• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 does crackle and screech sounds

keraj37

Weird, first time experiencing anything like that.
My first thought is this caused by temperature difference since it almost always happens after 1h or so of play time.
But I keep my room at 21-23C (69.8 - 73.4F) so it seems normal.
It lasts just a second or two, and gives the impression of the plastic case being in process of braking.

Does your PS5 do the same?

I will record this after next playtime, I am almost sure I can catch it one more time.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
These guys live in every ps5 sold.

hSCNQSz.gif

EekTheKat

In my case it had to do with HDMI issues. Stripping down my setup to just the bare basics sort of pinpointed the issue., as just a basic HDMI cable from console straight to the display had no audio issues.

I'm using a lot of old HDMI cables and adapter boxes/splitters/switches to get some absurd setup working, some of these cheap boxes/adapters just couldn't handle high bandwidth requirements from my guess.

Three

You got that special failing HDD PS5 that doesn't include an SSD.

On a serious note, the crackling is probably just the plastic plates expanding due to heat but the screeching I have no idea.

skit_data

Do you have the Standard or the Digital edition?
I remember hearing something about the disc drive spinning up to read the disc with regular intervals, but I think they fixed it in an update.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
happen to me quite common, just internal plastic expand or some shit

Drizzlehell

Banned
"Crackling and screeching" might as well be a description of a console that's on fire but I'm guessing that's not what's actually happening, lol.

Does it hapen immediately after you turn on the console, or after you've played it for a bit? How long does it last? Maybe it's just the sound of plastic creaking from the heat generated by the console? It's pretty normal for electronic devices made of plastic.

Last edited:

keraj37

Do you have the Standard or the Digital edition?
I remember hearing something about the disc drive spinning up to read the disc with regular intervals, but I think they fixed it in an update.
Disc, but I am sure it is not that

happen to me quite common, just internal plastic expand or some shit
I see, then it is normal, I wasn't sure since I never had it before - my XSX doesn't do that.
"Crackling and screeching" might as well be a description of a console that's on fire but I'm guessing that's not what's actually happening, lol.

Does it hapen immediately after you turn on the console, or after you've played it for a bit? How long does it last? Maybe it's just the sound of plastic creaking from the heat generated by the console? It's pretty normal for electronic devices made of plastic.
Yeah, immediately after I turn off the console when it is still hot and cooling down - like people said, it must be the temerature.

skit_data

Do you have a launch model or one of the later models?
I could see the first revision (CFI-1100A) possibly having slightly higher temps close to the plastic parts due to the smaller heatsink, but it’s probably nothing to worry about.

keraj37

Do you have a launch model or one of the later models?
I could see the first revision (CFI-1100A) possibly having slightly higher temps close to the plastic parts due to the smaller heatsink, but it’s probably nothing to worry about.
I see, good to know - but I don't know the age of my PS5 since I bought it second hand and without original receipt.

Mephisto40

I've heard mine make a cracking sound a couple of times half hour after I switched it off, I put it down to the plastic cooling down in the case

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Flat or standing up? My first thought is if it’s flat, that it might be the clips of the base sliding or hooked into the console at a skewed angle.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
On a more serious note. My launch ps5 and my present ps5 have both done it. It’s the plastic expanding due to the heat and the type of plastic material they use. No cause for concern, unless it’s accompanied by sparking or fire or something lol

Last edited:

skit_data

I see, good to know - but I don't know the age of my PS5 since I bought it second hand and without original receipt.
You can check the model number on the bottom of the console, but I think you might have to unscrew the stand. It can be useful if you’re like me and tend to disassemble your consoles every now and then for some deep cleaning xD

I haven’t done it with my PS5 yet though, I’ve only removed and cleaned the fan and that’s still within warranty (which is a huge improvement from previous PS consoles, in order to clean the fan of PS3 and PS4 you had to more or less strip it down completely).

DinoD

My first thought is this caused by temperature difference since it almost always happens after 1h or so of play time.
It lasts just a second or two, and gives the impression of the plastic case being in process of braking.

