• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 has a serious problem with corrupted data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkbest

I have PS5 from launch (19 November on Europe). Yesterday I had to uninstall and downloading again AC Valhalla because the game crashed on a point saying the game is corrupted (no numbered error). After I downloaded again the game worked right using the same save game than before.

Today I was watching some videos from my trophies and from 50 videos, 8 are corrupted, those videos were working 1 week ago, so its not a problem with the recording.

Besides I have experimented 2 save game corrupted from PS4 games (Cyberpunk and Trails cold Steel IV).

So I only can suppose the OS have a problem and any data from SSD can be corrupted on anytime

EDIT: 3 months after I reinstalled the SO from USB I haven't experimented this anymore. So if someone have problem with corrupted data (saved clips, games, etc) try to reinstall the SO from 0 previously to send the console to Sony. Probably a software bug with original release system.

Last edited:

Arun1910

"Serious" seems a bit over the top.

Nothing happened to your save file, right?

So the only thing that happened were video recordings of trophies were corrupted and re-downloading the game fixed the game corruption issue.

Edit: as for your other games - you don't even know what happened to those save files, was it the PS5, or was it the game not being able to save properly?

Too many assumptions and not enough evidence.

Last edited:

Miles708

I don't think it's totally normal for recordings to get corrupted. Maybe something OS related, I think SSDs typically don't give you warning signs before catastrophically faulting.

In any case, it could be sensible to research and eventually ask for a replacement while you still can. Could be a faulty ssd?

Arun1910

data being corrupted (doesn't matter what kind of data) sounds like a serious issue to me.
Depends on the cause, frequency.

I've not seen any widespread issue of others say their videos got corrupt, so it isn't serious in that sense.

Save files being corrupt is serious, but saying it was the PS5's fault without any basis for that conclusion does not mean the PS5 has a serious problem. We don't know if it was the games fault or user error.

Corrupted games is annoying but I wouldn't class it as serious as you can fix it. You can't recover corrupted saves or videos, but again, you can't draw a conclusion from the OP.

One thing I've read to fix corrupted games is to rebuild the PS5 database.

Chukhopops

One of my colleagues was going crazy with this problem, it happened 2-3 times per week and each time it would also mess up his display settings (probably the console switching back to some kind of safe mode).

It stopped once he disabled rest mode, but if you're not using rest mode I don't know what to tell you other than it seems to happen to others (no idea if it's frequent or not).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think it's totally normal for recordings to get corrupted. Maybe something OS related, I think SSDs typically don't give you warning signs before catastrophically faulting.

In any case, it could be sensible to research and eventually ask for a replacement while you still can. Could be a faulty ssd?
More like faulty controller, which writes data in a way which is then non-retrivable. If it would be SSD problem, you would most likely would not be able to redownload it and then successfully launch it.

Also anyway, this is why I am glad that MS opted for not soldering SSD on board.

cormack12

Gold Member
This sounds specific to you. I know there have been issues with external storage as I've experienced them. My valhalla save has also had warnings about conflicts but that's to do with auto-upload and sync. I think you're making leaps here - are there any other megathreads on these exact issues like on reddit etc? Edit: Looks like title was updated which makes my post look stupid now.

It's not inconceivable that it's your SSD in the PS5 - also I wouldn't use cyberpunk saves corrupting as indication of anything as that has a specific corruption issue

Last edited:

Miles708

Is your internet connection spotty?

I remember my connection giving all sorts of problems on ps4 (when in the Memory page, you could see the available space decrease every second :messenger_fearful: Until it reached zero and restored itself).

It eventually got patched and I think it never made troubles, but yeah it's better to stay totally offline than having an unstable connection.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
More like faulty controller, which writes data in a way which is then non-retrivable. If it would be SSD problem, you would most likely would not be able to redownload it and then successfully launch it.

Also anyway, this is why I am glad that MS opted for not soldering SSD on board.

Why, can you replace the SSD in the XSX? I mean, technically you can of course, but can you then install the OS to the new one etc?

Miles708

Yeah, ssd soldered on the mother board is a ticking bomb.

