• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN recently got permabanned. Anything I can do or should I just give up?

Bullet Club

Posted for U UntoldTruth

I have read mixed reviews from people managing to get unbanned and some saying it is impossible. Sometime after me and my ex split up my password and email got changed. After we split up I didn't get on my PS4 for nearly 3 months and a friend of mine lent me a copy of Spiderman so I hopped on to play. I had not attempted to log into my account since right after me and my ex split up and I logged onto the Sony website to deactivate her PS4 from my account. I let my niece and nephews use my surface pro 4 when they visit as I do not use it much and it started acting funny and after running some scans I noticed that there was a keylogger on it which is how I assume my account became compromised. When I contacted Sony to recover my account they informed me that the account had been permabanned. They even acknowledged that there was suspicious activity and log ins but chalked it up to gamesharing and blamed me for it as apparently having my account taken due to a virus is impossible as they constantly stated that it is impossible for anyone other than the owner to gain access to the account since the password/email are required even though I have discussed the keylogger that I found on my surface with them. I had 211 digital games, 2 years of Playstation plus and an additional 70 or so disc games plus a majority of the dlc for most of the games. I had absolutely no reason to game share and explained that to them and that the only other PS4 that had access to my account was my Exs PS4 and that she assured me she had nothing to do with this. I admit I did not have two step on mainly because it did not work properly for me due to the fact that it would never remember my PS4 and I would have to enter the code every time I turned my ps4 back on which was annoying. I admit it was stupid to turn it off but I have had that account since like 2016 and has never had any issues with it. I had never had so much as an SIE Moderation action placed against my account. But they state that these decisions are final and even with extenuating circumstances there is no way to reverse it; of which, I call bs on. I believe that phone support has no bearing on bans but I know there has to be someone I can contact to talk to. It has been quite awhile and I am about to just give up and be done with Sony and was hoping someone here may have an idea of some other way I can move forward with this. I have tried writing their legal department but didn't even get a reply.

Hopefully someone here has a suggestion and I look forward to hearing from y'all.

Best Regards,

UntoldTruth.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Omg 211 games and it's permabanned for something you didn't do. Man that sucks. I honestly don't know what you can do. I feel like I'm witnessing the death of a fellow gamer here. Feels bad man.

I know this isn't making things better bro. Is there a way you can get some documentation together and appeal the decision?

If you make another account on the same box do you get to keep all your games? I mean it would suck to lose your trophies but at least you can play the games still.

Other then that, I got nothing. Sorry man.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I would keep pushing too, that's pretty crazy. Can they actually ban, and not refund your ps+ as well? That doesn't seem legal.

ILLtown

Someone needs to take either Sony or MS to court over account perma-bans where hundreds or even thousands of pounds of games and content are forfeit. It's fucking bullshit.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Someone needs to take either Sony or MS to court over account perma-bans where hundreds or even thousands of pounds of games and content are forfeit. It's fucking bullshit.

Definitely needs to happen. If they're going to perma-ban an account, they should be required to let you access your digital content just like every other user. (I'm thinking only single player digital content; have no idea how they would handle online heavy stuff)

drotahorror

I wish I hadn't gone digital for PS4, I recently started going back to physical but it's too late now. Although rare (I hope), it still seems way too easy to banned or locked out of your account and you have nothing to do about it.

BibiMaghoo

Did they attempt to notify you of this suspicious activity? What action caused the ban, and what is the actual ban reason? I have never heard of a ban for 'gamesharing', something their system actively allows, and has done since the PS3. To argue the ban, it needs to be clear what the ban is for.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You can try to
Keep escalating the issue. Reach out to Sony on Twitter and make it visible.

Sony has shown before that they really don’t care about customer support. Look at how they didn’t give a fuck about the cross-play shitstorm.

Sony was taken to court several times and they always lost. Probably a good chance to win again.
MS would not ban your account for this. It would be locked or prevented form further buying stuff. To lose access to all your purchases you need to make a hefty violation of their EULA.

Like fraud or pirating and stuff like that.

TacosNSalsa

If this happened it would probably have to happen at the class action level . I can't see any one person going to court and sacrificing god knows how much money and how much time it would take to get through this. Sony could drag this on for quite some time ...

Edit: They were?? do you have anything on this ? Where to look? I would love to read it !

