• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My "simple" solution to the Covid-19 problem, which I thought was obvious, but nobody dares to voice

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Seems to me that the choice is shut down for 6-9 months and boomers live or have a big Corona orgy for one month and boomers die
I mean how do you expect boomers to get it if much like the general public they are inside and practicing social distancing. My province only has 20 cases for far for me thats 20 to many but the city now is a ghost town which is good. Seniors have specific hours first in the morning to grocery shop or are getting groceries delivered and their needs tended to etc. In situations like this everyone has a role they need to fulfill.

Papa

Banned
I mean how do you expect boomers to get it if much like the general public they are inside and practicing social distancing. My province only has 20 cases for far for me thats 20 to many but the city now is a ghost town which is good. Seniors have specific hours first in the morning to grocery shop or are getting groceries delivered and their needs tended to etc. In situations like this everyone has a role they need to fulfill.

But they’re not gonna be confined indoors in the Corona orgy you’re proposing

oagboghi2

Its narcisstic and silly to think your idea would work. Human beings aren't robots you can can play with. You're asking for a blowback

llien

even with an unlimited budget, you cannot just snap your fingers and have these massive supply chains created out of thin air - it takes a lot of time to get everything setup and running

Why would you need to create a new supply chain? Government would take over control, but use existing ones.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We have seen it being successfully pulled of in China.
Yes, that's a hard part, but closed borders are real already. You could do it within borders of any large enough territory.
And for how long do you want the borders closed? And how tightly?

llien

And for how long do you want the borders closed? And how tightly?
As tight as it gets.
Only the "exception" group can pass.
Everyone else must stay home.
Optimistically 6-8 weeks would suffice, in the worst case add 4 more weeks.

Note that we already have places in the Western world where this is enforced, bar "you can get out to buy basic supplies" bit.

PS
I think we have massive "no no, it' can't be real, it will be over in a couple of weeks, somehow... because I have never seen that happen before".
Look how we keep stepping up measures over time.
Australia is now in full swing "hell yeah, corona".
Notable exception is Japan, where people wear masks en mass and just work as before. It seems to work, as far as official stats go. But I wonder why do Japanese have much more masks available than Europeans.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As tight as it gets.
Only the "exception" group can pass.
Everyone else must stay home.
Optimistically 6-8 weeks would suffice, in the worst case add 4 more weeks.

Note that we already have places in the Western world where this is enforced, bar "you can get out to buy basic supplies" bit.

PS
I think we have massive "no no, it' can't be real, it will be over in a couple of weeks, somehow... because I have never seen that happen before".
Look how we keep stepping up measures over time.
Australia is now in full swing "hell yeah, corona".
The problem is, if you have different approaches among different countries, you would not be able to open the borders afterwards. Also the only reason this will be over in a couple of weeks is that the strategy taken by most countries is unsustainable. Public opinion will shift when companies drop like the flies and people lose their jobs and we will have just postponed the immunisation approach anyway.
Notable exception is Japan, where people wear masks en mass and just work as before. It seems to work, as far as official stats go. But I wonder why do Japanese have much more masks available than Europeans.
Probably because it is much more common in Japanese culture to wear masks in case of cold-like diseases?

llien

The problem is, if you have different approaches among different countries, you would not be able to open the borders afterwards
For big enough countries, getting to live as normal, bar border crossing, would still be a big deal.
A positive example of how to tackle it, coming from a western country, would also encourage other governments.

I also feel the readiness within EU for a more drastic joint measures grows, as situation in major EU countries worsens day by day... :(

Public opinion will shift when companies drop like the flies and people lose their jobs and we will have just postponed the immunisation approach anyway.
I perceive economy like this:
People produce goods and services.
People consume goods and services.
When consumption drops, so should production.
At the end of the day it means people spending and earning less (with no harm done to anyone, as your reduced income is proportional to your reduced consumption. I'd challenge that we need any movement of money and any income at all, just freeze it, all bank payments, everything, food is distributed, we press "pause" on normal economics, nobody can get fired, nobody will starve or will be forgotten, we are at war!!!).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Situation
Virus
life risk: up to 10-20% dead in the absence of medical assistant, not counting people dying in riots/marauders/protests
spreading: luckily, this shit cannot simply travel with wind for tens of kilometers and can be localized

