• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My rant on overweight justification in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

markatisu said:
I am fat because I eat the wrong things and don't exercise and fuck all you self righteous people who think we need excuses or don't realize what's going on

I know exactly why, I know what I can do to fix it, I just don't and if that makes you unhappy then too damn bad
Everyone knows why they are fat and what they can do about it. Many choose not to address it. We call those people "lazy fatasses." Glad you're proud to be a card-carrying member.

ScOULaris said:
I found myself getting irritated by the apparent thought process behind this post. It has become all-too-common for "society" to be blamed for women being either significantly overweight or dangerously skinny. There is always talk about how women are under so much pressure to have the perfect body, but supposedly that pressure leads to them going to one extreme or the other? What a crock of shit. Nobody is to blame for your body but yourself. Period.
Shit, neoliberalism is everywhere nowadays.

Enosh

I really don't think the ultra liberal white knight that is magicstop is a good representation of your average Americans attitude towards the issue, although can't really say that he isn't either

and holly shit did Adel really say this?
so fucking stupid

bill0527

Ignis Fatuus said:
As far as I'm concerned being fat is a strong indicator of bad character. Only a lack of self control or education or both can account for it.

Wow talk about lack of education...

I know some of the most educated people in the world who are fat. I personally know 4 doctors who are severely overweight. The CEO of the largest bank in my city used to weigh at least 400 pounds until he had gastric bypass surgery.

That leaves lack of self control, which can be brought on by a large number of both internal and external factors. Depression can cause a whole host of health issues, obesity being one of them. Do you feel the same way about people who smoke, drink, and use drugs? What about people who do not have access to eating healthy foods? Or people who can't afford to eat healthy? When's the last time you went grocery shopping for a family and bought nothing but lean meats and fresh produce. It isn't cheap.

daviyoung

Banned
jon bones said:
this is why i dont have fat friends. disgusting people, really. who wants to look like that? its not that tough to head to the gym 3 times a week and not eat like shit jeez.

Tony Robbins has nothing on you man.

jorma

is now taking requests
jon bones said:
this is why i dont have fat friends. disgusting people, really. who wants to look like that? its not that tough to head to the gym 3 times a week and not eat like shit jeez.

I don't think that's why you don't have any friends. It's more likely your shitty attitude.

Josh7289

I disagree with people eating far more food than necessary while others starve to death. That doesn't sit well with me.

But it's not like I actively hold anything against fat people I know personally. It's just a general thing I take issue with.

jon bones said:
It's not like it even takes 3 gym visits a week. I do bodyweight exercises once a week in my house for an hour or two and just avoid processed food. Slower metabolism? Eat less.

bill0527 said:
Wow talk about lack of education...

I know some of the most educated people in the world who are fat. I personally know 4 doctors who are severely overweight. The CEO of the largest bank in my city used to weigh at least 400 pounds until he had gastric bypass surgery.

That leaves lack of self control
The end.

bill0527 said:
When's the last time you went grocery shopping for a family and bought nothing but lean meats and fresh produce. It isn't cheap.
Yes it is.

jon bones said:

Please tell me you are kidding. Did you ever stop to think that not all overweight people are lazy and have horrible diets.

markatisu said:
I am fat because I eat the wrong things and don't exercise and fuck all you self righteous people who think we need excuses or don't realize what's going on

I know exactly why, I know what I can do to fix it, I just don't and if that makes you unhappy then too damn bad
5lJtO.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
jon bones said:
Just because someone is overweight and fat doesn't make them a person worth shunning.

That is, unless you're a vain and shallow prick.

Oh, never mind.

jmdajr

There is this lady at work who brings junk food to share every single day.

As opposed to losing weight, I thinks he just wants to make everyone else fat.

She must think I'm being an asshole for not eating it, but I prefer to not have my body crash from the sugar overload and suffer from the horrible indigestion that comes from fat/grease.

I love my share of snacks here and there but I know my limits. Trust me, I'm not miserable eating healthy 90% of the time.

edit: I also have friends who are fat, and some who are in great fucking shape. (Way better than me and I think I do pretty good.) I definitely don't go around preaching. Best I can do is set an example and give advice when it's asked. Overall it's disappointing they don't take better care of themselves.

ZAK

I guess you could say a lot of fat people are "lazy" or "undisciplined," but not especially so. Who in the world is perfectly disciplined in all ways? I don't see the need to single out fat people, really. As long as they accept that they are unhealthily fat (if that is indeed the case) then I can just see that as a personal failing of the sort that everybody has. If they insist that there's nothing wrong, I can see how that would be annoying.

CrazyDogg77 said:
Please tell me you are kidding. Did you ever stop to think that not all overweight people are lazy and have horrible diets.

Nope, they are lazy because I like to play with social stigmas. Fat people are less likely to be as intelligent and as wealthy as skinny people. Fuck fat people.

bill0527

Ignis Fatuus said:
It's not like it even takes 3 gym visits a week. I do bodyweight exercises once a week in my house for an hour or two and just avoid processed food. Slower metabolism? Eat less.

The end.

I love how you cut off the important part of my post. The part that tries to educate you on factors of obesity.

Calling people fatasses and telling them they have no self control is the best way to avoid fixing the problem.

RevDM

Banned
ssolitare said:
Nope, they are lazy because I like to play with social stigmas. Fat people are less likely to be as intelligent and as wealthy as skinny people. Fuck fat people.