Sony was taken to court several times and they always lost. Probably a good chance to win again.
MS would not ban your account for this. It would be locked or prevented form further buying stuff. To lose access to all your purchases you need to make a hefty violation of their EULA.

Last edited:

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
make other account, I'm sure they didn't IP ban you.

If I do not get unbanned I will never use Sony products again. I had thousands of dollars in digital content.

Did they attempt to notify you of this suspicious activity? What action caused the ban, and what is the actual ban reason? I have never heard of a ban for 'gamesharing', something their system actively allows, and has done since the PS3. To argue the ban, it needs to be clear what the ban is for.

They claim they did. But I didn't receive any emails which makes me think my email was changed to. They wouldn't tell me why it was banned. Just that it fell under financial fraud/scamming.

They claim it was due to financial fraud/scamming but refuse to tell me what caused my account to be flagged for this but they do admit that there were log ins on my account in the Dominican Republic.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
If this happened it would probably have to happen at the class action level . I can't see any one person going to court and sacrificing god knows how much money and how much time it would take to get through this. Sony could drag this on for quite some time ...

It is also against their TOS to file a class action law suit against them.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Hate to be this person BUT am I understanding this right...

Your niece and nephew installed a key logger on your pc and not only got your password but got you perma-banned, coincidently at a time you hadn't been on the ps4 over 3 months despite owning 200+ games. They must really hate you if that's what happened. It's quite elaborate.

If there isn't an UntoldTruth here, Untoldtruth then I do wish you the best in getting it sorted no one should lose that kind of content unfairly.

Last edited:

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
Omg 211 games and it's permabanned for something you didn't do. Man that sucks. I honestly don't know what you can do. I feel like I'm witnessing the death of a fellow gamer here. Feels bad man.

I know this isn't making things better bro. Is there a way you can get some documentation together and appeal the decision?

If you make another account on the same box do you get to keep all your games? I mean it would suck to lose your trophies but at least you can play the games still.

Other then that, I got nothing. Sorry man.

That's the thing there is no where to appeal it. I have asked to speak with the moderation team that handles account punishments. I have asked for their email, their mailing address whatever there is for me to contact and they pretty much tell me just to eff off. I am a PC gamer too and I have 404 games on steam but every major release since me and my ex started dating back at the beginning of 2015 have been bought on ps4. Far cry 5, gow, destiny 2, the yakuza 6, etc etc. I miss my PS4 but I refuse to create a new account. If it doesn't get unbanned I will just trade in my PS4 and all of my games and just forget Sony even exists which saddens me becuase I love naughty dog and was looking forward to most of the ps4 exclusives getting ready to release.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member

Your niece and nephew installed a key logger on your pc and not only got your password but got you perma-banned, coincidently at a time you hadn't been on the ps4 over 3 months despite owning 200+ games. They must really hate you if that's what happened. It's quite elaborate.

If there isn't an UntoldTruth here, Untoldtruth then I do wish you the best in getting it sorted no one should lose that kind of content unfairly.

They didn't install a keylogger intentionally if it was them. But kids and their lack of understanding on safe internet browsing/downloading doesnt make it very hard for them to accidentally install a virus. They didn't steal my log in info but whoever created the keylogger they downloaded did.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So you THINK a keylogger was on a Surface and that compromised your PS4 account?

You did not have 2 step enabled?

Yet you are mad at Sony because they wont help you because you did not take every step possible to protect your account?

I mean almost always when someone comes to forums yelling about being banned they manage to leave something else out and if all of this is true it really sucks.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
I would contact them on Twitter and maybe post about it on Reddit.

I would appreciate it because I tweeted at them and got ignored and my reddit post just got hate from fanboys. Its like sony is just trying to sweep me under the rug. It just reminds me of the time that the guy got permanbanned on PSN because his name was iJihad and his legal first name was Jihad.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
So you THINK a keylogger was on a Surface and that compromised your PS4 account?

Yet you are mad at Sony because they wont help you because you did not take every step possible to protect your account?

I mean almost always when someone comes to forums yelling about being banned they manage to leave something else out and if all of this is true it really sucks.

I mentioned in my main post that I turned it off because I had never had any issues and my PSN refused to save my PS4 so I had to use the code every single time I got on to play and it got annoying. In the end Sony telling me to go eff myself and all of the money I spent on digital games/content because I didn't have two step on is pretty much victim blaming. Like what if I didn't have a cell phone? I am also really bad with spending money as you can tell with all of the games I bought and every once in awhile I have to suspend my service with my cell phone company for a month or two which makes me unable to use 2-step during those periods.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Game sharing is only allowed within the same household. Beyond that it's technically illegally accessing content that you haven't purchased which is essential theft.

