• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

neoism

Ok not sure were the ask this. My friends Ps3 yellow lighted yesterday,(he said he bought a movie and had to delete some stuff to make room, when he did it mess up on him) so he wants me to take his HD and put it in my 80gb, to get all of his saves and stuff (his system was a 60gb)
Also he already bought a 120gb slim, and I was wondering if the HD's are backwards compatible with the older 60gb systems. I really don't want to mess with my system in any way, but if it has no risk of fucking up my system, I guess I'll help him out!

neoism said:
Ok not sure were the ask this. My friends Ps3 yellow lighted yesterday,(he said he bought a movie and had to delete some stuff to make room, when he did it mess up on him) so he wants me to take his HD and put it in my 80gb, to get all of his saves and stuff (his system was a 60gb)
Also he already bought a 120gb slim, and I was wondering if the HD's are backwards compatible with the older 60gb systems. I really don't want to mess with my system in any way, but if it has no risk of fucking up my system, I guess I'll help him out!
All PS3 HDDs are the same type and size (physically) and are compatible. They are just standard 2.5" SATA laptop hard drives.

HOWEVER, if you take his hard drive and put it in another system, it will not recognize it until it is formatted. This means everything on the drive will be deleted. The drives are encrypted and tied to a system. They are interchangeable, but can only be used in one system at a time and get wiped out when you switch systems. The only way for him to salvage the data on his drive is to repair his original system so that it works long enough for him to back everything up or do the ethernet transfer method. The ethernet transfer method is definitely preferred because the backup/restore doesn't transfer copy-protected saves, whereas the ethernet transfer method transfers absolutely everything.

Also, if you put another drive in your system, your old drive will need to be reformatted. Basically, just don't do this.

neoism

CrayzeeCarl said:
All PS3 HDDs are the same type and size (physically) and are compatible. They are just standard 2.5" SATA laptop hard drives.

HOWEVER, if you take his hard drive and put it in another system, it will not recognize it until it is formatted. This means everything on the drive will be deleted. The drives are encrypted and tied to a system. They are interchangeable, but can only be used in one system at a time and get wiped out when you switch systems. The only way for him to salvage the data on his drive is to repair his original system so that it works long enough for him to back everything up or do the ethernet transfer method. The ethernet transfer method is definitely preferred because the backup/restore doesn't transfer copy-protected saves, whereas the ethernet transfer method transfers absolutely everything.

Also, if you put another drive in your system, your old drive will need to be reformatted. Basically, just don't do this.
thank you sir

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
So it turns out the reason my 60 gig ps3 has been dying is because the power supply was on it's way out. Dude I gave it to for fixing already charged me 60 for the reflow, and will charge another 30 for the power supply. At this point I'm conflicted. Do I send it to Sony for 150 for fixing (I live in Oregon) or do I get that new power supply and use it, or do I get the new power supply and trade it in? Help gaf! I'm also unemployed, so cash is a huge issue.

Um, advice please? =)

My Slim hath arrived. :D

I think I'll do the RE5 DLC tonight, wait until the new receiver gets here for GOW3, gonna beat Batman over the weekend.

Fox1304

Got my Slim this week end, and called Sony today in order to reactive my Singstar downloads, and deactivate all my accounts.

No problem for the Singstar songs.

However, they told me that they couldn't deactive my PSN account, because they didn't get my console 5 times in repair (WTF ?). And they told me to deactivate them myself. When I answered that it wasn't possible since I didn't have the consoles at reach, they gently said that if they see that it's a case of account-sharing, they will lock the account, and the 5 consoles linked so that they'll never be able to connect to PSN ... ever.

Pretty scary.

hertog

My ps3 slim just died.
It won't turn on anymore. If I try to turn it on it just dies and the red light even disappears...
I went through 2 360's, 3 ps3's and now this slim.... fuck this generation.
I take good care of my consoles, but they just seem to die over and over again......

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
hertog said:
My ps3 slim just died.
It won't turn on anymore. If I try to turn it on it just dies and the red light even disappears...
I went through 2 360's, 3 ps3's and now this slim.... fuck this generation.
I take good care of my consoles, but they just seem to die over and over again......
I am thinking about getting a slim soon. .....what slim are dying? My 360 is still going after 3 years so maybe I will be lucky with the slim PS3. My Wal-Mart has 5 slim ps3 in and I want to get one but this scary me

hertog

Kasumi1970 said:
I am thinking about getting a slim soon. .....what slim are dying? My 360 is still going after 3 years so maybe I will be lucky with the slim PS3. My Wal-Mart has 5 slim ps3 in and I want to get one but this scary me

Only found one guy who had the same problem while google-ing.
But it sure sucks, I still have so many working consoles but this gen just gives up on me.....

