• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My research into Retro Studios unmade Metroid 2 Remake & Metroid 1.5

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Out of all the games in Nintendo's library, Metroid 2 is the one that I've always wanted a remake of. It has a wonderfully brooding quality, moreso than any other Metroid games, that is constrained by the Gameboy hardware.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My heart skipped a beat then died reading the thread title. Thank you so much for your research into all this. I love reading about lost games and Retro and Metroid is always fascinating. I would love it if they got a go at the series again since they seemed to get it so well and put so much care into their work with it.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Unfortunately, I don't think many of the ones from the Metroid Prime 1/Metroid Prime 1.5 era work there anymore.

retrofinalzpog7.png

I figured as much. Retro is like a revolving door of talent. They never should have let go of anyone who came from Iguana though. Corruption still receives a lot of praise but the art and animation just didn't live up to Prime's level imo.

Eric C

Retro wanted to do a Metroid 2 remake... Why did I have to read that? It's never going to happen is it?

They can still use all those 3D assets from the Prime games on the 3DS. Can't they? C'mon Retro, make your "3D sidescroller" Metroid 2 remake on the 3DS.

I won't give up hope... It's still not going to happen is it? :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GREEAAAAT stuff. Some of the MP1.5 stuff is a bit out there for my taste, but there are quite a few amazing ideas there that deserve further exploration.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mama made a thread that wasnt about Sonic, Star Trek or Kain?

I dont believe it!

Out of all the games in Nintendo's library, Metroid 2 is the one that I've always wanted a remake of. It has a wonderfully brooding quality, moreso than any other Metroid games, that is constrained by the Gameboy hardware.

Yeah I am a huge fan of Metroid II also. Of all the games in the series, it is the most solitary experience, a true Samus vs the World journey into the darkest part of a planet.

Its aged though, and I would love to see it revisited.

Grakl

This is basically just a repost of your previous research on "Metroid 1.5", nothing wrong with that I suppose

Yeah

One of my greatest discoveries during my research is finding the holy grail: the internal Retro Studios Proposal Document for a rejected Metroid Prime game. Regardless of the information concerning Metroid 1.5 being now widespread on the internet, it was Neogaf that was the first to know, as I was the first to find it.

I didn't see this thread before, so it still works out for me, haha. I'm sure this is true for quite a few other people.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
There's a pretty long demo of that Metroid 2 fan remake available right now.

It's ass. Guy took too many creative liberties. In later parts of the game he plans to put in a bunch of other things like the speed booster, etc. I don't have much faith that those things will be implemented well either.

Someone just needs to take Super Metroid assets and do a straight Metroid 2 remake with that, instead of trying to get all fancy with adding stuff that wasn't in the original game.

I like more the idea of Metroid Prime 1.5 than Metroid Prime 2.
MP2 dark/light world is over used in videogames and always felt shitty. Dark Samus was always worse than SA-X.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Finally got through the op. great post, thanks

This is basically just a repost of your previous research on "Metroid 1.5", nothing wrong with that I suppose

Well, yes. Plus the twenty-one pieces of concept art from a Retro Studios artist that may depict parts of the scenario, and the confirmation that there was internal discussion at Retro Studios about remaking the amazing Metroid 2.

I thought that minor stuff qualified the thread as being a bit more than "basically just a repost", but you are of course welcome to your opinion.

Someone just needs to take Super Metroid assets and do a straight Metroid 2 remake with that, instead of trying to get all fancy with adding stuff that wasn't in the original game.

In fairness, Metroid Zero Mission did the exact opposite of this, and is pretty-much universally considered to be miles better than the original Metroid.

Fuck yeah! And what the hell, for some reason I haven't heard about Metroid Prime 1.5... how could that have happened? Oh well about to read the document now.

I figured as much. Retro is like a revolving door of talent. They never should have let go of anyone who came from Iguana though. Corruption still receives a lot of praise but the art and animation just didn't live up to Prime's level imo.
That may be true, but living up to Prime's level is an almost impossible task.

And while Andrew Jones may not longer work under Retro, they still got some really really talented artists on their team.

Sammy Hall, just to name one, is fucking amazing really:

lookstastey_790_317_80.jpg

waypoint_609_790_80.jpg

cryolophbu_790_625_80.jpg

hangerblock_790_441_80.jpg

chozoweb_448_790_80.jpg

The Hermit

I hate you so much mama... You always make me want some games that can't happen anymore, especially from my fav franchises( metroid and legacy of kain).

Thanks a lot!

;)

dacuk

Mama Robotnik deserves a year of free GAF Gold Membership.

or at least, be promoted to Mod

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've always been under the impression that Jones was never formally employed at Retro, at least not with the intentions of staying there forever, and was only part of the team for the very original Prime. A lot of his scrapped work was reused for Echoes and Corruption, I believe.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck yeah! And what the hell, for some reason I haven't heard about Metroid Prime 1.5... how could that have happened? Oh well about to read the document now.

That may be true, but living up to Prime's level is an almost impossible task.

And while Andrew Jones may not longer work under Retro, they still got some really really talented artists on their team.

Sammy Hall, just to name one, is fucking amazing really:

chozoweb_448_790_80.jpg

Oh my god I can see Samus in this one.

Mama Robotnik said:
Ben Sprout said:
I’ve always thought it’d be awesome to remake Metroid 2. A group of us at Retro even discussed doing it as a side project at one point. Nothing ever came of it.

(Source: Ben Sprout, 2009)

This comment has gone unnoticed for a few years, but is the first confirmation that there were internal proposals at Retro Studios to remake Metroid II: Return of Samus. It would be utterly unheard of for this to be a fan-project secretly worked on by Nintendo staff, therefore we must assume the most obvious conclusion of an intended full retail or digital game.

The internal discussions regarding Metroid 2 Remake did not result in a game. A few possible reasons as to why:

Nintendo may have rejected the proposal.
This painful possibility could even suggest that Nintendo discarded Retro Studios’ Metroid 2 Remake over Metroid Prime Hunters or Metroid Prime Pinball.

Retro Studios may have decided to not pursue the project.
It could be that only a few members of Retro Studios wanted to pursue the Metroid 2 Remake project. The senior staff may have made the final decision to not make the game.

Retro Studios did not have enough resources to pursue the project
With their resources stretched with Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3, it could be that Retro simply did not have the resources to dedicate to the Metroid 2 Remake, and thus shelved the project.
I think you are reading WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too much into this single statement. Speaking as a game developer, on our teams we are always talking among each other "Man, I'd *love* to make a sequel to/remake of XXXX, I would add YYYY and ZZZZ, and really make it cool." "Yeah, and you could do AAAA and BBBB!" "Hey, why don't we just do this on the side, on our own - if it's cool, maybe we can talk our company into convincing the publisher to pay us to finish it". This isn't any official proposal, the company we work for won't ever hear of this let alone the publisher of the original project, etc. And chances are, nobody will have the time to do any work on it, so it won't even get started. Just a fun dream, idle talk. Heck, some of us at my company have talked about remaking Metroid II as well, since we've made other Metroid-vania games, and Metroid II has never been remade and as an old Gameboy game hasn't been played by many modern gamers. But of course we never did anything about it.

Top Bottom