• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My New 3DS XL won't read cartridges and how I didn't realized.

SalvaPot

So hey, I was thinking if this should have its own thread or I could just put in the New 3DS launch thread, but then I thought this could work as a cautionary tale. Also, help is appreciated.

Anyway my New Nintendo 3DS XL Black edition won't read all my cartridges except for Tomodachi Life, don't now why, but every time I try to open a game it tells me "The Game Cartridge has been removed" and my heart sinks in sadness.

So here is the full story: Last week I was finally able to find a New 3DS XL in the color I wanted at Toys R Us, I was pretty happy. The clerk got it for me. I noticed the box was a little bumped, but I didn't mind so I took it anyway. Here is my first mistake. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Once I'm home I open the Box. First thing I notice is that there are no AR Cards, I was not sure they where supposed to come in the package, but a quick look at the manual suggest that yes, they are suppose to be there. Ok, no biggie, I have my old ones anyway and I never used them. Mistake two.

I take out the New 3DS and I notice that it was touched all over. Hmm, I was upset by this moment, but I live about 4 hours away from my closest TRU, so eeeh. I move it around a little bit, seems to work fine. Tried Tomodachi life and it works ok. Everything seemed fine.

So I just clean it a little bit and it looks just as new, I do my System transfer. And then it tells me that the New 3DS XL didn't have a Micro SD card. Ok, its obvious now that the previous guy who used it was a jerk who fiddle around for a little bit, maybe played monster hunter on it, got bored, took the SD card and took it back to TRU, where they just put it in as new without passing at least a cloth over it.

Fine. I'm not picky. I had bought a micro SD anyway since I wanted to upgrade to 16 GB. I did the trasnfer, I passed all my stuff to the new SD card. It worked perfectly, my new 3DS had all my old info and I can play it just fine.

So I decided to put Codename STEAM and play it on my New 3DS. I tap the icon, screen goes black for a second.

"The Gamecartrige has been removed"

...wait what? Oh fuck...

I take it out, restart the console, tried Tomodachi again. It works. Took it out. Tried Codename again. Error.

I take it out. Put Majora's Mask in.

Error.

Mario Golf. Luigi's Mansion. Tales of the Abyss.

Error Error. Error.

And here I am. I can't do another system transfer for 7 days. I checked and the return policy for games at Toys R Us is 30 days, so I should be fine, but why the hell should I wait? Also, should I tell Toys R Us the console they sold me was defective AND used or would that make them reject the trade? Oh, and I have to first buy a New 3DS so I can transfer to that my account and then go back and return the defective 3DS.

Its been a really frustrating night. I guess I can play Codename STEAM on my old 3DS, but what is the point?

I'll really appreciate any tips or ideas of how I should deal with this situation.

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little, if this is not appropriate for its own thread please lock.

Aroll

Just return it. It's a hassle, but you got a used product sold as new, and it wasn't properly cleaned or tested. Have to tell them this stuff or nothing is ever done about it.

SalvaPot

That's weird. Why would it only be able to read one game?

Luckily, you can trade it back. Best of luck!

Yeah, this is the really weird part to me, Tomodachi seems to be the only game that is readable by the 3DS. Maybe the console only likes games with Japanese names or something.

this shows why the 7 day limit is stupid. system transfers should be doable at any time.

Better than the six month system reactivation limit on PS4s...

Just return it OP. It don't work. Nintendo support can transfer the licenses for you if you call.

My New 3DS actually had a weird problem where when I put my game in the icon to start the game wouldn't show up so I would have to re-insert the game again to get it to work. It stopped doing that after a week and it now reads any of my games fine. The only problem on my New 3DS is my volume slider is hard to move.

Morph-0

I think the main issue is that it is defective and this is what you should base the return on given that you were initially prepared to overlook that it may have previously been used. It's not nice but I suspect the machine was used and returned for the same fault but somehow Toys R Us resold it instead of sending it back to the manufacturer.

So many N3DS's have had defects from hinges to screen issues to the issue in op. Something's gotta be wrong in the manufacturing process.

Cider

Also OP, reminder that you can't transfer from a N3DS back to a 3DS, so keep that in my. I'm sorry yours is defective though, must be frustrating. :(

Rootbeer

Banned
It sucks, but you'll be able to get a full refund/exchange and the New 3DS XL is not that hard to find... even the black one. Sorry for the setback, but learn and move on.

I'd talk with the manager and work something out, see if they will let you keep it until they get their next shipment of *NEW* New 3DS XLs (black) and they should call you personally to let you know about it. That is the very least they should do... because they should not be selling used hardware like that.

The 3DS transfer system used to be way more strict. It used to have a set limit on how many transfers you could do TOTAL regardless of the time in-between. Now it is infinite but with a 7-day required gap between transfers. At least you didn't use your last transfer on it. Now that would be a nightmare.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I haven't played any retail games on mine yet. Hmm...

Better than the six month system reactivation limit on PS4s...

Just return it OP. It don't work. Nintendo support can transfer the licenses for you if you call.

That's only for remote deactivation on the rare occasion it's needed.
You can activate/deactivate on the local system as much as you want.