Cornbread78

Kasumi1970 said:

My B/C 80gig got YLOD, so I bought a Slim and I friggen love the thing! It's much quieter and runs cooler than the fatty I got mine at Wal-Mart and I bought their extended 2yr warrenty as well for only $20! That's a friggen' bargain to have my system covered for an extra two years!

BTW- I got my fatty fixed and shipped back to me in less than 2 weeks. Big props to Sony, although, I am pretty pissed they had to whipe the harddrive, including the copy protected KZ2 data...

So question...my 60gb YLOD on me this morning =( I'm trying to figure out the best course of action to take. What I was thinking was taking out the 320gb HDD I put in the 60, and putting the original back in, having the 60GB fixed, and putting the 320 hdd back in. Will it recognize it or make it force a reformat?

Hell I would be happy enought to get it going long enough to get my FFXIII disc out and do a back up of the data, then go by a slim...though I would miss my BC of teh 60 and the ability to throw in Persona3/4 and SF3

52club

I think this is a Blu-Ray drive, but I thought I would put it up for comment from the Vets of this thread. While playing a disc based game the PS3 froze. Now when I load any Disc (DVDs, Blu-Rays, PS3 games) all that happens is the loading icons "spins" that is located next to the date and clock.

So Gaf is it time for a new Blu-Ray drive? I did some non-gaf research and it appears to disc is not spinning at all based on the label when I put the disc in and when it is ejected. I also found some other sites stating sometimes these issues are software based, and restoring the PS3 can resolve the issue. Any thoughts?

52club said:
I think this is a Blu-Ray drive, but I thought I would put it up for comment from the Vets of this thread. While playing a disc based game the PS3 froze. Now when I load any Disc (DVDs, Blu-Rays, PS3 games) all that happens is the loading icons "spins" that is located next to the date and clock.

So Gaf is it time for a new Blu-Ray drive? I did some non-gaf research and it appears to disc is not spinning at all based on the label when I put the disc in and when it is ejected. I also found some other sites stating sometimes these issues are software based, and restoring the PS3 can resolve the issue. Any thoughts?
Your Blu-ray lens is dead. You are correct that it does not spin. Before spinning the disc, the lens tries to "flash" the disc to detect the disc type (BD/DVD/CD), but it fails so it just stops.

Fox1304 said:
Got my Slim this week end, and called Sony today in order to reactive my Singstar downloads, and deactivate all my accounts.

However, they told me that they couldn't deactive my PSN account, because they didn't get my console 5 times in repair (WTF ?). And they told me to deactivate them myself. When I answered that it wasn't possible since I didn't have the consoles at reach, they gently said that if they see that it's a case of account-sharing, they will lock the account, and the 5 consoles linked so that they'll never be able to connect to PSN ... ever.

Pretty scary.

I thought PSN sharing was ok, wasn't this recommended by Tretton?

jett

D-Member
dreamer3kx said:

Yes I'm sure Sony is ok with people getting their shit for free. :lol Doesn't matter what Tretton once said.

lupinko

Fox1304 said:

Pretty scary.

Looks like they are clamping down on it now, well you could use gamesharing for actual sharing, but still, first and foremost it's for insurance in case your console goes kaput.

Try to get one of your friends to deactivate so you can get a share back. From the looks of it, that's the only way, or complain to a manager. :lol

lupinko

suffah said:
My launch import 60GB is dying. I don't mind paying the $150 to fix it if necessary, but will they send me another JPN system? I'd be pissed if they sent me a normal US 60GB.

EDIT: Yes I'm in the US.

Even if you beg for them to take it in (which I did), the company SCEA contracts to repair PS3s will still refuse to repair the console as it is out of region (it sucks, but it's really legalities really, sucks for us importers).

They would recommend you to send it back to SCEJ, iirc SCEJ's repair fees are similar, but most likely, you would need a proxy in Japan to send it in for you. So there are a lot of shipping fees involved.

Another route would be to send it to that company mentioned in this thread that does repairs for many businesses, they seem legit (even have BBB certification).

Hope that helps.

Cornbread78

dreamer3kx said:

Yeah.... NO. My buddy had his account banned for letting someone use his account to play under (for fun), then the kid went onto the PS store and racked up a huge bill by downloading games onto his machine from my buddy's parents credit cards account. My parent's found out, and confronted him about it, and he said he didn't download anything, so they called Sony to file a fraud report, subsiquently, they found out it was the friend that had doen it and Sony banned both accounts because that is still considered "file sharing."

