• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS2 purchase dilemma - long and boring read

If you're not up to reading all of that, you can skip to the last paragraph.

I sold my previous PS2 a year ago when I faced an urgent need for quick cash and I realized that I could live without it until MGS3 came out... Well, now MGS3 is around the corner and fortunately I have the money to get a new PS2... If only it was as easy as it sounds.

I want a brand new, latest model (SCPH-50001?), NTSC USA console.

I live in Jordan, I asked around in every decent shop in town and I couldn't find a single new NTSC PS2 for sale, everyone here buys a PAL console with a modchip already installed to play everything. I could do the same, get a modded PAL PS2 from a local shop, that would play my original NTSC games, I'll also skip on the step-down power converter, and I'll even pay less than option #2 (see below)... But I really don't feel like getting a modded PAL PS2, I totally hate the thought of having to constantly press/hold the Reset button or some other funky method to run import games, which many modchips require you to do. I want a plug-and-play, untouched PS2 dammit.

So my only other option seems to be to order one online, now for various reasons which are unnecessary to mention here, I can only order from Amazon.com, I just looked up PS2 on Amazon and it says they can ship one in 1 - 2 days through Gamestop, I'll have it ship to a street address in NY which I use for most of my online orders and it will be shipped to my country by a 3rd party.

Following are the Amazon.com order details:

Items: $149.99
Shipping & Handling: $6.49

Total Before Tax: $156.48
Estimated Tax:* $13.50

Order Total: $169.98

On top of that, I will have to pay %35 of the bill for governmet customs ($59.5), plus $52 shipping charges from NY to Jordan (based on package weight, assuming a PS2 box weighs 4.5 kg according to Liksang, so in total the PS2 will cost me $281.5, and that's best case senario :(

Anyway, what I would REALLY like to know is: What are the chances of Gamestop shipping me a latest model PS2? (with progressive scan DVD, built-in IR, etc), I definitely don't want to pay that amount of money if I'm not getting what I want exactly... I could pay less and get a modded PAL PS2 that will play anything I throw at it.

Thoughts? Advice?

Update: I emailed orders@gamestop.com and asked them if I'll get the plus pack if I order a new PS2 or if some of their warehouses still ships older models and I got the following reply:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for writing to us at GameStop.com

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to give out that information.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon at GameStop.com.
Best regards,
Frank
GameStop.com
World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products
<<http://www.gamestop.com/>>

BASTARDS :( :( :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you shop for a PS2 with a modchip that doesn't require pressing of any buttons to run import games? I'm not much on the PS2 mod scene (XBOX on the other hand....) but if you could get one that doesn't require a button press, surely that is better than an untouched one?

I would get a modded one personally, because mod chips rule.

I don't know, all my friends have modded PS2s and ALL of them are fucked, games hardly ever run from the first try, they keep pressing Reset and/or turning the console off numerous times until the game finally boots... I don't know if it's the modchips causing that, or if it's their laser getting fucked from playing so many pirated games. But I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
adelgary said:
I don't know, all my friends have modded PS2s and ALL of them are fucked, games hardly ever run from the first try, they keep pressing Reset and/or turning the console off numerous times until the game finally boots... I don't know if it's the modchips causing that, or if it's their laser getting fucked from playing so many pirated games. But I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation.

I guess if you could find a later model? Maybe they are running into the shitness of the early model PS2s? My PAL early console was an absolute turd, if you could get a later model modded one I reckon you'd be ok. What kind of problem, disc read errors?

Not Disc Read Errors... But they get all kinds of stuff including the red screen of death, or a black screen.

Dammit, only 2 weeks ago when I asked around for NTSC PS2 I was told they could get one for me (for the same price as a PAL one), but I went out of the country for a while and now when I came back asking for an NTSC PS2 sounds to them like asking for the impossible... Must be the shortages in America.

shuri said:
Sounds like Jordanias bootleggers cant mod to save their life ;)

It's not only Jordan's bootleggers, my best friend who got his PS2 chipped in Moscow (with Messiah 2 supposedly) has the same issues.

cvxfreak

If you request for a Plus Pack, you shall get it. If there's a purchase note on the online order form, MAKE IT VERY CLEAR about what kind of PS2 you would like. Threaten to return it, as well. :p

Dagon

Why not buy a brand new one off of someone on eBay? You would pay less shipping (more than likely) and if you ask them nicely they might even send it to you as a gift, thus avoiding your import duties as well.

Dagon said:
Why not buy a brand new one off of someone on eBay? You would pay less shipping (more than likely) and if you ask them nicely they might even send it to you as a gift, thus avoiding your import duties as well.

I mentioned that I can only order online from Amazon.com, no other retailer would accept my credit card (and I can't use eBay or PayPal)... Last time I ordered from Gamestop.com, I lost $200 and never got them back.

CVXFREAK said:
If you request for a Plus Pack, you shall get it. If there's a purchase note on the online order form, MAKE IT VERY CLEAR about what kind of PS2 you would like. Threaten to return it, as well. :p

Amazon.com don't have a purchase note.

you should be pretty much guaranteed to get a 50001 from gamestop nowadays...

but seriously, just get a PAL PS2 modded by a DMS3 Plus and you won't have to worry...

When I asked what modchip they use, they said something like "M3" or something like that... What could it be?

Are PS2 network adapters region-locked? Can I use an American NA on a PAL PS2? What about HDLoader?

I emailed orders@gamestop.com and asked them if I'll get the plus pack if I order a new PS2 or if some of their warehouses still ships older models and I got the following reply:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for writing to us at GameStop.com

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to give out that information.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon at GameStop.com.
Best regards,
Frank
GameStop.com
World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products
<<http://www.gamestop.com/>>

BASTARDS!

I think I'm gonna cave in and get a modded PAL one :( Or should I take my chances and order online?

CueTheMusic said:
If you order the online pack, aren't you guaranteed a plus model?

The online pack has been discontinued (Sony stopped production, probably in order to release a new bundle for the holiday season) and is out of stock everywhere.

Woohoo! PS2 is back in stock at Amazon.com through Toys R Us, I'll try emailing them and maybe they'll be more informative than GameStop.

This is why I hate dealing with PS2s. Releasing thirty different version of the same hardware with minor tweaks and changes is nothing short of iditoic. And I'm not talking about stuff that's under the hood, I'm refering to things like different kind of media being playable, remote control ports, etc. I want to get a new PS2 and still have no idea what I'm going to get.

What does the latest model get you? Will my remote control work from a year ago work on the new unit? Don't they come with them?

Top Bottom