The Solution
  1. We are at war. Government assumes corresponding extraordinary rights. (because we cannot function as we did before)
  2. Money and everything related to it is meaningless. You don't get paid for anything anymore. You don't pay for anything either. All transactions are frozen. Government takes care about distribution of resources
  3. Everyone, but the groups explicitly called out, is ordered stay home. Because, fuck you, you goddamn idiot, that's why.
  4. People who do not stay home, are regularly screened for infection, have the best protection against virus we have, and are:
    1. Medics (are treated as first class citizens, in case we run out of oxygen masks, medic gets it over non-medic, because fuck you, that's why)
    2. Army, that is helping with distributing food etc to the population
    3. Police, that is patrolling the streets
    4. Key sectors continue to run: electricity, water, food, internet, online/TV entertainment
    5. Some are boosted, whoever can produce: medical supplies, C19 tests and pumps in particular, medical equipment
    6. Drug research is not a high priority, but can be boosted as well
Note that most of it is essentially how China has handled it in the infected regions.

Approximate time it would take to address the virus problem: 8 to 12 weeks.
And then you just strike through those X weeks out of calendar, and continue to live as before.

Special note about "buh mah salari"
People's income should roughly reflect the consumption. As consumption goes down, so will production and so should the income. Basically people's income should go down proportionally to GDP decline. Simply freezing all payment allows to address the minimal needs of the population, without wasting effort on bureaucracy that would be needed to figure who needs to be paid what.
I absolutely agree, it's what I have been proposing for weeks. Just make the non essential world sleep for a couple of months financially. If you don't this will come back. Most people have no idea what "flatten the curve" means. It means making the whole thing last longer, so the hospitals can cope with it. You are going from 3 months of hard measures to a year of softer measures. Would you rather stay at home for three months or for a year? Because if you return to normal too soon, that curve is going to explode again. China realized this early on (when they had 400 infections overall) and decided to go nuclear on the virus, because in the end the effect on economy will be harder short term, but much lighter long term. The rest of the world is in for a bad surprise.

MrMephistoX

There are a couple of issues in that system that are more easily handled in a (semi ?)dictatorship like China than a western country :
- do you let people go out for food ? China delivered the food at your doorstep, it's not something that can easily be done here.
- which jobs can be completely stopped, and which cannot ? France started letting any company that isn't food, health or communication related stop their activity. Then they realized that truckers need open restaurants on the road. And food companies need cardboard and plastic wrappers to send their products. And vehicles need to be repaired in garages. etc.
- masks and tests are obviously aimed at health personel first, but there's not enough already.

In the end the confinement strategy is basically trying to do all of that, but in a looser way than what China did. That's one of the downsides of being in a country with more freedom.

My in-laws are mainlanders. Food delivery was for rural areas...in cities they let people go out once or twice a week to shop, masks were required and temperatures taken before entering super markets. Based on this weekend...yeah we need that here for solid 4 weeks.

llien

Trump figures there is a catch:

FYI guys, US GDP is above 21 Trillion.
StayHomeCauseVirus cuts it... in half at least? (I'm being optimistic)
So that's 10 trillion to evaporate (cause nobody is going to spend that anyhow, cause StayHome of course) a sum much higher than 2 trillion approved by Senate. (or Congress? Doesn't matter though)

Last edited:
Jesus people calm your tits.
Just issue a basic shut down for 2-3 weeks and check if the infections slow enough that the healthcare system is able to cope.

There is no master plan. You will just have to listen to the scientists and doctors looking at the numbers on a daily basis.

Don't let populists use this crisis to extend their power and abolish checks and balances.
Hungary, for example, has effectively become the EU's first dictatorship yesterday. That's a terrible development and doesn't aid fighting the virus at all.

lock2k

Banned
HTB1pGkhaxYaK1RjSZFnq6y80pXaP.jpg

Donate one of these to everyone.

Top Bottom