Fox1304

Yep, looks like they're becoming harder on this psn-sharing trend ...
The stupid thing is that if you ask them to reset all activations, telling that you didn't know it was considered as a fraud, they won't do shit .... Pretty dumb I think :s

hertog

well send it to sony. I'll get a free game for my troubles. Still a month without a ps3 pretty sucks. I still had heavy rain, GOW III and final fantasy to finish

DonMigs85

Cornbread78 said:
Yeah.... NO. My buddy had his account banned for letting someone use his account to play under (for fun), then the kid went onto the PS store and racked up a huge bill by downloading games onto his machine from my buddy's parents credit cards account. My parent's found out, and confronted him about it, and he said he didn't download anything, so they called Sony to file a fraud report, subsiquently, they found out it was the friend that had doen it and Sony banned both accounts because that is still considered "file sharing."
Did they ban the console itself too?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just got the yellow light of doom , it's one yellow flash then red flashes , that the YLOD right ? .

it's superior 60GB unit , didn't have any problem with it at all was this because of the new FW ? ,I hope the video game system repair shop in my town that fixes 360s fix this too , I don't have money to buy Slim or any other thing now.

I am sad...

KillerAJD

Fox1304 said:

Pretty scary.
Yeah, they are a fucking pain in the ass to get your accounts deactivated for game content. Like I said previously in the thread, I ended up just hanging up on the guy after continuously telling him I was unable to deactivate the accounts. A couple of hours later I get a call from Sony saying they would deactivate them once only on a gesture of good will :lol. Never heard anything about locking the account, although I did say I shared it with family members, so maybe that's why.

netguy503

Totobeni said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just got the yellow light of doom , it's one yellow flash then red flashes , that the YLOD right ? .

it's superior 60GB unit , didn't have any problem with it at all was this because of the new FW ? ,I hope the video game system repair shop in my town that fixes 360s fix this too , I don't have money to buy Slim or any other thing now.

I am sad...

Good thing is a slim should be $150 and not $400 if you send your dead console in. You have enough for that?

Also, the only PS3 I had a YLOD on ALSO happened after the last FW update (It was a FW update that ALOT of people complained about and I saw lots of threads upon threads with MULTIPLE pages complaining about it right after my YLOD and I think Sony even released a small update for the FW to fix multiple issues people were having, I think that was the last one right?). I'm not saying a FW update is the case, but it's mighty suspicious that you and me both YLOD right after a FW update and mine happened on a FW update ALOT of people took issue with.

2real4tv

I asked this question before but no one answered......
ANYONE HAVE ANY LUCK WITH A SONY REPAIRED SYSTEM, MEANING THE SYSTEM NOT DYING ON THEM IN A SHORT TIME?
Basically is it worth it?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
netguy503 said:
Good thing is a slim should be $150 and not $400 if you send your dead console in. You have enough for that?

Also, the only PS3 I had a YLOD on ALSO happened after the last FW update (It was a FW update that ALOT of people complained about and I saw lots of threads upon threads with MULTIPLE pages complaining about it right after my YLOD and I think Sony even released a small update for the FW to fix multiple issues people were having, I think that was the last one right?). I'm not saying a FW update is the case, but it's mighty suspicious that you and me both YLOD right after a FW update and mine happened on a FW update ALOT of people took issue with.

I am not in US of A and my PS3 is...was imported so yeah :(

and I am not sure but I really think it's FW related , It was first time I turn it on since I updated to the new FW and that happened ( no problems before ) , will see if there are other guys report the same thing.

for now I need to kill myself or something :( :(

netguy503

2real4tv said:
ANYONE HAVE ANY LUCK WITH A SONY REPAIRED SYSTEM, MEANING THE SYSTEM NOT DYING ON THEM IN A SHORT TIME?

Once a system has died, at least with this generation's faulty hardware, it is dead forever regardless of repair. It will only work for months at best. I really wouldn't buy a refurb this generation. There is no way to permanently revive the system once it has died, only ways to keep it alive for a little while longer.

Zen

Banned
Add another one to the 'firmware 3.21' list

Zen said:
I think the update killed my PS3

So here's the timeline:

Downloaded the update, hit cancel because I was unsure
Shut down
Started it up later
Redownloaded the update, hit accept, installed
Restarted PS3
Downloaded and Installed Heavy Rain DLC
Started Heavy Rain
Yellow light for half a second before flashing red

My PS3 has had no real problems before this (it's a 60gig classic PS3 with BC). It's way too coincidental that the very first time that I tried to execute a game post update that the system completely dies.