I will record this after next playtime, I am almost sure I can catch it one more time.

It's the sound of PS5 applying break pads to downclock back to 8 TF.

the only noises your console should make is fans spinning, expanding plastic due to temperatures, coil whine, or PSU issues.

my PS4 used to make cracking noses but it was because it was getting so hot that the plastic was expanding. my TV does the same. coil whine is completely normal in any electrical product but it can get loud enough for you to hear and people find it annoying. a PSU might make a loud clicking nose when it turns on or off which is generally completely normal but if it's faulty it might make a crackling/buzzing noise. if you have a faulty PSU you need to get it replaced.

if your PS5 is running too warm the console should give a warning or shut down. if your PSU is faulty then at some point the console was start crashing or your house will go up in flames. if it's coil whine there is nothing you can do except try replace it but like i said it's normal. best just turn your volume up a bit, wear headphones, or move your PS5 further away.

tl;dr as long as you're not getting warnings or crashes/shutdowns then it's likely nothing to worry about.

EDIT: i forgot consoles still have discs :messenger_tears_of_joy: so that's another explaination for noise. could possible be a faulty disc drive but unless you're having issues playing games then it's probably not.

Last edited:

keraj37

EDIT: i forgot consoles still have discs :messenger_tears_of_joy: so that's another explaination for noise. could possible be a faulty disc drive but unless you're having issues playing games then it's probably not.
What do you mean, you "forgot consoles still have discs" - it is the only way cultural people should accept them? Physical rules!

RagnarokIV

Crack sounds have been around since PS3 slim, it's the heating up and cooling down of plastic moving. The screech is probably coil whine, does it change pitch depending on what's on screen? If so, coil whine.

I got lucky, My PS5 is dead silent. I don't even hear that coil whine that used to get posted about early on.

PS4 Pro was a noise machine. Loud cooling fan, and the case would creak and groan and POP while it was heating up and then it would creak and groan and POP while cooling off.

Last edited:

Aenima

Seems just like the plastic expanding and contracting due to temperature changes. I havent noticed my PS5 doing this yet, but my PS4 did this all the time i turned the console off after playing for some time. Even my TV does this.

jaysius

Banned
Do you have proper clearances around it? Or is it stuffed into a murderbox? It's supposed to have 1 inch ALL AROUND, so that it's not rebreathing all the same warm air it's releasing, not just from the fans, but from the APU some of the heat gets released upward and downward.

[Sigma]

Sometimes I think my PS5 has developed coil whine but then I realise I can hear the sound of the fridge from the kitchen and I breathe a sigh of relief.
Mine also started doing this now after I cleaned it out a couple of months ago. I say I "cleaned it out" but it really still clean lol. Only the fan had slight dust on it. I know now not to take it completely apart next time. It only becomes noticeable when a game starts and plays. But the sound from the game mostly drowns it out even if I set the volume low because luckily it my coil whine is not that loud. I play my game like 90% of the time with headphones(all audio in) on so I don't even hear it.

keraj37

Do you have proper clearances around it? Or is it stuffed into a murderbox? It's supposed to have 1 inch ALL AROUND, so that it's not rebreathing all the same warm air it's releasing, not just from the fans, but from the APU some of the heat gets released upward and downward.
It is totally free space around it (maybe only the XSX is blocking it from the right side):
VGsJ7pO.jpg

Malachai

Mine also started doing this now after I cleaned it out a couple of months ago. I say I "cleaned it out" but it really still clean lol. Only the fan had slight dust on it. I know now not to take it completely apart next time. It only becomes noticeable when a game starts and plays. But the sound from the game mostly drowns it out even if I set the volume low because luckily it my coil whine is not that loud. I play my game like 90% of the time with headphones(all audio in) on so I don't even hear it.
It would probably drive me mad if it had a constant whine coming from it 😄

i have a launch one which is Silento, never had any trouble with noises, apart from the initial launch disc noise that happened every 30min or so

Spyxos

Gold Member

Yes lately whenever I turn them off mine also makes similar noises. I think it's because of the weather? It is a little colder here.

Top Bottom