• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo: Switch retail games will give (a few) gold points

Shiggy

We've already seen a hint at this from Switch previews, but Nintendo provided details now.

Complete this mission by registering a Nintendo Switch game card to your Nintendo Account. You can do this directly from the HOME Menu of your Nintendo Switch. Press the + or - Button while the icon of the game you want to register is selected. Then go to "My Nintendo Rewards Programme" and select "Earn Points".

Which mission is completed is determined based on the Nintendo eShop value of the respective game at the time of registration. If the game is not listed for sale in Nintendo eShop, it qualifies for the highest point mission (you earn 16 Gold Points).

Each Nintendo Switch game card can be registered only once. If your game card was registered to a different Nintendo Account before, you will not be able to register it anymore. If you can't register a game card you purchased as someone else did so already, please contact the retailer you purchased it from for support.

A game card can be registered within two years from the official release day of the game in your country. You can confirm the release date of a game by visiting its details page on Nintendo eShop.

Main points:
- Each card can be registered only to one account
- Registration only within two years of release (does not apply to digital purchases!)
- Big reduction in points compared to digital purchases:
screenshot2017-03-02arekwx.png

https://my.nintendo.com/missions

JavyOO7

That is a swing and a miss. Gold points should be the same with retail/digital. So like 80 gold points for digital and retail...

Thraktor

Points do seem quite low for physical games, but it's better than nothing, and I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising that they would try to push people towards digital.

foltzie1

This means that each and every single card has a unique system identifiable ID # built into each game card. Not just a circuit board silkscreen.

That could be. . . interesting.

Used to be digital exclusive so it's nice that you can redeem physical now.
It's apparently fairly easy too, though I'm not sure how it'll recognize if the game is new or not...or maybe it won't and that's why it's lower?

maxcriden

I'm not thrilled about that. It's punishing retail purchasers. Maybe because of widespread Club Nintendo code generation? I think I read OK here that that was an issue. But reducing the point values won't necessarily help combat that.

Shiggy

I'm not thrilled about that. It's punishing retail purchasers. Maybe because of widespread Club Nintendo code generation? I think I read OK here that that was an issue. But reducing the point values won't necessarily help combat that.

There was no Club Nintendo code generator outside of some scams that tried to get a virus on your PC. Just as there's no generator for eShop download codes.

Illucio

Banned
Physical giving far less point than digital ?
Huh... I don't like that : /.
Well digital you have to pay full prices, have to pay for pricier sdcards for said content to download on, and you don't have the liberty to sell/trade a digital game as you would physical.

This is just a nice positive for digital buyers since Nintendo profits more if you buy digitally.

To bad the new reward system sucks.

When the rewards are 30% off a game you already have from 5 years ago, who even cares HOW many gold points are given out?

jonno394

Yeah I'd agree that physical should give the same amount of points, but it's not a huge deal imo, especially as retail has resale ability and the fact you might score the game for £15 but get the £60 worth or points.

maxcriden

There was no Club Nintendo code generator outside of some scams that tried to get a virus on your PC. Just as there's no generator for eShop download codes.

Oh, my mistake. Just people going to GameStop and getting every code under the sun? Is that what they're worried about here?

atomsk

Party Pooper
When the rewards are 30% off a game you already have from 5 years ago, who even cares HOW many gold points are given out?

pretty much this

if you're the first person from gamefly to rent a Switch game you could rack up gold points this way... but why bother?

JavyOO7

So gold points are valuable enough to lose the ability to resell your games?

I know nothing about Gold points. Can you buy games with them or something?

So far you can use gold points to get 20-30% off of games. Like TMS#FE you can get a 30 percent off coupon for 140 gold points. I'm gonna use that.

Shiggy

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Right now, you can redeem 140 (!) gold points to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the same price as at retail (40 EUR). What a deal. I have 260 gold points and there's nothing to spend on.

at least they are GOLD points and not silver ones.

I've only used silver points until now...

maxcriden

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Right now, you can redeem 140 (!) gold points to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the same price as at retail (40 EUR). What a deal. I have 260 gold points and there's nothing to spend on.

That's especially bad in EU where the retail games are generally below the digital cost. Here at least the MSRP tends to be about equal to the retail cost, though 20% lower with GCU/Prime. Unfortunately though it doesn't feel like a great deal here either.

So if you buy a digital code from a retailer, that still counts? You don't have to buy eShop credit?

Right, that should still count, I believe. (Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

No, not at all. You can get a 30% discount off select games, at this time. On rare occasion you've been able to get full games with them.

https://my.nintendo.com/reward_categories

So far you can use gold points to get 20-30% off of games. Like TMS#FE you can get a 30 percent off coupon for 140 gold points. I'm gonna use that.

Oooook then. Considering I ordered all the big upcoming Switch games physically with GCU and Visa checkout making them sub $40 I have no idea why I would ever even give the slightest F$&# about this then. Thanks for the info.

maxcriden

Oooook then. Considering I ordered all the big upcoming Switch games physically with GCU and Visa checkout making them sub $40 I have no idea why I would ever even give the slightest F$&# about this then. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that price cannot be beat. I think the only time you might like to use your physical copy accumulated points is for an eShop only game discount.

Lgndryhr

That doesn't seem right to punish physical purchase owners. It is whatever though. I'm not into the Switch for these points. Only used them like 2 or 3 times before the overhaul on a poster, free game for 3DS, and something else misc.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah I'd agree that physical should give the same amount of points, but it's not a huge deal imo, especially as retail has resale ability and the fact you might score the game for £15 but get the £60 worth or points.
Why though? They make more money from digital purchases... So it makes sense that they give out more rewards for those.

This isn't much different than Sonys spend XZ amount of money on PSN during that month and get 10 bucks or so back. Or the WiiU Digital Promotion.

Retailers are already pushing sales for physical goods, there need to be some incentive to go digital.

JavyOO7

Why though? They make more money from digital purchases... So it makes sense that they give out more rewards for those.

This isn't much different than Sonys spend XZ amount of money on PSN during that month and get 10 bucks or so back. Or the WiiU Digital Promotion.

Retailers are already pushing sales for physical goods, there need to be some incentive to go digital.

I miss that so much. Shame it only lasted a year or two?

Ein Bear

They should bring back that digital rebate scheme they had for the first few years of the Wii U. That was great.

Edit: Beaten! Yeah it was a fantastic scheme.

Raw64life

It makes sense, given that going digital strips you of a lot of consumer rights and transfers that power over to corporations, that they'd want to push you into going digital.

Still staying physical, thanks.

daxgame

meh :( I buy only physical so this is disappointing, but to be fair I understand the reasoning behind it (it's not just "promoting digital" but the fact that with physical they don't know how much you spent)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
meh :( I buy only physical so this is disappointing, but to be fair I understand the reasoning behind it (it's not just "promoting digital" but the fact that with physical they don't know how much you spent)

Sure they do. Nintendo games never fucking ever drop in price.

Matbtz

It's not much but it's better than nothing since retail games are almost always much cheaper.

In Europe they really do. I buy most of my Nintendo games for 50% off from the eShop price, with some even much lower and others even free lol.

Yep in Europe retail games are cheaper than digital games WITH my Nintendo discounts

Taker666

This means that each and every single card has a unique system identifiable ID # built into each game card. Not just a circuit board silkscreen.

That could be. . . interesting.

Maybe...maybe not. Perhaps that's why the gold points are so low, multiple people might be able to use the same card to claim points.

Top Bottom