I can start it up again, but nothing comes up. It sits in green state for about 15 seconds before turning yellow for a fraction of a second before flashing red again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20572197&postcount=2055

I don't have any saves backed up or anything, if I send it in I'm guessing HDD wipe...

2real4tv said:

My Sony refurb lasted longer than the brand new one so yeah I think it's fine :)

netguy503

Zen said:
Add another one to the 'firmware 3.21' list

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20572197&postcount=2055

I don't have any saves backed up or anything, if I send it in I'm guessing HDD wipe...

for anyone having trouble with the firmware update...why don't you download it off the internet to a memory stick and install it on your PS3 that way? As I said mine YLOD'ed after the FW update before that and this is what I do now and it seems to be fine (I'm also not fighting with everyone in the world trying to get the update).

Zen

Banned
netguy503 said:
for anyone having trouble with the firmware update...why don't you download it off the internet to a memory stick and install it on your PS3 that way? As I said mine YLOD'ed after the FW update before that and this is what I do now and it seems to be fine (I'm also not fighting with everyone in the world trying to get the update).

That's a good idea. It could be a corrupt FW download. It might also have a higher chance of happening on old school 60gug units. Regardless I'll be doing your method from now on.

Thanks.

Phenomic

Well my 60 gig stopped reading discs a few days ago at the Square-Enix logo while loading FF13. Luckily, I was just going back to do some missions and had already beaten it along with GOW3. Figure I have a month or two to get it back before anything new comes out that I will want to play.

However I'm at a loss if I want to fix mine and keep Backwards Compatibility or spend a little less and get a Slim from Sony. If I go for the slim do they send you a new one in box or is it an already opened refurbished unit?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I figure this is the thread to ask.

My GPU died back in Feburary this year, I sent my PS3 to Sony. I get it back about the the th or 9th of March, it's been fine until the past couple of days. Where I get "artifacts" after a couple of hours of play on the system.

It is apparently random, and upon loading the same area, the artifact that was there before is gone and everything is fine.

I have a 90 day warrenty (so until June) with Sony, and I'm wondering if this is a start of the GPU dying... AGAIN, or if this is a random loading issue or if Sony even fucking bothered repairing my GPU AT ALL before I sent them $180 to fix it (the assholes). And if I should send it back to them (and miss out on Bad Company 2 *sigh*) again and chew them out to FIX IT RIGHT THIS TIME.

Note: It's a PS2 BC Peter Parker, and no, I don't want a fucking Slim as I still play PS2 games on the system. But it fucking sucks that it was fine for about three weeks and now is throwing out sretched triangles/geometry at random times. It could be two hours of play, it could be four hours of play. And the PS3 seems to heat up pretty quick (even though I've been pretty much vacuuming the bitch week after week) after about 30min-1 hour of being on.

It's a curious thing. Should I send it back to Sony?

52club

Well I trusted your advice CrayzeeCarl. I have been looking for the best picture/video tutorial so I have something to follow when I replace the laser (perform the surgery as I refer to it). Thanks in advance, if a link cannot be posted in a thread just PM a link.

I miss my PS3. This is one dead PS3 and one dead 360. I think I'm done with any consoles besides Nintendo for the next generation. Well, maybe I'll hold off for at least four years for all these design issues to be identified and the price to come down:lol .

The best part is the posts (in other forums) of why you shouldn't use the PS3 as your DVD and Blu-Ray player. This is the point that I feel like the pendulum has to start working towards quality from a lower price.

DonMigs85

TheSeks said:
I figure this is the thread to ask.

My GPU died back in Feburary this year, I sent my PS3 to Sony. I get it back about the the th or 9th of March, it's been fine until the past couple of days. Where I get "artifacts" after a couple of hours of play on the system.

It is apparently random, and upon loading the same area, the artifact that was there before is gone and everything is fine.

I have a 90 day warrenty (so until June) with Sony, and I'm wondering if this is a start of the GPU dying... AGAIN, or if this is a random loading issue or if Sony even fucking bothered repairing my GPU AT ALL before I sent them $180 to fix it (the assholes). And if I should send it back to them (and miss out on Bad Company 2 *sigh*) again and chew them out to FIX IT RIGHT THIS TIME.

Note: It's a PS2 BC Peter Parker, and no, I don't want a fucking Slim as I still play PS2 games on the system. But it fucking sucks that it was fine for about three weeks and now is throwing out sretched triangles/geometry at random times. It could be two hours of play, it could be four hours of play. And the PS3 seems to heat up pretty quick (even though I've been pretty much vacuuming the bitch week after week) after about 30min-1 hour of being on.

It's a curious thing. Should I send it back to Sony?
Sounds like a struggling fan, or maybe they didn't apply the thermal goo properly on the GPU.