I think cracked just did an articles saying overweight employees make more money

OG Kush

food_inc_logo.jpg

saw this movie yesterday and made me realise how fucked the american food situation is there. At one of the crucial things needed for humans to survive is hugely corrupted in the USA. They're lobbyists and corporations are doing this just for profit, they dont give a fuuuck. If they they've corrupted and fucked up a basic thing like food what else aren't they willing to corrupt? USA needs to do some changes you guys are gettin fucked by your government and people need to stand up.

Couple weeks back I saw:
Super-Size-Me.jpg

People need to educate the corruption thats going on and choose with your dollar. Get school lunches better. do something.

jorma

is now taking requests
CrazyDude said:
He didn't say he didn't have any friends, he said he did not have fat friends.

He's american though. It's practically the same thing, or so i hear.

ssolitare said:

Some of the attitudes in this thread are why overweight people are less wealthy. Employers see them and assume they are lazy and have no self control when really that's just a misguided assumption.

ZAK said:
If they insist that there's nothing wrong, I can see how that would be annoying.
This is precisely the subject under debate. Everyone has their own character flaws, but we're now discussing the trend of obese people trying to pass their flaws off as something normal. In the OP the point was that now people are even attacking anyone who deigns to take these flaws as flaws.

bill0527 said:
I love how you cut off the important part of my post. The part that tries to educate you on factors of obesity.
You mean the part trying to make excuses.

My brother has clinical depression and is in better physical shape than me.

Tideas

Banned
CrazyDogg77 said:
So how does other people being overweight affect you negatively?

increase in gas usage -> increase in oil prices
increase in airfare -> airline can't discriminte just fat ppl, so they just raise up the price for everyone

If we are talking social pressure, work potlucks are the worst. I get so much shit for not eating a huge plate of fried food and heaps of (store bought) cookies and pie. I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs, I don't need to get bigger.

Mael

bill0527 said:

Calling people fatasses and telling them they have no self control is the best way to avoid fixing the problem.

Seriously, for a start fix your goddamn lunch system at school!
Vending machine in the schoolground? Talk about making sure the lardasses grow fatter.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
CrazyDude said:
He didn't say he didn't have any friends, he said he did not have fat friends.
i actually have an old childhood buddy who has always been a little chubby. never FAT though. and i do like messin with some thick girls i mean obese round shaped people with guts and gross shit like that.

This thread has taken the turn I expected it to.

Some of the attitudes in here are even more disgusting than that 500 pound mofo that sits next to you on the bus every morning.

ScOULaris

macuser1of5 said:
If we are talking social pressure, work potlucks are the worst. I get so much shit for not eating a huge plate of fried food and heaps of (store bought) cookies and pie. I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs, I don't need to get bigger.
This is an issue that has been brought up once or twice in this thread: people pressuring others to eat poorly so that they don't feel bad about doing so.

I eat sweets occasionally, but if I would turn down a piece of cake at work there would always be a few people who took offense. What? Like I'm am asshole for not eating cake every damn day? What if I offered you a vegetable medley? I guarantee you'd turn it down.

vaelic

Banned
Chiave said:
You are what you eat. Aesthetics aside, being a fatty means poor health in general. And I'm not going to lie, fat women tend to piss me off.
why does it piss you off? that makes no sense

DarkKyo

ScOULaris said:
Everyone knows why they are fat and what they can do about it. Many choose not to address it. We call those people "lazy fatasses." Glad you're proud to be a card-carrying member.
Wow. He may be fat but at least he isn't a criticizing asshole. How is the weather up there on your throne sir scoularis

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm overweight (6ft 225lbs) and unable to lose weight properly as a result of SSRI use. Unfortunately, attempts to switch medications or stop entirely right now simply aren't possible. I put on over 20 lbs since beginning this medicine back in April. There was a period where I was not eating well, but I've since ceased that behavior. Exercise and watching what I eat isn't helping. At the moment, I've been eating the same portion sizes as my wife and her parents (they are visiting to help with the baby). All of them are actually losing weight on this diet while I continue to gain. Our physical activity levels are all similar.

I'm at a loss. :\ When I switched medicines, I started to lose weight again, but then the tinnitus, depression, anxiety, etc all came back in full force shortly there after.

ScOULaris

Dechaios said:
Wow. He may be fat but at least he isn't a criticizing asshole. How is the weather up there on your throne sir scoularis
My throne's atop a very tall mountain so the air's pretty THIN up here.

Trollface.png

macuser1of5 said:

You are about the exact same height and weight as I am, and yes I agree. I work in a cubicle at an office which certainly doesn't help matters. But yeah, I generally avoid unhealthy food during the workday because I'll just feel like ASS sitting in that chair all day with a burger and fries in my gut. Luckily I don't get shit for not partaking of the buffet during a food day at work, though. Then again, I don't exactly converse with most people at my day job.

What am I even talking about anymore? : /

Dechaios said:
Yeah I have to agree, he didn't deserve that. No one is perfect and as long as you know you have a problem and don't try to adjust other people's norms to suit your flaws I have no problem. You have a right to do whatever you want to your body. I even accept that people have a right to suicide.

Fritz

Mael said:
Seriously, for a start fix your goddamn lunch system at school!
Vending machine in the schoolground? Talk about making sure the lardasses grow fatter.

Yeah this! All we got at school was milk, water and tea and probably some juice. Same with food. We didn't even get white bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom