• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 has a serious problem with corrupted data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkbest

As others have said, did you try to rebuild the database? Just to see if something changes.

The fact that only trophy videos are affected is peculiar, makes me think of a software problem rather than an hardware one. Then again, if it was indeed software, it would be much more widespread between users.

Something is wrong with your console, that's for sure.

Yes, I tried, but the videos are corrupted yet, the one different thing, is when I rebuilt I lose the thumbnail, because rebuilding is removing old thumbnails and PS5 can’t extract a new thumbnail from the video.

Maybe I will test a factory reset soon.

Edit: I just remember I installed wasteland 3 the last Sunday. I will test again, because i bought the game around the first time I got corrupted on December, but don’t remember when I installed for first time.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

No issues with corrupted games for me at the moment but I’m finding the same issue with corrupted saved clips. At first it was just 1 that wasn’t working but now that number has grown to about 7/8 and these were videos I had saved for weeks which have always worked before. It’s hard to understand why but one pattern I have noticed is that this corruption seems to start from the oldest clips and make its way towards the newest ones. Can’t really test what triggers it though.

Last edited:

vkbest

No issues with corrupted games for me at the moment but I’m finding the same issue with corrupted saved clips. At first it was just 1 that wasn’t working but now that number has grown to about 7/8 and these were videos I had saved for weeks which have always worked before. It’s hard to understand why but one pattern I have noticed is that this corruption seems to start from the oldest clips and make its way towards the newest ones. Can’t really test what triggers it though.

Im sure this is happening to much more people, so people is not opening their old clips.

vkbest

reinstall OS via USB. If re-imaging doesn't fix it, it's toast.

I did the same day you posted this. Didn't happen again.

Im going only to install games Im playing for 2 or 3 weeks, if the thing don't happen again, I will try to install games until the SSD is almost full, and test for other 2-3 weeks,.

I´m not going to use USB or rest mode for a time.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would absolutely RMA this sort of issue, while console is still in warranty period. Does not sounds like a minor issue...

vkbest

Looks like was fixed when I reinstalled the system from USB. I haven’t get more corrupted clips, games or saves on 3 weeks

Last edited:

waquzy

Isn’t that worse for the system? To be turned off and turned on over and over again? Especially after long periods?
That's how I have always used all of my consoles over the years, never had a single problem whatsoever. I don't think it makes a difference at all. I hate the term "rest mode" it's like it is still idling in the background, I guess I'm just a bit OCD with things like that. I always have to turn it off full stop.

mxbison

My PS4 Pro has often rebuilt the database to fix corrupted data on startup. Only takes like 3-4 seconds and I never had crashes or issues with anything so I didn't bother looking into it.

Kagey K

Banned
it can corrupt game saves. waste of electricity... new hardware cold boots in 8 seconds, tv barely has time to switch hdmi inputs. just no benefit IMO now that consoles boot so fast with ssd.
Benefit is it keeps all the games up to date. When you have 420 games installed and don’t know what you might want to play you don’t want to be sitting around waiting for an update.

The electricity it wastes is negligible, and corrupted game saves aren’t really a thing in 2021.

Kagey K

Banned
That's how I have always used all of my consoles over the years, never had a single problem whatsoever. I don't think it makes a difference at all. I hate the term "rest mode" it's like it is still idling in the background, I guess I'm just a bit OCD with things like that. I always have to turn it off full stop.
If you stop using your console like a maggot, it might respect you back maggot.

Don’t be a baby maggot and try to turn into a fly.

vkbest

3 months after I reinstalled the SO from USB I haven't experimented this anymore. So if someone have problem with corrupted data (saved clips, games, etc) try to reinstalling the SO from 0 previously to send the console to Sony. Probably a software bug with original release system.

Can I lock this thread? or I need to contact to a moderator?

cormack12

Gold Member
3 months after I reinstalled the SO from USB I haven't experimented this anymore. So if someone have problem with corrupted data (saved clips, games, etc) try to reinstalling the SO from 0 previously to send the console to Sony. Probably a software bug with original release system.

Just update the OP with that post then report it for closing.

You could have just ignored it and it would have gone away by itself, lost in the deluge of threads that fall from the bottom of the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom