• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 does crackle and screech sounds

Kilau

I got lucky, My PS5 is dead silent. I don't even hear that coil whine that used to get posted about early on.

PS4 Pro was a noise machine. Loud cooling fan, and the case would creak and groan and POP while it was heating up and then it would creak and groan and POP while cooling off.
All of us that had PS4 Pros think our PS5s are silent, it’s just our hearing was severely damaged.

kyliethicc

Weird, first time experiencing anything like that.
My first thought is this caused by temperature difference since it almost always happens after 1h or so of play time.
But I keep my room at 21-23C (69.8 - 73.4F) so it seems normal.
It lasts just a second or two, and gives the impression of the plastic case being in process of braking.

Does your PS5 do the same?

I will record this after next playtime, I am almost sure I can catch it one more time.
run it under some warm soapy water for a few minutes, let it air dry

hope that helps

Not that I think this is completely related, but it is a coincidence. I recently upgraded my PC from an Intel 7700k to an AMD Ryzen 7950x3D, first AMD build in well over 13 years. All of a sudden now I am dealing with crackling and popping audio problems even though I'm using the same sound card and speakers as before. Googling around, I see that this is a common ish problem on AMD platforms, something to do with latencies between the audio component and the CPU. I'd imagine in the case of these Ryzen powered consoles that if it were common as it is on PC, we'd see a lot more posts like yours OP. Still it's an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Oh you're talking about the plastic. Oof. Pointless reply then.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Tony Montana Scarface GIF

Did a Resetera or Icon Era member get in there? They tend to screech a lot.

On a more of a serious note - I don't know how your PS5 is positioned. Mine is vertices and doesn't make any weird sounds. I also try to make sure it's out in the open space.

Mozza

"Crackle & Screech", sounds like an awesome name for a new Sony exclusive franchise, may even be a nemesis for "Ratchet and Clank". ;)

jaysius

Banned
That gif response is not directed at you but himself.
I mean his response to my response, didn't seem to make it that way.

Either way, he didn't tell me if he's blowing the hot air back into the PS5 with that fan. If so, it's adding to the dust in the machine, and also the heat overall.

He should vacuum it out as per the manual says anyway, supposed to do that with a PS5 every year.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Pimpbaa

The plastic (I assume the white plates) makes cracking sounds on mine, but usually after I turn it off. I get coil whine from my system, which could be described as screeching but it‘s impossible to hear during gameplay with the sound volume turned up.

jaysius

Banned
The plastic (I assume the white plates) makes cracking sounds on mine, but usually after I turn it off. I get coil whine from my system, which could be described as screeching but it‘s impossible to hear during gameplay with the sound volume turned up.
Have you considered aftermarket plates? Maybe that will make a difference?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In my case it had to do with HDMI issues. Stripping down my setup to just the bare basics sort of pinpointed the issue., as just a basic HDMI cable from console straight to the display had no audio issues.

I'm using a lot of old HDMI cables and adapter boxes/splitters/switches to get some absurd setup working, some of these cheap boxes/adapters just couldn't handle high bandwidth requirements from my guess.
Kind of related I guess but for anyone having issues with gear, check you hdmi cables.

I thought they are all the same shit but not true. In an old thread years ago I was getting weird green artifacting watching tv. But never in gaming. I assumed it was my 4K cable box. I tried a few 4K cables I had including the one it came with it! And they said 4K quality.

Someone on gaf said it might be shitty cables with bad shielding. In that corner of my media stand I got all kinds of cables intertwining. I bought a new pack of 4K hdmi cables from a Costco double pack and it solved it.

Pimpbaa

Have you considered aftermarket plates? Maybe that will make a difference?

It just makes a couple of cracking sounds (or sometimes not at all) after use. Just the plastic expanding and contracting due to heat. Nothing I need to change the plates for. Although if there are plates out there that have rubber feet allowing you to use the PS5 horizontally without that stupid stand thing, that I might consider.

Top Bottom