M1chl

Why, can you replace the SSD in the XSX? I mean, technically you can of course, but can you then install the OS to the new one etc?
I mean, I guess for repairs even if you send it to MS, I think it's easier for them (faster for me) to just switch the SSD then changing whole motherboard. And after warranty I think there are going to be available spare parts so changing faulty SSD would be easy work and relatively cheap. And yes SSD can shit the bed any time basically. I hope Sony choosed quality modules, but still. There is a reason why for backups there are used normal HDDs.

Yeah, ssd soldered on the mother board is a ticking bomb.
Yeah I was surprised that they opted for that. Even though... I have a MacBook where this is same, but I expect it to swap it every 2 years or so.

Miles708

Yeah I was surprised that they opted for that. Even though... I have a MacBook where this is same, but I expect it to swap it every 2 years or so.

To be honest, Apple is not the best in class when it comes to repair and maintenance of their devices. If anything, it makes this even more worrying.

M1chl

To be honest, Apple is not the best in class when it comes to repair and maintenance of their devices. If anything, it makes this even more worrying.
That's why I swap their laptops for new one when EU mandated warrantly lapses. (2 years)

They also retain their value a lot, so it's not like you are loosing that much money

Last edited:

vkbest

1 Month after, I hadn't problems with this, until yesterday, several videos from trophies were corrupted again. I haven't installed any new game for days, and I have tested every day the videos I had, only to detect when the data is corrupted, was yesterday, around 10 videos were corrupted, the before day every videos worked.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I would get it replaced - there is only one physical storage pool in the machine, so if you are getting corrupted videos and corrupted games then you will at some point get corrupted save data too. It's just that since the save data is relatively smaller you will see the other forms of data corruption more frequently.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have had my PS5 since December 12th, it was in heavy use since then, especially between X-Mas and January 10th. I sometimes turn it off but mostly put it into rest mode.
No issues so far.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
From what I have read there seems to be some type of NVME issue. One of the podcast I listen to talked about some of the ps5s having constantly corrupted HDD.

Miles708

Are all corrupted videos from the sane game? Can you spot a pattern?

It's safe to assume it'll only get worse in time. I'd honestly return that.

th4tguy

I have PS5 from launch (19 November on Europe). Yesterday I had to uninstall and downloading again AC Valhalla because the game crashed on a point saying the game is corrupted (no numbered error). After I downloaded again the game worked right using the same save game than before.

Today I was watching some videos from my trophies and from 50 videos, 8 are corrupted, those videos were working 1 week ago, so its not a problem with the recording.

Besides I have experimented 2 save game corrupted from PS4 games (Cyberpunk and Trails cold Steel IV).

So I only can suppose the OS have a problem and any data from SSD can be corrupted on anytime
Sounds like your hard drive is bad. Not bad enough for total failure, but bad enough to cause problems like this. I would return it and start looking out for a replacement. Or contact Sony for a repair.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
1 Month after, I hadn't problems with this, until yesterday, several videos from trophies were corrupted again. I haven't installed any new game for days, and I have tested every day the videos I had, only to detect when the data is corrupted, was yesterday, around 10 videos were corrupted, the before day every videos worked.

Few things you can do (and it fixed my auto save upload error for Days Gone).

- Restore licenses
- Rebuild database
- Sign out of your PSN account, then turn off your PS5, rebuild database, Sign in again.

sircaw

Banned
For a second i thought it was a another Dark mage post, "lollipop_disappointed:

sorry to hear your having problems.

Last edited:

skit_data

Any power outtages or something similar? Some electronics might be screwed in mysterious ways after just a single power outtage if one is really unlucky, at least thats my experience.

vkbest

Are all corrupted videos from the sane game? Can you spot a pattern?

It's safe to assume it'll only get worse in time. I'd honestly return that.

Nope, videos from games affected, Demons Souls, Valhalla, Genshin Impact, and Trails Cold Steel 4. They corrupted at same time.

PS4 games are not affected yet, and I had corrupted Valhalla month ago after a update when the game trying to load a help tutorial on one specific area where my character was watched by enemies.