BadHand

I own hundreds of digital games on PS3/PS4 (mostly flash sales) and up until Spiderman and Assassin's Creed (and now RDR2) released I hadn't touched the thing for months. Not saying the bit about the keylogger isn't a bit strange, I don't understand why 2FA isn't more of a priority for some people.

They've probably assumed he deactivited 2FA to allow gamesharing with his friends. The easily withdrawal of digital game licenses is why i'm still very cautious in spending big money on new released digitally.

Last edited:

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
Game sharing is only allowed within the same household. Beyond that it's technically illegally accessing content that you haven't purchased which is essential theft.

The only person I have ever gameshared with was my ex and we lived together so that is not the issue.
I own hundreds of digital games on PS3/PS4 (mostly flash sales) and up until Spiderman and Assassin's Creed (and now RDR2) released I hadn't touched the thing for months. Not saying the bit about the keylogger isn't a bit strange, I don't understand why 2FA isn't more of a priority for some people.

They've probably assumed he deactivited 2FA to allow gamesharing with his friends. The easily withdrawal of digital game licenses is why i'm still very cautious in spending big money on new released digitally.

I am not saying whoever created the keylogger stole my account. But whoever created the keylogger could have put it in a list and released it on a website for cracked accounts. I am not even 100% sure that is what happened but it is the only thing that makes sense. I also had two-step on. I had to turn it off a few times because I suspended my cell service. I turned it off again about 9 months ago because it refuse to save my PS4 and I had to enter the code every single time I logged in which got annoying. Maybe that was because it was activated as primary on my exs PS4 I am not sure.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned

Well to be fair to him how many of us go the extra lengths to keep our bank card secure. Say never use a cash machine they haven't used before, or ALWAYS cover their hands when typing in pin, never leaving wallet around etc still the banks would side with the customer.

It's only reasonable steps that are required. If Sony thought two step certification was required/essential they would mandate it. It can't be that hard to see what IP addresses/locations of where the PS4 was accessed can it. If the OP is 100% truthful Sony is in the wrong here and given how backwards they are in some aspects I.e refunds I don't find it hard to believe.

BibiMaghoo

If I do not get unbanned I will never use Sony products again. I had thousands of dollars in digital content.

They claim they did. But I didn't receive any emails which makes me think my email was changed to. They wouldn't tell me why it was banned. Just that it fell under financial fraud/scamming.

They claim it was due to financial fraud/scamming but refuse to tell me what caused my account to be flagged for this but they do admit that there were log ins on my account in the Dominican Republic.

Keep calling them. If they acknowledge the account was accessed somewhere else and that there was suspicious activity, a change in email address etc, then it should be easy to fix for them. I'm pretty sure I have seen a case like this resolved well after a bit of noise was made about it.

Any receipts for the underlined?

Last edited:

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
Well to be fair to him how many of us go the extra lengths to keep our bank card secure. Say never use a cash machine they haven't used before, or ALWAYS cover their hands when typing in pin, never leaving wallet around etc still the banks would side with the customer.

It's only reasonable steps that are required. If Sony thought two step certification was required/essential they would mandate it. It can't be that hard to see what IP addresses/locations of where the PS4 was accessed can it. If the OP is 100% truthful Sony is in the wrong here and given how backwards they are in some aspects I.e refunds I don't find it hard to believe.

They said they see that my account was logged into in the Dominican Republic. But they said they expect game sharing. I told them that I only ever shared my account with my ex and that I logged in and never gave her my password but we were together long enough that she knew my emails/passwords just like I know hers. But I know she didn't do this as she is not vindictive and I was the one that took the break up hard and not her. Their standpoint is that regardless if I am in the wrong or not that all permanent bans are irreversible no matter what.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
Keep calling them. If they acknowledge the account was accessed somewhere else and that there was suspicious activity, a change in email address etc, then it should be easy to fix for them. I'm pretty sure I have seen a case like this resolved well after a bit of noise was made about it.