Madao

Also OP, reminder that you can't transfer from a N3DS back to a 3DS, so keep that in my. I'm sorry yours is defective though, must be frustrating. :(

really?

whoa. i dodged a bullet hard. i was gonna transfer my stuff from my main 3DS with capture card to a N3DSXL but decided against that and instead transfered a secondary since i was indecisive.
why is that like that anyway?

fernoca

You waited too much though. It is a 4 hours drive, but at least you should've called someone in the store, explain the fingerprints, missing AR Card and Micro SD back then.

There shouldn't be any problem, though now you need to think about what to say that doesn't sound weird to them regarding all the problems you had with it and why you didn't call or went back.

You had a lot of patience, so good luck. Hopefully things will be solved without problems.

Kucan

really?

whoa. i dodged a bullet hard. i was gonna transfer my stuff from my main 3DS with capture card to a N3DSXL but decided against that and instead transfered a secondary since i was indecisive.
why is that like that anyway?

At a guess, it's to stop N3DS-only games getting transferred but I don't see why that couldn't be done with a blacklist.

So, "Because Nintendo" is why.

Garou

Instead of writing all of this on GAF, why not tell all of this to Toys r us? GAF can't help you in this case.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
So hey, I was thinking if this should have its own thread or I could just put in the New 3DS launch thread, but then I thought this could work as a cautionary tale. Also, help is appreciated.

Anyway my New Nintendo 3DS XL Black edition won't read all my cartridges except for Tomodachi Life, don't now why, but every time I try to open a game it tells me "The Game Cartridge has been removed" and my heart sinks in sadness.

So here is the full story: Last week I was finally able to find a New 3DS XL in the color I wanted at Toys R Us, I was pretty happy. The clerk got it for me. I noticed the box was a little bumped, but I didn't mind so I took it anyway. Here is my first mistake. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Once I'm home I open the Box. First thing I notice is that there are no AR Cards, I was not sure they where supposed to come in the package, but a quick look at the manual suggest that yes, they are suppose to be there. Ok, no biggie, I have my old ones anyway and I never used them. Mistake two.

I take out the New 3DS and I notice that it was touched all over. Hmm, I was upset by this moment, but I live about 4 hours away from my closest TRU, so eeeh. I move it around a little bit, seems to work fine. Tried Tomodachi life and it works ok. Everything seemed fine.

So I just clean it a little bit and it looks just as new, I do my System transfer. And then it tells me that the New 3DS XL didn't have a Micro SD card. Ok, its obvious now that the previous guy who used it was a jerk who fiddle around for a little bit, maybe played monster hunter on it, got bored, took the SD card and took it back to TRU, where they just put it in as new without passing at least a cloth over it.

Fine. I'm not picky. I had bought a micro SD anyway since I wanted to upgrade to 16 GB. I did the trasnfer, I passed all my stuff to the new SD card. It worked perfectly, my new 3DS had all my old info and I can play it just fine.

So I decided to put Codename STEAM and play it on my New 3DS. I tap the icon, screen goes black for a second.

"The Gamecartrige has been removed"

...wait what? Oh fuck...

I take it out, restart the console, tried Tomodachi again. It works. Took it out. Tried Codename again. Error.

I take it out. Put Majora's Mask in.

Error.

Mario Golf. Luigi's Mansion. Tales of the Abyss.

Error Error. Error.

And here I am. I can't do another system transfer for 7 days. I checked and the return policy for games at Toys R Us is 30 days, so I should be fine, but why the hell should I wait? Also, should I tell Toys R Us the console they sold me was defective AND used or would that make them reject the trade? Oh, and I have to first buy a New 3DS so I can transfer to that my account and then go back and return the defective 3DS.

Its been a really frustrating night. I guess I can play Codename STEAM on my old 3DS, but what is the point?

I'll really appreciate any tips or ideas of how I should deal with this situation.

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little, if this is not appropriate for its own thread please lock.

Mine did this once while playing monster hunter. I then bought it digitally and took the game back. Every other game has been fine so far. Feel bad for you op. Take it back and get it swapped

Instead of writing all of this on GAF, why not tell all of this to Toys r us? GAF can't help you in this case.

This is a forum where people discuss things. If a topic doesn't interest you why post in it? Besides he already stated he can return it. I love these kind of posts that show up in every thread like this.

The New 3ds does seem to have some of the worst hardware issues of any Nintendo hardware I've seen. So many complaints on the internet as well as my own experiences with it. If they have one on hand to exchange I'd test it before leaving. If you ship it to Nintendo the turn around will probably take longer than the next system transfer date anyway.

SalvaPot

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm going back on the 20th to pick up Mario Party 10, so what I'm going to do is pick up another New 3DS, check it works fine, transfer it to that one, and then return the defective one. I'm a regular at that TRU's so it should be quick and painless.

Oh. and I checked Shin Megami Tensei FOR SCIENCE.

It works too. Also Chrono Trigger, but all the others won't.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm going back on the 20th to pick up Mario Party 10, so what I'm going to do is pick up another New 3DS, check it works fine, transfer it to that one, and then return the defective one. I'm a regular at that TRU's so it should be quick and painless.

That's incredibly strange.

//ARCANUM

you.... regularly drive 4 hours to toys r us?.....

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
you.... regularly drive 4 hours to toys r us?.....

image.php

That's how Salva do.

Top Bottom