In the original post I said I had saves corrupted, but those was Cyberpunk, and days after I read more people have corrupted their saves on this game on PS4 and PS5

I have using USB, not for playing but to watch videos, so maybe this is the problem and this is where videos are corrupting, PS5 media player (if you can call so) it’s the same app where you can watch your screenshots and videos

Last edited:

Miles708

Sorry if I don't follow you completely.
You are watching videos from usb, including videos from trophies unlocks?
And videos are corrupting on the usb device?

x@3f*oo_e!

It's defective (I don't think this is a universal software issue)

Just take it back and get them to give you a new one. Duff machines happen

It won't get better.

[edit - just videos ? i dunno then= personally I wouldn't risk it. Just take it back]

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

I have using USB, not for playing but to watch videos, so maybe this is the problem and this is where videos are corrupting, PS5 media player (if you can call so) it’s the same app where you can watch your screenshots and videos

Playback shouldn't be corrupting anything, like, at all.. Doubling down on the post above.

(If it was a one off event, then maybe it was just bad luck. If it happens/happened twice that's toooo many)

Last edited:

vkbest

Playback shouldn't be corrupting anything, like, at all.. Doubling down on the post above.

(If it was a one off event, then maybe it was just bad luck. If it happens/happened twice that's toooo many)

That could be true, but PS5 OS is more a beta or even alpha, than a final product release, so could be a hardware problem but also a software problem.

Games are not affected, only Valhalla but I’m sure was because the update the same day.

On my country we have 2 warranty years. So when PS5 will have better stock, probably I will contact with Sony if this continues. Anyway, I’m sure this is a software problem.

vkbest

Sorry if I don't follow you completely.
You are watching videos from usb, including videos from trophies unlocks?
And videos are corrupting on the usb device?

Nope. I’m watching videos from USB. The corrupted videos are on internal SSD. But I have getting several crashes when playing videos on USB. So maybe my PS5 ssd is defective or I getting a software bug

Miles708

Nope. I’m watching videos from USB. The corrupted videos are on internal SSD. But I have getting several crashes when playing videos on USB. So maybe my PS5 ssd is defective or I getting a software bug
So there are at least 2 weird problems with your console:
  1. Crashes when playing from USB
  2. Corruption of media on SSD
Does the corruption happen after the crashes? If so, could it be because of a fault in your USB device, or even a fault of the USB port on the console?

Either way, I'd still seriously think about returning it.

vkbest

So there are at least 2 weird problems with your console:
  1. Crashes when playing from USB
  2. Corruption of media on SSD
Does the corruption happen after the crashes? If so, could it be because of a fault in your USB device, or even a fault of the USB port on the console?

Either way, I'd still seriously think about returning it.

The corruption happened 2 times, first one month ago, and other probably between Sunday and yesterday. Because this happened 1 month ago, every day, I open every videos (around 60) and play 2 or 3 seconds. On the morning of last Sunday, every videos I played worked. But this morning I tried again and had 10 videos corrupted. The videos are exclusively from trophies. Some recent videos were corrupted but some from November too.

I uploaded to YouTube from the console, and the first seconds ( on some videos 3 seconds, on others 20) the sound and image is static. PS5 don’t let even to play those videos.

You can see on those links. On demons souls the first seconds couldn’t be played. On Genshin practically the full clip is unplayable

Last edited:

Miles708

The corruption happened 2 times, first one month ago, and other probably between Sunday and yesterday. Because this happened 1 month ago, every day, I open every videos (around 60) and play 2 or 3 seconds. On the morning of last Sunday, every videos I played worked. But this morning I tried again and had 10 videos corrupted. The videos are exclusively from trophies. Some recent videos were corrupted but some from November too.

I uploaded to YouTube from the console, and the first seconds ( on some videos 3 seconds, on others 20) the sound and image is static. PS5 don’t let even to play those videos.
As others have said, did you try to rebuild the database? Just to see if something changes.

The fact that only trophy videos are affected is peculiar, makes me think of a software problem rather than an hardware one. Then again, if it was indeed software, it would be much more widespread between users.

Something is wrong with your console, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom