• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'My son didn't hurt nobody:' David McAtee, Louisville business owner, killed by authorities

Timex

Sep 30, 2019
Terra
SOURCE

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — David McAtee, the owner of YaYa's BBQ in western Louisville, was shot and killed by law enforcement officers early Monday morning, an incident that's now under state and local police investigation.

McAtee was known as a "community pillar," said his mother, Odessa Riley.

"He left a great legend behind. He was a good person. Everybody around him would say that," she said. "My son didn't hurt nobody. He didn't do nothing to nobody."

Riley was among the hundreds who have swarmed the corner of 26th and Broadway on Monday where Louisville police and National Guard personnel were breaking up a "large crowd" that had gathered in the parking lot outside a Dino's Food Mart, according to law enforcement officials.

Chief Steve Conrad said in a statement on Monday how someone shot at officers and both officers and soldiers "returned fire." The identities of the suspect and the law enforcement officers who returned fire have not been released.
McAtee's mother and his nephew told The Courier Journal that he was known to feed police as well. The two said he would give law enforcement officers free meals.

"He fed them free," Riley said. "He fed the police and didn't charge them nothing."

"My son was a good son. All he did on that barbecue corner is try to make a dollar for himself and his family," she added. "And they come along and they killed my son."
Louisville police and National Guard troops, who have been monitoring protests in recent days, were breaking up a "large crowd" that had gathered in the food mart's parking lot at about 12:15 a.m. when someone shot at them, LMPD Chief Steve Conrad said this morning.

They returned fire, killing McAtee. No one else was injured.

Conrad said it is unclear if McAtee was the person who fired at officers.

So far, police have given few details about the circumstances and haven't yet indicated whether multiple officers or guardsmen opened fire.

Officials also haven't said whether the crowd was made up of protesters or customers, and some activists have questioned whether there was a protest in the lot at all.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
And here we go.

This is what they wanted. Someone to die at these protests to keep the flames going.

I grieve for her and the loss but these protests have moved past being peaceful. The best thing she could of done for her son was to tell him to stay home.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
And here we go.

This is what they wanted. Someone to die at these protests to keep the flames going.

I grieve for her and the loss but these protests have moved past being peaceful. The best thing she could of done for her son was to tell him to stay home.
Bingo! This poor old lady has lost a son and this is going to continue ad nauseam until people realize you can't fucking loot and shoot at the police and military. This shit has to end. We're ALL mad about what happened to George Floyd, but looting and destroying is going to result in more death, guaranteed. It's time to stand the fuck down.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
He might have been a good man generally, but at least from what's presented here, he wasn't acting that way at the time. They're just going to keep neutering the police until there's no fucking point to them even existing.

Reactions: Cravis

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Bingo! This poor old lady has lost a son and this is going to continue ad nauseam until people realize you can't fucking loot and shoot at the police and military. This shit has to end. We're ALL mad about what happened to this guy, but looting and destroying is going to result in more death, guaranteed. It's time to stand the fuck down.
Narrative is already being built that this cop was racist (no one knows who the cop was, was he black?) and just more systematic racism.

Of course they can't see that there are large scale riots across the US and the country is falling into anarchy. Nope some guy who I don't know who he is or his skin color that was being shot at in a riot must of eagled eyed this black guy and aimed squarly for him.

Article says they don't know if he was the one shooting at the cops, I am gonna take that as code word as he was the shooter but we don't want to say that now.

If I am wrong I will gladly admit my mistake. As long as its shown he wasn't anywhere near the shooter.

But more cities gonna burn now. Thats the goal of these riots. Keep pushing the race war.

Reactions: mickaus

Madflavor

Jul 27, 2018
People really outta know right now, based on what we've seen these past 3 days, that the police are NOT fucking around. Some are legit bad cops, some are desperately trying to restore order, and some are scared. So if they are telling you to disperse, and you do not disperse, then you need to take part of the responsibility if you get shot.

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
People really outta know right now, based on what we've seen these past 3 days, that the police are NOT fucking around. Some are legit bad cops, some are desperately trying to restore order, and some are scared. So if they are telling you to disperse, and you do not disperse, then you need to take part of the responsibility if you get shot.
The police absolutely are fucking around. Not by choice, necessarily, but if they were allowed to actually do their jobs, there'd be a hell of a lot more dead rioters littering the streets.

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
The police absolutely are fucking around. Not by choice, necessarily, but if they were allowed to actually do their jobs, there'd be a hell of a lot more dead rioters littering the streets.
killing a bunch of protesters/rioters isn't doing their job

Reactions: Timex

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Yeah. I'm sure he was as innocent as the fucking sunrise. If he had stayed home he'd still be alive.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
They're too busy arresting CNN reporters instead of going after rioters.
And the CNN reporters are busy telling lies about Russian collusion. What's the world come to?

Hell, the WaPo just ran a column headed by the author of the Antifa Handbook. How in the world do they expect the public to take them seriously when they are doing shit like this in the middle of a countrywide riot during the middle of a pandemic. I'm not one to usually say this, but there are those in the press who are acting straight up treasonous right now; they're trying to help burn the country down.

Last edited:

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
And the CNN reporters are busy telling lies about Russian collusion. What's the world come to?

Hell, the WaPo just ran a column headed by the author of the Antifa Handbook. How in the world do they expect the public to take them seriously when they are doing shit like this in the middle of a countrywide riot during the middle of a pandemic. I'm not one to usually say this, but there are those in the press who are acting straight up treasonous right now; they're trying to help burn the country down.
Way to stray off topic. But ya those CNN reporters had no business being arrested. Ya they're annoying, but they were anything but obnoxious and were complying with police direction at the time. Instead of clearing rioters they arrest a couple of reporters for the lulz

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Way to stray off topic. But ya those CNN reporters had no business being arrested. Ya they're annoying, but they were anything but obnoxious and were complying with police direction at the time. Instead of clearing rioters they arrest a couple of reporters for the lulz
It's not off topic; most of those calling themselves "press" are opinion hit men -- at best. The press' reputation as asshole licking toilet hounds has been well-earned.

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
It's not off topic; most of those calling themselves "press" are opinion hit men -- at best. The press' reputation as asshole licking toilet hounds has been well-earned.
You're quite the amusing one I tell you LOL!!! Your posts are one of the main reasons I come here.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Participating in a riot is a crime. The police can arrest anyone there for unlawful assembly.

The police have been incredibly soft with people.

Reactions: chocobomochi

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I read this one today. All of the Liberals are mad because he was shot while feeding people BBQ. He handed out free BBQ to officers too. Apparently the officers wanted him dead for this.

Cue up the high school pictures of him.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah, the police have been cucked. How dare they return fire.

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
Call me crazy but this sounds instigated just like the mysterious pile of bricks lying around, just like mysterious people keep destroying property not part of the original protestors. Someone came there to start shit to get the cops to fire. This is so sad and infuriating at the same time.

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
Don't expect to play in the mud and not get a little dirty.

I feel for this mother losing a child. No one should ever have to bury a child. With that said, I can't find it in me to feel for the guy nor anyone else that gets killed in all this mess doing things they shouldn't be doing. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Sep 20, 2015
You didn't answer the question.
You already know the answer. These types of people are programmed and set in their ways to think one way so they can only relay and research information that supports their one track mind. They have an agenda, and while they think they are part of the solution they couldn't be further from the truth.