Question: My 60GB PS3 YLODed on me again (3rd time). This time, however, I can't eject the disc from the PS3. I know when blu-ray drive is dead, it's red light instead of yellow (or is it?). Any suggestions?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DonMigs85 said:
Sounds like a struggling fan, or maybe they didn't apply the thermal goo properly on the GPU.

So, should I send it back? I mean I just played four hours fine. But the artifacts do show up randomly and it's annoying as hell (for my OCD image quality self) but not like it's totally hindering my ability to play.

Massa

So I replaced the thermal paste on my PS3 and it seems to be working, except for the controllers.

I'm pretty sure it's the WiFi board as I'm having trouble getting this cable back together:

dsc01870j.jpg

I can't seem to connect it to the motherboard (right on the pic above)! Any tips on how to do this? The plastic connector is loose, I insert the cable and I can't seem to get it to lock in place.

Schrade

Clean your system first. Tons of dust showing in that pic.

Anyhow, is it possible the little levers flip down to lock in place? Look at this pic - the lever is flipped down.

6pvpfm.jpg

Massa

That's not my pic, I found it on the internet to show the cable.

I'm going to reopen the system and redo everything, it seems now not even Ethernet is working (it would not work sometimes before but I thought it was just the cable).

shagg_187 said:
Question: My 60GB PS3 YLODed on me again (3rd time). This time, however, I can't eject the disc from the PS3. I know when blu-ray drive is dead, it's red light instead of yellow (or is it?). Any suggestions?

So I did everything I normally used to do i.e. Heat gun, thermal grease, removed disc from bluray drive, etc etc. After putting everything back, I'm still getting YLOD. Help? :/

I need to fix this cause I need to copy all the data to new PS3... :(

Also, I have an outdated backup of my old PS3. Can I upload it onto my new PS3 or can I only use the PS3's transfer utility to transfer data from old HDD/PS3 to new HDD/PS3?

Massa

shagg_187 said:
So I did everything I normally used to do i.e. Heat gun, thermal grease, removed disc from bluray drive, etc etc. After putting everything back, I'm still getting YLOD. Help? :/

I need to fix this cause I need to copy all the data to new PS3... :(

Also, I have an outdated backup of my old PS3. Can I upload it onto my new PS3 or can I only use the PS3's transfer utility to transfer data from old HDD/PS3 to new HDD/PS3?

You can use the backup utility but it won't restore the saves for a few games which are locked to the system (Killzone 2 for example) and none of the downloaded content will be restored.

A.R.K

ok so I traded-in my old PS3 with a new PS3 slim (my first got fried and had to pay 170 to sony to get the replacement and now that one was dying too). Looking at this thread and many others on the internets, there seem to be a lot of qulaity issue with hardware this gen across all platforms. So I am thinking about getting an extended warranty from SquareTrade. They are offering 3yrs for $49 and I think it would be worth it if they really do fix or replace it for free as they claim. Has any one tried them or tried some other warranty? How was your experience?

Kritz

Banned
My Australian 40GB PS3 appears to be on its last legs. I'm fairly sure it's fubar, but I need to do a bit more troubleshooting to find out for sure.

It isn't powering on most of the time, and when it does, the menu icons suddenly change colour from the standard white to pink, and then after a few more seconds, turn blue. Sometimes it will retain the pink colour for the shaded parts of the icon. I can look around the main menu fine, besides a few more icon issues. But when I go to launch a game, DVD, bluray or game demo, the unit freezes up on me. Can only turn off by forcing a shutdown.

I'm going to hunt around at a friend's house for any spare HDDs he might have that I could use to make sure that the HDD in the PS3 isn't stuffed. But I believe it's the unit itself. :\

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sadly, this isn't my only console to break on me today. Talk about bad luck. :(

Paraclete

Banned
A.R.K said:
ok so I traded-in my old PS3 with a new PS3 slim (my first got fried and had to pay 170 to sony to get the replacement and now that one was dying too). Looking at this thread and many others on the internets, there seem to be a lot of qulaity issue with hardware this gen across all platforms. So I am thinking about getting an extended warranty from SquareTrade. They are offering 3yrs for $49 and I think it would be worth it if they really do fix or replace it for free as they claim. Has any one tried them or tried some other warranty? How was your experience?
Dunno about them, but here in the US I got a 3 year from target for $40 I think, and you can just walk into the store with it an walk out with a new one.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fat PS3 is dead, no lights at all, think the PSU is dead. Was off just sitting in standby when i left for work, came home and it was dead :'(

Gonna see how much to get fixed.

Top Bottom