That's the thing. I have been pestering them for a month an a half almost daily. They will not budge. Their standpoint is that regardless if I am in the wrong or not that all permanent bans are irreversible no matter what. They said that even though there was suspicious activity that all they did was verify that whatever caused my account to get flagged did in fact originate from my account and then boom banhammer was pressed and now nothing can be done.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
That's the thing. I have been pestering them for a month an a half almost daily. They will not budge. Their standpoint is that regardless if I am in the wrong or not that all permanent bans are irreversible no matter what. They said that even though there was suspicious activity that all they did was verify that whatever caused my account to get flagged did in fact originate from my account and then boom banhammer was pressed and now nothing can be done.

Has more than one CS said this? Surely that can't be true on their end? Although could they recreate an account and "gift" you purchased content you already owned given the circumstances. I'm sure I heard about something similar once.

Toe-Knee

The only person I have ever gameshared with was my ex and we lived together so that is not the issue.

I am not saying whoever created the keylogger stole my account. But whoever created the keylogger could have put it in a list and released it on a website for cracked accounts. I am not even 100% sure that is what happened but it is the only thing that makes sense. I also had two-step on. I had to turn it off a few times because I suspended my cell service. I turned it off again about 9 months ago because it refuse to save my PS4 and I had to enter the code every single time I logged in which got annoying. Maybe that was because it was activated as primary on my exs PS4 I am not sure.
But did she let anyone else access the account?

Maybe ask support for access logs during the period the ban occurred

Edit ; just read above. Ignore the gf bit

Last edited:

MC Safety

If you're in the United States, file a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau. You can file online, and the bureau will contact Sony to (hopefully) mediate the dispute.

It might help. Good luck.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
Has more than one CS said this? Surely that can't be true on their end? Although could they recreate an account and "gift" you purchased content you already owned given the circumstances. I'm sure I heard about something similar once.

I have asked. I assume that over my about 2-2.5 dozen phone calls of which I escalated twice each time that I spoke to many different CSRs and they all state the same thing. Even though it would hurt to lose my account with 17 plats and thousands of other trophies and having to track down all of my friends again I would be fine with getting a new account with all of my digital content back but they refuse.

Caayn

I wonder. Can you still re-download and access previous purchases and cloud saves?
It is also against their TOS to file a class action law suit against them.
Would that hold up in court though? It'd be the first thing that got declared invalid over here.

Last edited:

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
But did she let anyone else access the account?

Maybe ask support for access logs during the period the ban occurred

They said they cannot give me logs. She is anti social. Most of her friends are 6+ hours away. She was a very kind person and in the time we dated I got to know her fairly well and I know she would never give someone else access to my stuff even if she had someone to give it to. I still trust her 100% and I called her and asked her if she sold her PS4 just in case she forgot to wipe it even though that wouldn't explain my info being changed and told her what happened and she told me that she still had it and no one but her had access to it.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
I wonder. Can you still re-download and access previous purchases and cloud saves?
Would that hold up in court though? It'd be the first thing that got declared invalid over here.
Even if that wasn't in the TOS they state the account clearly violated the TOS which would. I wouldn't trust any judge to see things my way enough to hire a lawyer and fight it with the risk of losing and being even worse off. And no. They all have locks on them as if the account is not on my ps4.

Last edited:

BibiMaghoo

That must be pretty frustrating, but I have no doubt that someone can reverse it even if the reps you spoke with cannot. In which case I would suggest reaching out to Sony people on social media or gaming media outlets. Be polite and clear about what has happened. Ultimately I think you just need to get past the CS phone people who are told to auto reject that stuff and likely do not have the authority to do otherwise. How far have you escalated in the same call? Supervisor, manager etc? Get a name and position of the people you speak with.

UntoldTruth

Neo Member
That must be pretty frustrating, but I have no doubt that someone can reverse it even if the reps you spoke with cannot. In which case I would suggest reaching out to Sony people on social media or gaming media outlets. Be polite and clear about what has happened. Ultimately I think you just need to get past the CS phone people who are told to auto reject that stuff and likely do not have the authority to do otherwise. How far have you escalated in the same call? Supervisor, manager etc? Get a name and position of the people you speak with.

Yeah I didn't writes names/badge numbers down but generally after I got to the floor manager they told me there was no one else to escalate to. No one officially manages/moderates their facebook and I got ignored when I tweeted and pmd their twitter.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

It depends entirely on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Some will see it as you agreeing to losing everything if your account is compromised or abused others wouldn't.

The most important thing though is that most people aren't willing or able to pay the court costs if it doesn't turn out in their favour.

Top Bottom