• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My sister keeps fishing for affection

Status
Not open for further replies.

samn

Every couple of days she'll send me a Facebook message saying 'I love you' and get very upset if I don't respond in kind.

I suppose it might be nice to hear that sort of sentiment every once in a while but it's really getting quite cloying now. I avoid starting conversations with her. If I say something funny she'll go on about how oh you're such a comedian I've always loved this about you bla bla bla. I'm starting to see the value of keeping emotions bottled up inside.

akira28

aww I miss when my kid sisters were like that. I would give them hugs. Now they're surly 20+ year olds with the face make up and the loud music.

samn

Have you made sure she's feeling alright? Maybe she's trying to talk to you.

Never hurts to be sure.

Well this has been going on for years now.

I'm just not comfortable with this kind of chatter.

Is this really normal behaviour? I don't interact like this with any of my family and friends and I'd find it unbearable if we did. I'm happy to know that we all care very much about each other without having to consciously express it so frequently.

Kater

Banned
Facebook interactions with relatives are always weird. Just talk to her on the telephone or on Skype (or Skype alternatives) instead.

Every couple of days she'll send me a Facebook message saying 'I love you' and get very upset if I don't respond in kind.

I suppose it might be nice to hear that sort of sentiment every once in a while but it's really getting quite cloying now. I avoid starting conversations with her. If I say something funny she'll go on about how oh you're such a comedian I've always loved this about you bla bla bla. I'm starting to see the value of keeping emotions bottled up inside.

yeah this is disturbing. I might expect that from a clingy ex girlfriend, not my sister. Tell her to find a boyfriend if she wants to start that shit.

samn

Some additional info: she got drunk recently and cornered my other sister in a hallway, grabbed her and said YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU AND I'D BE DISTRAUGHT IF ANYTHING HAPPENED and wouldn't let go until this was acknowledged.

I'm the youngest brother btw

Poyunch

eYlAZt0.gif

injurai

Banned
Some additional info: she got drunk recently and cornered my other sister in a hallway, grabbed her and said YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU AND I'D BE DISTRAUGHT IF ANYTHING HAPPENED and wouldn't let go until this was acknowledged.

I'm the youngest brother btw

this is the oldest drunk trope in the book

you sound like a great brother.

my thoughts exactly...holy crap, what a jerk of a brother she has...

I can understand if this was a lady friend, or a girlfriend you're not sure you like, but this is your fucking sister. Blood is thicker than water, and you sound like a jerk of a brother for not being there for your family like that.

maomaoIYP

Your sister sounds like someone I knew.
She was super clingy to her brother and her brother brought her along when he was on dates with his girlfriend. She broke up with him after a while (I fucking wonder why) and she starting clingy on to everyone else. She's married now, but still fishes for affection from people who aren't her husband.

samn

my thoughts exactly...holy crap, what a jerk of a brother she has...

I can understand if this was a lady friend, or a girlfriend you're not sure you like, but this is your fucking sister. Blood is thicker than water, and you sound like a jerk of a brother for not being there for your family like that.

I'm all for being 'there for each other' when somebody dies or we have Christmas or something but getting an 'I REALLY DO LOVE YOU' every day just seems a little much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom