• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 randomly made a beeping noise, how afraid should i be?

So i was playing mgs1 on my ps3 earlier today and out of nowhere, I hear a single beep from my system, no freezes, no red lights or anything on the system, just the beep. At first I thought it was something else but then during a cinematic about 20 mins later it happened again.

Now like i said, the system works just fine, and this is the first time its happened, I was playing HSG earlier with no problems whatsoever.
Did a search and i couldnt find anything except a couple mentions in other threads, but thats about it. I also tried calling sony to see if they had any info but they close at 630pst on sundays.

Does any of you guys have any idea what kind of problem this indicates? It cant be overheating because the system didnt power down automatically. Figured if anyone can get more info about this, it would be gaf.
I sure as hell hope its not dying, mgs4 is just around the corner, ugh.

Kyoufu

I've only gotten the beeping when I turn off my PS3 on the verge of crashing (during internet browsing).

Never had it happen during gaming, but I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I've had a ps3 since launch, and have never heard a single beep outside of the usual times (shutting down, etc.).

Could it signify that the machine is overheating?

Kyoufu

makingmusic476 said:
I've had a ps3 since launch, and have never heard a single beep outside of the usual times (shutting down, etc.).

Could it signify that the machine is overheating?

The PS3 automatically shuts down when it overheats.

Kyoufu said:
I've only gotten the beeping when I turn off my PS3 on the verge of crashing (during internet browsing).

Never had it happen during gaming, but I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Like i said, its only happened during me playing mgs1 today. Right now im running resistance and just leaving the game unpaused to see if it does it again.
This only worries me because it was during gaming, the "HD is running and im still trying to shut down" beeps im fine with, because i know whats causing them.

Oh yeah, its a 60gb that i purchased last july so if it dies im still covered. Not that i would like to be without the system for a couple weeks.

The Faceless Master said:
it used to beep occasionally for me before sony fixed the wake on lan in remote play.
Yeah the only thing different that i can think of is that have happened lately that could be causing that are the HSG characters that i bought last thursday. That and the fact that i was playing a ps1 game on it, because ive played plenty of ps2 games on it without incident. Thats the only things that come to mind.

User2k

Odd, I've never heard a PS3 make a beep noise while it was on. It could be a remote play issue. If you have that feature that allows you to turn on your PS3 with your PSP on turn it off and see if it goes away. That remote play feature has a lot of problems.

User2k said:
Odd, I've never heard a PS3 make a beep noise while it was on. It could be a remote play issue. If you have that feature that allows you to turn on your PS3 with your PSP on turn it off and see if it goes away. That remote play feature has a lot of problems.

It does? It's always worked as advertised for me.

User2k

ScrabbleBanshee said:
It does? It's always worked as advertised for me.

It works as far as the PSP-PS3 connectivity goes. Its the turning on the PS3 with the PSP feature that causes issues. The PS3 will often turn on by itself, which is probably the biggest problem. I'm not sure exactly what causes the issue, but its something to do with wireless routers.

User2k said:
Nah its not that, my psp isnt sync'd with my ps3.
Also, i guess its kinda like this guy but mine was only a couple beeps in game.
Ive been playing HSG for the past hour or so, and no beeps. Oh well.

Same here, rarely happens and my PS3 is still kicking.
But aren't you even remotely curious as to why its happening? I am. Just to know if theres something on my end that i can fix, or if its a HALP! signal from the ps3. :lol

Redd

devilchicken said:
Nah its not that, my psp isnt sync'd with my ps3.
Also, i guess its kinda like this guy but mine was only a couple beeps in game.
Ive been playing HSG for the past hour or so, and no beeps. Oh well.

But aren't you even remotely curious as to why its happening? I am. Just to know if theres something on my end that i can fix, or if its a HALP! signal from the ps3. :lol

I'm curious yeah but it works and I'm covered anyway should it break down. Hmmm the only time I ever get worried is when the fans start spinning real fast, but that rarely happens too.

Kyoufu

DrEvil said:
ever think it could be a battery low warning? Perhaps your controller's bat is low.

But it doesn't beep for that. You get a notification on your screen when your battery is low.

dysonEA

I've had it beep a few times when I played MGS1 as well. I think its nothing more than just a result of the PS1 emulator on the thing. I have an 80gig so ... not sure if thats an issue ... but never had any thing bad happen as a result. Case in point. Dont worry.

Kyoufu said:
The PS3 automatically shuts down when it overheats.

Good to know. ^^

dysonEA said:
I've had it beep a few times when I played MGS1 as well. I think its nothing more than just a result of the PS1 emulator on the thing. I have an 80gig so ... not sure if thats an issue ... but never had any thing bad happen as a result. Case in point. Dont worry.

I played through MGS on my 60gb over the Summer (all models use software emulation for ps1 games), and it never made a peep.

And I'm pretty paranoid about my hardware, so I would've noticed something like that, lol.

dysonEA said:
OH RLY?
Well, you just made me breathe a sigh of relief then, because now since you said its happened with mgs1 to you too, im calling it "scientific evidence" that its the game and not the system.
Okay so i would make for a shitty scientist

I played through MGS on my 60gb over the Summer (all models use software emulation for ps1 games), and it never made a peep.

And I'm pretty paranoid about my hardware, so I would've noticed something like that, lol.
Thanks for throwing a monkey wrench on my shitty theory :(
For whatever its worth, still hasnt made a peep with HSG *shrug*, i wouldnt mind blaming it on the ps1 emulation, lol.

But it doesn't beep for that. You get a notification on your screen when your battery is low.
Not to mention that i play with a 10ft cord a lot of the time so my ds3 rarely hits the 1/3 charged mark.

devilchicken said:
Thanks for throwing a monkey wrench on my shitty theory :(
For whatever its worth, still hasnt made a peep with HSG *shrug*, i wouldnt mind blaming it on the ps1 emulation, lol.
:lol

The best thing I could tell you is to call Sony and see if they've heard of this problem before.

The worst thing that could happen is they'll tell you it has cancer, and that they can cure it for the low low price of $149.99. :lol

makingmusic476 said:
:lol

The best thing I could tell you is to call Sony and see if they've heard of this problem before.

The worst thing that could happen is they'll tell you it has cancer, and that they can cure it for the low low price of $149.99. :lol
Yeah i'll do that tomorrow. It's still under warranty though so at least it would be free to repair, but maybe, just maybe its just some freak error thing that happens to some with ps1 games. Since other than that, its just fine. Now if it starts beeping while playing ps3 games, then ill start shitting bricks.

1097599322_315756236.gif

aasoncott

ANCIENT THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Twice in the last week my PS3 emitted a single beep -- from the system itself, not from the TV. Both times it was while I was watching something on Netflix. Does anyone know why it would do that? Have people found a cause for this, and is it an indicator of anything I should be worried about?

Top Bottom