my gaming time isn't what it used to be, with no chance of playing a backlog of around 30 games (wii/WiiU), 25 games (3DS), 27 (NDS), 5(PSP), 10(PSVITA) and around 5 (Ps4).
And you know what i relized about 2 years ago?
I'll never play all of these games, i shouldn't waste money to get a Switch for a handful of games that i wouldn't have the time to play anyway.
I've stuck with playing mostly my PS4 since, and only buying what i really want to play right now and it's been a revelation, i no longer worry about the backlog or how much time i'm wasting playing only R6 Seige on most weekdays, or feel guilt for replaying games i love over new ones, i just finished RE2Remake twice last month and loved every second of it.
Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 3 last week and started Rage 2 and i will not force myself ever again to play through something just because i bought it a long time ago.
I am happy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I finally started clearing my coop backlog:
Edf 5, 4.1, 2017, IA, IR (in this order) - 2017 is my fav, 5 on pc is the best (is this god!?)
Lost Planet 2,
RE6,

Walledhouse

Games are too cheap for my own good these days. I was happily playing Destiny 2 all day every day and then Game Pass came onto the block, swaggering it’s one-hundred games for a dollar in my face. “Completed what you wanted? Too bad, here is five more titles every fortnight or something. Think you could get away without playing Rage 2? Well fuck you, now it’s installed and you’d be an idiot not to at least try it out.”

Then Origin trips and stumbles into the room, spilling it’s Titanfall 2, Battlefront 3 and Shantae across my lap. “Oh, s-s-sorry consumer I just thought...” (*tears well up in Origin’s eyes*) “Here is a free month of all our games, please notice me!”

I tenderly wipe the Frostpunk from the corners of Origin’s mouth and whisper “My hard disk is full.”

Top Bottom